Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] The Abandoned Mine Shaft - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] The Abandoned Mine Shaft  "Elemental Cycloids have invaded!"

User is offline   Jolteon 

PLEASE READ BEFORE PLAYING!

To play the map properly, bring out everything from the zip (Sounds, art, con), and put it in your Eduke32 folder. After that, run the .bat that was included in the zip. If you don't, the map won't run properly.

THE ABANDON MINE SHAFT

Duke has stopped the Prison Train from going to who knows where. It came to a stop near a mountain in a middle of nowhere. Duke got off the train saying "Looks like i'm getting off here!" he saw an entrance to a cave in the nearby mountain. Near it was an EDF box with a laptop on it, and right next to it was a dead EDF soldier. Duke then said to himself, "Maybe I can use this to contact HQ, and let them know that I'm still alive." He then sended a signal to EDF HQ!

Meanwhile, at EDF HQ, a EDF Soldier saw that they were getting a signal. He then said "We are receiving a signal at the entrance of the abandon mine shaft!" General Graves then said " That must be Team Charlie, I hope it's good news!" He then opened up the transmission and started to say "Team Charlie, this is General Graves here, what is you're stat..." Then he realized it wasn't Team Charlie, but instead was Duke Nukem. He then went "Duke?! Is that you?" Duke replied saying, "Yes sir, It's me!" Graves then asked "What happened? We lost you're signal when you were at the Outpost!" Duke replied saying "Those alien bastards captured me once again! They took me on board on this Prison Train, going to who knows where, but I escaped, and put a stop to the Train once and for all, as you can see behind me!"

Graves then said "Well, Good work on stopping the Prison Train, Duke! But it's not over yet! The aliens had invaded this cave here! They're probably digging for resources here! Intel suggests that they are being led by two of their Elemental Warriors!" "Elemental Warriors?" Duke asked. Graves replied "Yes! they look like the Emperor, but they come in different colors, and depending on what color they are, can do powerful elemental attacks!" Duke then said "Sounds like trouble, but I've seen worse!" Graves then said "We know that an Fire and Ice types exists, and they are in this cave! Go in and take them out! Good luck Duke! Over and out!" The Transmission has ended. Duke then said to himself "I'm going to teach these Elemental Cycloids a lesson they will never forget, and that involves with me shoving my foot up their asses!"

That's a long Story! :thumbsup:

Anyways, This is my Seventh map for Duke 3D! I started this map in April Shortly after finishing Gotcha!, and finished in July! (I did also went on Vacation as well, so it did took a little longer.)

As for the new enemies, oh boy there are several of them. This map has the return of Snake Head, Underwater Drone, Freezer Lizard, Lizard Trooper with blue uniforms, Mini Overlord, and Mini Cycloid emperor. First up are Expander Enforcers, they are a bit stronger than a regular Enforcer, and can attack with an expander Chaingun (Ouch!). Next are Ice, and Fire Snake Heads who are both stronger than the regular Snake Head and have a stronger bite then them too. They can fire either Freezers, or Expanders at you. Next are the Ice Octabrains. They are Blue Octabrains who are a stronger than a regular Octabrain and can Fire Ice Mindblasts at you, which can travel twice as far than a regular MindBlast, but deals about the same damage, but can actually freeze you too. Lastly there's the Assault Lieutenant. These guys wear Gray uniforms, and carries a Napalm Cannon, which can fire Fireballs at you, and up close, it acts like a FlameThrower which can do a lot of damage. Stay away from them at all costs. They are stronger than an Octabrain, but weaker than an Assault Commander, or a Protector Drone. Also there are two new "Bosses" in this map them Being Elemental Cycloids. They come in different colors doing different kinds of elemental attacks. So far only an Ice, and Fire ones have been Discovered (And are in this map), but there could be more in the Future. They are still smaller and weaker then the other bosses in the game, but can still be a threat if you're not careful, Unless you use Devastator on them :P

