Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Hey Steveeeie; I think most of the above discussion was just debate between different opinions regarding the HRP in general and nothing against you personally. I think everyone will agree that you're doing a top-notch job, and showing incredible motivation by actually going through the trouble of getting your assets all the way into the game. Most people just drop half-skinned meshes in 3DS format and run away in fear when people mention the DEF syntax.

Personally I had no idea you were involved with DN:R, and I don't think H266's comment about that was made to that effect either. It was just a general observation about the different goals of the two projects with no maliciousness intended.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostSteveeeie, on 08 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

I was working on DN:R but I left that project because it wasn't remotely duke 3d, but a totally different game. :P

I had no idea that you where involved in that. May be a bit off topic but... what was it like?

Also, as for the trash bin... i think the ash tray is fine you really can't see too much of the top on the sprite anyway so for all you could know the ash tray could be there. Besides that it makes the model look more realistic and gives Duke a place to put his cigars. B)

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostReaperMan, on 08 January 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

I had no idea that you where involved in that. May be a bit off topic but... what was it like?

I was lead environment artist for a while, I can't really talk details, but there were some really good guys working on it who loved Duke 3D. there were a couple of guys that hadn't even played it that were making big decisions and ruined it for me personally, but that's probably all I should say.

Also, as for the trash bin... i think the ash tray is fine you really can't see too much of the top on the sprite anyway so for all you could know the ash tray could be there. Besides that it makes the model look more realistic and gives Duke a place to put his cigars. :P

That was sort of my thinking, but after people pointed it out I went back and looked at the original sprites, for the dented sprite the top is clearly visible and plain B)

I might release a pack made up of rejected art for anybody who still wants them (once I have enough to warrant a pack.)

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 08 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSteveeeie, on 08 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

I would rather you didn't compare my work to reloaded. I have no respect for that project at all.

I was working on DN:R but I left that project because it wasn't remotely duke 3d, but a totally different game. :P

I don't mean to be a sulky bitch here but I also feel comparing a users work to one of the most detested projects related to duke nukem EVER, is a little extreme when I'm dedicating my free time to giving the community some nice assets to use.

It was just one asset, if you don't like it ask it to be changed, I feel the above was an un-necessary insult, and not very encouraging.

B)

I apologize if I offended you. My remark was directed to others discussing the rubbercan and was not intended as a criticism of the model itself.

View PostHendricks266, on 08 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

:P
I apologize if I offended you. My remark was directed to others discussing the rubbercan and was not intended as a criticism of the model itself.

No worries, my own response was just an over reaction, sorry.

Just In case anyone wants to see a little extra something :
http://forums.duke4....holocaust-sigh/

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 08 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   Night Wolf 

I don't see what the big deal is, the ash tray looks great and I wouldn't change a thing, adds much more detail to the model, fits into well to Duke 3Ds environment.
I think this is the right way to go with some models.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's been mentioned before, but as a mapper who used to love mapping for the HRP but now prefer mapping for 8-bit art, I feel I need to emphasize it again.
The reason why so many different looking maps have been coming out and why the original game content has allowed such a variety of combinations, is because the art is generic enough to be used in a wide range of situations, most of which completely different to the artist's original intention. (And you can use parts of textures and sprites for different things, but that's besides the point).

So I know the HRP artists have the best intentions when adding details like that, but on the mapper's side it's very frustrating because the art is now heavily restricted in its use. That's one of the big reasons why veteran mappers like Gambini don't like the HRP. You'd NEVER have been able to get such detailed maps as Blown Fuses and It Lives with the HRP, because a lot of the decoration are sprites which are used for new and unexpected purposes to make new things.

But then what's the big deal? Stuff designed without the HRP in mind shouldn't be used with the HRP and the HRP should be targetted at the official maps, and everyone's happy right?

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Except those who would like to run user maps with the HRP which is condemned by the user map creator. That creator goes around bad mouthing the HRP saying it looks horrible (sometimes simply due to little things like the scuba door sign) and demanding the players not use it and saying it's not compatible like it doesn't work at all.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 08 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPlagman, on 08 January 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

But then what's the big deal? Stuff designed without the HRP in mind shouldn't be used with the HRP and the HRP should be targetted at the official maps, and everyone's happy right?

