Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

Indeed I imagine that post must have taken something like 3 hours to work on O_o

Speaking of bugs I've played WGR2 Siege Breaker again and the script glitch I had reported back then is still there, in the 3rd level of WGR "Getting Back to Nature" near the end with the 3 cyberdemons, when you kill them the door leading to the exit should open but instead I still get the message "A door has activated" while nothing happens >_>

I don't know if it's related to me using the Polymost render though I doubt it's relevant. Also I believe I got the latest version, the reason why I'm wondering :P

User is offline   FistMarine 

View PostPolunka, on 20 February 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

Woah, that's an immensely big deal of work you've done. Good job! Guess I've been absent for a little too long here (pun intended; see one of my previous posts where I addressed TheDragonLiner's absence ;)). The thing is, I'm not particularly interested in playing Duke 3D as of now (have been mostly into Doom/Quake 2 recently) plus NF is away (he must be busy with sth), he's not sent any posts in a while now.

Thanks man! I actually started working on suggestions and bug reports since December/January when I had some free time during holidays and I had saved on a text document ALL my suggestions and bug reports. After I finished with my exams about 10 days ago, I continued looking on what more maps and addons could be added, so I checked on review sites and still found some that I consider worthy to be included in the addon compilation. I wanted to make that post a few days ago but I wanted to make sure everything is working and looked at my fixed CON files and I also managed to make bobsp grp file working correctly with the edited CON file coming from original version of BobSPX. So I held the post until yesterday when I decided it's time to post all my suggestions and bug reports and so far everything looks fine.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 21 February 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

Indeed I imagine that post must have taken something like 3 hours to work on O_o

Speaking of bugs I've played WGR2 Siege Breaker again and the script glitch I had reported back then is still there, in the 3rd level of WGR "Getting Back to Nature" near the end with the 3 cyberdemons, when you kill them the door leading to the exit should open but instead I still get the message "A door has activated" while nothing happens >_>

I don't know if it's related to me using the Polymost render though I doubt it's relevant. Also I believe I got the latest version, the reason why I'm wondering :P

Well it took me a lot of hours to check for what should be added for next version (if you combine all that time from all the days I've worked on) but the post (which was pasted directly from the text document) took me about an hour to check if the links work using option Preview Post (I've actually added the url tags directly into the text file when I was working for suggestions, so there is less work when transitioning) and if there is a spelling mistake, as well as arranging the text on page and resizing when necessary.

As for WGRealms 2, I admit I never played the addon before but I have seen a playthrough on YouTube by someone known as WhamNinjaMolehill and it seems he also got stuck here and had to cheat:

I hope someone will fix the bug because when I will play the addon, I don't want to stumble upon this bug.

View PostRunningDuke, on 21 February 2017 - 04:32 AM, said:

As for WGRealms 2, I admit I never played the addon before but I have seen a playthrough on YouTube by someone known as WhamNinjaMolehill and it seems he also got stuck here and had to cheat:
https://www.youtube....h?v=NzpCVjyS4lk
I hope someone will fix the bug because when I will play the addon, I don't want to stumble upon this bug.

YES case and point ! Thank you for providing the proof that I wasn't going crazy and hallucinating :P
And I can assure you that if you play the original add-on from either MoDB or Fissile Materials, you will NOT get that bug (using the included EDuke32 because replacing it for a newer one will glitch the default shotgun's alt fire (the sight becomes severely misaligned as you aim upward)).

I suppose it is a script that has broken in the transition between the original EDuke32 snapshot and the newer one included in the compilation >_>

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 21 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 21 February 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

YES case and point ! Thank you for providing the proof that I wasn't going crazy and hallucinating :P
And I can assure you that if you play the original add-on from either MoDB or Fissile Materials, you will NOT get that bug (using the included EDuke32 because replacing it for a newer one will glitch the default shotgun's alt fire (the sight becomes severely misaligned as you aim upward)).

I suppose it is a script that has broken in the transition between the original EDuke32 snapshot and the newer one included in the compilation >_>

You're welcome.

As for the bug, now we need someone to test WGR2 with various builds of EDuke32 and see which is first build that contains the bug. I could do that for Metropolitan Mayhem because I know that in E5L14, the swing doors don't open in newer builds of EDuke32, so I will try to find the build that created the bug.

User is offline   Master O 

In Alien Extermination, Episode 2, Map 4: Broken Enclosure, where on earth is the blue key? It's really well hidden in the darkness. The hints.txt file doesn't say anything about this level, either.

