Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 43 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Lunick: I can't believe you can pre-order Duke Nukem 3D in 2016

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHendricks266, on 01 May 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

A note to everyone:

If you have magazines with beta screenshots, scan them. (Please.)

I have collected these from the Internet:

https://imgur.com/a/5V2Cu

User is offline   MrFlibble 

On a side note, with good, high-quality scans it should be possible to get pixel-accurate versions of screenshots (but of course with colour inaccuracies due to the specifics of the printing process) if the source images are large enough. Sadly much of the stuff available online are scans that are a) not in the highest resolution available, b) often mangled by high levels of JPEG compression and c) may be not perfectly aligned vertically, distorting the images.

To give you some idea of what I'm talking about, here's my attempt at restoring a screenshot on this page:
Posted Image

Compare it to another screenshot in original quality:
Posted Image

It's not 100% perfect but you can see that the ARMOR and HEALTH text, the compass, ammo counter and the SAFE indicator are pixel-accurate in the restored image compared to the original screenshot. The left side is somehow mangled a bit, perhaps due to some inaccuracies during scanning (?). I got this by cropping the screenshot from the scan, resizing it via Nearest Neighbour to 1280x800 (4x the original size), applying Gaussian blur at 1 pixel radius, then downsizing everything to 320x200 with the Bicubic interpolation method (all done in GIMP).

Note that the quality of the scan is far from excellent; I'm hoping that with better source images, even more accurate results may be achieved.

User is online   Sanek 

Extracted from Fox's archive...it sure looks cool! B)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: B1.JPG

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostFox, on 01 December 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

I have collected these from the Internet:

https://imgur.com/a/5V2Cu

Hi Fox,
add them to your collection
https://imgur.com/a/bLmz4

per mille balene

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Loved the Battlelord concept art:

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 43 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options