Well, judge for yourself.
http://img21.imagesh...37/duke0304.jpg
This is a secret, illuminated via a glowing switch.
While having glowing switches are a cool add on, who thought about those switches to be 'one sided and turned by 180 degress, supposedly hidden?
Will I dish the entire HRP for this? No. But I certainly can not re-publish my secret loaded maps with HRP.

How about a compromise, try to keep the old timers a bit happy Posted Image and let's move forwards Posted Image

Well the hard-coded lighting has little to do with the HRP in this case; it's an (arguably unfortunate depending on the situation) EDuke32 feature. Now, lights shouldn't really leak from sealed sectors. Is that sector a one-way wall?

User is offline   Hank 

No, it's a tricky set up, but all walls are 'red' walls Posted Image but I've got your point here, and I say it again, progress has it's price, just try Posted Image

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I was playing some eduke32 today with the Polymer HRP and I noticed some of the textures such as the scuba door are used in places they weren't originally designed for even in the commercial maps. An example is the secret area next to the room with the pictures of the presidents in mission improbable.

Posted Image

So it's probably best to not have those words on that texture for example even for the commercial levels.

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around to post or "brag" as another use who messaged me yesterday politely put it :P

I have had a release to do in work for the past two weeks and have had little time to get much else done :D

I started a new fire switch around Tuesday and have got as far as finishing the high poly today. B)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: firealarm.jpg

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 27 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

First classs modelling.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm thinking about re-making 4 of the tech panels that I made for the HRP a couple of years ago. The pic shows the original, the current version, and my new version. Is it still close enough to original or not ?

I figured I would ask before going any further with the other ones.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: PANELS.jpg

Here is the finished fire alarm inside UDK.

Stand by for md3 and png's.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: low.jpg

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMark., on 27 January 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'm thinking about re-making 4 of the tech panels that I made for the HRP a couple of years ago. The pic shows the original, the current version, and my new version. Is it still close enough to original or not ?
Close enough for me. Good work. The switches on the right are almost too realistic to fit. :P

Two more or less related things I'd like to mention:

- The slightly reddish tint of most of the original Duke3D textures: should this be preserved or not? Apparently not, judging by the stuff added since starting the Polymer HRP. Has this been discussed?

- There a quite a lot of tech panels and the like, just to list them:
0293, 0297, 0301, 0305 - 0307,
(0357 - 0359,)
0360 - 0363,
4130 - 4133,
4134 - 4146
4290 - 4293, 4296
Some are very good already, some are not so good, some are unfinished polymerizations, some just break the style.
All in all they should be designed to fit next to each other. My personal favourite (style/tint wise) is 0297.png (Polymost version), which fits quite nicely to Mark.'s new panel.
So if anyone is going to work on one of those panel sets, please keep the others in mind.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSteveeeie, on 27 January 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Here is the finished fire alarm inside UDK.

Stand by for md3 and png's.

I usually only upvote, but this model is (using my boys words, around 2008) "real sick"!
[added]
... and after downloading the md3 I say; super class A work.

This post has been edited by Hank: 27 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

User is offline   Mark 

The last tiles you mentioned are what I would be re-doing. I made them together before and would do the same this time. I'll play around with some different toggle switches. The few that I made from 4134-4146 are still good enough for me. I'll just work on these last ones for now.

I mentioned it a while back and thought I would mention again since the subject came up. I made 4 frame animations and broken versions of tech panels 4290-4293 and 4296 for custom use. I zipped them up and I'll post the file for download in the "community resources" thread of the forums.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 27 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Fire Alarm Files:

// Firealarm (917)
model "highres/sprites/props/0917_firealarm.md3" {
   scale 1 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/0917_firealarm_d.png" }
   normal { file "highres/sprites/props/917_firealarm_n.png" }
   specular { file "highres/sprites/props/0917_firealarm_s.png"}
   frame { name "Frame 0" tile 917 }
}

Attached File(s)

View PostGambini, on 27 January 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

First classs modelling.