This post has been edited by Master O: 25 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

User is offline   Polunka 

View PostMaster O, on 25 February 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

In Alien Extermination, Episode 2, Map 4: Broken Enclosure, where on earth is the blue key? It's really well hidden in the darkness. The hints.txt file doesn't say anything about this level, either.

I know it's a bit delayed, but here you go:
Spoiler

Btw, I agree with you upon the extreme darkness levels in this map, but this card, ironically enough, doesn't at all hide in the dark (you will see what I mean). Though it still does hide from you.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0002.png
  • Attached Image: duke0003.png
  • Attached Image: duke0004.png

This post has been edited by Polunka: 27 February 2017 - 02:05 AM

User is offline   Tetraflora 

So I tried looking around and couldnt find out how to get dukeplus to work with this compilation. It apparently is a thing for at least some of these episodes. Could anyone link or show me how to do this, I really would appreciate it.

Already tried both "custom game content directory" selection (the .bat included in Dukeplus should already do that since it utilize -game_dir DukePlus) and custom dukeplus.bat with "-g \addons\ .grp" parameter methods? It even works slightly modify the DUKEPLUS.CON depending the episode.

This list contains the episodes that should be more compatible, especially those of the first group.
https://forums.duke4...__1#entry269880

User is offline   Tetraflora 

Yeah I'm just trying to test it with one of the vanilla ones right now (aqua.grp) and the episode loads normally but DukePlus isn't active. I'm not really sure how to set up DukePlus with anything else, Sorry I'm kind of a noob at this.

User is offline   Cernex 

Quick question. Any plans in the far future -maybe, perhaps- to add Duke in Black and Robotech to the Addon Compilation? I know DiB is kindda buggy (that was kind of its "thing" back in the day), but so far it seems to play all right, if only for a couple of sound bugs (human enemies have alien roars sometimes). However, due to DiB's "thing", not sure exactly who's at fault on that one.

Robotech seems to KINDDA work. I did the step-by-step in the wiki article except I skipped the first step because I'm an idiot. Half of it seemed to work (enemy sprites, maps, and general images loaded... but not music, episode titles, or enemy sounds. Also, pretty sure the guns were re-balanced and for whatever reason that file didn't load either), so at least it should be workable, I'm guessing.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostPolunka, on 27 February 2017 - 02:01 AM, said:

I know it's a bit delayed, but here you go:
Spoiler

Btw, I agree with you upon the extreme darkness levels in this map, but this card, ironically enough, doesn't at all hide in the dark (you will see what I mean). Though it still does hide from you.

Wait, how did you get to that section, though? I see where it is on the map, but it appears to be blocked by a locked door.

Edit: Also, it appears that the Blue Key is not needed to exit the level, either. In the room that is opened by the red key, there is another door that opens into a lab and has a switch in there that opens the door to exit the level.

Maybe the Blue Key Door is for secrets, then?

This post has been edited by Master O: 27 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

View PostMaster O, on 27 February 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Maybe the Blue Key Door is for secrets, then?

Probably. I didn't wanna figure it out. You asked about the key, I found it.

So I guess you don't need it anymore?

This post has been edited by Polunka: 28 February 2017 - 01:02 AM

View PostRunningDuke, on 23 February 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

As for the bug, now we need someone to test WGR2 with various builds of EDuke32 and see which is first build that contains the bug. I could do that for Metropolitan Mayhem because I know that in E5L14, the swing doors don't open in newer builds of EDuke32, so I will try to find the build that created the bug.

Well I finally tested the swing doors from that map (both from addon compilation version and from moddb) with various builds of EDuke32 (including latest build r6079) and it turns out that it was working fine this whole time. The thing is first time I tested with DNMONSTERS cheat (to not have to deal with monsters and test the door directly) but seemed like they were blocking the doors and that's why they didn't open.

After testing for about 20 minutes and seeing that doors still don't open, I realized that the (invisible) monsters are preventing the doors from being opened. So I decided to simply kill the monsters from that room first, instead of using the DNMONSTERS cheat and voila, the swing doors finally opened! Tested with various builds, it all seems to be working fine. Now I feel a bit stupid for not trying this earlier. :P

View PostRunningDuke, on 03 March 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

Well I finally tested the swing doors from that map (both from addon compilation version and from moddb) with various builds of EDuke32 (including latest build r6079) and it turns out that it was working fine this whole time. The thing is first time I tested with DNMONSTERS cheat (to not have to deal with monsters and test the door directly) but seemed like they were blocking the doors and that's why they didn't open.

