Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostMark., on 28 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Providing there are no legal headaches for a seperate pack, I would very much like to see Steevie and other modelers "go for it" in creating high quality models with artistic freedom to veer away slightly from original looking. But I also would like to see some more model updates to the HRP following the close to original rule. In other words, I want my cake and to eat it too.

This is exactly how I feel, there are some original assets that I just couldn't bare to see changed but some that need some work.

I hope people don't get the wrong idea of what my goal is, I'm not trying to make a .. lets use the words of DNR here a 're-imagining'.

I have never wanted to re-create the items beyond recognition, I think the HRP has lost some of the realism of the original game, in my honest opinion its starting to look cartoony.

Not because the assets are bad, because they are old. I have followed the HRP since it was first released, I remember first downloading it and thinking, 'Jesus Christ this is the balls'.

I think computers are powerful enough now to start pushing some higher poly models through the HRP. This is allows us the opportunity to add details to the models. I dont think if 3DR made Duke 3D now the assets would be so plain.

I left DNR because the amount they changed just made me plain sick, so I understand where people are coming from when they believe something has been pushed too far.

My final 2cents on the subject are .. its ok to add extra details as long as the additions make sense, and as long as the additions don't make the object seem like something completely different.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 02 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostNorvak, on 28 February 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Anyway, if you do so, are you just gonna remake the models or all the textures? That would be a lot of work for just one person, and maybe not feasible in the end. ( the texture stuff I mean)

Oh I forgot about this question, I will be doing texture work, I will be messing with models first though.

The only textures I may release earlier is a new hollywood skybox.

This is half finished, so don't expect it any time soon, I am making it with models and rendering a cube map out of UDK,

So wait for that, so far its a massive improvement.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 02 March 2013 - 04:24 AM

User is offline   TON 

My new vote goes to new urinal model

Posted Image

With pipeline like the third image
With drain like the hrp model
I put the image of the original model because hrp model is more rounded than the original

View PostTON, on 02 March 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

My new vote goes to new urinal model

Posted Image

With pipeline like the third image
With drain like the hrp model
I put the image of the original model because hrp model is more rounded than the original

I have this, I made it a while ago for my hh re-make, will it work if I make a new toilet and a urinal base for it ?

Anybody know if cubemap reflections are do-able?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: toiletpipes.jpg

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 02 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

That's a good start :P I'm glad that Steveeeie has found a good solution concerning the HRP packs.

User is offline   Mark 

deleted

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I'm also glad things are solved, I really like to see Steveeeie's models in-game :P

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Cubemap reflections are not yet hooked up, but they're pretty easy. The one thing I'm unsure about is which channel of the specular map to hook them up for the intensity part. If we follow the plan I had for mirror, RGB would be modulated with the reflection color and A would be modulated with the reflectivity, which would also have a DEF token to set the base value (from 0-100% reflectivity). Does that make sense? If you can send me a test model with a cubemap that's ready, that'd help me out.

View PostPlagman, on 02 March 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

Cubemap reflections are not yet hooked up, but they're pretty easy. The one thing I'm unsure about is which channel of the specular map to hook them up for the intensity part. If we follow the plan I had for mirror, RGB would be modulated with the reflection color and A would be modulated with the reflectivity, which would also have a DEF token to set the base value (from 0-100% reflectivity). Does that make sense? If you can send me a test model with a cubemap that's ready, that'd help me out.

Nothing that's ready, but I will get something to you ASAP :P

I don't think it should be part of the specular map though, it should be its own texture.

View PostSteveeeie, on 02 March 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

My models are fairly high poly, compared to the current assets, but not compared to assets from next gen games.

I'm a bit worried the engine will choke eventually.

One of the (few) things the new renderer is well-optimized for is pushing high amounts of polygons very efficiently. So I wouldn't hold back on that. The theory would be to not hold back on anything and rely on the engine being improved with time, but your mileage may vary with that..

View PostSteveeeie, on 02 March 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I don't think it should be part of the specular map though, it should be its own texture.

