Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

No problem, I imagine I would have the same problem trying to write in a language not my native one about a subject I'm not familiar with.

That's actually some really shrewd business moves. Or at least that's what I would say if they worked. Scamming people out of their assets so they can flip them in foreign countries, then repeat the process there is just so stereotypically evil corporation that I'm surprised it didn't work out better for them. Maybe it would've worked if he brought Wolfenstein or Doom over instead of making his own. Its a shame to hear that the Sango Fighter devs got conned, but that does explain why only the first game was translated to English.

This post has been edited by Morpheus Kitami: 23 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 23 September 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

Maybe it would've worked if he brought Wolfenstein or Doom over instead of making his own.
Id Software had already struck a deal with a Taiwanese publisher called Kingformation, who had previously been involved in translated pirate versions of games such as Dragon Quest. So the story goes, Id licensed several of their games to them in exchange for a low royalty rate of $1 a copy. This way Kingformation were able to obtain a bit of legitimacy and Id were able to make at least a little money off the Chinese market.

Supposedly Kingformation went on to publish Duke 3D in China, but I haven't been able to find any information on this release.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostThe Kins, on 24 September 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

Id Software had already struck a deal with a Taiwanese publisher called Kingformation, who had previously been involved in translated pirate versions of games such as Dragon Quest. So the story goes, Id licensed several of their games to them in exchange for a low royalty rate of $1 a copy. This way Kingformation were able to obtain a bit of legitimacy and Id were able to make at least a little money off the Chinese market.

As I heard something about this from a former Kingformation co. ltd. employee -- was a game designer/producer in that time, he's still actives these days but some times ago, I did tried to ask some info about that time but sadly he just cannot remember most of details about them...and I don't want to bother him about these things again --, those games from id software didn't really sold well, so they changed plan.

But still, they(Kingformation) tried.
I'm sure they have nothing to do with mainland China as I know, at least on early DooM & Quake time.

BTW, Kingformation did made a game strategy RPG game: Dragon Force(Guang Ming Zhan Shi 光明戰史), its gameplay was like Shining Force from Sega Genesis. They also put a lot of Dragon Quest/Shining Force elements in Dragon Force's background and main story, use its spell names(pure transliteration, they're all original Japanese spell name, but in Chinese), player character(s) designs and some other things.

In the game's secret battle that cannot visit by normal means(as it was designed for cheater, when it triggered, the game will show an error message and sent player to the studio of Kingformation...and it can be avoid by just go to city/town to find church then save the game and exit, them quit and restart), the player's force have to fight the game devs, and they are overpowered but still, the battle can be beaten if your characters are also overpowered too but it's only possible by doing memory hacking(Kingformation also published some memory scanner/debug tool for hacking...so how irony), I did tried that but...since no reward so beaten the level just pointless...

Well, the point is : A developer enemy unit named "Game Desinger", his battle sprite looks like he wears a white T-shirt, with DooM 2 logo on it. It was confirmed by the former employee : they had a lot of that T-shirts for put into the package boxes of DooM 2 they published, and most of employees also had the T-shirt as reward and wear the T-shirt too.

Proof of in-game footage, in 1:27 :

(I failed on this video because Game Designer's instant death attack just overruled my cheat program so my hero just dead and Game Over, sad. I did tried again but without recording and I got victory, so I know it's no reward, just sent player back to game)

View PostThe Kins, on 24 September 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

Supposedly Kingformation went on to publish Duke 3D in China, but I haven't been able to find any information on this release.

No, Kingformation never publish Duke3D, that was other company that I never heard, I did saw the ad of DN3D and I'm sure it was from other company(in a game magazine), but I don't have the ad anymore so I cannot show the prove, and if Kingformation did had publish Duke3D, then I would know and found some info about that I also found nothing......but then again, Accend Inc. was published original RotT but still not many remembered this. :unsure:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 26 September 2019 - 07:09 AM

User is online   Sanek 

2001 Spanish game called Theta

https://www.old-games.ru/games/pc/thera/screenshots/6325_5686c2bb2dfdd.png

This floor texture looks VERY familiar. :P

User is online   Sanek 

Found it on ebay:
Spoiler

Don't remember seeing this cover art posted before. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Share this topic:

• 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options