After testing for about 20 minutes and seeing that doors still don't open, I realized that the (invisible) monsters are preventing the doors from being opened. So I decided to simply kill the monsters from that room first, instead of using the DNMONSTERS cheat and voila, the swing doors finally opened! Tested with various builds, it all seems to be working fine. Now I feel a bit stupid for not trying this earlier. :P

Invisible monsters ?

You mean there is an invisible monster in the add-on version ? Sounds most plausible, but then how can we make the door open ?

Sorry but even with those enlightenments we still can't get the door open, especially since you were using cheats (for comfort's sake I know (would have done the same should I have had time)), or maybe I'm being silly again >_>

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 03 March 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

Invisible monsters ?

You mean there is an invisible monster in the add-on version ? Sounds most plausible, but then how can we make the door open ?

Sorry but even with those enlightenments we still can't get the door open, especially since you were using cheats (for comfort's sake I know (would have done the same should I have had time)), or maybe I'm being silly again >_>

No, I meant the fact that when you use DNMONSTERS cheat, the monsters completely disappear and you can't collide with them but they can still block the doors and prevent them from opening if they are right in front of them.

In the map, there are a couple of slimer eggs and a protector drone, the eggs being positioned right in front of swing doors but because before I was using DNMONSTERS cheat at start of map, they became "invisible" when I reached them and because of that, the swing doors couldn't open. See the screenshot below, you can clearly see what I mean this time.

And there is no difference of Metropolitan Mayhem between the moddb release and included version in compilation, so we can safely say that everything works properly as it should be. Sorry if all of this sounded confusing but I tried to clarify everything.

View PostRunningDuke, on 03 March 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

No, I meant the fact that when you use DNMONSTERS cheat, the monsters completely disappear and you can't collide with them but they can still block the doors and prevent them from opening if they are right in front of them.

In the map, there are a couple of slimer eggs and a protector drone, the eggs being positioned right in front of swing doors but because before I was using DNMONSTERS cheat at start of map, they became "invisible" when I reached them and because of that, the swing doors couldn't open. See the screenshot below, you can clearly see what I mean this time.

And there is no difference of Metropolitan Mayhem between the moddb release and included version in compilation, so we can safely say that everything works properly as it should be. Sorry if all of this sounded confusing but I tried to clarify everything.

Attachment capt0000.png

Oh okay I understand now ... a bit O_o

Although I realize I didn't pay enough attention to your post because I thought you were talking about WGR2 while in reality you were talking about Metropolitan Mayhem ... Just as I was saying : I'm being silly again :P

I understand that you're still having your "creative break" and am slightly reluctant to bump the thread, but I've recently found out about and played an old (the third quarter of 1998) but decent (IMO) episode which is called The Real Bad Ass and consists of 8 levels (including 1 secret level). It's got a rating of 88 on CGS, and I'm pretty much at peace with the reviewer (Puritan himself).

The most notable aspect of it, as I think, is an awesome story written level-by-level. Continually, as a whole, the episode is a sequel to the events of the original 3 episodes. The story is not as mind-blowing and thorough but it still deepens the immersion while playing the episode. I liked the gameplay a lot as well. There are some well thought out twists that add to the variety, which benefits the whole impression to a great extent. Plus some creative technical sequences have been put in by the author (like, for example, a series of "airstrikes" on one of the last levels). I found enemy placement and ammo/monster ratio to be fine for the most part (sometimes you will get a bit overwhelmed with amounts of ammo thrown at you but that wasn't big of a deal to me). Also, some levels involved backtracking but I didn't find it frustrating.

The architecture is mostly blocky but still acceptable (especially for '98) and improves as you get further through the episode. Nothing really impressive yet it's worth seeing (kinda like Total Apocalypse I suggested a while ago).

If you want to add this episode to the compilation in the future (after trying it out yourself, ofc), I'll leave the link to the CGS review here.

BY THE WAY, the USER.CON provided with the episode didn't wanna run at first (there were 3 warnings and 1 error), but when I looked into the logfile it said one specific parameter hadn't been defined. I'm not familiar with CON coding myself but I managed to fix the error anyway (since I'd remembered that DEFS.CON stores all definitions for everything; guess the author shoulda thrown in a custom DEFS.CON additionally). I didn't care about the warnings and I have no idea what that parameter's responsible for but I think you'll figure it out (though I have a suspicion that it could probably handle some of those technical sequences).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 24 April 2017 - 06:54 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

The other name the person goes by is Ray Tracer & I have an updated version of the maps from '99 if you decide you want to add this episode to your compilation.
Also the included con appears to have been modified since the file sizes are different - but in what way it was changed, I don't know, as I haven't tried to play either of them in recent history

http://www.mediafire...g36/trba_v2.zip

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 April 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostForge, on 24 April 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

The other name the person goes by is Ray Tracer...

