Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Mars Donalds - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Mars Donalds  "I'm loving it."

User is offline   Jolteon 

Aliens has taken over the famous restaurant on mars known as Mars Donalds. So it's up to Duke to put a stop to those aliens. (I suck at making up stories :P )

Anyways this is my second map for Duke Nukem 3D. I Started this map back in October 2015 (Before I've even joined here), and finished it last night. It went on and off but mostly off though. But either way Mars Donalds is finally done. :)

This level also includes a new enemy, known as the snake head. They will either charge at you and try to bite you when close (Like in leaked v.99 shareware beta), and they will even fire lasers at you (Like in the concept art). They're not that strong and therefor can easily be taken down within a few pistol shots. The zip includes everything to the snake head, including NAMES.H, and Tiles.cfg so you can place them in your level as well(If credit is provided of course :teehee: ).

To play the level with the snake head enemy, just bring everything out of the zip, and run snake head.bat. Otherwise if you don't want play the level with them, just bring out marsdonalds.map, and marsdonalds.ogg

If you find any bugs, let me know so I can try to fix them. Other than that, hope you enjoy the level! :dukeaffirmative:

Credit goes to jet_nick and Fantinaikos for the snake head sprites.

Attached Image: duke0061.png Attached Image: duke0062.png Attached Image: duke0063.png
Attached Image: duke0064.png Attached Image: duke0065.png Attached Image: duke0066.png

Attached File  Mars Donalds.zip (3.6MB)
Number of downloads: 472

User is offline   Sanek 

Played it. Took me 7 minutes.
Not bad for a second map, but not THAT GOOD either.Looks like something that could be released 15 years ago. I like how the level looks, the red street colors definitely make this map seem more original than most maps of today. Too bad that as a whole the map is empty and oversized.
Gameplay is ok, but I don't like the constant 4-switch puzzles, because the player stops in front of them about 3 or 4 times in this (small) level.

Keep it up.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 28 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I really liked the level and completely disagree with Sanek about it looking like a map that could have been released 15 years ago.

I didn't really find the snake heads very intimidating though, cute maybe.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLunick, on 28 January 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

I really liked the level and completely disagree with Sanek about it looking like a map that could have been released 15 years ago.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. 15 years ago, Duke 3D was already an old game and some of the best maps ever made had already been released and Duke mapping was in its heyday.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

A map doesn't have to feel like it was made today to be good. Actually, it's a relief to play something that makes you feel like you're playing something back from the late 90s, when things were simpler and more true to the original source.

4.5/5.

User is offline   Merlijn 

I get what Sanek means about the oversizing, everything is a tad too big. It's not too distracting though, just something to keep in mind for your next map.
Having said that, the level was enjoyable. The setting is cool, design is already pretty good (especially for a second map), and the layout/gameplay is solid too.

I see you're already adding unreachable locations to create more depth, which is always a plus for me.
I especially liked the hotel rooms with the arcade hall in the background.

Nice job!

Thank you everyone for the feedback, Glad everyone liked the map. :dukeaffirmative:

I was thinking about putting this map, along with my other map (EDF Outpost) on the workshop on Megaton. Although it won't have the snake heads enemy in the Megaton version. What do you guys think about it? :)

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:19 AM

View PostFistMarine, on 30 January 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I think it's a good idea to put the maps on Megaton Edition workshop. That way it will make them more popular. :teehee:

Ok, I'll do that.

Also sorry if I haven't played the map but these days I lost interest in gaming. :( I'm liking the screenshots, though. :P

It's ok.

EDIT: Forgot to mention but I've changed my avatar. I was bored of Fist Marine gif, so I put a gif picture of Duke Nukem. :dukeaffirmative:

I noticed. :)

User is offline   mono20 

View Postgerolf, on 29 January 2016 - 02:59 AM, said:

A map doesn't have to feel like it was made today to be good.

I agree. Nice map! Junior boss killed me at the end but I got through without a headache and enjoyed it. :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Firstly.

Posted Image

Secondly: You've improved a lot since EDF Outpost: plenty of room to fight foes, better design and use of features (i.e. swinging doors :)) and it doesn't take an eternity to check the surveillance cameras, to name a few. :teehee:
This is the path you have to follow to keep improving your maps. So keep it up! :dukeaffirmative:

One of the few things I disliked was the possibility to break fans that, afterwards, weren't accessible. I'm referring to this room concretely.

Posted Image

You could put an invisible sprite protecting them from being 'breakable'. Something like this.

Posted Image

All in all, excellent work Jolteon. :P

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Leaving grates and fans lying around the level without a purpose leads to problems like this:

https://forums.duke4...age__mode__show

View Postmono20, on 31 January 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

I agree. Nice map! Junior boss killed me at the end but I got through without a headache and enjoyed it. :(

Thank you for playing. Glad you enjoyed it. B)

View PostRhaisher, on 01 February 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

One of the few things I disliked was the possibility to break fans that, afterwards, weren't accessible. I'm referring to this room concretely.

[115 picture]

You could put an invisible sprite protecting them from being 'breakable'. Something like this.

[fan picture]

I didn't want those fans to be breakable, but I didn't know how to pull it off. I didn't think about adding invisible sprites in front of them :) . Thank you for the advice (Although can they still be destroyed by an rpg though? :dukeaffirmative: )

Eitherway glad you enjoyed the map. :teehee:
Spoiler

Made a World Tour version of the map, with the Incinerator weapon, and also added the Fireflies as well (some replacing the Snake Heads.) I didn't add any Render lighting in the map though.

Mars Donalds World Tour version

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options