Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postrazgriz, on 07 August 2019 - 02:25 AM, said:

I can't create a save file.

Any help?

I followed the instructions via readme and I'm unable to save my progress.

Every once in a while when we get an influx of new players, we get a report like this. It seems to be an Eduke32 thing (not mod specific) that can manifest depending on where you install. I made a thread about it in 2018:

https://forums.duke4...-save-the-game/

I don't know the root cause, but I have 3 suggestions:

1) Post your eduke32.log file here (use spoiler tags around the text because it will be long)
2) Try moving your install folder to your desktop
3) Try using the most recent version of EDuke32 from here: https://dukeworld.co...ke32/synthesis/

View Postrazgriz, on 07 August 2019 - 02:25 AM, said:

I can't create a save file.

Any help?

I followed the instructions via readme and I'm unable to save my progress.

Are you using the eduke32 provided in the mod?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

It is done. I know I said I would have this months ago, but unfortunately, while I was still playing, I hit serious burnout. I had been playing Duke Nukem for months beforehand, half of which was in anticipation of the February/March release of Alien Armageddon itself. Not only that, but I had burned out so much that I didn't even want to touch any FPS for a while. And that's the genre nearest and dearest to my heart.

What can I say? I love Duke Nukem 3D. I dunno what you want from me.

Wall of text ahead:

Spoiler

Posted Image

User is offline   razgriz 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 07 August 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

Are you using the eduke32 provided in the mod?

Yes I am.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postrazgriz, on 07 August 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

Yes I am.

Did you try the things I suggested?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 August 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

Bug List (Arranged in order by what I consider most to least serious):
[spoiler][list]

[*]Music order is screwed up in some places (Episode 4's intro cutscene plays stalker; DC's music goes completely out of order starting with Top Secret)

Some of these bugs have been fixed since the last public release. Some I fixed today after reading your post. Some things are still broken. When I say something has been "fixed", I mean it's fixed in the development build which you don't have. Here's some info.

The music order I'm pretty sure is fixed, but I'll give it another look.

[*]Alternate Sentry Drone is immune to the "No Randomizations" toggle

The toggle is really for no NEW enemies, not for turning off any kind of variation on old enemies. But I see your point.

[*]Autoaim is broken except when it isn't

Probably still an issue. autoaim has to be turned off whenever the player is using a scope (to avoid hilariously stupid results) and in certain other situations, and then switched back to its original setting on the fly. What could go wrong? (plenty) I don't use autoaim and honestly I kind of want to remove it from the game entirely, but it's in the menu which can't be modified.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

[*]In Toxic Dump, I've consistently been unable to be reshrunk in the switch room. I do toggle steroids immediately as I enter the room, but the "unshrinkable" effect lingers after the steroids end. It resets on loading the next level though.

Weird. AA doesn't mess with the steroids effect or do anything that should stop the player from getting shrunk. However, I added a few checks that might help with this; hasn't been tested yet.

[*]Terminators (Dukeinators?) will march towards a holoduke but their projectiles will always go toward the player. Likewise, the swat pigs will shoot the holoduke, but charge the player. There are probably some other enemies like this.

I worked on this today and the Holoduke issues are mostly fixed. I haven't checked for all enemies.

[*]In Going Postal with randomization on, the big assault wave tends to break with the new enemy types somehow getting stuck in the walls

I have no idea what that's about.

[*]Right-facing shrinkers (as sometimes dropped by the red enforcer variant) cannot be picked up, but left-facing ones (standard sprite) can.

Fixed.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

[*]New Invasion ending screen still borked.

Still displays fine for me. Just to be clear: You mean that the screen is too zoomed and some of the text is cut off, right?

[*]Kill counter is broken

It's never really been a goal of mine to have a correct one. Still annoying, though. I'm pretty sure that killing enemies always counts as kills on the counter. So, I guess you mean that there is more in the total at the end than there were actual enemies in the map. This raises a question: if an enemy respawn never gets a change to spawn, should it count towards the total?

[*]Are the aliens supposed to target the parasite-zombie-alien things in the DC campaign?

Yes. Zombies are not allied with the aliens, they are feral.