Oh, I remember playing some maps by Ray Tracer in the past (most remarkably Maia and Taygeta which I think should be a sequel to the former). So he's actually the author of the episode. Useful knowledge, I guess, especially given that there aren't any other maps by him released under his real (?) name at CGS.

I think I'll play that updated version later. Thanks for sharing, Forge! :blink: And I think NF will give you a big thanks as well if he ever wishes to add the episode to the compilation.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 25 April 2017 - 04:12 AM

Pardon for bump but it's been a year since the last update, so I decided to repost all my bug reports, fixes I've done myself and suggestions for the next version, in case there's going to be a new update soon.
Originally I posted my suggestions here, but I figured it's time to update that list with suggestions with more recent releases and re-arranging some of these as well.
Warning: huge spoiler ahead!

Spoiler

EDIT: The fixes didn't attach, so you will have to get them from previous post.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 09 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well I guess it's fair enough to give an update by myself after all this time. However, I am afraid it's not a good one. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to do even one single thing regarding this project in the meantime, and as you can already guess that's not gonna change for the rest of this year.

No clue when I am able to resume this, but at least there will be more than enough to change and add as soon as I am able to.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

No problem about not working on the compilation, I can understand you needed a break.

About my previous post with suggestions, I just noticed that I made some mistakes: I forgot to remove some maps from Urban Map Pack list which I already included in Bolduc Pack and Sinister Pack. I must have done the transition recently but did not carefully check all the maps, therefore some of them will appear twice. And I also noticed that the map Tower of Babel in DN64 Pack, isn't actually made by the author, he just beta tested the map but he isn't the creator (despite Steam workshop listing him as one of authors of the map), so this one can just be not included in the pack.

I wish I could edit my previous post but looks like I'm not able to anymore. And I'm not going to make another post just with these small changes.

A couple of candidates already mentioned in the past, many should be simple and fast to insert.

"Epic" map

https://forums.duke4...attach_id=11256

Turn the "Hours" series by Forge into a consecutive episode

Duke 3:16
http://msdn.duke4.net/mapsduke316.php

Duke 23:4
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotduke234.php

Duke 6:08
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotduke68.php

Duke 12:12
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotduke12.php

Taking-Boise by opusvideo

http://www.moddb.com...em-taking-boise

Turok trilogy by Duke64nukem (yep, in the meantime it became an episode since the last proposal)

http://www.moddb.com...k-nukem-vanilla

RBCP: Russian Build Community Project

RBCP 1

http://m210.duke4.ne...y-build-project

RBCP 2

http://m210.duke4.ne...-build-project2

Cursed Lands

http://m210.duke4.ne...10-cursed-lands

Mark Graveyard

https://forums.duke4...ease-graveyard/

Pathces.

patch 1

https://forums.duke4...&attach_id=9113

Patch 2

https://forums.duke4...&attach_id=9185

Fer "Destination Ghetto"

https://www.reddit.c...tinationghetto/
http://www.mediafire...db0c0w/7son.zip

DG Manual https://forums.duke4...&attach_id=5054

Fix that button annoying thing in Complex

https://forums.duke4...post__p__267837

We should consider to include one Christmas custom map/episode for the occasion?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

There won't be a release for Christmas, if you were hoping for that. I am working abroad these days and have no time.

Fantinaikos, most of your links don't work. And I already suggested before some of maps/addons that are in your post like the maps by Forge and that Turok Nukem mod. :D

Dah, it's fault of the direct copypasting. ;):D

Just use the links from the old posts, they are not changed.

https://forums.duke4...ndpost&p=266005

https://forums.duke4...ndpost&p=261283

There won't be a release for Christmas, if you were hoping for that. I am working abroad these days and have no time.

I thought there were more people engaged in making the compilation instead of REALLY you only (excluding the testers).

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 10 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

View PostFantinaikos, on 10 December 2017 - 06:25 AM, said:

... (excluding the testers).

