Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Marphy Black 

I've just received a copy of the Rise of the Triad Official Player's Guide (way at the bottom), and reading through the beginning sections, I realize that it clears up several long held mysteries I've had regarding the game's plot.

If you've played the game, you've most naturally seen the in-game intro sequence which summarizes the story as thus: a strike team known as the HUNT is sent to San Nicolas Island to scope out a bunch of weirdos inhabiting the island's monastery. Before they can report back to their HQ, their boat is exploded, forcing them to enter the ancient site of worship.

It's the manual that explains a bit more of the things we're familiar with now:
Posted Image

So this is where we learn about the Oscurido cult that worships El Oscuro and wishes to blast Los Angeles to kingdom come for bad guy purposes. However, one thing always puzzled me: the mention of "a pyrotechnics expert and a rich movie studio head have joined forces with the Oscurido cult." What's that all that about?

Strictly speaking, the manual does plainly, if not indirectly, identify who these two individuals are supposed to be:
Posted Image Posted Image

So if you were ever curious, "General" Darian is not actually a general. He's just a special effects guy. And Sebastian Krist is not a man of military rank either. He's the former head of a movie studio. That studio was called "Triad Pictures".

Technically, everything I've stated here so far has always been easily accessible information for anyone who checked the manual, although I don't think many people acknowledge the fact that half the bosses in the game are filmmakers. Still, what the hell is "Triad Pictures"? Where does San Nicolas Island fit into the picture? What does a man with a lunchbox obsession and Joe sitting in a chair threatening to staple his own hands have to do with Tom Hall wearing a robe? Why does the HUNT blow up an innocent and defenseless tower at the end of the game? Believe or not, there are answers to all of these questions, and as far as I can tell, they were only revealed within the Player's Guide story synopsis and no where else.

Rather than provide a scan, I'm just going to retype the whole section:

Rise of the Triad Official Players Guide said:

THE STORY SO FAR

Triad Pictures, owned and run by Sebastian Krist, has long been suspected as a haven for the cult worshippers of "El Oscuro, the Dark." The Oscuridos believe their divine godhead will come and cleanse the world of non-believers. Their rituals are rumored to include animal sacrifices, pagan "black magic" ceremonies, and other grisly satanic events.

Krist has masterminded a number of weapons heists and tapped the expertise of John Darian, a special-effects wizard, to kill his Hollywood rivals. Now the pair and their followers have retreated to an old Spanish monastery on San Nicolas Island, a secluded hunk of rock that's situated about 20 miles west of Los Angeles and partially owned by Triad Pictures.

Even though there isn't enough evidence to directly link Krist with the Oscuro cult, a special team of counter-terrorist agents, organized with the cooperation of major world powers under the United Nations and called the HUNT (High-risk United Nations Taskforce), has been trailing Krist and observing activity on the island. In the last few days, monk cultists and guards wearing uniforms with the Triad Pictures logo have been spotted overseeing the movement of a shipment of explosives off the island. The HUNT has also discovered that the cult plans to destroy Los Angeles. In fact, the bombs planted around the city have already begun to detonate, but before the HUNT can leave the island or even get to a radio transmitter, the cultists destroy their boat. Left with no way out, this lightly-armed band of commandos decide to fight their way into the monastery and destroy the remaining detonation devices before Krist and Darian can wreak havoc on an unsuspecting city. Millions of lives hang in the balance. You're a member of the HUNT team. If you succeed, you'll be a hero to billions. And just think of the movie offers...

MISSION OBJECTIVE

Kill or be killed. This simple statement encompasses a number of more complicated tasks, like solving puzzles, killing Triad members, finding weapons, killing monks, getting ammunition, slaughtering more followers of El Oscuro, and finding power-ups and life restoratives.

The overall goal of the game is to locate Darian, Krist, and El Oscuro's earthly manifestation, and then rid the world of their odious presence. They guard the detonator device that is systematically blowing up explosives hidden all over Los Angeles. Destroy this device, win the game, and you may earn a few weeks of leave before your next mission.

