Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Galbadia - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Galbadia  "A modern style city map"

User is offline   MetHy 

A modern style city map by myself, Steambull, Mikko Sandt and with the participation of MRCK.

Story :

Duke is sent to Galbadia to investigate claims of a secret alien hive nearby,
the purpose of which is believed to be using captured local babes to breed
alien drones. Duke rents an apartment near the central park and takes a shit.
Upon learning of Duke's presence, the hive Overlord commands his troops to
seize the town as a means to protect the hive. Next thing you know, you've
got Recon Cars circling the park while an alien breach squad is on its way
to your apartment. Your task is to locate the hive and kill the Overlord.

Screenshots :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download & have fun (Eduke32 required) :

Edit : fixed a glitch 4 years after initial release.
Note to self: download count was 300.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  glb.rar (137.13K)
    Number of downloads: 185

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 October 2016 - 05:39 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Wow really nice! I really like the 2nd shot there with the glass wall thing. I'll have to give this a download this weekend. ;)

Guest_LakiSoft_*

Details.Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLakiSoft, on 13 September 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Details.Posted Image

You were 8 years old when the first area of this map got built.

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Pretty cool map! I liked how many fresh ideas was there.
Found three secrets. My favorite part is the apartments in the beginning.

User is offline   underTaker 

Finally some new release!
Screens looks really great! I'll give it a try tomorrow, since now i'm just too tired, and going sleep now ;)

Guest_LakiSoft_*

View PostMetHy, on 13 September 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

You were 8 years old when the first area of this map got built.

What!?? :P You trying to say that this map was started at 2006 and finished today at 2012??? :P What the fuck!?!?!?! Now i understand why is there bunch of details. ;)

User is offline   Loke 

Great map! Took me roughly 20 minutes though I didn't find a single secret, darn it. The final battle was really cool as well; I was like "WTF!?" when I shut down the power grid and a million Protector Drones woke up and attacked me.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Nice one. Good details. Good gameplay. Music sucks a bit. Thanks for finishing this.

User is offline   Loke 

The music was a bit loud for me but that's what the slider is for!

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostLoke, on 13 September 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

The music was a bit loud for me but that's what the slider is for!
Maybe that's why I noticed it. ;)
Ideally all map soundtracks would come as OGG with a replay gain of 89db, and no one would have to adjust the music volume more than once.

User is offline   MetHy 

Huh, Mikko complained about my choice for the midi as well. Well I think it fits the map well; but fuck it, anybody who doesn't like it can just turn it off I guess. Most maps don't even come with a music anyway.

Anyway - fun fact about the map : there is quite a bit of Sector-over-Sector, but an area has THREE layers of Sector-over-Sector.
I am never dealing with SoS ever again, it's too much of a pain in the ass; and yet it's Mikko who built the 3rd layer under that area, not me, so I shouldn't have much to complain about.

But in the "filthy" appartment above the clothes shop which is in SoS : for the small opening of the window where you can see the outside from indoor but not vice-versa; I remember that when I built that it was the most frustrating thing I ever encountered in duke mapping.

The irony is that the 3rd layer of SoS that Mikko made was built just underneath that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

... and that concludes my story of how one small but cool detail to make can ruin your mapping experience.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Sweet, my holidays start in a few days and Ill check it out then.
It might make it easier to edit SOS if you restrict the vertical editing range, much the same way as you do for TROR.
And looking at that last picture, the map appears to have some serious corruption, it might be worth fixing.

User is offline   Gambini 

Screenshots look very sexy! I´ll play this map today or tomorrow. And... if Mikko needs a review I guess I can do one too.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So I started playing it, and it's a pretty sweet map!

I love the detailing/architecture/shading/layout/gameplay flow. I've seen the occasional misaligned texture but I doubt that non-mappers would pick up on them. The only criticism I have is the focus on the lower tier weapons (so far) such as the pistol, shotgun, and chaingun, later the RPG. I would have liked to play with some of the more interesting weapons earlier on like the shrinker/expander, freezer and devestator. Of course, I found the secret freezer and shrinker fairly late on, so I imagine the point was to add replay value so that people can use these more advanced weapons the second time around.

As is tradition with your (MetHy/Mikko/MRCK) maps, I have to get stuck at least once Posted Image
This time it's in the library area. I've pressed these two alien buttons. They didn't do anything (I expected them to deactivate that forcefield) and I can't find any more. Help?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMicky C, on 14 September 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

This time it's in the library area. I've pressed these two alien buttons. They didn't do anything (I expected them to deactivate that forcefield) and I can't find any more. Help?