Well, I don't even think there're those who could be called "testers" legitimately (in the complete sense of this word). Pretty much 90% of the work is done by NF himself (IMO). The rest of the people hanging out in this thread occasionally posting about minor glitches and suggesting minor things can't be considered whom I conceive as testers. Just your average players stumbling upon things that shouldn't have been there in the first place, most of the time randomly.

Just my two cents y'all. :D

This post has been edited by Polunka: 10 December 2017 - 07:08 AM

Well, I just played and finished two addons for now: The Christmas Project and Grins of Divinity.

All I can say is that The Christmas Project was interesting and experienced nothing out of place, though you may want to add a hint in the readme when you reach the Cathedral at end of the second level, to continue you have to blow up the left fan. I thought for a second that some bug prevented me from continuing but after I replayed map once again and reached same spot, I realized I must be missing something, until I watched an YouTube video of the addon and figured I needed to blow up the fan to go down and reach spaceship and that's it. Also there seems to be a map called INTERLUDE that doesn't seem to be part of the episode and after playing it, nothing seems to happen in it. So maybe the map could be removed.

But for Grins of Divinity, I have mixed feelings about this addon. Not only some of the art style is really ugly but also I've experienced some game breaking bugs that I think should be looked upon. In level 2 (the dam level) I couldn't find any way to progress after I arrived underground at some pipes and I decided out of curiosity to download original version of the addon and there was supposed to be a switch present that doesn't appear at all in the addon compilation version. So because of that I couldn't finish the map without cheating. Later, I found another problem but with the fourth level where for some reason I couldn't open the gate at the end of the level right before the exit, so I had to cheat again with NOCLIP to finish the level. I think you should look on these bugs, I understand the level design is quite confusing, especially at beginning but it gets much better later with shorter levels and better designed levels. I just couldn't stand the first couple of levels. Oh and there is also some pointless map called NULL.map, I think it should be removed too.

These are the only issues so far. Soon I will be playing more addons and I will report anything that seems out of place. Oh and Merry Christmas!

View PostRunningDuke, on 25 December 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

Well, I just played and finished two addons for now: The Christmas Project and Grins of Divinity.

All I can say is that The Christmas Project was interesting and experienced nothing out of place, though you may want to add a hint in the readme when you reach the Cathedral at end of the second level, to continue you have to blow up the left fan. I thought for a second that some bug prevented me from continuing but after I replayed map once again and reached same spot, I realized I must be missing something, until I watched an YouTube video of the addon and figured I needed to blow up the fan to go down and reach spaceship and that's it. Also there seems to be a map called INTERLUDE that doesn't seem to be part of the episode and after playing it, nothing seems to happen in it. So maybe the map could be removed.

But for Grins of Divinity, I have mixed feelings about this addon. Not only some of the art style is really ugly but also I've experienced some game breaking bugs that I think should be looked upon. In level 2 (the dam level) I couldn't find any way to progress after I arrived underground at some pipes and I decided out of curiosity to download original version of the addon and there was supposed to be a switch present that doesn't appear at all in the addon compilation version. So because of that I couldn't finish the map without cheating. Later, I found another problem but with the fourth level where for some reason I couldn't open the gate at the end of the level right before the exit, so I had to cheat again with NOCLIP to finish the level. I think you should look on these bugs, I understand the level design is quite confusing, especially at beginning but it gets much better later with shorter levels and better designed levels. I just couldn't stand the first couple of levels. Oh and there is also some pointless map called NULL.map, I think it should be removed too.

These are the only issues so far. Soon I will be playing more addons and I will report anything that seems out of place. Oh and Merry Christmas!

About Grins Of Divinity I experienced the same issue with the 2nd level.

Also, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but the hit detection on the enemies is kinda weird, I never understand why I miss/hit them, and the auto-aiming doesn't seem to help in that regards >_>

Yeah, the same has happened to me. But even then the pistol is still relatively good in this case because the aliens always seem to drop ammo for it and contains 24 ammo too, so that's something. Well of course you may need to get closer to them to hit them because it seems auto-aim doesn't work on this enemy and their lasers quite hurt a bit.

I also noticed something with the health pickups. It seems I can't pick up the large medkit if my health is 70 or more and the small medkit if health is 90 or more. I'm guessing this is done so that I don't accidentally pick up health at let's say 99 but it can be annoying sometimes if you need health and it's around 70 or you want to exit level with as much health as possible but can't pick up the health that is still available in the level. At least portable medkits and water fountains still restore health to full.

Oh well, I will continue playing/testing some of the addons in the compilation.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options