Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Groovy Street - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Groovy Street

Here's my second map, a groovy street map to get back at those alien bastards in. Many hours were spent, fun was had, another Duke map let loose onto the internet. Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(just added a playthrough vid)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatsee: 17 June 2017 - 01:38 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Is the famous Blue Dumpster in this map?

View PostMark., on 30 October 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Is the famous Blue Dumpster in this map?

By popular demand, you get not one but two blue dumpsters, right off the bat. :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0008.png

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 30 October 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

By popular demand, you get not one but two blue dumpsters, right off the bat. :)

I´ve just played it. Nice to see how your mapping skills improved in this short time.

A decent map which lacks of proper shading and scaling but it was fun to play. Keep on with it. :)

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Hope to try this dood as soon as I get a moment, looks better then your first for sure. Congrats on releasing another one man :)

User is offline   Kyanos 

I beat it in 50 seconds.

Spoiler

Fun map, keep at it.

View PostDrek, on 30 October 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

I beat it in 50 seconds.

Spoiler

Fun map, keep at it.

Speedrunning tricks already, you're the official champ of this level. :) Surviving running past all those enemies without dying is fairly impressive. And you wouldn't have gathered much ammo and guns in 50 seconds. Though I guess a good amount of those enemies aren't spawned that way now that I think about.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 30 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postblizzart, on 30 October 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

I´ve just played it. Nice to see how your mapping skills improved in this short time.
A decent map which lacks of proper shading and scaling but it was fun to play. Keep on with it. :)
+1

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

Grooovy :) I had some fun with this map,well done.

There were a few bugs:

Spoiler

Pretty minor stuff and didn't spoil the fun. Plenty of ass to kick and some well placed enemies - and yes I did get caught by suprise by ...

Spoiler

Just needs some shading - simply darkening opposite walls can make a room look more 3D, maybe dark allyways. But clear improvement over map one so I now have very high expectations for map #3 :)

TTFN,
Jon

View PostThe Mechanic, on 13 November 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Grooovy :) I had some fun with this map,well done.
----

Just needs some shading - simply darkening opposite walls can make a room look more 3D, maybe dark allyways. But clear improvement over map one so I now have very high expectations for map #3 :)

TTFN,
Jon

Glad you dug the map! I did do that shading technique, maybe it's easier or less easy to see depending on brightness settings used, but generally I darken the opposite walls by something like four or five. From the secrets registering thing I'm guessing you took a look at the map in mapster, so you'd be able to tell I did do the shading. And you might notice for example that the tunnel is notably darker? And the alley at the beginning is a bit darker than the main street, etc. Also, do you play in software mode? My favorite mode is polymost, and I find the letter sprites behave well in polymost, I did notice the disappearing thing when trying in other renderer though. I guess I could say the preferred renderer for my maps is Polymost, but I figure people will just play with what they like.

View PostFistMarine, on 13 November 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

So finally played it and enjoyed much more than the previous map. Took me 21 minutes on CGS, found 3 secrets and of course I survived without dying. :P

Thanks!

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 13 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 13 November 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

Glad you dug the map! I did do that shading technique, maybe it's easier or less easy to see depending on brightness settings used, but generally I darken the opposite walls by something like four or five. From the secrets registering thing I'm guessing you took a look at the map in mapster, so you'd be able to tell I did do the shading. And you might notice for example that the tunnel is notably darker? And the alley at the beginning is a bit darker than the main street, etc. Also, do you play in software mode? My favorite mode is polymost, and I find the letter sprites behave well in polymost, I did notice the disappearing thing when trying in other renderer though. I guess I could say the preferred renderer for my maps is Polymost, but I figure people will just play with what they like.

Just replayed it on t'other machine and reset the colour correction (I did have the wick turned up - why did some people make such dark maps?) - can now see some shading. Needs more, I think it gets lost in the distance shading that duke naturally adds to walls. You just can't please some people.

I play using software mode - nothing else works on my Win7 machine. Just tried it on Win8 machine but like always the only difference I see between polymost and s/w modes are a slowdown and in the case of TROR maps horrendous HOM'ing.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 13 November 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

From the secrets registering thing I'm guessing you took a look at the map in mapster

Shame on you, accusing me of cheating :) :) I just guessed and replayed. Thing is, I've been there, did the same thing, got the tee-shirt.

As for disappearing letters, ISTR this is something that has gone wrong in Eduke, not your fault and in fact can lead to some quite comical re-wording :P

TTFN,
Jon

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: umping.jpg

This post has been edited by The Mechanic: 14 November 2015 - 03:14 AM

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello and thanks for the release.

I agree this map is way better than the first one. Plenty of life and ammo and I appreciated the last fight, lots of place to move around, perhaps an atomic health could have been nice, just to be a bit more safer. I have missed a secret, and found one because I was checking the map on mapster to find this god damn keycard.
Spoiler

The gameplay is nice, with some good ideas. The level design is pretty straightforward, but it's not a problem.
Spoiler

I like the way you handle secrets (with treasure chest and girls to welcome you ^^). One thing strike me is that you seem to not like "squared zones". The rooms in the motel looks weird because they have all different shapes and size and streets are quite sinuous. Sometimes I don't feel that I am a city but more in a canyon, as I said for the previous map. But not really a problem, it's just I don't have the habit of it, and if it is the way you like it, again no problem :). I appreciated the jokes and reference to your previous level
Spoiler

Oh last but not least, nice music.

A few remarks :
- A few misaligned floor textures (the top of the shop counter, the blue wall, top on TVs...) but nothing really disturbing.
- On the dumpsters and the blue wall, the change of palette make duke's hands and sprites appear blue, I don't know if you want this to happen.
- Some sprites float over the flloor (doughnuts, glasses...) and some flats ones are not stick on there walls, and sometimes you can climb on it.
- Some doorway looks oversized and some room are a bit empty in my opinion.
- The transition between floors in the elevator is not smooth.
- As mention before you can go on the blue wall by climbing on the key card slots and some letters had disappeared, perhaps you can add a custom texture to overcome this problem as I understand it's a game bug.
- No more exploding wall leaving square holes ?! Just joking ^^.

So keep it up, I hope you'll release a new map :).

Bye,
DotK3d

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options