And there you have it. Everything about the game makes sense now. The ancient monastery was renovated by Triad Pictures to be used as a movie set, a cover for their true nefarious deeds. The triad logo and even the "Triad" name itself alludes to the cinematic production company owned by movie mogul Sebastian Krist, John Darian being the head of the special effect department. The thing you blow up at the end of the game is a "detonation device" that would have blowed up Los Angeles (or rather, you stopped it from further blowing up the city, it seems). And that truly is some miscellaneous knowledge.

For the record, I don't think the 2013 remake utilized much of this movie production studio/filmmaker espionage aspect of the Triad storyline.

Formerly RinyRed
aka Revenant100

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 06 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Cool find! I wonder if this plot was there from the start or created as an afterthought for the players' guide. The game seems to "work" quite well without these details. In fact, I remember Krist being described somewhere as "movie mogul turned cult pawn" suggesting that his role was not as important at least in some versions of the background story.

View PostMrFlibble, on 06 May 2017 - 04:32 AM, said:

Cool find! I wonder if this plot was there from the start or created as an afterthought for the players' guide.

I'd hazard a confident guess that Tom Hall did indeed handle most of the lore bits that appear in the guide. For what little the story had relevance to the gameplay, there are still smatterings of innocuous plot bits scattered all around in the enemy and item descriptions. For example, the TNT crates are specifically described as being unused explosives meant for the LA bombings.

Also, I just remembered that I totally forgot that ROTT's manual has a second story section for some inexplicable reason at the back. It's a tad more wordy:

Posted Image

While it mostly reiterates what it already said at the booklet's beginning story section, it does reveal to us the name of Triad Pictures' island monastery film, "Prayers in the Dark" (The Dark, El Oscuro, get it?), and clarifies that the cult's detonation device used to set off the explosives planted in LA is also a mobile band jammer, so in addition to saving LA, blowing up the tower also conveniently gives the HUNT the ability to contact HQ again. And I guess the Triad's uniforms are actually Korean military surplus, which I would theorize is just Hall's way of acknowledging why the costumes fit so poorly (more so on the cut actors that we haven't seen much of, unfortunately).

Formerly RinyRed
aka Revenant100

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 07 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

This bit of narration from the manual seems to suggest that Thi Barrett is the team leader. I'm not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere (IIRC in the 2013 remake Taradino Cassatt is the leader). At least, that rhymes somewhat with her taking the cetral part of the box art.

User is offline   Sanek 

Is there any Balls of Steel promos? I don't know how popular these game was, but I'm sure 3DRealms at least did some effort to promote it, since it have so much Duke Nukem connections. :rolleyes:

User is online   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMarphy Black, on 05 May 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

I've just received a copy of the Rise of the Triad Official Player's Guide (way at the bottom), and reading through the beginning sections, I realize that it clears up several long held mysteries I've had regarding the game's plot.

A bit late to the party, but wouldn't it be hilarious if the cult was simply a film crew making a movie, all the instances of aggression from both sides were just a series of misunderstandings?

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.
Mapper of the Month December 2014.

Herbs? Tell me more!

Just stumbled into a bit more of Rise of the Triad trivia, this time offering a little insight into a cut feature. To set the stage, I imagine many of you are familiar with the Lightning Guard, if not by his name then likely by him being the "No, don't shoot!" guy who sometimes pleads for mercy. His other notable characteristic is his ability to steal your missile weapon if you get to close to him. When he does, he says "Gimme that!" and plays a unique two frame animation. However, there are some peculiarities about this animation sequence when you view the raw frames.

Posted Image

Rather unnecessarily, this animation has full 8-sided rotations even though you're pretty much always only ever going to see the Lightning Guard from the front perspective when he steals your weapon. Perhaps the explanation behind this can be derived from the sprite names: LIHUSE. Clearly these sprites weren't originally intended for weapon stealing at all. They were meant for a generic "Use" state.