Credits
Jet_nick and Fantinaikos for sprites of the snake head enemy,
Darkus for ripping the sprites of the TM sprites,
Fox, and Nukey for ripping the sounds of the TM enemies,
George W. Bernard for the Freezer Trooper from Last Reaction, and Water Bases, and Chimera.
Warhawk for sprites of the Assault Lieutenant,
Id software for the tech lamps from Doom II,
Raven software for some sounds from Hexen,
Gearbox software for the Cycloid Incinerator sprites from WT.
Treyarch for the sounds of the Panzer Soldat from BOII
Monolith for the Flame sprites from Blood.
Eriance for the Flamethrower sound (I think)

Special Thanks to
Trooper Dan for helping me with the code for the Ice Octabrain.
Micky C. for suggesting about visibillity ( Wouldn't have even know about the visibillity in Build. I'm such a derp!)
Sanek for suggesting to make the Nightvision last longer.
James Steinfield for some stuff I borrowed from Nuclear Showdown.
(If there is anyone I missed, let me know so I can add them here.)

As always, I hope you enjoy the map! :)

Attached Image: duke0223.png Attached Image: duke0224.png Attached Image: duke0225.png
Attached Image: duke0226.png Attached Image: duke0227.png Attached Image: duke0228.png

Attached File  Mines.zip (2.06MB)
Number of downloads: 381

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJolteon, on 30 July 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

PLEASE READ BEFORE PLAYING!

To play the map properly, bring out everything from the zip (Sounds, art, con), and put it in your Eduke32 folder. After that, run the .bat that was included in the zip. If you don't, the map won't run properly.

This is not the recommended way to package your mod. Delete the batch file, rename EGAME.CON to EDUKE.CON, and instruct the user to extract this zip such that "Mines" is a subfolder of eduke32.exe, then use the Custom game content directory feature to select it.

User is offline   LkMax 

EDuke32 really could use a WAD or PK3 system for loading mods.
Map looks nice.

Edit: works putting on a subfolder? That's better, but still...

This post has been edited by LkMax: 30 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

View PostHendricks266, on 30 July 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

This is not the recommended way to package your mod. Delete the batch file, rename EGAME.CON to EDUKE.CON, and instruct the user to extract this zip such that "Mines" is a subfolder of eduke32.exe, then use the Custom game content directory feature to select it.

To be honest, I'm actually used to using batch files. I haven't really thought about using a subfolder, so... Sorry. :thumbsup:

User is offline   CruX 

just finished it. Took me a little over fifty minutes, was shy about 20 enemies and got 4 secrets. Was a fun ride on the whole, the map was decent and the stuff that was added gave it both a novelty and a challenge that probably wouldn't have been there otherwise. Gonna keep my two cents on everything that follows in a spoiler;

Spoiler

This post has been edited by CruX: 30 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

I played map, pretty awesome. With the new enemies it puts a new taste of different variations. I'm guesing your making a sequel to the map. Keep going! :thumbsup:

User is offline   Polunka 

Have played this delicious cake of a map, and what can I say? Caught hella lot of enjoyment! This is one of the best "abandoned mine"-themed maps I've tried to this day (I guess). Took me 30 mins, found 5 secrets out of 7.

The atmosphere of a place that'd been in decay for a while before suddenly having unwelcome visitors is well maintained throughout the level IMO, therefore I'd suggest that anyone who's not played the map yet set Floghorn as the music track.

I liked it how the gameplay flowed as I was getting futher in. Encounters were becoming gradually more and more difficult to the point where they'd take a skilled Duke player not to die lots of times (I mean you, elemental caves section!). Especially I'd like to mention the underwater battle in the submerged section of the mineshaft. Probably the most neatly established underwater fight scene I've taken part in which involves a lot of monsters incoming from practically all directions while making you use some cleverly placed detours and obstructing objects like rocks etc. The boss fights didn't make me sweat much but I liked the design of the bosses themselves (sfx, graphics etc.).

