Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

Finishing off my Redneck kick, I've taken a gander at the internals of Redneck Deer Huntin'. I think there are some interesting graphics left in the ART files, but before I finish scrutinizing those, here's the interesting stuff I found in the code.

• The acronym "RRGH" appears several times in the game files: one con file is named RRGH.CON, "RRGH" is used in several variable names, and most tellingly, this comment appears in DEER.CON:
    // RRGHBETA 1.02 - space btwn leavetrax for walk is now actioncount 4

Based on this acronym, I think it's reasonable to assume that the original working title for the game was Redneck Rampage Gone Huntin'. The "Rampage" was dropped possibly to eliminate any suggestions of overt violence (it's just a T-rated hunting game, after all), and the "Gone Huntin" was changed to "Deer Huntin'" almost certainly to make it more closely compete with the successful Deer Hunter series of the time.

• In USER.CON, two difficulty settings are defined:
    defineskillname 0 AMATEUR
    defineskillname 1 EXPERT

However, no such difficulty selection is available in the game.

• Also in USER.CON, a seventh map is referenced:
    definelevelname 0 0 e1l1.map 04:45 03:53 LAKE SWAMPY
    definelevelname 0 1 e1l2.map 04:05 03:46 SAGEBRUSH FLATS
    definelevelname 0 2 e1l3.map 00:00 00:00 OZARK FOREST
    definelevelname 0 3 e1l4.map 00:00 00:00 SNOWBUSH RIDGE
    definelevelname 0 4 e1l5.map 00:00 00:00 NORTH RANGE
    definelevelname 0 5 e1l6.map 00:00 00:00 SOUTH RANGE
    definelevelname 0 6 e1l7.map 00:00 00:00 TEST MAP

No e1l7 is included in the game files, however.

Also of note here are the non-zero par times, both of which are taken from Redneck Rampage Rides Again. Lake Swampy's comes from RA's e1l1, while Sagebrush Flats' comes from RA's e2l1. Hence, Sagebrush Flats probably occupied the e2l1 map slot at some point during development.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 02 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Just to let you know, we have added an MD3 with sixteen separate objects with individual UV maps into EDuke and it works.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

This texture is present in Zero Hour 3rd level:

Posted Image

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I noticed that the early Shadow Warrior ad in CGW #140 has a screenshot that I don't believe is in circulation at the moment. It's not in Jimmy's BUILD Archive or in any of the disc previews I've went through on my own. ANY information on this would be welcome.

Posted Image

The three first screenshots are available and around:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S. If anyone has any idea for the source of the Shuriken render on this ad as well, please let me know. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

User is offline   neznam 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 30 August 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

C. 搖滾少林系列 - 廖添丁傳
Rock 'n' ShaoLin - Legend of Liao Tian-Ding 3D
(Looks like the sequel of the Lot7P...)

I'm not a native speaker of Chinese, but using google translate, I find that some Chinese forum posts say that this sequel was indeed released on August 11th, 1995.
https://bbs.saraba1s...682153-1-1.html

Perhaps someday someone with more intimate knowledge will find the game itself.

This post has been edited by neznam: 16 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postneznam, on 16 September 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

I'm not a native speaker of Chinese, but using google translate, I find that some Chinese forum posts say that this sequel was indeed released on August 11th, 1995.
https://bbs.saraba1s...682153-1-1.html

Perhaps someday someone with more intimate knowledge will find the game itself.

People in China didn't really know Taiwanese shit, at least about shit from EngineSoft and Accend. :)

https://forums.duke4...e-by-taiwanese/

The 4th game of EngineSoft(東方傳記 Legend of Eastern, released on 1998) may not be a FPS-like game, since it's RPG and according the guy who were worked for EngineSoft and he didn't said any about that game so I'm not sure...and I just can't found more about that game(unless I can found a copy and check) so maybe I'm wrong. :\

Accend, Inc. only released RS:Lot7P and then went bankrupt, states with their rest games just unknown...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 17 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

User is online   FistMarine 

I have asked on this topic and I didn't get an answer, so I will ask again: What was changed on maps E1L1, E1L2, E1L8 and E3L11 between versions 1.3D and 1.5?