I thought I'd seen this pose in this context before, and lo and behold, reviewing Joe's actor capture session videos shows that the Low Guard, Death Monk, and Deathfire Monk also had these poses recorded:

https://youtu.be/zUbuFR6tVrc?t=9m28s - Low Guard
https://youtu.be/QPyeeSKlnWY?t=1m47s - Death Monk
https://youtu.be/QPyeeSKlnWY?t=7m58s - Deathfire Monk

And while we don't have any visual confirmation for the rest, checking the source code, we can see a whole commented out section for most of the enemies' Use states.

/*
	{&s_lowgrduse1,&s_highgrduse1,&s_opuse1,&s_strikeuse1,
	 &s_blitzuse,&s_enforceruse1,NULL,NULL,
	 NULL,&s_darianuse1,NULL,NULL,
	 NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL},*/
	 {0},

Curiously, though, the Use states for the Death Monk and Deathfire Monk are null'd out here, making me think the Use state was either cut early before being implemented for those two, or the monk types were not meant to have a Use state at all, despite having already recorded said frames.

The big question still on my mind: What exactly was this Use state intended for? The only object interaction I can recall enemies performing is opening doors. Even if doors were the sole intended use case, there's still the question of why the monks lack the Use state. Maybe they just interacted through intangible sorcery powers?

Technically, we do have one other example of the Use sprites being used in-game: "General" Darian pressing the spear stabbing buttons in his cage employs his DARUSE frames, the only other character to have such frames in the released game files. However, as you can see from the commented out code section above, this isn't necessarily reflective of the generic Use state all enemies were meant to have.

As a side note, we do have evidence that the missing Use frames were fully digitized for all of the actors. In the ROTT manual, we can see the Death Monk using his Use frames in the bottom-left flip book on pages 24 and 26.

Formerly RinyRed
aka Revenant100

I have always wondered why you see the dog's paw opening doors when in Dog Mode but no comparable animation during normal play. That would be much similar to the animation of Duke using keycards.

User is offline   oasiz 

Wanted to give LD a quick spin again...
M4 has a quake effect that has always been broken, decided to do a quick fix by adding some triggers and such.
Mostly was curious about that building which gets ripped apart.

I'm guessing that this is the first instance that they tried Quake fx in the game and it appropriately gets done in a Hollywood blvd. themed area, probably wanted to combine those two early on.

Not sure where to post this, a guy recently did interviews with Scott Miller, Ken Silverman and Jon St. John:
http://www.arcadeatt...k/scott-miller/
http://www.arcadeatt.../ken-silverman/
http://www.arcadeatt...uk/jon-st-john/

User is online   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

oasiz, on 17 May 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

Wanted to give LD a quick spin again...
M4 has a quake effect that has always been broken, decided to do a quick fix by adding some triggers and such.
Mostly was curious about that building which gets ripped apart.

I'm guessing that this is the first instance that they tried Quake fx in the game and it appropriately gets done in a Hollywood blvd. themed area, probably wanted to combine those two early on.

Looks like something that can be emulated pretty easily with the sliding door effect.

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.
Mapper of the Month December 2014.

Herbs? Tell me more!

User is offline   oasiz 

It actually should be doable in retail as well, quake effect just works a tiny bit differently since it triggers less hardcoded stuff (sound/shake)
Quake is one of the few "wallpoint mover" effects along with curtain/bridge that exist in Duke.

Mostly was curious about it's application in this map since that building ripping apart is something I haven't really seen in maps.

I came across an odd feature in Redneck Rampage: When you die, you can use the "rdelvis" God mode cheat to resurrect yourself, but this will cause the game to continually repeat the message "CHEATER! YOU USED THE CHEAT TO COME BACK ALIVE" in your HUD.

Posted Image Posted Image

Not sure why this technique warrants endless spam on the player, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Formerly RinyRed
aka Revenant100

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2017 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options