Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostHigh Treason, on 10 December 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

The fact that these sectors are drawn does make one wonder if the feature was really removed for performance or if, instead, it was dropped more because of how hard it would be to implement.
Very interesting. That might be the reason why the bathroom from E1L1 was changed from the original PC version. Reminds me of Tekwar, where mirrors are made with fake reflected rooms, where a sprite representing the player follows your movement.

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is online   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I don't think there ever was a Pig Cop (alive) in the PC version of Dark Side. Officially Pig Cops are mutated Humans, so I presume the corpse represents a Human being experimented on.

I never noticed the "reflection" in Hollywood Holocaust. I don't have access to a N64 console, and emulators don't reproduce that effect. However I'm going to throw a guess that it's a problem with all masked walls, not just mirrors (in Hollywood Holocaust it's not even a two-sided masked wall). Can you check that?

About the sectors behind the mirrors, according to Nick Dry interview with Nintendo Player, they weren't worth the hassle. The effect from the PC version is something which is very hard to port to another rendering engine. Based on the hidden sectors in Hollywood Holocaust, the direction they were aiming for was to have the mirrored area pre-built, as most games would have done. However the true 3D rendering engine wouldn't allow for overlapping sectors, meaning they would be forced to redesign many areas. Indeed not worth the hassle, and it would be better to put the effort on something else.

User is online   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

*not even a one-sided masked wall

User is online   High Treason 

So as suspected then, a bunch of hassle and a need to butcher the levels, although it seems they could have overlapping sectors to some extent at least, such as the vents;
Attached Image: capt0126.png
This would never be 'visible' to the mirror though, so who knows.

Otherwise the bleeding appear to exist on at least some maskwalls;

This one is much harder to see. It is possible that it affects more than I can find but the differences are so subtle as to be indistinguishable from the noise, that or the sectors behind them only draw on certain ones.
Here's the source video in case you want to play with the contrast yourself, the best place to focus on is where the shading changes in the vent;
Attached File  20181211144106.zip (6.5MB)
Number of downloads: 20

Confirmation this is a maskwall;
Attached Image: capt0125.png

I don't think Dark Side's pig was ever alive either, it's just odd that it's there because it's the only level in Episode 2 to have them in any capacity. I think TX once hinted that it was left over from whatever enemy it was prior to being the Pig Cop. My personal suspicion is that Dark Side was the space equivalent of LameDuke's E1L6 and was probably used to test everything out, but that's just pure speculation.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My Website - My FTP - Forum

You have got to let the rhythm move you, move you. You have got to let the rhythm move your body to the beat.

User is offline   Martin Howe 

HEADS UP: In case any of you haven' t bought World Tour, it's now only 2.99 GBP on the Steam store, they are having a sale with a massive discount. Don't know if this applies outside the UK or for how long, but why not check it out?

In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Website Facebook Flickr Twitter

User is online   Mark 

• Honored Donor

In the future please use this thread. ;) https://forums.duke4...le-free-thread/

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Martin Howe 

Mark, on 27 December 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

In the future please use this thread. ;) https://forums.duke4...le-free-thread/

Thanks Mark - hadn't noticed that thread; have reposted it there.

In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Website Facebook Flickr Twitter

Share this topic:

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options