Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   MetHy 

Ha, I had this box myself, which has completely different screenshots. Including places I still wonder where they are :dukegoof:

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 May 2019 - 04:14 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

This reminds me how even though there are literally heaps of official/pre-release Duke3D shots that have been found in lossless quality (or in any digital quality for that matter), there seem to be quite a few more that are to be found yet.

I wonder if any images remain in the 3DR archives?

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I read on Lee Jackson's discussion group on Facebook that Duke 3D's E4L6 is based on the post office where 3D Realms did all their business. Some people may already know it, because it's also written in the Duke 3D Wiki, but I'm sure there are even more people who still don't know it (like me, until yesterday), so here's a photo of the building and its parking lot taken from Google Maps:

http://i66.tinypic.com/1hz42p.jpg

User is offline   mxrtxn 

In Shadow Warrior there´s a camera voxel that was never used in the game but can be extracted

In the level "Crude Oil" theres a screen broadcasting a video taken by a video camera but if you search the room being shown in the screen you wont find neither a sprite nor the camera voxel being used.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/21bvd3p.jpg

Also it seems someone has updated his Shadow Warrior Voxel Pack:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2qkntq8.jpg

CHECK THE LAST PAGE OF THE THREAD FOR THE UPDATED DOWNLOAD LINK:

https://forums.duke4...ck/page__st__90

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 09 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostPerro Seco, on 26 May 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

I read on Lee Jackson's discussion group on Facebook that Duke 3D's E4L6 is based on the post office where 3D Realms did all their business. Some people may already know it, because it's also written in the Duke 3D Wiki, but I'm sure there are even more people who still don't know it (like me, until yesterday), so here's a photo of the building and its parking lot taken from Google Maps:

http://i66.tinypic.com/1hz42p.jpg

I love seeing this type of stuff. Thanks for sharing that.

One question is there any screenshots that are dated for example later 1995 (November-December) of Duke Nukem 3D Press Release screens? Are screenshots from these dates already available or not? How they look like, closer to other 1995 betas or like 0.99 and v1.0 which are made in early 1996? If anyone has answer i will be very thankful.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

This image is from one of old archived GT Interactive websites. It seems to have been cropped from some bigger art.

https://i.imgur.com/qm6Gg5F.gif

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostGingis Khan, on 10 June 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

One question is there any screenshots that are dated for example later 1995 (November-December) of Duke Nukem 3D Press Release screens? Are screenshots from these dates already available or not? How they look like, closer to other 1995 betas or like 0.99 and v1.0 which are made in early 1996? If anyone has answer i will be very thankful.

Go to this link. It has some screenshots starting from June 1995 up till November 1995. To answer your question, the November shots look closer to 0.99/1.0 than the older betas.

I found my version of the game, with BETA images of the box and the booklet.

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2019/07/30/190730015359539119.jpg

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2019/07/30/190730015631128288.jpg
https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2019/07/30/190730015704490467.jpg

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

• Banned on Rigel

All the manuals across versions have the same pre-release materials in them.

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

• Buy Mage's Initiation!

That one shows the actual protozoid slimer though. My manual showed an old design.

I just realised how similar Allen Blum's Derelict and Levelord's Sewer maps are in terms of layout/atmosphere/visual narrative. While the former level takes place on an abandoned oil tanker in the middle of the ocean, and the latter is a traditional LA city level with a sewer system, they have a similar structure. For both levels, you just start in an open area with nonlinear layout, there are various ways you can move, also there are many windows with enemies waiting to you which can be unsettling and disorienting early on. Your job is to find a key in the top of the area (highest window) and needs jumping/minor platforming in both levels. Then with the key you can go down to the second part of the level, a much different area with sewers, rotating/crushing gears and such. The enemy placement/pacing/atmosphere is also rather different in the segments in both maps. The main similarity, however, is the two segments are related as above and below in both maps, and both mirror each other in a very 3D-esque way. One had the top of the ship and the bottom of the ship, the other had the city above and the sewer below. Even they have the similarity of the above area has a little secret hint to the below area with Derelict have an actual blocked entrance from the ship, while Sewer have a short sewerish area in the city part of the level.

They carefully put various connecting locations in both levels as well, although the main difference is that Sewer had been left a bit unfinished, and you can use these connections (shafts) breaking the flow of the level, while in Derelict, they are mostly multiplayer only available stuff. Also I think in Sewer the blue key is not had been put in its final location, it should have been in the small room that spawned Pigcops. Also there are some unused Pigcop spawns, presumably belong to one of the two touchplates share the same tag (one with the yellow key, the other is the room that supposed to have the blue one).

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if Levelord took lessons from Allen when he made Sewer. Derelict was a very early map in the game, at first it wasn't even a stormy/dark level, but I assume it was the base of making Sewer, at least layout-wise. There are other levels that used verticality very well (ie. Spaceport, Freeway), but the segments on those maps aren't that different, they are just part 1 and part 2 of the same theme. Also, there are levels in the game which used the "change theme" effectively, like The Abyss, Dark Side, or even later levels like Mirage Barrage, but those maps are horizontal in comparison.

This might not be the first time when Levelord took hint from Allen's design. It's still unknown by the developement hell of Duke3D who created Warp Factor's main layout, but it's definitely took hints from Dark Side, they are also similarly structured maps.

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

• Judge Mental

Anybody have some good full size images of this boxart for Duke Nukem? I searched the shit out of Google and couldn't find any. I used to have a full set of really nice images of the box, but they're long gone now. Anybody?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: images.jpg

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 11 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 10 September 2019 - 11:34 PM, said:

This might not be the first time when Levelord took hint from Allen's design. It's still unknown by the developement hell of Duke3D who created Warp Factor's main layout, but it's definitely took hints from Dark Side, they are also similarly structured maps.

Dark Side was made earlier, (since it was featutred heavily in the promo materials) and Blum joined Apogee before Grey, so he started working on the game earlier and made more content, isn't it?

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 September 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

Anybody have some good full size images of this boxart for Duke Nukem? I searched the shit out of Google and couldn't find any. I used to have a full set of really nice images of the box, but they're long gone now. Anybody?

xMobilemux have the box, he showed it in his monster Duke Nukem Collection video. Perhaps he can make the scans?

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

• Judge Mental

View PostSanek, on 11 September 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

Blum joined Apogee before Grey,

Blum is Duke Nukem's daddy.

xMobilemux have the box, he showed it in his monster Duke Nukem Collection video. Perhaps he can make the scans?

That's right, good call.

Dark Side was made earlier, (since it was featutred heavily in the promo materials) and Blum joined Apogee before Grey, so he started working on the game earlier and made more content, isn't it?

That's what I have said basically. I wouldn't be surprised if Warp Factor and/or Sewer were started by Blum (the map layout at least), since they are much more complex than Levelord's usual layouts, or simply Levelord taking hint from the high-profile maps in the development era when created them.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options