Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] The Unknown Planet - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] The Unknown Planet  "My new map"

User is offline   Maarten 

Hi Duke Community! Happy new year!

Remember this vid?

It's been a while... but: my new map is finished! I got back to the weird & freaky
alien planet x64-2 style. Hope you enjoy it. Of course, comments are welcome!

Download: https://www.wetransf...01121849/1505a3

More download options: http://msdn.duke4.ne...knownplanet.zip & http://www.scent-88....downloadid=1091

Cya,
Maarten

This post has been edited by Maarten: 02 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

This was a awesome map to play. I like the way how the level looks, with the alien caves, the buildings, and the alien ships. The level had a good design to it. The new music also fits the level too. This level does remind me of X64-2. Now I do agree that the level is too easy. Normally when I first play a usermap (or mappack), I always die at least once, but for this level, I didn't. Even though there are several Battlelords in the level, but they can be taken out with the RPG you get in the beginning. There are atomic healths everywhere, so that does make it kinda impossible to get killed in this level. But either way, I had fun playing the map.

Keep up the good work, and Happy new year! :thumbsup:

Attached Image: duke0047.png Attached Image: duke0048.png Attached Image: duke0051.png

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 01 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

Weird, some parts of it remind me of the later levels of Imperium O_o

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postthedrawliner, on 01 January 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

I wonder why that would be Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Why does the download link require the acceptance of some kind of user policy? I think I'll wait for a direct download.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 01 January 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

Why does the download link require the acceptance of some kind of user policy? I think I'll wait for a direct download.

Well aren't you fussy

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Merlijn 

It's also on MSDN now, so Maarten can edit his post with that download link.
Anyways, great to see this finally released! It's another great visit to the world of X64-2 and has a lot of replay value.

That's because the Imperium ends on the same planet. :thumbsup:

User is offline   MetHy 

This was alright, took me 18mins, only found 1 secret.

User is offline   CruX 

liked it! A nice, unorthodox map with nice, unorthodox firefights to compliment it. While the gameplay was pretty quick to get predictable (got to a point where when I hit an ammo cache, my immediate thought was "okay, where's the battle-lord?"), the environment for each scrap was unique enough to where it didn't go stale, and the other fights between kept the pacing fast and consistent.

The only gripes I'd say I have is the clipping with some of the vegetation sprites (got stuck a few times in places where i don't think the player was meant to go and had to no-clip my way out) and the platforming you had to do after getting the red key card was like, infuriatingly frustrating because there just wasn't enough room to get a running start on any of the ledges.

Still had a good time overall, though.

User is offline   Kathy 

Is it normal that you need to make crazy jump to escape the first area? Seemed a bit strange to me.

I'll bother to reply since my brother rarely visits these forums. XD

Do you mean the very first jump you have to perform to get out of he alien cell?
It's a bit hard to find the ledges because of the darkness. But the jump itself isn't that difficult.

User is offline   Kathy 

Well, yeah. It's the combination really. Not easy to find and you need to know how to execute it(control while jumping in run-mode). Felt a bit strange that map throws it at you right in the beginning.

It was a good map, nevertheless. But damn I hate those protector drones. Also, the most terrifying boss got its statues. Scary stuff.

I think it's supposed to be a jail break scenario. The aliens trapped you there, so you have to find some way out first.

Did you play the original X64-2 level? It has an even nastier start.

User is offline   Kathy 

Nope, I haven't. But it does make sense in that scenario you've mentioned.

User is offline   quakis 

Played this on come get some, found all 4 secrets. Little on the easy side but I did enjoy the theme. Review; http://taw.duke4.net...unknown-planet/

I also replayed through X64-2 before touching this one. Probably my third time now since its release. Finally gave that a review too; http://taw.duke4.net...n-planet-x64-2/

Nice reviews, I like how much in-depth you go! I linked them to Maarten, perhaps it will get him to leave a response on the forums for once. :P

Only 1 problem

Posted Image

This is what I see at the start :P

I cant get out, everthing is messed up clipping, see-thru, borked, whatever.

Making it completely unplayable.

How did anyone play this nevermind review it (using r5811 eduke).

Is there a patched version I'm unaware of?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostCaptain Massive, on 13 August 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

This is what I see at the start :P

I cant get out, everthing is messed up clipping, see-thru, borked, whatever.

Making it completely unplayable.
Running Polymer? Try another renderer. The very start isn't easy to navigate IIRC. Automap may help.

View PostLeoD, on 13 August 2016 - 04:49 PM, said:

Running Polymer? Try another renderer. The very start isn't easy to navigate IIRC. Automap may help.

Its not that - as far as I can tell its not anything on my end, I just looked at it in mapster32 and its a giant see-thru mess.

I got the map from CGS link twice and both times it was like that, maybe the upload got corrupted somehow?

Its the only map that has invisible floors/ceilings-walls I've seen so far.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostCaptain Massive, on 13 August 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Its not that - as far as I can tell its not anything on my end, I just looked at it in mapster32 and its a giant see-thru mess.
Did you try a non-Polymer renderer in Mapster32 ... ?
Your Screenshot shows exactly what I see when using Polymer.

The Unkown Planet.txt said:

Ports required : None (classic mode is the best option)

View PostLeoD, on 13 August 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

Did you try a non-Polymer renderer in Mapster32 ... ?
Your Screenshot shows exactly what I see when using Polymer.

Turning Polymer off fixed it. Thats a very odd thing that it does that in poly mode.

Level was too hard could not finnish it though.

The forcefield 2 sided wall tag he used I just figured out not long ago by accident while making a moon brig. ( Neat trick )

Nevermind he used multible forcefields not 2 sided ones.

Correction: Turns out my 2 sided force fields was just an illusion I'm having trouble replicating.

This post has been edited by Captain Massive: 13 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options