Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Set myself an hour and a half for the high poly for this one.

I'm not as overly happy with how this one turned out, might re-visit it tomorrow night.

Its not as short as the original, but I struggled to make this any shorter without making it cartoony.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: hydrant1.jpg

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 28 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Interesting, that's pettry cool. In case you don't know, the 0.99 had it from a different angle, if it helps:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostFox, on 28 January 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Interesting, that's pettry cool. In case you don't know, the 0.99 had it from a different angle, if it helps:
Posted Image

Thanks Fox,

There is something weird about the original sprite.. I love the colouring of it, but the valves look too big and seem out of proportion to the main body :P

I always thought it looked oddly scaled. You should get some nice weathering on it. Are you planning on doing the water too?

Also, looking forward to your take on the extinguisher.

View PostSteveeeie, on 28 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Set myself an hour and a half for the high poly for this one.

I'm not as overly happy with how this one turned out, might re-visit it tomorrow night.

Its not as short as the original, but I struggled to make this any shorter without making it cartoony.

Hydrant Files

Will post up a broken variant in the coming days :P

I have also attached a pic of the same thing in UDK.

// Hydrant (981)
model "highres/sprites/props/0981_hydrant.md3" {
   scale 0.75 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0981_hydrant.png" specpower 5 specfactor 1  }
   normal {	file "highres/sprites/props/0981_hydrant_n.png" }
   specular { file "highres/sprites/props/0981_hydrant_s.png" }
   frame { name "idle" tile 981 }
}

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: screen.jpg
  • Attached Image: hydrantUDK.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 30 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Does the lighting look in line with what you had in mind compared to when you look at it in your editor? If you have any questions about the lighting model, parallax mapping stuff, etc, don't hesitate to ask.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I bet Steveeeie could model a nice slimer egg. If not, he's doing great with just the props he's modeled so far! :P

View PostSteveeeie, on 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

// Hydrant (981)
   scale 0.75 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0981_hydrant.png" specpower 5 specfactor 1  }
}

0.75 scale seems a little too large to me. I turned the models off in-game and it's way bigger than the sprite. I know it should be a little larger since you made it taller, but it's too large in my opinion. I set it to 0.50 and that seems to be better.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 30 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostPlagman, on 30 January 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Does the lighting look in line with what you had in mind compared to when you look at it in your editor? If you have any questions about the lighting model, parallax mapping stuff, etc, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Plagman,

There seems to be an issue with normal maps maps in the engine, they just don't register enough on models. parallax mapping isn't really the best solution to increase normal strength, its more of a camera trick than a lighting trick. the normal map should be able to stand on its own on this type of asset. I think there is a problem with specular as well, they seem to crate a sharp line on models instead of being soft.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 30 January 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

I bet Steveeeie could model a nice slimer egg. If not, he's doing great with just the props he's modeled so far! :P

B) Might try it in the coming weeks.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 30 January 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

0.75 scale seems a little too large to me. I turned the models off in-game and it's way bigger than the sprite. I know it should be a little larger since you made it taller, but it's too large in my opinion. I set it to 0.50 and that seems to be better.

thanks, I have never actually seen one of these hydrants in real life, so the scale is probably off.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

When viewed in stereovision parallax\displacement mapping shows three dimensional detail on a surface and just plain normal mapping without it doesn't though. The former affects the outline.. the latter does not.

I think the normal mapping problem you describe is caused by the high amount of ambient light in the original maps. Ambient lighting comes from the original shading and wouldn't be affected by normal maps at all, they would just affect the direct lights that were added as additional map effects after the fact. The end-game plan would be to partially ditch the legacy lighting from these maps through additional maphacks, but that's not where we are right now.

If you look at your models with r_ambientlight 0 and adding "real" lightsources next to them such as fire or just holding the shrinker, does it look more in line with your expectations?

About the sharpness of the specular highlights, this would be entirely controlled by the specular material you set, namely the specpower. The specpower is also modulated by the alpha channel of the specular map, while the RGB channels are multiplied with the final contribution. As such if you want a "classic" gloss map I recommend a grayscale image with no alpha channel or the results might be unpredictable.

Parallax is virtual displacement mapping, so the outline wouldn't be affected, but it would create depth in stereo, yes.

Sorry for not being round much this past week. I bring no peace offering either :P

Some good news, I have found an issue with the models I have already uploaded and will be re-posting them later.
they will look a ton better and recommend anyone using the others to ditch them for the updated models instead.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 09 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSteveeeie, on 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Hydrant Files
I think you should remove that small grey part at the very bottom. The hydrant looks better ingame without IMO.
Attached Image: hyd-soft.jpgAttached Image: hyd-hrp.jpgAttached Image: hyd-new.jpgjpg]

Ok here are the 3 that are now fixed. something new tomorrow.

