Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] GOTCHA! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] GOTCHA!  "Gotcha Now!"

User is offline   Jolteon 

PLEASE READ BEFORE PLAYING!
To play the map properly, bring out everything from the zip (the con), and put it in your Eduke32 folder. After that, run the .bat that was included in the zip.

GOTCHA!

This map is a remake of the DOOM II level Gotcha! Reimagined in Duke 3D. This one might be more basic since it is a remake of a Doom II map. But it can still be fun, and quite difficult, especially the boss fight in the beginning.

With the exception of the Mini Cycloid Emperor and the bigger Bosses that won't end the level, There are no new enemies on this level at all (No Snake Heads, No PigCop Captains, etc.).

There are two bugs That I am aware of (Well three if you count OverLord floating until he sees you). Firstly The Big Overlord can hurt himself with his own rockets, and the Big Battlelord can appear small, but once he sees you, He'll instantly becomes huge (Reminds me of Total Meltdown in a way :blink: ).

As always I hope you enjoy the map :blink: .

Spoiler

Attached Image: duke0187.png Attached Image: duke0189.png Attached Image: duke0190.png
Attached Image: duke0191.png Attached Image: duke0193.png Attached Image: duke0192.png

Attached File  gotcha.zip (3.78MB)
Number of downloads: 262

User is offline   Lunick 

I definitely like the design of the level and you made the level look much more inspired compared to the original Doom map. Not a fan of the gameplay though.

User is offline   Polunka 

I'll give it a try later. I've come to like your maps because of additional con coding plus often original design ideas.

I gotta admit tho, I kinda don't like the whole idea of porting various DOOM levels over to BUILD (Duke3D in particular, tho I can't quite bring up any examples from other BUILD games :blink: ) since I think Duke3D's main design concept aims at depicturing realistic scenery while DOOM is more about gameplay emphasis (which, btw, I can't by any means say about some recent DOOM community outcomes such as Ancient Aliens, for instance).

Anyway, I hope we'll see more maps from you (tho I guess you've already released enough of what I consider decent maps).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 08 April 2017 - 04:00 AM

Nice idea but the execution is kinda lacking. Map is mad hard (the onslaught after opening the first door is a bit much, maybe remove the Enforcer?), and the Protector Drones in the last room are also an overkill. I'd rebalance it a bit (add an extra atomic health in the "arena room", a medkit here and there). Big kudos for including all the secrets.

There is a major bug on my end, all Overlords seem to be frozen and don't attack me... maybe that's for good!

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCryptKiller, on 08 April 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

There is a major bug on my end, all Overlords seem to be frozen and don't attack me... maybe that's for good!

I'm guessing he coded miniboss overlords that require the included CON files to work, and you are not using them.

Oh, that was it. Somehow I missed the .bat file and just went through the motions of starting a normal user map. And yeah, with working Overlords the map is stupid hard, the original level design was built around monster infighting, in Duke3d version all you can do is run and pray that the torrent of rockets doesn't hit you in the ass.

Also somehow Cycloid dies very quickly, he was dead at least twice before I even got close to him.

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 08 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

Just played it, very well made. Nicely done.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I like the new additions to the map, like all those burning buildings and scrap pieces.

I couldn't load the .con file; Eduke32 said there are some errors in it. I had to play the map without the file, but I enjoyed it anyway. :blink:

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostPerro Seco, on 09 April 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

I couldn't load the .con file; Eduke32 said there are some errors in it. I had to play the map without the file, but I enjoyed it anyway. :blink:

What were the errors? Does it say anything about it in the log?

Aside from that Glad you enjoyed it. Also thanks to everyone who had played the map so far. :blink:

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostJolteon, on 09 April 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

What were the errors? Does it say anything about it in the log?
Yes. The problem was that my Eduke32 version was a bit old and didn't recognize some new commands like geta/seta, add/sub or []. I downloaded a new version to play the map again. Whit the overlords working now I think it's going to be a bit more difficult. :blink:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options