Duke4.net Forums: Duke 2070 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 2070

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Posted Image

Download: http://www.dukespana...load.php?id=571

Made for the 9th annual map contest of Duke España. It's about the typical city, but this time it's a bit larger, with many streets, moving vehicles, sewers, several subway lines, underground minigolf, sea, etc. The style is similar to the map Planisphere 2 that I made a couple of years ago for Doom II.

Some images:
Spoiler

User is offline   Jblade 

You made that insane New york map for Doom?! If the screens didn't look great already I would play the map on the basis of that alone, but they look fantastic and pull of a city amazingly well so I'm gonna check this out right now.

User is offline   MetHy 

Those screenshots look amazing. Somehow this has an Argentina feel to it (and not just because of the "nenas calientes" sign). What surprises me as well is how well the alien textures blend in with the rest, good job.
I just hope gameplay doesn't get tedious and boring due to being too unlinear in such big environment. Going to bed now but I'll be sure to play it tomorrow first thing after work :(

I never think of checking Dukespana. Any other map made 'recently' that we may have missed?

User is offline   zykov eddy 

The download link doesn't work for me.

User is offline   Jblade 

Finished it, took me an hour. It was enjoyable, I only discovered 11 out of 28 secrets - I don't mind non-linear maps but I think someone who dislikes them won't get much fun out of this map. The only complaint I'd say is that lots of places are a bit narrow making dodging gunfire a bit more difficult.

User is offline   MetHy 

So far after 15mins of palying, Indoors look quite poor but outdoor looks excellent and feels like a place. Tons of small good ideas everywhere in terms of design.

Gameplay is horrible. No weapons, no items, no health ANYWHERE. It's VERY tedious and frustrating. All I have left to do is resort to savescumming which is just terrible. You should at least give the player one weapon and armor before throwing him into such gigantic unlinear area filled with monsters, this is just unfair and is going to put off a lot of people right at the start of the map.

Edit : okay, I know this is going to sound VERY harsh but here it goes : god job wasting the 2 years or so it took you to make this map. It looks great but it's just UNPLAYABLE due to how gameplay is, I'm fed up with it, sick of dying and savescumming every 10 seconds, sick of wandering around with 10hp and no weapons followed by 2 weapons but with no ammo. Seriously I must have died 30 times already I'm not wasting any more of my rare (and therefore precious) free time in such frustrating and unfair environment, this was supposed to be fun and I feel ripped off of the little free time I have these days. A random building explosion out of nowhere killing me, instantly followed by an alien killing me hidden from behind a window I couldn't see was the last straw; AND I haven't even started yet to figure out what I was supposed to do in that map so it sounds like it's gonna be a LONG tedious frustrating way, I'm out.

The last time I felt this way about a map was with Davox Buenos Aires Explosive except this time it's even worse.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 30 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

other than some weak sector and wall shading the outdoor areas look real good. the indoor areas are a bit plain, cramped, and underwhelming.

i've played about 20 minutes into it and i found the yellow card. the layout is crazy wide open with so many twists, turns, and interconnecting passages that it took just as much time to find the key as it did to find my way back to the lock.
i enjoy exploring, but this level's floor plan is mad confusing and easy to get lost.

i agree with MetHy about the weapon, health, enemy placement.

Some sections of the city are more difficult and infested than others with little to no resources. It's too easy to go the "wrong" way and get scuffed up.
Healing items are scattered about sparsely and pretty much out in the open, but most of the weapons and ammo are stashed in out of the way or hidden nooks. If the player can't find these, then the map is just not very enjoyable.

That being said; i got "lucky". I got the supplies out of the basement of the start building, went up to the balcony and jumped across to the inter-building duct work, found the chaingun, dropped into the pool, went to the limo, got the shotgun.
I also found pipebombs, a pistol, the freezer, shrinker, and an RPG. Other than the freezer at the port and the shrinker in the factory next to the port i have no idea where i managed to pick up the other weapons 'cause they were stashed in one of the many alleys or buildings.

finding the weapons right away helped alot. I would have given up on this otherwise.

I never found this "building 101" that supposedly has supplies. Right now i just got done exploring the sewers and i've basically cleared the port area and the first main section of the city, but with only one card randomly found by a quick run into and out of another city section i'm guessing i've only been through about 1/3 of the map.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for your opinions. I'm very interested because I'll make more "Duke 207X" maps.

By the way, the "building 101" is in front of the pool and the Duke Burger, in the beginning. It's very hard to play the map without visiting that building first. And the blue keycard is accessible via the sewers (I say that because I think the path it's a bit hidden).

View Postzykov eddy, on 29 January 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

The download link doesn't work for me.
I'm trying to upload it to Mediafire, but looks like there are some problems...