[*]Assault rifle's iron sights don't line up with where the bullets actually go

That's very fixed now. We have an entirely new weapon models and new iron sites model.

[*]Swapping characters in Carribbean tends to trigger the sector overlap warp glitch (Alien Remains and Wavemistress being the most common) I dunno what can be done but is worth noting since it makes swapping characters impossible. Sometimes the AI partner will warp through and start killing things, and waking them up, and probably dying where you can't reach them unless you fancy sequence breaking.

Yeah, fucking SOS bugs. This might be fixed in recent snapshots with all the changes.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

[*]Returning from New Invasion's secret level with the upgrades doesn't have them apply until the next level (they fire at their normal rates). The Devastator also began firing Railgun rounds until the 8 key was pressed several times

This might be fixed now. I added an additional weapon settings check for when a level reloads.

[*]When switching characters while night-vision is active, the "heat sensor" part remains active, but the green palette/brightness change does not

Fixed.

[*]AI partner lacks self-preservation and tends to get as close to enemies as possible, making explosive weapons or especially Shelly's incendiary weapons usually greatly harm or outright kill the bot

This won't be much of an issue now. There is more friendly fire protection.

[*]Encountered a weird bug where Shelly refused to pee (what a weird sentence) even though it had been several levels since the previous time. No I wasn't at full health.

It could be the angle you were facing. Since she has to turn around, I make it check the angle to the toilet. If the sprite is placed oddly, that would would cause an issue.

[*]The railgun enemies initialize as tiny. Not only are they hard to spot if they're behind a short wall, they leave behind a tiny corpse. This is even when killed at full-size.

Fixed.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

[*]Went to fight Proton solo (left the partner in the main hall) just to try my hand at fighting him unassisted; noticed he seemed to be taking explosive damage (in his 2nd form) from something that wasn't me. Are his own rockets detonating against himself somehow?

He was probably taking damage from the missile turrets that he plants sometimes, because the missiles were hitting him by accident.

[*]Sometimes when killed, pressing "use" to reload doesn't work. It just spawns gibs. For some reason?

No idea. Probably trying to spawn you outside the play area. Did it happen after the zombie secret level?

[*]Collecting a set of rolly turrets while one is deployed, and then picking that up, can net you more than 50.

Fixed.

[*]Jumping in the air and doing a forward kick under a low ceiling lets you fly. This one's actually kinda cool.

I'm pretty sure that's an eduke32 revision related thing that has been addressed with newer snapshots.

[*]Pistol laser dot has a rare tendency to slide all over the screen for absolutely no discernible reason

The laser pistol dot is no longer on by default and I don't use it anymore. So I consider it an optional feature that no one will use.

[*]Floor and ceiling textures within the railgun's scoped view break at certain angles

Engine thingy I can't do anything about.

[*]Pig head gib is not upscaled

Meh. Eventually it will all be upscaled, not the highest priority.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

[*]When shrinking a pig cop, its sprite is replaced with a tank for a few frames

Fixed.

[*]In Shop-N-Bag, the aisle number walls function as vending machines

They must be using the cola machine texture, but only part of it, and my code treats them as vending machines. I'll have to detect that somehow. Probably not fixed (but hard to say, lots of things have changed)

[*]After firing, the rolly turrets very often remain stuck in their firing frame

Fixed.

I've read the rest, but for the most part they aren't bugs.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 August 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

The toggle is really for no NEW enemies, not for turning off any kind of variation on old enemies. But I see your point.

Well the red enforcers never showed up, so I assumed it was a complete disablement.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 August 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

Probably still an issue. autoaim has to be turned off whenever the player is using a scope (to avoid hilariously stupid results) and in certain other situations, and then switched back to its original setting on the fly. What could go wrong? (plenty) I don't use autoaim and honestly I kind of want to remove it from the game entirely, but it's in the menu which can't be modified.

I sort of had a feeling, but the reason I play with it on is because of the sometimes-wonky hitboxes that won't register a hit even if you point right at it. Most notably the slimers, which are already next to impossible to hit even with autoaim on.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 August 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

I have no idea what that's about.

