Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostFox, on 10 February 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

The model in Duke 64:

Posted Image

Thats the old texture.

View PostPlagman, on 10 February 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Normals in MD3 are a little arcane to deal with compared to other model formats, so some tools don't deal with them properly. What exporter are you using? Maybe we can get that fixed so that your process is more streamlined.

My process has been a little different to others, and may seem a little ass backwards, but its got me the best results when exporting from 3DSMax.

I make the mesh in 3DSmax and export it as a .obj.

I load the obj in to noasis and export it as an MD3 with uv's flipped.

I then load the MD3 into md3 compiler, and name the frames and reset normals.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 10 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostSteveeeie, on 10 February 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Thats the old texture.

Shame on me.

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostFox, on 10 February 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Shame on me.

yes :P lol

User is offline   Fox 

Now I made it:

Posted Image

I was going to make a new thread for this, but it is relevant, if it becomes a massive pain in the butt I will move it.

I will be making a new model at the weekend.

Because I'm not making them as quick as I would like, I am giving everyone else the chance to vote on the next model to maintain some buzz in the thread.

Dont waste your time with med packs, these are nearly ready (Apart from atomic health, I wont be doing this now).

Props / Switches / Weapons Only (I'm seriously poop at people and organic things at the moment, but it doesn't mean I wont contribute these in the future.)

You have until Friday when I come on and say STOP.

:P

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 19 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

douple post

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 19 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSteveeeie, on 19 February 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

[...] maintain some buzz in the thread.
You beat me to it, but I'll post a Roma Loom appreciation screenshot nonetheless.
Attached Image: RomaLoomBloodpool.jpg

User is offline   TON 

Who can vote?
I vote for new palm tree based on the original
Posted Image

With leaves like this:

Posted Image

Sorry if I can't vote

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTON, on 19 February 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I vote for new palm tree based on the original
Too many polygons I suppose.

User is offline   Spiker 

It doesn't matter which prop you choose to make because your work is always brilliant :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Digging this up because I've encountered problems again in Duke 12:12 and Midnight Arrival.

View PostLeoD, on 04 January 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

[...] genericpole. The latter's model seems to have some issues (too short?) as can be seen in Roch and Dogville2012, but I didn't have an extensive look into that yet.

View PostMark., on 04 January 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

I did a quick check of the genericpole sprite and model in a test map. Sized at player height they look the same.

If the model is OK, is there something about the map design where it is used, then?
Attached Image: duke12_12-genericpole-software.jpgAttached Image: duke12_12-genericpole-polymer-hrp.jpgpolymer-hrp.jpg]Attached Image: MidnightArrival-genericpole-software.jpgAttached Image: MidnightArrival-genericpole-hrp.jpg

[EDIT] Correction : it's tile1221 CRANEPOLE in these screenshots.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 19 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Dont waste your time with med packs, these are nearly ready (Apart from atomic health, I wont be doing this now).

Good decision; I think we can all agree that the Atomic Health model is as good as it gets.

If we start in E1L1 and go logically you already did the C9 canister, which looks great. Then in that same area there's the skycar, which isn't a bad model and far away, and the pistol clip, which isn't bad either and hidden. Fence is also good, so that leaves the spinning fan, which is indeed starting to look old. That's where my vote would go!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Looking at those screens, I forgot how wildly different HRP looks from the original textures.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

The current one doesn't look too out of place unless you were using the trunk for something besides a tree trunk (which I assume a few user maps do since it is just a greyish brown stick). The top is fine, the trunk is a little too different.

There is always room for improvement in the humanoid models (babes, robots, easter eggs [Indy, Luke], monk, and jury) However, those are not a weekend project and will undoubtedly cause criticism and frustration.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 19 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the fan's a good candidate, but then again so is the palm tree, (and also tree 2, which has an identical model to tree 1 even though the sprite is completely different).

Didn't someone make a really realistic palm tree a year or two ago that wasn't too high on the polycount? What ever happened to that?

He said nothing organic! People and trees are like the definition of organic!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPlagman, on 19 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Good decision; I think we can all agree that the Atomic Health model is as good as it gets.

Says the author of the Atomic Health model. But it is good.

User is offline   Mark 

The fan is a good candidate for remaking. At least a year ago I was looking at the model in one of my maps and hated the off-center skin for the fan blade hub and I tweaked it for my own use.

View PostHendricks266, on 19 February 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Says the author of the Atomic Health model. But it is good.

Truer words have never been spoken.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

I would also like to see a new palm tree... but yeah that is organic.

I wouldn't mind a new dome light (0551) (siren light) the current one is pretty bad, and the animation is off, only the part in the middle of the light should spin.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Props / Switches / Weapons Only (I'm seriously poop at people and organic things at the moment, but it doesn't mean I wont contribute these in the future.)

Your doing health pickups so next logical thing is the armor pick up.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 20 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Armor pickup would be a good first step towards organic things since it would be the torso of a male.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I disagree about doing the armour, since the model already looks ok. If the palm tree is out then I'll stick with the rotating fan.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Yes, it makes a lot of sense redoing models in the order they appear in game or, even better remake the models that are more used in the original maps first. Is there a way to know this?

OK Its Friday.

Made an early start on this one, pretty bare high poly so far, will be a bit more detailed tomorrow.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: fan.jpg

User is offline   Fox 

Looking good already. But the broken fan texture seems to have X shaped brackets rather than a single vertical one.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've been away from the forums busy on another project, but I'd just like to say how great it is to have someone like you working on the HRP. Thanks so much for your time and contributions :P

User is offline   Spiker 

A serious question. Should I resore the old pistol hands? I don't think I can make the new ones look any better and I'm not entirely convinced that they look good enough. Or maybe someone can make them look better?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSpiker, on 24 February 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

A serious question. Should I resore the old pistol hands? I don't think I can make the new ones look any better and I'm not entirely convinced that they look good enough.
Could you please name the repo version to compare with? My guess would be about r302 (HRP Update Pack v5.1.302 from 2012-03-11), but I'm not sure.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options