Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

I like the blatant Korg O1R noises in the Acid song anyway, most distinct is the industrial clang. I'm convinced there's not a single song made between 1991 and 1999 that doesn't feature that box. Even games had it, like NFS3 and Sonic Adventure. Fairly sure there was a Duke game with it in, probably one of the console games, but can't remember which one and now it's bugging me.

Misc knowledge so I don't go too far off-topic: Teleporters can be locked, which is documented in a few places. Water teleporters can also be locked, but only going down, which I discovered when I wanted water to rise up and not be submersible until after the rising. Quite surprised I haven't seen this done more often.

While probably not useful, GENERICPOLE is subject to multiplayer only palette rules like switches are, as is MUSICANDSFX. The last tile of the rotating red beacon light is tied to the destructible cameras flag, as it used to be CAMERAPOLE.

User is offline   ck3D 

I just started watching this, in general I'm quite fascinated by the amount of typos in Duke or Build code ('devistator', 'convair belt' etc.) that sometimes make it onto the sprite art (e.g.. 'John McClain' instead of 'John McClane' in the episode 4 tile, although I like that one because of how it allows for an easy transformation into 'John McCain'). But I guess the add-ons had their own respective shares of typos too, the one at 1:34 got me good (pretty sure I'm reading 'force shield genaretor'):

The pistol ammo pickup is a Beretta 92 magazine.

Attached Image: 0040.png

Attached Image: duke mag.jpg

User is offline   Ghostwar 

Been awhile since I've added the music sprite into a map... can't remember... is there a way to contain the sound within the sector were it is placed?
Crossing red sectors walls would be fine but I don't want the sound to pass through white sector walls into separate sectors even if the sound radius is wide enough.

User is offline   ck3D 

Ghostwar, on 16 April 2024 - 09:28 AM, said:

Been awhile since I've added the music sprite into a map... can't remember... is there a way to contain the sound within the sector were it is placed?
Crossing red sectors walls would be fine but I don't want the sound to pass through white sector walls into separate sectors even if the sound radius is wide enough.

I don't think achieving what you're describing is possible without new code, but just in case some of the following helps or is compatible with what you're making:

- ambient sounds are responsive to ACTIVATORLOCKED (and the sector doesn't have to have another function to warrant it), that means they can be flexed around the progressive reveal(s) of this or that part of a level, however once 'unlocked' they won't stop playing even if triggered to 'lock' again (edit - according to High Treason, that limitation reportedly is modern port behavior);

- source of the sound is tied to the exact coords of the MUSIC&SFX sprite also as far as Z/height is concerned, so if the conditions allow the due degree of control you can place them on tiny sectors with SE31's and GPSPEED with the value of your choice for more or less pronounced fade in/out effects with every new trigger, and now that can be activated/deactivated at one's liking.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 16 April 2024 - 01:15 PM

ck3D, on 16 April 2024 - 10:56 AM, said:

I don't think achieving what you're describing is possible without new code, but just in case some of the following helps or is compatible with what you're making:

- ambient sounds are responsive to ACTIVATORLOCKED (and the sector doesn't have to have another function to warrant it), that means they can be flexed around the progressive reveal(s) of this or that part of a level, however once 'unlocked' they won't stop playing even if triggered to lock' again;

- source of the sound is tied to the exact coords of the MUSIC&SFX sprite also as far as Z/height is concerned, so if the conditions allow the due degree of control you can place them on tiny sectors with SE31's and GPSPEED with the value of your choice for more or less pronounced fade in/out effects with every new trigger, and now that can be activated/deactivated at one's liking.

That is interesting...

I've also explored the idea of placing several music sprites in an area and then reducing the radius of the sound so that it does not propagate through the walls, but what tends to happen when the sound circles overlap each other is the sound stops when Duke transitions into the radius of an adjacent sound circle.

Meanwhile, only using one music sprite is also problematic... for instance, to hear the gurgling water of a fountain in a rectangular room at the furthest ends of the room requires the radius to be set such that the circle reaches to those walls. But then the circle naturally extends outside of the rectangular room along the nearest walls. And if there are any adjacent rooms that the circle reaches into then the sound can be heard in there.

I'm surprised no one has added some new code to fix that yet considering how many maps have sectors that are either laterally close to each other or vertically close to each other.

User is offline   ck3D 

Yes the 'golden rule' of ambient sounds is you can't have multiple instances of the same one overlapping (but some like BUBBLE_AMBIANCE have duplicates). That's in part visible on a 2D plane in 2D mode with the circles but I'm pretty sure Z also counts as distance and there is just no visualization for that, but keeping track of the height values (the circles really are spheres). I'd need to test to confirm that, it's possible Z doesn't in fact matter in this specific department (interferences), but it does for sure as a raw sound source.

