Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Steveeeie 

OK ..Here is the fan.

Animated and broken models included.

I wish there was something we could do about the top of the vent, it looks pooped from underneath and is bright as hell

Grab it while its hot. :P

// Fan Sprite (407)
model "highres/sprites/props/0407_fansprite.md3" {
   scale 1.56 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0407_fansprite.png" specpower 1.2 specfactor 1.8}
   specular { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0407_fansprite_s.png" }
   normal {	file "highres/sprites/props/0407_fansprite_n.png" }
   anim { frame0 "Frame00" frame1 "Frame14" fps 24 flags 0 }
   frame { name "Frame00" tile0 407 tile1 410 }
}

// Fan Sprite Broke (411)
model "highres/sprites/props/0411_fanspritebroke.md3" {
   scale 1.56 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0407_fansprite.png" specpower 1.2 specfactor 1.8}
   specular { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0407_fansprite_s.png" }
   normal {	file "highres/sprites/props/0407_fansprite_n.png" }
   frame { name "Frame00" tile 411 }
}

Edit: Lightened Maps

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: preview2.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 24 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostSpiker, on 19 February 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

It doesn't matter which prop you choose to make because your work is always brilliant :D

View PostTea Monster, on 22 February 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I've been away from the forums busy on another project, but I'd just like to say how great it is to have someone like you working on the HRP. Thanks so much for your time and contributions :D

Thank you both very much for the support :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It seems darker than the original sprite, but otherwise, I'm a fan.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostThe Big Cheese, on 24 February 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

It seems darker than the original sprite, but otherwise, I'm a fan.

The down vote is for the poor pun. Nothing else.

Anybody tried out the fan in game yet? :P

User is offline   TON 

Wow the model includes fan belt animation and rear details
Awesome model

Posted Image

This post has been edited by TON: 25 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Does it have a matching high-res sprite? The sprite is important because the fan is often used as maskwalls and on the floor/ceiling/walls where only a 2D sprite is displayed.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSteveeeie, on 25 February 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Anybody tried out the fan in game yet? :P
Very good.
Animation nitpicking:
- both the sprite and old model appear to rotate the other way round
- the rotation should be faster
- the rotation seems to stutter once or twice per second

View PostThe Big Cheese, on 25 February 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Does it have a matching high-res sprite? The sprite is important because the fan is often used as maskwalls and on the floor/ceiling/walls where only a 2D sprite is displayed.
+1, example attached.
The frame's colour might be too bright. Current thickness can reveal secrets too easy like in E3L1.

[Edit] No silent updates of attachments, please, or we might end up with outdated revisions in the repo.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 407-new.jpg
  • Attached Image: 407-old.jpg

This post has been edited by LeoD: 25 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Can you just maphack notmd that particular one? I feel like even if we got a matching sprite version, we would want that particular fan to stay a sprite to match the ones next to it.

User is offline   Spiker 

I've noticed that some of Steveeeie's models are missing from the repo. There's no C9 canister, no rubber can and the hydrant, health bottle. Not sure about the others, but it's high time to upload them. Oh, and the fan, but this one is new.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 26 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSpiker, on 26 February 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

I've noticed that some of Steveeeie's models are missing from the repo. There's no C9 canister, no rubber can and the hydrant, health bottle. Not sure about the others, but it's high time to upload them. Oh, and the fan, but this one is new.
The rubber can files haven't been published IIRC and the ashtray on top is, well, debatable. The C9 has no explosion animation. The hydrant has no matching broken model. I'm not completely happy with both colour and shape of the new health bottle, but, OK, I think I'll add it.
Don't expect me to upload new models right away. I usually wait at least a week or so to see if there are further updates or improvements. Quite some half-finished stuff has made it into actual HRP release versions already.

Btw., thanks for contributing to the HRP again. Please consider matching the colour of 4264_d (which I definitely like) to your 4265/6_d4 textures.

User is offline   Spiker 

The color has been matched :P About the C9 I think the explosion animation is not necessary, it would be hard to notice anyway and very difficult to make probably.The new fan is awesome by the way.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 26 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Idea: commit both the non-ashtray and ashtray version. We can define the ashtray one to an arbitrary high palette and maphack it in where it makes sense, like E1L1.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Great idea plagman, yet I feel as if it is way too little. I'd say take it to the next level and spice up as much as possible. If it's worth the effort for an ashtray, I'm sure we can find a ton of worthy additions to map hack in. Or to play my own devils advocate, leave this stuff out of the HRP and maybe make an official add on pack. I know official texture sets have been brought up before, this could be an extension on that idea...