I don't either but it's happened every time I've played that level with randomizations on. 3 for 3.

Still displays fine for me. Just to be clear: You mean that the screen is too zoomed and some of the text is cut off, right?

Yes. I have no idea why it doesn't work on my end or others'.

So, I guess you mean that there is more in the total at the end than there were actual enemies in the map. This raises a question: if an enemy respawn never gets a change to spawn, should it count towards the total?

Yes to the former, and I'd argue no to the latter. If it never spawns, it shouldn't count because it can't be killed.

Yes. Zombies are not allied with the aliens, they are feral.

Just to clarify, I am speaking specifically of the ones with the red tentacle facehugger head things. Not the undead ones. If that's still the case, that's fine, but I wanted to specifically make sure I was clear on which variety I was talking about (the ones that pose as NPCs).

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 August 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

No idea. Probably trying to spawn you outside the play area. Did it happen after the zombie secret level?

No. It happened on several occasions, actually. And I wasn't near walls or anything. I think I was up against battlelords, if that's of any help. The last one I definitely was; can't remember for certain with the others.

EDIT: Okay I remember for certain that the one before the last one also involved Battlelords.

EDIT 2: Actually I think I also remember one where I was up against one of the commando pigs. ...Whatever they're called.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 07 August 2019 - 11:55 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I did play with the upscaled sprites (as a side-note, the only provided batch is for 64-bit eDuke and not 32-bit. It's easy enough to change, but not everyone knows how batch files work). I was honestly kinda amazed how well they fit. I honestly stopped noticing them until I would turn on a different Duke mod without them. And that's how you know they're quality: they fit in without being obvious, until they're gone.

Thank you. The current version has an issue with fullbrights being incorrectly applied, this has already been fixed and should be in the next release. I've also upscaled the pigcop head gib.

Got it running by Run As Administrator.

I could use some High Def girlie posters like in the HRP.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postrazgriz, on 11 August 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

Got it running by Run As Administrator.

So you can save games now?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 07 August 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

Posted Image

Awesome! Can't wait for new content.

I hope Forge will make an underwater area with bubbles instead of scuba, just so I can complain.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMike Norvak, on 12 August 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

I hope Forge will make an underwater area with bubbles instead of scuba, just so I can complain.

Uh, you do realize that there's an entire level in AA made by Jblade that's just like that, right?

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 August 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

Uh, you do realize that there's an entire level in AA made by Jblade that's just like that, right?

Yes. I complained a lot.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMike Norvak, on 12 August 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

I did, but it had to be thrown in the trash because bots don't know how to get out

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 August 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

So you can save games now?

Yes.

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 12 August 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

I did, but it had to be thrown in the trash because bots don't know how to get out

Well it seems I won't have something to moan about then.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMike Norvak, on 12 August 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

Well it seems I won't have something to moan about then.

Lets not jump to conclusions. This is me we're talking about. I'm pretty creative when it comes to making maps shitty.

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 12 August 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

Lets not jump to conclusions. This is me we're talking about. I'm pretty creative when it comes to making maps shitty.

"Forge" and "shitty maps" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

User is offline   Forge 

just for that I slap you with a pic of some unused underwater section

Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's not thrown in the trash, it's part of a backlog of stuff that hasn't been integrated into the game yet. Now that polymost is more optimized, I'm looking forward to trying a big map like that full of bot paths.

User is offline   Forge 

'trash' is a euphemism for worthless and unusable - which it was at the time of completion.
(& the bots still don't know how to do water)

Now it is revealed that this bit of water is part of a larger world with much more potential to be "shitty" than simply a few air bubbles in a puddle. Thanks Dan. :dukecigar:

(I'm joking around - i have to post this because Dan hits me behind closed doors)

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Dunno why but that underwater shot reminds me sharply of the moat from the first/second level of the original WGRealms.

User is offline   Forge 

okay.
I posted this about 11 months ago. same thing, just no lighting effects or texturing

Posted Image

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 13 August 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

just for that I slap you with a pic of some unused underwater section

Posted Image
looks nice, there arn't any hidden torture chambers there are there?

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options