Duke4.net Forums: Platoon weapons fix for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Platoon weapons fix for EDuke32  "Also works for Tour of Duty 3"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Hello all,

Recently I've made a little fix for Platoon that improves it a bit and deals with those issues that the original developers had to leave there because of the limitations of the original Duke Nukem 3D.

Here's a list of what was fixed:
  • M16 ammo clip now contains 20 rounds (in the original Platoon readme the devs mentioned they'd have liked to make it 30, but it turned out to be too much, so used 20, like in NAM).
  • Grenades no longer use the pipebomb remote detonator.
  • Flamethrower no longer has a delay before firing, and uses the firing rate identical to the original Freezethrower. Flamethrower fireballs don't home in on enemies.
  • Sniper rifle is now a true hitscan weapon with increased accuracy, and the blue flash from the Freezethrower had been removed. It also pauses between shots to reload, so that the player won't occasionally fire several consecutive shots, wasting ammo.
  • Fixed the flame and smoke (environment effects) animations (turned out to be some screw-up in GAME.CON that caused the flames to "jump" above the area where they were supposed to be, and smoke animation would stop playing altogether after some time).
The fix will work with EDuke32 only. Installation instructions are supplied in the readme file. Tour of Duty 3 is also supported.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 30 April 2010 - 03:38 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

These fixes work quite well. After wrestling with the game a bit (the process involved having to buy a copy of Atomic online), I finally got Platoon to work. The trouble is that this game is REALLY hard. I understand that it's a really popular mod for all of the interesting changes and effects added in, but I hit ammo dry repeatedly in the last few levels, and the Vietcong machine gun troops shoot faster than I can react, which means no matter what, I'll always take damage when attacking.

I was playing on skill3 (but I've beaten Duke Nukem on skill4). Maybe I ought to play on skill2 next time.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Apr 29 2010, 11:08 AM, said:

These fixes work quite well. After wrestling with the game a bit (the process involved having to buy a copy of Atomic online), I finally got Platoon to work. The trouble is that this game is REALLY hard. I understand that it's a really popular mod for all of the interesting changes and effects added in, but I hit ammo dry repeatedly in the last few levels, and the Vietcong machine gun troops shoot faster than I can react, which means no matter what, I'll always take damage when attacking.

I was playing on skill3 (but I've beaten Duke Nukem on skill4). Maybe I ought to play on skill2 next time.

Heh, it isnt you. Platoon is a mod that will kick your ass if you dont keep your wits about you.

And it isnt even that bad compared to Nam. **** Nam, my God they went over board with the difficulty there. Makes you feel like you're actually there, in a bad way.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Whoops! I noticed that in the Tour of Duty 3 version of the fix, the M16 ammo clip pickup still holds 12 rounds, and not 20. Fixed that now smiling face This should make playing a bit easier, with more ammo available.

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Apr 29 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

The trouble is that this game is REALLY hard. I understand that it's a really popular mod for all of the interesting changes and effects added in, but I hit ammo dry repeatedly in the last few levels, and the Vietcong machine gun troops shoot faster than I can react, which means no matter what, I'll always take damage when attacking.

Yeah I guess medium difficulty (skill 2) is the way to go, it's already quite hard on that level :D I don't even want to imagine what's on skill 4 :P

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 29 2010, 11:23 PM, said:

And it isnt even that bad compared to Nam. **** Nam, my God they went over board with the difficulty there. Makes you feel like you're actually there, in a bad way.

Actually, on medium difficulty and 800x600 (or at least 640x480) it is quite playable (enjoyable, even).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options