Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Close Range - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Close Range  "laser tripbomb fest"

I present you "Close Range": a disjointed mess of a space level made in two weeks while being extra stressed and extra pissed by educational system.
The level was built from a blueprint I made sometime in March. It combines bits and pieces of different ideas I had back then, yet the main focus are laser tripboms.
I mean, do you actually use these things? Well here you'll get plenty to use.

Don't pick Come Get Some unless you are good at high speed maneuvering in close quarters.
No additional beta-testers were involved. Please report any bugs you found!
Also this is the first space level I have actually finished.

Have fun!

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Upd: modified the timed door puzzle to make it less infuriating.
DOWNLOAD

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 21 April 2016 - 04:00 AM

User is offline   Jolteon 

Cool map. Like the gimmick of using trip bombs to kill enemies and what not. Although the 4 timed door puzzle did threw me off though. But other than that it was fun. It took me about 30 minutes to complete on come get some. :D

User is offline   zykov eddy 

View PostJolteon, on 20 April 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

Although the 4 timed door puzzle did threw me off though.

Same here. I strongly recommend to make the door puzzle easier. Frustrating & almost impossible ≠ challenging.

So I guess I got carried away with that puzzle, huh.

Updated the map: increased the SE:10 hitag value of those timed doors by 60. Should be much less infuriating now.
Also marked a secret passage with a different pallette value.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'd just like to throw out there that I'm enjoying the amount of maps you have been putting out recently :D

User is offline   MetHy 

Ah, good stuff! You're like the only releasing maps these days.

I'm at the puzzle with 2x 10 switches, I'm guessing the answer is linked to the numbers on the whiteboard a couple of rooms back but for now I can't get arsed to try and figure it out so I'll keep playing later.

This map is a true test of skill for Dukers really, you need to know enemy behaviours by heart and have a good knowledge of the tripbomb too. But we do know this kind of stuff, so it's refreshing.

Did you do something special to make sure Lizards won't drop chainguns?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 April 2016 - 04:42 AM

Hey, thanks! Good to hear you like this map.
The puzzle indeed is linked to the numbers on the whiteboard. Very simple stuff.

No, I didn't do anything so Enforces may actually drop a chaingun occasionally (it happens very rarely for me though). There is also a secret with a hidden chaingun I put just for fun.

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 21 April 2016 - 05:01 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

It's so f*ucking ANNOYING when the map file have different tittle than the level itself. :D

P.S. This map is hard and annoying too. The idea itself is nice (design-wise it's also OK) , but I doubt that the whole map like this can be enjoyable.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostSanek, on 22 April 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

...but I doubt that the whole map like this can be enjoyable.

I think it's a cool map and I really enjoy these experimental type of maps but yeah it does start to get a bit annoying when you're a bit into the map (might also be the fact that I find the laser tripbombs utterly useless and hard to use). When you finally get the Shrink Ray though it's such a relief and it starts to get good again. To put it bluntly the map is a roller coaster. :D

Overall I liked it though and it looks excellent.

Mikko Sandt's review: http://msdn.duke4.ne...tcloserange.php

User is offline   Merlijn 

I personally never use tripbombs, and for good reason: it's such a clumpsy and ineffective way to deal with enemies, unless you can plan ahead. So I expected to hate this map.

But lo and behold, I didn't hate it. There's a sense of accomplishment in beating and outsmarting enemies and seeing them walk into your traps.
The areas were well designed for this type of gameplay, so overall I'd say this was a succesful experiment.
Although I would have liked some more traditional gameplay towards the end, to balance things out.

Design is rock solid, nice textures and shadows. So good job. :D

User is offline   MetHy 

I just finished playing the map (yeah finally) and it was super fun. I actually didn't get tired of the tripbomb, although taking a several days break between the first and 2nd half of the map may have helped.

I liked the layout of the map btw; and the way you constantly threw new gimmicks to keep making the tripbombs more fun and challenging to use (explosive barrels, conveyor belt, jetpack).
That was a great use of conveyor belt btw.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostMister Sinister, on 20 April 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

I present you "Close Range": a disjointed mess of a space level made in two weeks while being extra stressed and extra pissed by educational system.
The level was built from a blueprint I made sometime in March. It combines bits and pieces of different ideas I had back then, yet the main focus are laser tripboms.
I mean, do you actually use these things? Well here you'll get plenty to use.

Don't pick Come Get Some unless you are good at high speed maneuvering in close quarters.
No additional beta-testers were involved. Please report any bugs you found!
Also this is the first space level I have actually finished.

Have fun!

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Upd: modified the timed door puzzle to make it less infuriating.
DOWNLOAD

So, it's Duke 3D's answer to Doom 2's "Barrels of Fun?"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options