Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is online   Marphy Black 

Finishing off my Redneck kick, I've taken a gander at the internals of Redneck Deer Huntin'. I think there are some interesting graphics left in the ART files, but before I finish scrutinizing those, here's the interesting stuff I found in the code.

• The acronym "RRGH" appears several times in the game files: one con file is named RRGH.CON, "RRGH" is used in several variable names, and most tellingly, this comment appears in DEER.CON:
    // RRGHBETA 1.02 - space btwn leavetrax for walk is now actioncount 4

Based on this acronym, I think it's reasonable to assume that the original working title for the game was Redneck Rampage Gone Huntin'. The "Rampage" was dropped possibly to eliminate any suggestions of overt violence (it's just a T-rated hunting game, after all), and the "Gone Huntin" was changed to "Deer Huntin'" almost certainly to make it more closely compete with the successful Deer Hunter series of the time.

• In USER.CON, two difficulty settings are defined:
    defineskillname 0 AMATEUR
    defineskillname 1 EXPERT

However, no such difficulty selection is available in the game.

• Also in USER.CON, a seventh map is referenced:
    definelevelname 0 0 e1l1.map 04:45 03:53 LAKE SWAMPY
    definelevelname 0 1 e1l2.map 04:05 03:46 SAGEBRUSH FLATS
    definelevelname 0 2 e1l3.map 00:00 00:00 OZARK FOREST
    definelevelname 0 3 e1l4.map 00:00 00:00 SNOWBUSH RIDGE
    definelevelname 0 4 e1l5.map 00:00 00:00 NORTH RANGE
    definelevelname 0 5 e1l6.map 00:00 00:00 SOUTH RANGE
    definelevelname 0 6 e1l7.map 00:00 00:00 TEST MAP

No e1l7 is included in the game files, however.

Also of note here are the non-zero par times, both of which are taken from Redneck Rampage Rides Again. Lake Swampy's comes from RA's e1l1, while Sagebrush Flats' comes from RA's e2l1. Hence, Sagebrush Flats probably occupied the e2l1 map slot at some point during development.

Formerly RinyRed
aka Revenant100

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 02 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Just to let you know, we have added an MD3 with sixteen separate objects with individual UV maps into EDuke and it works.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

This texture is present in Zero Hour 3rd level:

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2017 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options