Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Slaughterfest - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Slaughterfest  "It's him again!"

This map is very hard. The name says it all - it's filled with all sorts of monsters.
You start without any weapons.
I recommend you to play on Do It! (Come Get Some) difficulty to fully experience what I was trying to do.

Save your ammo!

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Attached File(s)

User is offline   MetHy 

Great map, 30mins on the counter (but you can count at least 15 mins more due to dying a few times) and found 3 secrets out of 4.

Great fun all the way through. When seeing the name of the map I was expecting packs of hundreds of enemies with shitty enemy placement with tons of explosives but that's not what this map is about at all.
Very progressive with a good progression over what weapons you find little by little.
Great enemy placement and choice of enemies.

Good visual design - and by that I mean good enough. This map was made in 2 days, once again showing that Duke3D usermaps have a LOT to gain if mappers focused more on making gameplay-oriented maps with a small time limit building constraint rather than trying to focus on silly details.

The music pumped me up too. I know it but I can't remember what it's from?

You should fix 3 things though :
- the respawns at the light house didn't work the first time I went in
- the elevator unlocked by the yellow card : if you come back inside the room after using it you'll see a wrong texture for it and you can't use it anymore
- the final boss is able to go further and above where she's supposed to be, meaning that you can't kill her. Well, what happened is that she spawned BEHIND the wall for me, that is to say behind playing area in an unreachable place. Not sure if that's where she's supposed to spawn. Couldn't kill her because of that.

9,5/10 map

edit : I forgot to add : great health item placement too.
Also I really liked how you're not provided with explosive weapons at first yet a few BLords are already loose on the street. So I tried to sneak in a back alley only to end up surrounded by a BLord on each end! That's when I realized you could take a ladder up the roof of the building in the middle, I quickly climbed it just before ending up in sandwich. Great level layout, really.

Duke3D really lacks this kind of usermaps. I hope you make more.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 16 August 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

RotT (also in the last map of Water Bases).

I nearly shat myself when used the switch in the burning building and not only windows open to show two battlelords, those alien freaks IMMEDIATELY jumped at me and torn to pieces. Great map, need to give it more play tomorrow.

User is offline   t800 

"This map taught me using quick save/load keys." :)

So, phew, this map was one hell of thrilling ride. I played at Do It! difficulty (3rd skill) as you suggested and my final score was: T:56 min, K:319/320, S:2/4.
I had some truly adrenaline pumping moments, like once when Blord chased me into alley and I immediately ran into swarm of Newbeasts ahead of me, heh. I think, Mister Sinister, that you took too seriously my complain about abundance of hydrants in your previous map. I surely wouldnt mind them in map such as this. :) You succeeded at creating such good map in 4 days?! That is nice achievement, have you considered particapating at some speed building project/contest? I was missing only 2 things: shrinker and Pigcops Recon Patrol Vehicles (why so many map builders forget about them nowadays?), they would fit nicely those big streets, dont you think? I also found one nasty bug, one Blord at final boss battle glitched out, he ignored me and I couldnt hurt him because he was like ghost, all projectiles went trough him.

----------------------------------------------------------
Hey Paul B, I dare you to try this map on 3rd difficulty! You said that ck3D's map Bummed Out was unfairly difficult, then you should definitely try this. :P

Challenge to all hardcore dukers who can play trough whole Duke3D with closed eyes, prove me that this map can be finished in one run without using saving/loading even once. I do want to see that, so record some videos of it.

View PostMetHy, on 16 August 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Maybe also this rings some bells? :

This post has been edited by t800: 17 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postt800, on 17 August 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Challenge to all hardcore dukers who can play trough whole Duke3D with closed eyes, prove me that this map can be finished in one run without using saving/loading even once. I do want to see that, so record some videos of it.

Challenge accepted. I'll try it (on Skill3) a bit later (in around half an hour) and I'll even stream it live while recording if anybody cares about watching

User is offline   MetHy 

There we go: http://www.twitch.tv/nesfog

User is offline   t800 

View PostMetHy, on 17 August 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Are you having problems with connection?

EDIT: Damnit! MetHys stream got cancelled because his GPU died out.

This post has been edited by t800: 17 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

It worked fine for 10 mins and then crashed. It crashed my entire computer, fucked up my windows 7 (thank god I barely use it because i still have XP installed on another hard drive). My video card was burning up so I had to take it out, and now if i want to play and stream at the same time it lags so... show's cancelled.

I have a curse wityh streaming. A few years back I could stream ANYTHING just fine now everytime I try some random shit comes up and it gets worse every time

Thanks for your feedback, guys! I'm really glad you like it.

show's cancelled.

Too bad, you nailed almost 1/3 of the map without dying. You're damn good. :)

That is nice achievement, have you considered particapating at some speed building project/contest?

I haven't heard of any, actually. I've participated in CBP8 (1 week/1638 walls CBP), but since during the develoment time limit was gone it doesn't count.

I was missing only 2 things: shrinker and Pigcops Recon Patrol Vehicles

I think Shrinker is way too powerful for this map.
As for Recon Patrol Vehicles I think they are kinda harmless. Even turrets are more dangerous then RCV.