User is offline   Fox 

They fixed some warp glitches in the maps (and added some expander ammo to E1L8).

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is online   FistMarine 

Thanks! I was actually thinking that Expander Ammo was added in E1L8. :)

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I was just browsing a gaming site archived by the Wayback Machine and came across this screenshot (source):
Posted Image

It clearly belongs to the same batch as some of the shots in the November 1995 preview, but it's not there. Anyone know where this is from? Also the Trooper sprite has some weird pixels on the edges.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Not part of that bunch... just look at the missing skull/armor HUD icons and toxic dump being very different compared to the DM shot and this snap.
Possibly earlier 1995 with this snap.

You're right, silly me didn't look closer at the HUD in the November pack. I meant the August 1995 Duke/Shadow Warrior combo pack, it has the same type of HUD.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 20 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I've found an unboxing video of Tekwar. With the box comes a magazine which also talks about other games in development, like Duke 3D. There's no much to see, and the screenshots aren't new, but looks like the story is a bit different:

Posted Image
Something about a giant bomb and a dome in which Duke has to infiltrate? Here's the video, but it is hard to read the rest.

I seem to vaguely remember the dome concept from somewhere, perhaps it was in some magazine preview.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I swear, that reminds me of something I thought I read at one point about the whole thing being a police state and having Escape from New York influences, at one stage.

There is some of that sorta in the urban map designs, with giant walls and barriers blocking streets, as if they were closed in by military/police.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Bummer, my Shanty-box only has the manual and no preview catalog.

This kind of is present in early LD maps in EP2 that are mostly focused on entering a nuclear plant and blowing it's reactor up before hitting the streets proper.
I'm kind of really interested on how the story evolved as there are various traces to a plotline but it's hard to tell what the big picture is exactly since there are at least two major stages of development present in LD.

I was browsing a Wayback Machine copy of a Brazilian software publisher BraSoft and found their page for the Plutonium Pak:
http://www.brasoft.com.br/produtos/dukeplut/index.htm

Interestingly they have several screenshots that seem familiar but are not found on the 3D Realms website (the archived copy from 1998 has one more shot compared to the current version, but still none of the following images). At the same time these screenshots are featured on the back of the box.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sadly the moon surface (or is it Movie Set?) screenshot showing the Devastator used against a Commander and an Enforcer was not archived.

On a side note, it seems that BraSoft had a habit of tweaking the brightness/contrast of screenshots, so the images above are most likely not in original quality.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

The protector drones over the truck are wall-aligned. :rolleyes:

• Ancient Blood God

We have a cropped version of the moon pic from the XBLA assets.

Posted Image

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 23 September 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

I swear, that reminds me of something I thought I read at one point about the whole thing being a police state and having Escape from New York influences, at one stage.

There is some of that sorta in the urban map designs, with giant walls and barriers blocking streets, as if they were closed in by military/police.

Is there any source beside LameDuke backing this? Makes a lot of sense for the first LA Meltdown episode, just by replacing aliens with soldiers and policemen. Especially the electric chair execution. Maybe it was too ambitious given the dumb AI.

• Ancient Blood God

Update on the girl in the Blood alpha, someone asked about it on discord and I remembered TinEye (uses different methods from Google Image search) still exists, so:

(NSFW) https://tineye.com/s...9077c2e4a20de3/

Apparently it's someone called Donna D'Errico who was a Playboy Playmate at least when the photo was taken (also from where the photo is, the same background can be seen in September 1995 centerfold).

User is offline   Sanek 

Obscure logo from old 3DR site. I don't remember seeing it before.

Attached Image: apogee.gif

User is offline   Sanek 

Why some gaming magazines and distributors used screenshots from not the registered version of Duke, well after the game's release? I remember seeing a couple of reviews of DN3D that used screenshots from beta-versions of the game.

They had only those screenshots around, most probably. I remember even seeing a review of Saturn version with mix of screenshots from beta and Atomic Edition. Annoying, but oh well...

