Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Escape - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Escape  "Can you Escape the City invaded by aliens?"

User is offline   Maisth 

Hey everyone, im happy to announce that Escape is finally releasing after a long time.

I also want to say that Escape won't be the only map ill make for Duke3D, im working on a Sequel already to clarify what happens next, but for now this is all so i hope you enjoy the map!

Playable on Polymer, Polymost is possible but im pretty sure it has some graphical glitches.

Story: Alien's have invaded Earth again and just when Duke's having a relaxing vacation in another country, General Graves immediately calls Duke to tell him, that the Earth needs him once again, what a surprise says Duke, General Graves tell him that there's a plane waiting for him at the nearest airport, "Go now Duke, we need you more than ever now".

Download Link: http://www.mediafire...pigb/ESCAPE.zip

After playing the map you could leave feedback on what to get better at.

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Maisth: 25 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

User is offline   BestViking 

Congratulations! This was very impressive for a first map.

In the text file, you state that you want feedback, so I'll tell you what I liked about the map and what could be better. The most important things first.

Spoiler

I really liked the way you used destruction in your map, with falling ceilings, exploding ceilings with liztroops jumping in from above etcetra. In some cases, the dimensions seemed a bit off. One example is swinging doors going all the way up to the ceiling. This would be better if you made a doorway sector and lowered the ceiling there. Especially in the toilets those swinging doors felt really huge. These could be made better by raising them up from the floor and leaving a gap to the ceiling, like in most toilets.

I liked how you took the player from the city to some kind of base. It was really interesting to see how you introduced new locations. The balance between enemies and weapons is pretty good. In the later stages of the city part, I ran out of ammo, but quickly found more. You set up the bigger battles very well too.

Can't think of much more right now. In summary I congratulate you on a very good first release. I really enjoyed playing it!

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Congratulations on you first map! Like how Bestviking said it, the explosions and falling ceiling where good places. There where some explosive gastanks that didn't all go off. And if you can try ad details to certain locations. I enjoyed!

Notherless good luck with the next one :D

User is offline   Polunka 

Dammit, you know what man? It's not like I simply played through your map - I played the hell outta it! ;) Seriously, I've not experienced such an intense stream of adrenaline blasting through a Duke3D map for a while. The music track only added even more to the atmosphere build-up.

The design/spritework/lighting/shading aspects are outdone for a first release if you ask me (well, maybe I'm just unfamiliar with today's Duke3D mapping standards, not being a mapper myself, so consider this statement unsupported and unreliable if you will). The only thing I'd complain about is mild emptiness of some locations.

Technical sequences used here could also be qualified as really unorthodox for a first release. So many demolition sequences, the car crash sequence near the beginning...

The gameplay pretty much develops the atmosphere prematurely established by the soundtrack. I especially liked the bridge battle and the ending fight.

All in all, a level that (and I'm gonna repeat myself) doesn't feel like someone's first map at all (in a good way, as I've already claimed). Congrats on this one. Holy shit, I'd even say I can't wait for another outcome of yours! Keep up the good work! :D

P.S.: I played this one in software mode (since it's my favourite, which could be altered to PolymerNG in the future if they ever release it and it manages to impress me) and other than some sprite/sector overlaps I didn't really notice any graphical glitches.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 26 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

User is offline   Maisth 

Thanks for liking and playing my map everyone, and also thanks for the feedback ill be sure to take these in mind when creating my next map

Also don't worry im already working on a sequel to explain what happens next.

User is offline   Maisth 

Also if you want to play the map on World Tour here's the link so you can download it!

http://steamcommunit.../?id=1212781537

User is offline   CruX 

yeah to echo other sentiments this is pretty solid for a first release, though I'd be lying if I said there weren't some distinct "first map" characteristics (large nondescript areas, inconsistent proportioning, texturing goofs, etc). Was fun overall, though. The track was strangely appropriate because even though it was kinda jarring at first, it ended up complimenting the map's pacing better and better the more I played.

Spoiler

All in all though, I liked it. Made for a fun 15-20 minutes, hope to see more from you.

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostCruX, on 26 November 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

yeah to echo other sentiments this is pretty solid for a first release, though I'd be lying if I said there weren't some distinct "first map" characteristics (large nondescript areas, inconsistent proportioning, texturing goofs, etc). Was fun overall, though. The track was strangely appropriate because even though it was kinda jarring at first, it ended up complimenting the map's pacing better and better the more I played.

Spoiler

All in all though, I liked it. Made for a fun 15-20 minutes, hope to see more from you.

Thats weird, that bug didn't happen to me in both the game and editor, also thanks for the feedback and for playing the map and enjoying it!

I agree too on the window thingy, i didn't give the windows that do break a different kind of window and vice versa, which is something i thought sometime when developing the map but never implemented into it

User is offline   Maisth 

My second map is under development now, if you wanna see how it looks here's two link!

https://forums.duke4...map-detain-wip/

https://gamebanana.com/wips/47866

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Like you said, this map is the bomb. I'm still laughing of that dog, you know which one. :D

I enjoy maps with that kind of details in the background, like the car crashing at the beggining, or the dead liztroop on that toilet full of shit. I also like that button in the airport that hides the television screen and opens a window behind it. I found the final battle with all those elevated platforms very well done, and the airplane at the end is also cool, but is so dark that I almost couldn't appreciate it.

And if you want feedback; some of the outdoor areas are a bit empty, and like I said in the Lighthouse Island's thread, spritework shows some errors in classic renderer, maybe you want to avoid that in your upcoming map.

User is offline   Maisth 

View PostPerro Seco, on 29 November 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Like you said, this map is the bomb. I'm still laughing of that dog, you know which one. :D

I enjoy maps with that kind of details in the background, like the car crashing at the beggining, or the dead liztroop on that toilet full of shit. I also like that button in the airport that hides the television screen and opens a window behind it. I found the final battle with all those elevated platforms very well done, and the airplane at the end is also cool, but is so dark that I almost couldn't appreciate it.

And if you want feedback; some of the outdoor areas are a bit empty, and like I said in the Lighthouse Island's thread, spritework shows some errors in classic renderer, maybe you want to avoid that in your upcoming map.

Thanks dude, also about the sprite thingy, the sequel will still have spirtework but hopefully not all glitchy as Escape, apparently Polymer and Polymost doesn't like Sprites on the walls, Ill try to make some outdoor areas in the sequel feel alive somehow.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Well done map!

I have to agree with the others: for a first map this is really good. It's still a bit rough around the edges and some of the invisible walls were a bit weird.
But it's already doing a lot of things right: good looking shadows, dynamic environment, interesting fire fights (the one on the bridge was my favorite).

In short: keep up the good work. :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options