Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Painkiller - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Painkiller  "Happy Halloween"

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I built this map with many inspirations from the game Painkiller level 1 the cemetery. Happy Halloween!
The megaton version is different from the eduke32 version for fps control for those with slower pcs. For the all out version try playing eduke version.
Since I have some new sounds that you will need to have I went ahead and zipped it's own eduke32 folder inside to avoid the hassle of adding the sounds inside your own folders(changed to files only). You really need to take it slow and check around/in all graves for supplies.

Story It's Halloween and there have been reports of evil souls and demonic figures killing anyone in there path and making them join there army of darkness.
Heavens hero or Hell's janitor Daniel Garner can't be found, word has been released that he is possessed to stay into a deep slumber forever.
There is only one person with the balls of steel to go to the demonic cemetery where it all began and find his tomb for an awakening.
Mr. Nukem has been contacted and when asked if he could do the job his only reply was "i see dead people".
Only the Painkiller possesses the weapon to collect there souls and put them back in there place.... HELL !
Mission: Awaken the Painkiller Daniel Garner by exploding his coffin in the underground tomb this will free his spirit.

Attached Image: 64Painkiller.png

Painkiller Eduke
Painkiller Megaton

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 31 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

User is offline   JMW 

Nice. Will check it out today.
And Happy Halloween!

User is offline   MetHy 

Why adding EDuke32 with it? You could just ask people to use the 'custom game directory'. that's exactly what this is for, it's very convenient and people need to get used to it. It avoids the need of having a thousand EDuke32 folders installed or to delete custom files every time you play a different map/mod.
Besides you're sharing r4593 of EDuke32, even in 2 weeks this version will be outdated so imagine people who download it in 5 years. Plus it's also a glitched version, if people use for long custom episodes, with that version you get sent back to the titlescreen after E1L7; and people who might just do that if they carelesly replace their current version.

You've also added eduke32.cfg with it which would replace people's EDuke32 settings. You've also added "settings.cfg" which overrides people key bindings with your own...
There is also a savefile for some reasons.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 31 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

• Turok Nukem

Okay I just changed it to the files only good thinking Methy since eduke will update and all that other stuff thanks

User is offline   JMW 

Played through it once on Let's Rock. Very nice and enjoyed all the creepy sounds. Perfect for today...Halloween!
Will go again on full blast later!

• Turok Nukem

Thanks man ! Yeah all the difficulties are implemented. Give Damn i'm good a try if your feeling really brave and want to blow shit up :)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

pretty creepy and moody. nice atmosphere.

i found all kinds of chaingun ammo early on, but didn't get the actual weapon until pretty late in the map. Did I miss an earlier placement or is there only that one? I really could have used it earlier in the map - especially when the church yard was reached.

• Turok Nukem

View PostForge, on 31 October 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

pretty creepy and moody. nice atmosphere.

i found all kinds of chaingun ammo early on, but didn't get the actual weapon until pretty late in the map. Did I miss an earlier placement or is there only that one? I really could have used it earlier in the map - especially when the church yard was reached.

The chain gun is in the first section on the biggest grave at the end :)

• Turok Nukem

I updated the download for reasons methy says so make sure you get the latest download 2.81mb. Also there is 2 versions in the zip, eduke and megaton there is a difference for sure. Make sure you play eduke :) i had to keep in mind on megaton a lot of users have bad pcs and also co op so I needed to really try to focus on limiting fps for that reason, and the reason it is included is in case some others have slower pc aswell

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 31 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 31 October 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

The chain gun is in the first section on the biggest grave at the end :)

i thought i was pretty thorough in my exploring; the secret probably threw off my search pattern

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Hehehe had been waiting to see the complete version of this map :) Gonna play it ASAP! (On mike's language that's about 5 or 6 days hehehe :) )

• Turok Nukem

No problem Norvak play when you can, btw thanks for helping me respawn transparent aliens man, now you can see why I needed that answered

User is offline   MetHy 

I played and enjoyed the map btw, I'll make give more detailed feedback when I have time.