View PostSanek, on 15 November 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

Why some gaming magazines and distributors used screenshots from not the registered version of Duke, well after the game's release? I remember seeing a couple of reviews of DN3D that used screenshots from beta-versions of the game.

Different publications had different standards regarding custom screenshots. Many of them received official screenshot right from the developer/publisher, and preferred them to images that the editorial staff could produce (especially considering that software for taking screenshots was not as advanced as it is today). Quite often a magazine would preview a game using official screenshots available at the time, and once the full version became available they would "recycle" some of the screenshots they already had in the review as well.

Also don't forget that many differences between some pre-release screenshots and images from the final release only become obvious after a careful study and comparison, which is something magazine reviewers and/or distributors might have not have time for.

• Ancient Blood God

Duke Nukem 3D ad insert from US Gold's 1995 release of Chronomaster.

Posted Image Posted Image

User is offline   NNC 

They really tried to advert the tripbomb back in those days. Even in the 1.0 demo, the weapon they advertised the most was the tripbomb. I thought it will be something special back then, only to realize it's totally useless.

They're not useless, they prevent fall damage.

Anyway, putting this here for people not on Discord, I think I've discovered an unused prototype boss in V0.99 of Duke Nukem 3D;

It was hiding right at the end of the GAME.CON file as DUMMYDUKE and BIGDUMMYDUKE. It is the only thing in there to have any reference to BOSS2. Incidentally, what would be called BOSS2 in the final game is the Cycloid Emperor, yeah, Overlord would become BOSS3. In this proto, BOSS3 is actually within the Cycloid's tile numbers, but at times and when he is killed, his picnum will move up into the Overlord's range.

DUMMYDUKE and his bigger brother appear green, the big one uses the sizeto command as opposed to sizeat, so he grows or shrinks to size, he dies in a single hit whereas the regular sized one does not. They walk around slowly, trying to find Duke and they also fall much more slowly than other actors. They both fire a chaingun hitscan. One has to wonder if the giant fembot in LameDuke's E1L6 wasn't just a gimmick for magazine shots and was, perhaps, once an idea, only with a giant Duke Nukem.

DUMMYDUKE and BIGDUMMYDUKE in the GAME.CON file;
Posted Image

It does not appear to be a DukeBot as those are present to an extent, they do not move and really do nothing beyond simply exist. Also, enemies attack DukeBots whereas they do not attack DUMMYDUKEs at all, the non-big DUMMYDUKE also adds one kill whereas the BIGDUMMYDUKE does not. Here is a DukeBot with an enemy attacking it;
Posted Image
Posted Image

As for the noted "BOSS3" there's no way to know what tiles were meant to be there, only that the Cycloid did end up here. It mostly works but he shoots a hitscan like DUMMYDUKE does instead of his barrage from the final game.
Posted Image

He will, however, turn into the Overlord at times and appears as one permanently when killed. Here he's alive but moving his picnum up to the Overlord's area;
Posted Image

Upon death;
Posted Image

Remember we don't know what these tiles were supposed to look like, it is likely coincidence that they happen to share numbers with the final versions of these bosses. It seems likely to me that they bosses were having their tile numbers moved, especially with the swap in the final game.

User is offline   Fox 

I presume the dummies would be clones, akin to the Nuclear Winter bosses.
define APLAYER 1405
define PLAYERONWATER 1420
define DUMMYDUKE 1425
define BIGDUMMYDUKE 1430

define BOSS1 2630
define BOSS1STAYPUT 2631
define BOSS1SHOOT 2660
define BOSS1LOB 2670
define BOSS1MISSLES 2680
define BOSS3 2710

define BOSS1STRENGTH            2000
define BOSS2SMALLDUKESTRENGTH   1000
define BOSS2LARGEDUKESTRENGTH   2000
define BOSS3STRENGTH            2000

User is offline   Fox 

View PostPerro Seco, on 06 October 2017 - 06:17 AM, said:

The protector drones over the truck are wall-aligned. :D

Good catch. Also all sprites are are too big.

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options