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 30 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I would say for your next map to spread the map out a bit since everything felt fairly cramped. Not sure if you know this but you can extend mapster32's default grid size by opening up mapster32.cfg, looking for the line 'editorgridextent' and changing the number to 524288. I did enjoy the map, but I think for the next one it may be an idea to start the player off with an initial cache of weapons (I personally don't mind the scavanger hunt style but it's not terrible popular)

glad to hear you plan to make more though, looking forward to playing them.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPerro Seco, on 30 January 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Thanks for your opinions. I'm very interested because I'll make more "Duke 207X" maps.

By the way, the "building 101" is in front of the pool and the Duke Burger, in the beginning. It's very hard to play the map without visiting that building first. And the blue keycard is accessible via the sewers (I say that because I think the path it's a bit hidden).

yea. i found the blue key right away after i went back and started playing again. when i said i was done with the sewers i was standing in the lobby of the building with the blue key. course i also didn't realize at the time i had to backtrack through the sewers to get to the street again.

the red card took me forever to find - i basically had to re-explore almost the entire map again to find that section that i had passed by earlier.
Didn't remember where knoxville was either so i spent even more time re-exploring until a happened across it.

i was hurting for health and had to suck toilet water a couple times just to get by. don't know if there just wasn't enough in ratio to the enemies, or i just wasn't finding it.

i think i finished the map without going into that building 101 or realizing it was there. after i found that first chaingun and shotgun i went off exploring the rest of the level.

compared to James it took me 1 hr 7 min and found 10 secrets

anyway, thanks for the map. the style's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and other than the additional exploring that this kind of layout may inflict, i found it worth my time.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

This is the worst map i ever played. In beginning it was f*cking hard because i died 20 times and that i had to save every time i kicked an monster because none of f*cking pig cops dropped their shotgun until i found DEVASTATOR and then when i killed a pig cop with devastators, he finally drop a damn shotgun. Then the map are interesting but i still can't found the F*CKING YELLOW KEY!!!! i have spended 130 minutes (2 hours 10 minutes) and I CAN'T FIND IT! the author was drunk when he made this map, i just can't find it but i found red and blue key, so i cheated with DNKEYS to get it to end this goddamn awful level and after 15 more minutes, i finally reached the end of level! i also found out 11 secrets. i give this level 3/10, mostly because the design was good but the gameplay was f*cking terrible, especially the hidden yellow key, i would have given 6/10 if i had found the DAMN YELLOW KEY!!! seriously, how did you guys found it? Now i want to punch the map author in face because he wasted me nearly 3 hours of my life!!! I wish i didn't play this stupid map! :D :( :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So I just checked out the map in mapster, and the scale is very, very ambitious and it's pulled off quite well from a visual stand point so congratulations on that. I can see what everyone's talking about though, the map is quite maze-like in it's layout, plus I saw minimal ammo and only 1 med pack. Detailing on a micro scale is ok, not top notch, but that's completely understandable considering you devoted the resources to the scale of the map, and in that light the detailing is pretty good. However the indoor areas look kinda cramped and I'd imagine that the player would take damage from not being able to move to avoid enemy attack.

Just from my quick look, I can immediately tell that the map would benefit greatly from adding lots of pickups, so that the player can sort of sit back and enjoy the ride rather than save scumming. Maybe there's still time to do so before it's reviewed. Until then, I'll just look at in mapster and appreciate it as a work of art.

View PostJames, on 30 January 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I would say for your next map to spread the map out a bit since everything felt fairly cramped. Not sure if you know this but you can extend mapster32's default grid size by opening up mapster32.cfg, looking for the line 'editorgridextent' and changing the number to 524288. I did enjoy the map, but I think for the next one it may be an idea to start the player off with an initial cache of weapons (I personally don't mind the scavanger hunt style but it's not terrible popular)

glad to hear you plan to make more though, looking forward to playing them.
Thanks for the advice, James. The next map will have wider areas because it will be a field, not a city.

View PostMicky C, on 31 January 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

So I just checked out the map in mapster, and the scale is very, very ambitious and it's pulled off quite well from a visual stand point so congratulations on that. I can see what everyone's talking about though, the map is quite maze-like in it's layout, plus I saw minimal ammo and only 1 med pack. Detailing on a micro scale is ok, not top notch, but that's completely understandable considering you devoted the resources to the scale of the map, and in that light the detailing is pretty good. However the indoor areas look kinda cramped and I'd imagine that the player would take damage from not being able to move to avoid enemy attack.

Just from my quick look, I can immediately tell that the map would benefit greatly from adding lots of pickups, so that the player can sort of sit back and enjoy the ride rather than save scumming. Maybe there's still time to do so before it's reviewed. Until then, I'll just look at in mapster and appreciate it as a work of art.
Glad you liked the design. But hey, are you sure you only see one med pack? I put four.