Thanks Gambini B)

View PostHank, on 27 January 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I usually only upvote, but this model is (using my boys words, around 2008) "real sick"!
[added]
... and after downloading the md3 I say; super class A work.

Thanks Hank :P

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 27 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSteveeeie, on 27 January 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Fire Alarm Files:
Great job. I'm not so sure about the colour, though. I haven't seen that kind of switch in real life, but I think it should match the fire extinguisher's colour somehow. Duke isn't as desaturated as modern games. Ingame impressions:
Attached Image: 0917-software.jpgAttached Image: 0917-polymost-hrp.jpgAttached Image: 0917-polymer-hrp.jpgAttached Image: 0917-polymer-hrp-Steveeeie.jpg

View PostLeoD, on 27 January 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Duke isn't as desaturated as modern games.

Thanks for the feedback :P , I think this is only true for the hrp, its closer in colour to the sprite than than the current hrp model, its more dark than it is desaturated.

but I think it should match the fire extinguisher's colour somehow.

I will probably be re-making this one next

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 27 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Yeah if anything the fire extinguisher should be made darker.. at least when it's remade. The original is clearly darker rather than desaturated.

As for the tech panel. I thought the toggle switches where fine. The rest of the stuff suffers from looking too simple though with no shading beyond simple gradients.. like the knobs on the left and the electronics above the toggle switches. I'm glad the words in the middle one where left out though. Also I think it should stick to the same number of knobs\buttons that are in the original. Deviations like that break the style more than the toggle style which to me looks more like what the original had clarified more than anything.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 27 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I concur, that model looks awesome; I feel like it matches the original ART color more closely than the replacement that was already there, so I agree, if anything the extinguisher should be changed to match it, not the other way around. Who said you were bragging?

User is offline   Mark 

That was me, kind of. After releasing some of his great stuff which caused a very minor controversy over artistic interpretation he disappeared. I pm'ed him the other day just to make sure he wasn't discouraged. I asked if he had anything else to show us or "brag" about. It was not meant as anything against him. I hope it wasn't taken that way.

When I had last updated this I based it off several photos. I can upload them here if it would help. Hopefully, the fire extinguisher can get and update too. I had a harder time finding the real life photo of it. The current one is more of a combination of several different ones.

Great job. I'm not so sure about the colour, though. I haven't seen that kind of switch in real life, but I think it should match the fire extinguisher's colour somehow. Duke isn't as desaturated as modern games. Ingame impressions:
Attachment 0917-software.jpgAttachment 0917-polymost-hrp.jpgAttachment 0917-polymer-hrp.jpgAttachment 0917-polymer-hrp-Steveeeie.jpg

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Steveeeie, that's some top notch work. Keep it up (please!). I can only imagine how badass the HRP would be now if we had guys like you around consistently from the beginning.

The next two things will be the fire extinguisher and probably the fire hydrant.

View PostPlagman, on 27 January 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

I concur, that model looks awesome

Thanks Plagman :P

View PostMark., on 28 January 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

That was me, kind of. After releasing some of his great stuff which caused a very minor controversy over artistic interpretation he disappeared. I pm'ed him the other day just to make sure he wasn't discouraged. I asked if he had anything else to show us or "brag" about. It was not meant as anything against him. I hope it wasn't taken that way.

No Hard Feelings.

View PostForeverDuke, on 28 January 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

When I had last updated this I based it off several photos. I can upload them here if it would help. Hopefully, the fire extinguisher can get and update too. I had a harder time finding the real life photo of it. The current one is more of a combination of several different ones.

Yeah, the new is actually based off of two similar fire alarms, both were similar to the current hrp fire alarm but with an additional "push" switch on the one and the additional front panel on the other.

View PostTerminX, on 28 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Steveeeie, that's some top notch work. Keep it up (please!).

Thanks, Will Do B)

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 28 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options