Make sure to update the defs to these also :

Fire Exit (signs.def)
// Exit (961)
texture 961 { pal 0 { file "highres/sprites/signs/0961.png" } }
model "highres/sprites/signs/0961_exit.md3" {
   scale 17 zadd 1 shade 0
   skin { file "highres/sprites/signs/0961_exit_d.png" }
   skin { pal 14 file "highres/sprites/signs/0961_exit_14_d.png" }
   normal { file "highres/sprites/signs/0961_exit_n.png" }
   specular { file "highres/sprites/signs/0961_exit_s.png" }
   frame { name "Frame 0" tile 961 }
}

Fire Hydrant (props.def)
// Hydrant (981)
   scale 0.6 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0981_hydrant.png" specpower 1.1 specfactor 2 }
}

Fire Alarm
// Firealarm (917)
model "highres/sprites/props/0917_firealarm.md3" {
   scale 1 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0917_firealarm_d.png" }
   normal { file "highres/sprites/props/0917_firealarm_n.png" }
   specular { file "highres/sprites/props/0917_firealarm_s.png"}
   frame { name "Frame 0" tile 917 }
}

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: preview.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 09 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostLeoD, on 09 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I think you should remove that small grey part at the very bottom. The hydrant looks better ingame without IMO.
Attachment hyd-soft.jpgAttachment hyd-hrp.jpgAttachment hyd-new.jpg

I personally like it as is :P

User is offline   Mark 

That hydrant looks so realistic my dog lifted his leg when I loaded it into my viewer. :P

Large Health,

// Health Bottle (52)
model "highres/sprites/pickups/0052_healthbottle.md3" {
   scale 1 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0052_healthbottle.png" specpower 1 specfactor 1.5}
   normal { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0052_healthbottle_n.png" }
   specular { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0052_healthbottle_s.png" }
   frame { name "Frame 0" tile 52 }
}

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: large_med.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Fox 

Here is the Nintendo 64 version, if you have any interesting in doing it too (though it is not very different).

Posted Image

View PostFox, on 10 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Here is the Nintendo 64 version, if you have any interesting in doing it too (though it is not very different).

Posted Image

Is the only difference the label? I can give you a version without?

I have a high poly coke can lying around so I might do a lameduke 6 pack as well :P

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 10 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Well, it's a little brighter too. So I guess a white bottle would make more sense.

You should make the Small Medkit and Portable Medkit too for the sake of consistency.

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Urgh, that looks too good. Is the left shot from your tools and the right show in-game? If so, does that mean that you got the engine to behave like you wanted? Because the lighting looks very similar; I remember you had tons of questions.

User is offline   Fox 

Remember to make a render of it, since some items are displayed on the screen in Eduke32.

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostPlagman, on 10 February 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Urgh, that looks too good. Is the left shot from your tools and the right show in-game? If so, does that mean that you got the engine to behave like you wanted? Because the lighting looks very similar; I remember you had tons of questions.

Yeah the normals on the meshes were getting ruined some how :P, so I used the md3compiler to fix those.

Thats why I re-posted fixed versions of the previous 3 above :D.

They still don't look great in some areas, but I suspect it will be the ambient lighting like you pointed out earlier :D

View PostFox, on 10 February 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Remember to make a render of it, since come items are displayed on the screen in Eduke32.

Good point, I see a healthbottle in highres/screen/hud/. I don't actually know where that particular one is used, though. Maybe someone's custom HUD?

View PostFox, on 10 February 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Well, it's a little brighter too. So I guess a white bottle would make more sense.

Here is the n64 version, use the same code as above, especially for you Fox

Attached File(s)

View PostSteveeeie, on 10 February 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

They still don't look great in some areas, but I suspect it will be the ambient lighting like you pointed out earlier :P

Normals in MD3 are a little arcane to deal with compared to other model formats, so some tools don't deal with them properly. What exporter are you using? Maybe we can get that fixed so that your process is more streamlined.

As for the ambient lighting, you can always toggle it with r_ambientlight 0; as long as there's a dynamic light nearby you should still be able to see stuff.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Double post.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 10 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSteveeeie, on 10 February 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Large Health,
The bottom is too flat compared to the original/current HRP version. This will make it look weird when placed on sloped surfaces.
Btw, you need to place a whitespace before any closing braces in the DEF.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 10 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Looking at the sprite, the bottom looks fine to me.

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 10 February 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Remember to make a render of it, since some items are displayed on the screen in Eduke32.

Yes. Check out highres/screen/hud for the pickup renders I made a while back.

If you enable filtering it may look too blurry in-game. That's why all of my renders have no filtering, so the game could handle it. Try with and without and see how they look.

User is offline   Fox 

The model in Duke 64:

Edit: rats!

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options