This post has been edited by Drek: 26 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostPlagman, on 25 February 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Can you just maphack notmd that particular one? I feel like even if we got a matching sprite version, we would want that particular fan to stay a sprite to match the ones next to it.
I can.

View PostSpiker, on 26 February 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

About the C9 I think the explosion animation is not necessary, it would be hard to notice anyway and very difficult to make probably.
I disagree. The lowres explosion is very obvious and doesn't look good in an all-highres environment.

View PostPlagman, on 26 February 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Idea: commit both the non-ashtray and ashtray version. We can define the ashtray one to an arbitrary high palette and maphack it in where it makes sense, like E1L1.
Is that possible with maphacks?

Not presently; I can add a quick maphack token to override the palette of a given sprite, does that sound good?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostPlagman, on 26 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Not presently; I can add a quick maphack token to override the palette of a given sprite, does that sound good?
Yes. Would that affect only the display, or the gameplay, too?

While you're at it, I have two more ideas which might help to make (user) maps look better HRP-wise:
- a flip token to flip highres wall textures vertically/horizontally
- a lowres token, similar to notmd, to use the ART instead of the highres tile. (Can make the Sanek joke work better in It Lives, for example.)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 26 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Be carefull about colours. I noticed that someone had altered one of his health bottles to better match the colour of the sprite. The bottle wound up being a bone white. It made the model look very strange and weird. Although the pale grey looks less like the 'original', it looks far better in game.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostTea Monster, on 26 February 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Be carefull about colours. I noticed that someone had altered one of his health bottles to better match the colour of the sprite. The bottle wound up being a bone white. It made the model look very strange and weird. Although the pale grey looks less like the 'original', it looks far better in game.

Sometimes sacrifices must be made for everything to look nice. I personally don't mind minor changes like a light grey health bottle.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 27 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Aww man, the below will sound a bit dick-ish, not really intentional, but I am mildly fed up.

View PostLeoD, on 26 February 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

The rubber can files haven't been published IIRC

Yeah, there is no final version of this released or on my machine.

I can do that if its possible and if people want it that bad.

and the ashtray on top is, well, debatable.

I think you need to get over it, so far none of the md3's that I have replaced have been anything like their sprite counterpart, I think you are too hung up on the current models.

The C9 has no explosion animation.

The hydrant has no matching broken model.

Yeah, no use adding these just yet.

The hydrant wont be a problem, I'm not going to have it shattered though, it will be broken into logical pieces... the current one breaks like its made of bone china or something.

I'm expecting the barrels to be a bit tougher so they may not come out for a little while.

I'm not completely happy with both colour and shape of the new health bottle, but, OK, I think I'll add it.

So you were just going to just omit them without saying anything?! :P I don't get how you get the final say based on your own personal tastes, nobody else was dissatisfied.

Be carefull about colours. I noticed that someone had altered one of his health bottles to better match the colour of the sprite.
The bottle wound up being a bone white. It made the model look very strange and weird. Although the pale grey looks less like the 'original', it looks far better in game.

Yeah, I think the recolour you are talking about is one I actually made myself for fox, it turned out pretty weird, and was exactly the reason I didn't make it white on the main file,
also the sprite isn't exactly brilliant white anyway :D .

I would prefer people didn't re-colour my work, if it needs to be re-coloured let me know.

Yeah, I think Tea Monster was talking about the Duke64 version you made a few pages earlier; that's where the confusion came from.

To summarize, since someone was wondering why he wasn't seeing these new models in the HRP:

- Trashcan isn't released yet.
- Hydrant and C9 aren't fully wrapped-up, but almost complete.
- Health bottle hasn't been added yet.

LeoD, what are your concerns about the health bottle exactly? I thought it looked marvelous. Steveeeie raises a good point in that we've seen the previous model replacements for so long we might have some bias towards them, so we need to be careful about that.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Be carefull about colours.
This.

View PostReaperMan, on 27 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Sometimes sacrifices must be made for everything to look nice. I personally don't mind minor changes like a light grey health bottle.
I do. Why make a sacrifice if it could be changed easily?
No one cares about the reddish tint of the original game. Well, I'll give up on that I think.
Btw, still no HUD render for the bottle.

View PostSteveeeie, on 27 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I can do that if its possible and if people want it that bad.
Go ahead.

I think you need to get over it, so far none of the md3's that I have replaced have been anything like their sprite counterpart, I think you are too hung up on the current models.
Plain wrong for the exit sign at least. I'm hung up on Duke3D.

