Duke4.net Forums: South L.A. [RELEASED] - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

South L.A. [RELEASED]

User is offline   LakiSoft 

I can finally announce the release of South L.A. map. Well remember my old Duke IV mod that sucked ass due the bad mapping? Well instead of 10 shitty maps, i actually made one better map. South L.A. is remake of my old Duke IV mod, it did keep main storyline of Duke IV, but level is new. South L.A. also contains new art, new enemies, new sounds and new kick ass music. Although it is not perfect, level is far better than those 10 maps in old Duke IV.

Storyline:

Duke Nukem is having fun in the bar, as he decided to back on subway to get home, he is ambushed by aliens. Later Nukem receives the message from General Graves that aliens are ploting on invading South L.A., however General also warns him that goverment sent military force in order to cover up incident and eliminate aleins and any possible witnesses, since that, Duke Nukem gets attacked by Miltary forces. However, as time passes, Nukem finds out that his old nemesis Chuck Norris is behind military clean up. Norris is angered by Duke ever since Duke defeated Dr Proton, as Norris claimed that he shall defeated Proton and became hero, Duke stolen his work! Duke have to locate storages controlled by Chuck Norris' military force and his best agent James Bond and proceed to FBI Headquarters. Can Nukem defeated Bond and Norris and show those dudes their place? :)

Trivia:

-As i was doing this map, i originally planned different final boss area. My first idea was to place Chuck Norris in some kind of storage, just like where Bond is, however as being to repetitive i scraped this idea. Second plan was to make Chuck Norris's secret base that can only be reached by water canals. However, i didn't had idea for such a base, so instead i put Chuck Norris in UNDERWATER BASE itself. Yeah i know it doesn't make sense to breathe a water as he is not alien or something, but, due the fact of Chuck Norris jokes, why he couldn't breathe underwater that way? :)

-Another difference between actual old Duke IV and this polished map is lack of Race X Homeworld and even Race X aliens itself. Due the lack of ideas and some software problems, i have to scrap off Race X from plot, although people who played my old Duke IV eariler actually most like Race X from new enemies, sorry about that. In ART files, Race X replaced Fat Commander, but here Commander's sprites are untouched. Plus in fact only two examples of Commanders cab be seen in entire map. Only left over from Race X aliens is their lower health than in original game...

-However, aliens in general only exist in beginning of the level, as you play longer, Marines mostly appear in second half of level, and later featuring two boss arena, one mini boss (Bond) and later final boss in underwater (Chuck Norris). U.S. Marines are pig cop replacements, however their sprites are now much smaller and different in old Duke IV where they were oversized.

-James Bond is health is now 1500 HP, while in Duke IV, his HP was 1000, although you fought him trice in level 9 of Duke IV, equally giving 3000 HP in old version, so yeah, he is actually weaker for 50% than in old mod. His sprite is resized a bit.

-Chuck Norris sprite is same, although his HP is reduced from 11111 to 8000 HP due the difficult fight in underwater area.

Download link: http://s000.tinyuplo...244888288414605

OR

http://s000.tinyuplo...828841460553837

I really appologize for bumping the topic. I just wanted to add some download links for screenshots of this map. I couldn't find any working image host site for some reason so i uploaded it as file itself. I appologize again. :) Enjoy the screenshots.

Download screenshots 1: http://s000.tinyuplo...876871157757310

http://s000.tinyuplo...115775731037932

Download screenshots 2:
http://s000.tinyuplo...549471900466540

http://s000.tinyuplo...190046654024863
Screenshots 1 Screenshots 2

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You can upload files directly to posts here which is easiest. Some people use Imgur and photo bucket, although you can't show the image directly, you need to click to visit the image.

The way you have it now you need to click the link to visit the page, then click again to download. It's a small thing, but generally you want to minimise the amount of effort people have to go through when you want to persuade them to take certain actions.

User is offline   Lunick 

I added Imgur links to his post although I didn't embed them directly due to how many and long they are.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Hey Laki,

Those screenshots looks like you've practiced your mapping since making Duke Nukem IV. I'll play your map when I get a chance. Welcome back to Duke4.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It does look like a big improvement.

The only problem is an essentially complete lack of shading. Add that in and it'd look pretty good.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Thanks to your advices i improved my mapping skills, and i am going to improve and improve even more. Still my maps indeed needs some more work and shading. I will try to fix that in future levels. Thank you for wishing me comeback too. I am glad i am better behaving member now and better mapper than i was in past, thanks to your feedback. Duke Nukem IV levels were piece of shit, so i wanted to do complete remake from scratch that would at least be a "bit more worth" than worthless oversized giant ass ugly rooms i did in past. I meantime, i learnt how to use slopes, some shading (but still not perfect) and many other useful things.As for Imgur and other sites, i tried not ALL, but MOST of them, and either image file dissapears or either i can't find an "upload" button (i think this is ImUr case) so i uploaded images to actual files. Again thanks for your feedback guys. Thank you. :)

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

For Imgur, try dragging and dropping the images onto the webpage.

User is offline   Vitaly 

Would much appreciate if someone reuploaded this map.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

http://www.mediafire...p7687/south.zip

User is offline   Vitaly 

Thanks!

Thank you Forge for reviving my file, once again. I didn't even knew my South L.A. link expired, i should be more careful next time. Thank you for saving my mods, even if they are mostly pieces of shit to be honest. :P

User is offline   Seb Luca 

A funny level. Some things could be improved, especially at the sprite work level. But the environments are generally well done and the tiems well balanced in number. :P

Yeah, thanks for reply guys. Speaking of sprite work, i totally agree, i don't know why my copy of DukeRes always mess sprite art like that (if you meaning the Marines...) but independent of that, most of sprites design don't look very great as i suck at image editing anyway, but thank you for your trials of my maps and your feedback. Sorry for my bad english..

Bumping topic, i am glad i am going to post updated version of South L.A. map. Marine sprites that were screwed up in ART file have been fixed. Now it also contains recommended EDuke32 version bundled with it. After you extract contents from South.rar you only need to place a copy of your DUKE3D.GRP (Atomic Edition) into South folder. Then launch South.bat to run the level.

Note that this map was temporary kinda lost because of hardware issues i had in past, but it was reuploaded by Forge. So Big Credits and Big Thanks to Forge. This little map update probably wouldn't be possible without him.

Download here: Attached File  south.rar (13.61MB)
Number of downloads: 128

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options