I've edited my former post (while I still could) to specify that apparently the limitation on ACTIVATORLOCKEDs is modern port behavior, at least according to High Treason. Been a while since I last used DOS Build myself to test. EDIT - according to Aleks now, you CAN in fact turn the sound off that way in EDuke too, but only if the player is situated outside of the sound radius when they trigger that. So strange.

Not going to be very useful but sometimes you want sector over sector layers to place just the sound sources in, that you can then manipulate independently from the main level layer and the sounds will still be heard there depending on what you dictate 'under the hood'. So if anything, that's one forte of the behavior that you describe as problematic - it allows for a possible complete disconnection of the playable map from its soundscape, if that's someone's thing.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 16 April 2024 - 01:47 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

My apologies for occasionally turning this thread into ck's crackpot theories, but it's possible I might have found the original inspiration for Billy Boy's Clearwater (although I haven't checked if the respective construction timelines indeed align yet). Basically his level all the way down to certain specific effects in machine form. All the cooler if coincidental.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 16 April 2024 - 06:04 PM

User is offline   NNC 

With OJ Simpson dead, I - for some reason - just wanted to check the Duke Nukem easter eggs of his trial if they have any merit or they are just some half-baked jokes. I knew the story, but never had any interest in it, neither in the Duke easter eggs. Particularly the car chase. Boy, THAT FUCKING SHOT IS FUCKING REAL. It was straight copied from the CNN live version. And that Bronco scene was one of the most watched TV program in the USA. Crazy stuff.

Attached Image: bronco.png

This post has been edited by NNC: 17 April 2024 - 10:53 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Another weird stuff... XXX Stacy has that Unabomber secret apartment with yet another famous copypaste graphics.

I'm wondering if the "Funny Boner" Comedy Club is just a weird little wordplay, because it sounds similar to "Unabomber".

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 19 May 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

the AMC portion of AMC Pleaser is not part of the original title.

http://www.amcwebfor...hp?topic=8034.0

starting around page 3 is where a certain person starts having "issues" with the title.

AMC no longer exists :( Can you tell us about it?

Attached Image: images (4).jpeg

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostF!re-Fly, on 30 July 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

I found my version of the game, with BETA images of the box and the booklet.

Posted Image

The spanish translation is hilarious! In the part that says "The odds are a million-to-one" it says: "exterminate the odds is your mission" aparently the translator though the "Odds" was how the enemies were called.

Also "murky bodies of water" translates as: "bodies trapped in life" 😁

User is offline   NY00123 

A few bits about breaking demo sequences:

- Changing Shadow Warrior DOS v1.2's "AutoAim" setting was found to break demos recorded beforehand. My find dates back to April 2020, while I was checking demo compatibility in VoidSW. Truly, version 1.2 didn't come with its own bundled demos, but that's still a thing I can bring up.

- Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition v1.5 has its own variation, as I've just realized. You can break demos by changing any of the values WeaponChoice0...WeaponChoice9. I simply tried reversing their order, and DEMO1.DMO broke. Although Duke didn't make direct use of the (differing) choice of weapon, that seemed to be sufficient for impacting random number generation.

User is offline   JacketAU 

I want to dig up sold quirky old Duke Nukem 1 and 2 facts now, do you think the evercade ports would be a good comparison to start with to the original versions? this topic is so amazing, it's a real gold mine of information, thank you so much for all your input everyone.

User is offline   ck3D 

It's commonly recognized the DUF BEER blimp in Stadium is a Simpsons reference, but I just remembered about this specific episode: https://simpsons.fan...s_Last_Gleaming

Episode air date I think aligns with the Duke 3D dev cycle and so it's very probable that as a late addition to Stadium, the blimp (or at least its final DUF BEER branding) implies it's supposed to be Sideshow Bob's precisely.

EDIT - I had underestimated how popular the trope is throughout the show, so I'd mitigate that impression now since a Duff blimp can be seen in two more pre-Duke 3D release Simpsons episodes: https://simpsons.fan...wiki/Duff_Blimp still, the one from that episode seems most prominent/influential and contemporary (the former episodes featuring a Duff Beer blimp being as old as from 1992 and 1993; Sideshow Bob one is from late 1995) and also resonates with the nuclear weapon theming.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 17 June 2024 - 02:42 AM

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options