So you were just going to just omit them without saying anything?! :P I don't get how you get the final say based on your own personal tastes, nobody else was dissatisfied.
Indeed, you don't get it. No one has the final say currently. Parkar retired, NightFright saying nothing for months. So if I didn't add your stuff ASAP, one of the other guys with write access could have done so as well, btw, and anyone can easily have a look what's going on or not in the repo. I'm not the HRP maintainer. I usually just clean up after others to keep things consistent. I know I'm just a conservative old fart, a player who has waded through shitloads of maps recently while working on the user map maphacks. Your bottle enabled for more than two weeks. The greyish bottle has some generic modern shooter tint. Doesn't fit anywhere IMO. Judging by the DEF snippets you provide I wonder if you play-test at all. Most of them (all but one IIRC) don't work as intended without correction.
I don't need to suppress stuff since I have my own HRP gaming environment anyway.

View PostPlagman, on 27 February 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

- Health bottle hasn't been added yet.
Added yesterday.

LeoD, what are your concerns about the health bottle exactly? I thought it looked marvelous.
Besides the tint and the metallish surface the base is too wide which might look bad when placed on sloped surfaces.

Steveeeie raises a good point in that we've seen the previous model replacements for so long we might have some bias towards them, so we need to be careful about that.
I know everyone is excited and jumping up and down because of the technical quality of the new models. But are they Dukish?

Not all HRP Polymerisations have been a progress in terms of actually looking better so far. Well, instead of scaring off new contributors I'll try to be silent from now on in this thread. If you want stuff added on the very day of posting, someone else needs to do that, and I might clean up afterwards every now and then. Or not.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Just interjecting as a moderator. Discussion about HRP assets in development is in a bit of a rough patch. As a project, we have the difficult task of balancing our adherence to quality goals with the reality that all of our artists are volunteering based on their own time and interest.

This IRC conversation may offer some insights.

Spoiler

The constructive criticism being offered is valid. I just hope to avoid misinterpretation of honest and legitimate criticism as having negative emotions and attitudes attached. Textual communication leaves gaps in subtext which sometimes are assumed to mean the worst.

If needed, I or we could write up some guidelines for how we want to balance accuracy to the original art with taking advantage of the extra artistic license offered to us by true color textures and the third dimension. My site has some narrow guidelines about the procedure of submitting art that could be used as a starting point.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostLeoD, on 27 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I know everyone is excited and jumping up and down because of the technical quality of the new models. But are they Dukish?

Yes. And I am the kind of guy who thinks HRP looks totally off from the original.

Agreed.

Steveeeie, any chance you can make an alternate skin for the health bottle where the sticker is straight and there's no +30 caption? msleeper raised a good point in that some mods change how health works, so the model would end up being off.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPlagman, on 27 February 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

Agreed.

Steveeeie, any chance you can make an alternate skin for the health bottle where the sticker is straight and there's no +30 caption? msleeper raised a good point in that some mods change how health works, so the model would end up being off.

(1:53:37 PM) Lunick: Although, the +30 would be excessive if the HRP was used with mods that changed that
(1:55:01 PM) Hendricks266: plagman: sticker gotta go
(1:55:34 PM) Lunick: There was a sticker on the original though?
(1:55:37 PM) plagman: there's a sticker on the sprite
(1:55:46 PM) Hendricks266: "+30" gotta go
(1:56:06 PM) plagman: does it?
(1:56:12 PM) plagman: I don't see a problem with it personally
(1:57:15 PM) Hendricks266: +30 what? Does Duke's world really represent health in numbers?
(1:57:32 PM) plagman: well, duke3d does
(1:57:40 PM) plagman: it's a pretty tongue-in-cheek game :P
(1:57:56 PM) msleeper: well back in the day most games had health as numbers
(1:58:25 PM) msleeper: i never interpreted the bottle as having the actual value printed on it, but then again it was like 20px right
(1:58:26 PM) plagman: I mean I'm not offended by an in-game item making a small reference to that
(1:58:32 PM) plagman: 20?
(1:58:35 PM) plagman: I think you're generous
(1:58:38 PM) msleeper: haha prolly
(1:58:49 PM) Lunick: Ok
(1:58:52 PM) msleeper: the only problem i have with having it say +30 is, what if that value gets changed
(1:58:54 PM) msleeper: in code or whatever

Ignored, again D;

• Weaponized Autism

A note about the sticker from an artistic perspective: while variations like crookedness help to add realism, they have a side-effect that outweighs the benefits. The same imperfection shows up on every instance of the model; it's too common. An similar example is if a texture has too distinct a feature, when you tile it, it will stand out and look odd.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I don't have a problem with the ashtray on the rubber can. You don't see the top of the can as a 2D sprite anyway. Even if it does stick up and is visible from that view, I don't see a big deal about it. It's good to see more detail like this.

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

We get a perspective view of the top.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostHendricks266, on 27 February 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

We get a perspective view of the top.

I clearly see an ash tray.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options