At first I was confused as to which monsters composed the design of the Assault Lieutenant but then I figured it out. I gotta say, the ultimate outcome is quite a menacing (regarding both visuals and gameplay) enemy (would be even better if you'd found some alternate fitting sfx for it instead of re-using Fat Commander's ones).

Also, I think the drilling effect is worth mentioning. Seriously, the first time I've seen this in action in Duke3D :P

Not gonna criticize any points an experienced mapper would since I'm not a mapper myself (tbh kind of tired of stating this in my every post that touches a newly released map). Just expressing my gratitude for 30 mins of fun spent playing the level. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to your new maps!

P.S.: I've noticed some levels you've released by this point are starting to line up into a series with a coherent story (EDF Outpost => Prison Train => The Abandoned Mine Shaft => Dawn of the Pork). That's a good thing. Are you planning on moving on with this story in your future maps?

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 August 2017 - 01:13 AM

Have played this delicious cake of a map, and what can I say? Caught hella lot of enjoyment! This is one of the best "abandoned mine"-themed maps I've tried to this day (I guess). Took me 30 mins, found 5 secrets out of 7.

The atmosphere of a place that'd been in decay for a while before suddenly having unwelcome visitors is well maintained throughout the level IMO, therefore I'd suggest that anyone who's not played the map yet set Floghorn as the music track.

I liked it how the gameplay flowed as I was getting further in. Encounters were becoming gradually more and more difficult up to the point where it'd take a skilled Duke player not to die lots of times (I mean you, elemental caves section!). Especially I'd like to mention the underwater battle in the submerged section of the mineshaft. Probably the most neatly established underwater fight scene I've taken part in which involves a lot of monsters incoming from practically all directions while making you use some cleverly placed detours and obstructing objects like rocks etc. The boss fights didn't make me sweat much but I liked the design of the bosses themselves (sfx, graphics etc.).

At first I was confused as to which monsters composed the design of the Assault Lieutenant but then I figured it out. I gotta say, the ultimate outcome is quite a menacing (regarding both visuals and gameplay) enemy (would be even better if you'd found some alternate fitting sfx for it instead of re-using Fat Commander's ones).

Also, I think the drilling effect is worth mentioning. Seriously, the first time I've seen this in action in Duke3D :P

Not gonna criticize any points an experienced mapper would since I'm not a mapper myself (tbh kind of tired of stating this in my every post that touches a newly released map). Just expressing my gratitude for 30 mins of fun spent playing the level. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to your new maps!

P.S.: I've noticed some levels you've released by this point are starting to line up into a series with a coherent story (EDF Outpost => Prison Train => The Abandoned Mine Shaft => Dawn of the Pork). That's a good thing. Are you planning on moving on with this story in your future maps?

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

Double post much? :P Anyways, thank you for playing my map. Glad you enjoyed it. :) Also thank you mentioning the Drill, I really enjoyed making it. :thumbsup:

View PostPolunka, on 02 August 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

I might. I'm trying to connect all the levels together so I can make an Episode out of them (With Gotcha! being a secret level). While I might have figured out how to connect Theme Park to Mars Donalds (Which will be the next level I'll make.), I'm trying to figure out how to connect Dawn of the Pork to Theme Park.

View PostJolteon, on 02 August 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Double post much? :thumbsup:

Damn. Didn't notice I'd double posted this. Wish I was able to rid the thread of the duplicate.

I might. I'm trying to connect all the levels together so I can make an Episode out of them (With Gotcha! being a secret level). While I might have figured out how to connect Theme Park to Mars Donalds (Which will be the next level I'll make.), I'm trying to figure out how to connect Dawn of the Pork to Theme Park.

I see. Btw, by "coherent story" I meant exactly the fact the levels are connected with each other via beginnings and endings. But I don't think it will play out well as a separate episode in case you're going for a whole story that would connect the levels narratively. It sounds more like a series of Duke's ass-kicking adventures which are somewhat linked with one another. In the latter case you'll be on the safe side, I guess.

P.S.: Hope I expressed myself clearly in the "story" section. You can't help but always fear that people won't understand or will misunderstand you when English ain't the native language to you.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options