There are three buttons in the library. Two of them are in the main area, one between two sofas and the other one on the floor above on a wall. The third one is in the adult section on a wall.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMicky C, on 14 September 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

The only criticism I have is the focus on the lower tier weapons (so far) such as the pistol, shotgun, and chaingun, later the RPG. I would have liked to play with some of the more interesting weapons earlier on like the shrinker/expander, freezer and devestator. Of course, I found the secret freezer and shrinker fairly late on, so I imagine the point was to add replay value so that people can use these more advanced weapons the second time around.

There are two freezers, one which is at the beginning of the map. It's "semi-hidden", you can't see it, but imo it's so obvious to go look where it is that it doesn't even count as a secret place.
There are two devastators as well, the one at the end of course, but also one very early on in a secret place; which is probably the hardest secret place to find (but imo probably not that hard if you pay attention and think of a way to get there).
The shrinker is in a secret place as well which is easier to find but only later on in the map.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 14 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostLakiSoft, on 13 September 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

What!?? :P You trying to say that this map was started at 2006 and finished today at 2012??? ;) What the fuck!?!?!?! Now i understand why is there bunch of details. :P

You don't need time to add details. You need an idea! Creativity!

By the way, can't test this map today, i got my furniture to assemble ._. The instructions are quite crappy. But will surely test it!

User is offline   t800 

Nice map! It was worth waiting 6 years.
But that music strongly reminds me of something...
Spoiler

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

The visuals, architecture, enemy placements, and overall feel is just fantastic. I didn't like the MIDI you provided, but "STREETS.MID" works well.

There's one flaw I saw that you might want to look into if you don't already know.. When you go on top of that red sports car, you can see some of the area that has all the drones in it, and one one occasion it even brought me to that room. Also, I think maybe that bright toxic slime should have caused harm to the player, because you did put protective boots into the map.

5/5 regardless of this flaw (which I wouldn't have found had I not been screwing around on the top of the sports car ;)).

This post has been edited by gerolf: 14 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postgerolf, on 14 September 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Also, I think maybe that bright toxic slime should have caused harm to the player, because you did put protective boots into the map.

5/5 regardless of this flaw (which I wouldn't have found had I not been screwing around on the top of the sports car ;)).

Thanks to that because I don't remember getting boots! Fine job on the map, and if the boss didn't have me backed into that cave, I don't think I would have beat him with the weapons I had left! Seemed he couldn't get his fat ass inside it, nor did he, or was unable to fire a shot at me when I was inside.

User is offline   Puritan 

Hi there, Dukers!

Reviewed and uploaded at CGS
Enjoy!

User is offline   MetHy 

thanks for the good review

User is online   ck3D 

awesome to finally see this see the light of the day. you had been sending me dozens of versions of it ever since its earliest development stages in 2006 !

i'll probably get to play it in a couple of days, i remember finding what i had seen of the map really promising and inspiring, i am sure i will enjoy the finished product a lot !

Ok, finally have played it. Great map! It was not only greatly detailes but really fun to play!
It took me 18 minutes, found 1 secret and killed all the enemies. I'm kinda crappy at finding secrets ;)
In all of thoose 18 minutes i wasn't bored single time. I rate it in fully 10/10 :P

View PostLakiSoft, on 13 September 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

What!?? :P You trying to say that this map was started at 2006 and finished today at 2012??? ;) What the fuck!?!?!?! Now i understand why is there bunch of details. :P

LOL Lakisoft, you crack me up! I never saw a -23 before! :D

I look forward to playing this map!

User is offline   Loke 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 17 September 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

LOL Lakisoft, you crack me up! I never saw a -23 before! ;)

He ain't got shit on Yatta.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Gambini provided a review so check it out in case you still need convincing to play the map: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotgalbadia.php

View Postgerolf, on 14 September 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Also, I think maybe that bright toxic slime should have caused harm to the player, because you did put protective boots into the map.

Never noticed the boots actually, maybe Corentin put them there.

User is offline   MetHy 

Thanks for the review.

The boots are in the cupboard of the filthy appartment. No idea why I put that there a couple years ago.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

User is online   ck3D 

View PostMetHy, on 18 September 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

The boots are in the cupboard of the filthy appartment. No idea why I put that there a couple years ago.

now that's the kind of feeling i tend to get a lot more in real life, if anything...

also, seeing as a lot of people seem to be thinking that i have been somewhat active on this level, just to clarify, i really only built a couple of sectors, like maybe one room and half a corridor in this ? i can't remember off the top of my head seeing as it probably happened two or three years ago, but really all the credit is due to MetHy, Steambull and Mikko, my contribution to this really was insignificant, and the result of barely an evening worth of boredom of some kind

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options