User is offline   MetHy 

So I really liked the map overall. Pretty good visuals (especially the caves) and I enjoyed gameplay a lot.

I really liked the use of the custom palettes inside the caves. It really gave the feeling that I was inside some dusty dark place with some dim light. However, I didn't enjoy it as much inside the church; and there is also a small ground outdoor behind the church which has the custom palette as well and on that place it really felt out of place, especially when you or enemies walk in and out the sector with the custom palette.

Some nitpicking now, nothing major but I'm a nitpicker by nature :
- I didn't really like the teleporting to go inside that tomb and inside the church. Honestly I wished you had taken the time to make normal transition, it could have meant doing it differently especially for the tomb (I think it could have been done easily with the church though) but it would have been worth the effort and made for smoother gameplay. I even got squished and died once due to the teleporting when getting out of the "13th" tomb...
- There are some invisible walls at times which really had no business being there, like if you try to jump above some of the walls between 2 playable areas that are next to each others near the start and with some of the tombs as well.
- I didn't mind the sound replacements too much (though it's a bit obvious when Duke switches from DN3D to DNF voices, due to the difference in sound quality and even in tone); except the chaingun sound replacement that I didn't like at all, it sounded like a weak toy, and it felt even worse when I heard the Battlelord with that sound.
- Some grass sprites near the church that are blockable, not a big deal
- Some sprite clipping and shading issues like above Duke's tomb
- Music didn't work no matter what I tried, so I just played it using VLC

Overall I liked the map a lot though, I think it's your best map so far even with all this nitpicking.

Edit : Looking at screenshot I have to say that, as far as the visuals are concerned, I thought the red brick texture was out of place. Personally I never liked that texture, it sticks out way too much, especially in this rather dark context imo. Again that's nitpicking.

Edit 2: just replayed the map and I enjoyed it even more than during the first playthrough.
Really good design, atmosphere and gameplay overall. You did a good job designing a graveyard with the type of weird unsettling design one would usually find in graveyards from horror stories. I've been to a graveyard today (I guess like many people) so it helps to see the difference.
I really enjoyed the transparent enemies for once, and the respawns were really well handled and kept me surprised.
Found 2 more minor things to nitpick about though :) : some parts of the bench inside the church lack the custom palette ; the hidden switch on the grave (that gives the devastator) can be seen if you look from behind the grave. Spotted some more sprite clipping in other places I hadn't noticed before as well. Keep in mind I always play in 8bit.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

• Turok Nukem

Thought I would take a moment to point out the Easter eggs in the map (or in this case Halloween eggs). Start with the easy ones first the grave marked 13th you can go down into it and it's Jason from Friday the 13th's lair this is the one and only secret in the level. Also there are graves marked Freddy Krueger, Leatherface, and Myers these should be really simple to understand. In the second row the section is named "Coffin Rock" which is a hint at the Blair Witch Project thought I would add that in since that takes place local for me in Maryland. Another one is down in the catacombs underground one of the coffins has writing on the wall near it saying "Caleb was here" with a blood hand print this is easily noticed from the game Blood. Last but not least in the first section there is a Duke head in the ground with "help" written on the wall and that is pretty much an inside joke about the Megaton beta really early on. Where we would try to play and sometimes end up with our heads stuck in ground or hung from a ceiling but it actually fit the theme of a head in the ground as horror :) head in ground

• Turok Nukem

Here video of the map, shows everything of course :)

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 17 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Nice work, very good atmosphere. Polymer lighting adds a big deal to that, although especially this map reveals some of the Polymer renderer issues that are still present.

Will try it out as soon as I get a Duke 3D Mousepad. Hopefully 3D Realms will sell those?

The youtube video looks awesome man, can't wait! :)

• Turok Nukem

Cool hope you enjoy fellow Duke64 :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options