I think, Mister Sinister, that you took too seriously my complain about abundance of hydrants in your previous map. I surely wouldnt mind them in map such as this. :P

:) Ha, I actually wanted to completly remove them since they are ultimate source of unlimited health.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I actually played the map earlier today without dying, took me 15 minutes, found two secrets.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Fun map: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotslaughter.php

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Another third rate point of view from that "other" site:
http://www.scent-88....aufest/slau.php

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostForge, on 18 August 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

Another third rate point of view from that "other" site:
http://www.scent-88....aufest/slau.php

I agree about the ending fight being the worse part of the map. Even if it didn't glitch on me, it would have just been "spam with the devastator" until it dies.

It would have been more interesting if ammo and health were spread out all around the map in small closed areas near the streets, and the player was given a viewscreen showing where they are before he presses a button that opens them all while opening the door to the boss at the same time. Like this, the Queen would have time to spawn Newbeasts as the player was going back&forth to get ammo in the map, and it might also have made the fight take place in several places (as the Queen would follow you).

Just a thought....

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Fantastic map ! Took me 45 minutes, got 254 kills and found 2 secrets.

I think this is the epitome of what the original Duke Nukem 3D is all about ! Old-school flavored, deserted street settings turned into a warfield, without anything unpractical getting in the way of the player and only strengthening the gameplay immersion ; interconnected layout with heaps of interactivity (explosions and buildings that open up and allow the player to make it back onto the main street) ; a very professional look overall.

I really really liked how it's obvious that you focused on the 2D layout rather than on mindless 'detailing', without neglecting the vertical axis either (those two symetrical beaches on a lower section surrounding the T-shaped section of the first road are pure genius), yet the aesthetics didn't disappoint and it retained the feel of a map that could have easily been in one of the original episodes ! The upbeat soundtrack also worked really well and made me feel like I was playing Lameduke which is always good for nostalgia's sake.

The gameplay was exactly my kind of thing, lots of firefights that manage to be intense yet very intellingently planned out (once again, the layout works really well with how the enemys' AI's function). Some of the respawns or activations, or even monsters hiding in corners took me by surprise a bunch of times ! I also got myself in a few situations that looked really horrid at first (ie. getting stuck on that rooftop with only 1% health and battlelords waiting at the bottom), but I still managed to get myself out of everything without cheating once which is another sign of good design (ie. as far as the forementioned instance goes, I noticed I could jump onto one of those lower ledges instead of straight back onto the street - which would have killed me due to the height, which also allowed me to leave the battlelords behind and go get health somewhere). The beginning was tough but I managed to make it through by making every bullet count, I actually even had to resort to tactics on the first beach-like area because I was playing on a bright monitor in a fairly bright environment and thus I missed the pistol for the first 10 mins, meaning I had to strafe around all the monsters so that they killed themselves, lure the tougher ones into that tripmine trap, and could finish the remaining ones with the mighty foot. Then it progressively got easier after the entire street section was cleared of its original bunch of monsters. (I was beefed up with all kinds of weaponry by the time the respawns occured so I didn't struggle as much after that)

The end wasn't a let down for me because all the monsters did not notice me at first, instead they activated in thirds, meaning I had to deal with them in waves that would follow me back to the main street, making for some very intense fights, then the queen was easy to kill with the leftover ammunition, it still put up some sort of fight though because what MetHy suggested in his post above mine actually happened to me (by the time I had killed all of its minions, it had given birth to quite a bunch of newbeasts already that kept coming in waves).

This is the best map I have played in ages, congratulations and thank you for sharing it with us !

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Another try, this time on 3rd difficulty level. Time 25:46, 315 kills, one secret found. Pretty intense map, hope to see more done in this style :P

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postt800, on 17 August 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

"This map taught me using quick save/load keys." :)

Hey Paul B, I dare you to try this map on 3rd difficulty! You said that ck3D's map Bummed Out was unfairly difficult, then you should definitely try this. :P

I'm a bit behind right now, so i'll have to play this one on the weekend. Sorry to hear about your misfortune Methy, however the story is rather humorous when associated to this map. There are obviously a lot of enemies in this map. =P Anyway, I tried to watch what you had uploaded but it only played a commercial then said video was offline.

So just for the record I won't be recording my play through as I have a feeling I am going to wear out the save and load keys on my keyboard. But i'm very interested to try this map. I always enjoy seeing / playing other peoples creations. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

User is offline   t800 

View PostPaul B, on 19 August 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Anyway, I tried to watch what you had uploaded but it only played a commercial then said video was offline.

You can still watch part he managed to broadcast before crash (12 mins, like 1/4 finished of map), it fortunately got saved, check it out > http://www.twitch.tv...fog/b/447207775

This post has been edited by t800: 20 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Too hard for me, I died countless times. :P
Seems I did not do enough actual game play recently.

User is offline   Apiai 

Thanks for the wonderful challenge this map offers ! Damn it's really hard at the beginning !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options