Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] JMW-SP1 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] JMW-SP1  "New Map Release"

User is offline   JMW 

New single player / Coop map for Duke.

The setting is a recently discovered ancient temple. Research and excavation are under way...until something goes terribly wrong!
All contact is lost with the research team and horrible noises can be heard through the radio! What should we do...SEND IN DUKE!!!

A big thanks to Duke64 for the testing.

Map should be up on steam workshop soon but a link is also below.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

JMW-SP1

User is offline   MetHy 

I enjoyed the map. Really cool design, gameplay and atmosphere overall. Architecture both outdoor and indoor was pretty good overall. I like how your level design feels more modern than the Build generation, what I mean is, the way you see rooms, progression and gameplay feels more like it belongs to the generation of FPS that came after Build than during Build, but it fit very well with the map.

I wasn't too found of the use of tech-looking switches to unlock other doors. These switches by nature really stick out compared to the rest of this level, like they don't really belong, and their placement doesn't help either as it seemed a bit random. IMO you could have used something like a chain to pull, or a small block to push or move, something that would fit the level more and which would have helped the 'adventurous' atmosphere of the map.

I found 2 secret places out of 3, 2 cracks I had to explode. Honestly, they didn't feel like secrets at all, everyone will find them.

I felt a bit restrained by the weapons, especially during the first half where it's mostly just shotgun. However considering the length of the map, it wasn't really a big deal, and you compensated by handing out more than enough RPG ammo and giving the RPG early on.

I could do a couple of other minor nitpicking but I'll stop at that because it's almost nothing.
Overall I enjoyed the map, I think it's your first one too which is a really nice surprise, hope you make more.

Edit : btw the map crashed at the start of the cave the player falls into (the one with red palette), but that was using EDuke32 r4648 which wasn't supposed to have been released. Worked no problem when using r4593.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 05 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Just played through it now, I really enjoyed it a lot - especially the infernal atmosphere of the latter part of the map. I'd agree that the secrets were a bit too obvious, but it's not a huge deal as it's down to personal choice if secrets should be hard to find or easy. A really nice take on the temple theme (And some creative re-uses of certain Duke textures worked really well, rather than just re-using the normal sandrock Duke texture)

Hopefully you plan to make more!

User is offline   JMW 

Glad to hear it is enjoyable.

Yep, I also agree that the buttons could seem out of place and considered changing them.
I also tried to ask the alien scum why they would add them to a beautiful piece of history but they did not reply.
It seems that if they were trying to hide the gateway to their secret lair under a pyramid, they might not install buttons to give it away!
Oh well...maybe next time they will have learned their lesson.

Nice work JMW. In short, beautiful looking map; the gameplay isn't that strong however. As MetHy already pointed, those switches do not match the theme... moreover, they open random doors without any logical connection, with no sound effects, no messages, so you never have an idea what happens after pressing one, and you begin loitering around the map over and over. Also, do you really need those custom VOC files to be in 44.1/48 kHz 16-bit Stereo format? They take up a plenty of space compared to the rest.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah I had alot of fun on this one thanks for the good map, played on cgs found all 3 secrets. Really love the part when we enter hell. Atmosphere is nice, gave me a Serious Sam, Turok , Blood feel.

User is offline   Komenja 

The atmosphere was great, especially in the later parts of the level! Great map, tons of fun!

User is offline   ck3D 

screenshots look really good. looking forward to being able to play this map, don't have the spare time right now. probably next week.

It was fun. Played it on DIG. Issues with lack of textures in a few places. Also the buttons that opened doors didn't seem to make sense (as mentioned). Still, a fun little map.

User is offline   JMW 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 07 November 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

It was fun. Played it on DIG. Issues with lack of textures in a few places. Also the buttons that opened doors didn't seem to make sense (as mentioned). Still, a fun little map.

When you say lack of textures do you mean some areas look bland or there are actual textures you did not have?
I didn't think I used any additional textures, just original duke stuff.....

User is offline   JMW 

Also, steam version is out there. Ran into some issues when first trying out in megaton/steam as eduke handles things a little different.
This lead to me changing a few areas around. Learned a few things with this map...
Anyway, steam link is here: JMW-SP1 on Steam

Thanks again to everyone that tested and left me feedback. Was a good first map experience. I enjoy the Duke community.

This post has been edited by JMW: 08 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

Some objects had no textures at all (some areas that stuck up from the water comes to mind).

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostJMW, on 08 November 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

Thanks again to everyone that tested and left me feedback. Was a good first map experience. I enjoy the Duke community.

Sorry I accidentally downvoted your post when I meant to upvote it :) Glad you're liking it here though, it's nice to see new faces.

User is offline   JMW 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 08 November 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

Some objects had no textures at all (some areas that stuck up from the water comes to mind).

Hmm, odd. I tested from a couple machines and did not see that. So far you were the only one to mention that...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJblade, on 08 November 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Sorry I accidentally downvoted your post when I meant to upvote it :) Glad you're liking it here though, it's nice to see new faces.

the exact same line he used on me during our first date

This post has been edited by Forge: 08 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 08 November 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

the exact same line he used on me during our first date

I don't get it.

View PostJMW, on 08 November 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Hmm, odd. I tested from a couple machines and did not see that. So far you were the only one to mention that...

He probably didn't install it properly then.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Nice map! I really liked the progress deeper into the earth, especially the hellish part. And of course the viewscreen message in the beginning. :)

Anyway, the map plays well and the temple structures look good, so thanks!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 08 November 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

I don't get it.

you perform a mild and innocuous faux pas so you can apologize and endear yourself, followed up by a compliment.

it's the equivalent of 'accidentally' bumping into a girl at a club in order to have an excuse to talk to her

that James is one smooth character

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Haven't seen a temple themed map in a while and it was quite enjoyable. Solid design, consistent theme, this map just feels 'right'.

User is offline   ck3D 

pretty nice map with an interesting theme and overall average-to-good execution, the earliest rooms / areas didn't stand out so much to me and i didn't like those first few teleporters so much, but things quickly picked up and those last rooms looked pretty awesome, i liked the more elaborated-looking puzzle with the pentagram (even though it's just a few rising sectors, i didn't expect that ; plus the fight in that room also happened to be one of my favorites out of the whole map, a hefty one making for quite an epic moment). it is one of those maps where you can sense the author's progression as you, as a player, get to cover more and more fresh grounds.

overall though, the design was nice, i especially liked the texturing ; gameplay become a little tedious at times with some unfair enemy placement (ie. that first commander) or the repetitive respawns, i even had to skip a fight or two due to being too low on health / ammo, but generally speaking it was all rather entertaining. spent a while shooting at that last boss with all my leftover ammo (including pistol) before realizing the level would also end if i just used the jetpack and flew over its head.

nice map, thanks for sharing ; i happened to like your second map a little more though ! just shows that you are progressing if anything. please keep them coming and i will keep playing !

This post has been edited by ck3D: 12 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options