But I'm not going to change anything in the map. I don't care if it get a 0/100 punctuation or if some people don't like it. I'm not trying to defend the map, but the only thing you have to do if you need weapons, ammo or health, is go back to a cleared area and you will find everything you need to kill all the monsters. There's no need to find any secret to finish the map.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPerro Seco, on 31 January 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

but the only thing you have to do if you need weapons, ammo or health, is go back to a cleared area and you will find everything you need to kill all the monsters.

makes sense. if the area is cleared then there are no monsters to kill, ergo you don't need any weapons, ammo, or health

i like the way you think

This post has been edited by Forge: 31 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

can someone plz tell me where i can find yellow card??? i reloaded saved game before i cheated with DNKEYS and want to finish map as intended as i'm close to finish

User is offline   zykov eddy 

View PostPerro Seco, on 30 January 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

How about attaching it to your post?

• Honored Donor

View PostDuke Nukem IV Guy, on 01 February 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

can someone plz tell me where i can find yellow card??? i reloaded saved game before i cheated with DNKEYS and want to finish map as intended as i'm close to finish

You're a mapper aren't you? Go into mapster and do a sprite search for it.

Thanks Micky C, i finally found it! :(

View PostForge, on 31 January 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

makes sense. if the area is cleared then there are no monsters to kill, ergo you don't need any weapons, ammo, or health

i like the way you think
I think I didn't express myself well (I'm from Spain and my English is very bad :()...

I mean that you can't go straight all the time because you'll be killed. For example; at the start you can get the shotgun in the limo and the supplies in the building 101 and in the basement of the start building. If, instead that, you go straight to other infected areas you'll miss them.

View PostMicky C, on 01 February 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

You're a mapper aren't you? Go into mapster and do a sprite search for it.
Is there a "sprite search" option in Mapster32?

View Postzykov eddy, on 01 February 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

How about attaching it to your post?
I didn't know that option. Here it is:

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  2070.zip (4.06MB)
    Number of downloads: 200

• Honored Donor

Nevertheless the map appears extremely hard just looking at how everything is placed.

Is there a "sprite search" option in Mapster32?

Yeah, press alt-F8 on any sprite in 2D mode and you can basically search for anything. Once you've told it what to search for, get out of it and flip through the results with [ and ]

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 February 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostMicky C, on 01 February 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

Yeah, press alt-F8 on any sprite in 2D mode and you can basically search for anything. Once you've told it what to search for, get out of it and flip through the results with [ and ]
Wow, that's a great option, and I never saw it before. Thanks a lot man!

PS: I can't upvote posts. It says I reached the limit but I didn't upvoted nothing today...

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 01 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

I like the map, but i would advice to use more like doors or gates that you need to open for a new location. Everything is pretty much open. Take example like Grand Theft Auto where you need finish certains missions before you can get to the next island. :( Still enjoyable map :D Hopefully you'll make more mapes in the future that look like this!

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

This is the type of map I like the most: huge, non-linear, and lots of exploration. Ran low on health as well. Found about 20 secrets. I don't mind getting lost every now and then, it wasn't unfair IMO. The overall atmosphere was somewhat less consistent to me compared to Routine which is probably due to the 2070's huge size.

View PostPerro Seco, on 01 February 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

PS: I can't upvote posts. It says I reached the limit but I didn't upvoted nothing today...
Junior members with less than 50 or so posts can't vote.

User is offline   faked 

While I'm sure (or not) there is a bug or two,I will just say I was WAY to busy enjoying this map to notice.Keep up the good work! :blink:

User is offline   Shelia 

Oh gosh this map is perfect only thing missing is it crahed on me Xd so i haven't; seen ti all

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

(Looks at screens) Yikes!!! This looks insane, but in a brilliant way.

Looking forward to trying this out.

User is offline   Shelia 

I can't find the red or yellow key can someone help me out I'm lost XD. every alien is dead including the small overlord minboss now what/

btw I'm not sure why but when i go into map mode it crashes in certain spots

This post has been edited by Yoko: 13 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostYoko, on 13 March 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

I can't find the red or yellow key can someone help me out I'm lost XD. every alien is dead including the small overlord minboss now what/
IIRC you can get the yellow one by diving into a pond and then follow a long underwater pipe.

View PostYoko, on 13 March 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

btw I'm not sure why but when i go into map mode it crashes in certain spots
Please try to reproduce this crash by using the latest debug executable from here and post the resulting crashlog as attachment.

User is offline   Shelia 

Red key location? please/

This post has been edited by Yoko: 13 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options