The reflection would be its own map for sure; I was talking about how to fine-tune which parts of the model reflect more, and how. I think this makes sense to be in the specular map. For example for planar reflections now, here's how it works:
  • The reflection comes from the mirror, so it's like an implicit, dynamic cubemap
  • There's a "base" reflectivity DEF token, from 0 to 100.
  • The specular map of the reflecting surface controls the reflection in more detail
  • The alpha component lets you tweak the reflectivity, so alpha 0.5 would mean 50% of the _base_ reflectivity.
  • The RGB channels are multiplied with the incoming reflection texel; that lets you tint it.

So in practice that means you can have parts of your model/mirror that are fully reflective while other parts none at all, other parts that reflect only red, etc. I'm thinking maybe the RGB part is overkill.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

If you had the coloured reflectivity, I can see that being usefull for things like the dome light where the reflecting part is behind a coloured glass. Also, some of the organic alien wall structures might benefit.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, that's already hooked up to planar mirrors exactly the way I described. If you define a Duke3D mirror and give it a diffuse, specular and normal map, you can do things like this:

https://plus.google....7890?banner=pwa

For the same wall mirror you can have opaque tiles, red tiles, etc. And the reflection is perturbed by the normal map.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm sure Steveeie's version will look better but I thought I would give a try at re-making one of the few simple models I made for the HRP a couple of years ago. Not quite finished. It still needs the label and normal and spec textures. The pics are small and compressed but you get the idea of what it looks like.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bomb1.jpg
  • Attached Image: bomb2.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Shouldn't it look the same as the regular HRP pipe bomb?

User is offline   Spiker 

The stripes are too dense, other than that it looks good.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpiker, on 03 March 2013 - 01:20 AM, said:

The stripes are too dense, other than that it looks good.

That's what I meant, but said much better.

If you fix that and do that other stuff you talked about it should be ok.

See how different the stripes are:
Posted Image

User is offline   Spiker 

They are even smaller if you compare them to the original art.

User is offline   Mark 

I widened the stripes but I'm going to stop here. There is a texture wrapping issue on the back side. IIRC this model was used only once in the original maps and not worth much effort. And I just realised that other pickup and HUD versions of the pipebomb would need to be re-made to match up. The present model is good enough and matches the others.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pbomb.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Here is the model and skin if anyone wants to mess around with it.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

• Polymancer

On that note, I've uploaded the source files for the Cycloid and Duke to SourceForge. Details are in the first post of the thread.

User is offline   alandog 

I came back here from a long time, a lot of new things have been done! I'm very happy to see something new, thanks to all of you guys...

User is offline   Mark 

I suppose I should have checked to see if Steevie was remaking this one too. But it was something to do on a quiet sunday afternoon. Some skin tweaks still needed.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: mic.jpg

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostMark., on 03 March 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Here is the model and skin if anyone wants to mess around with it.

Could you tell me where the pipebomb is in game and provide *.def lines?

User is offline   Mark 

When testing I'm pretty sure I opened up the HRP zip in my autoload folder and just replaced the 2 files and zipped it back up. I didn't change the defs.

View PostMark., on 10 March 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

I suppose I should have checked to see if Steevie was remaking this one too. But it was something to do on a quiet sunday afternoon. Some skin tweaks still needed.

Looking good :D

Don't worry about me re-making things, especially not for things like this that don't appear until later levels, its going to take some time to get to them. :angry: (lots and lots of props)

Have you tried high poly modelling and baking to low before? if not, then this type of asset is a great place to start.
I would suggest starting with a high poly for any prop modelling work, the results are worth the time it takes to learn it, plus the high poly modelling is the best bit :woot:

You could probably get a way with a bit more detail, especially on the base; have a look at real world examples and see what type of details you can get away with,
without destroying the look of the asset.

User is offline   Mark 

Unfortunately the barebones program I got comfortable with does not have some common features like UV unwrapping, or a meaningfull poly reduction to accomplish the baking process you mentioned. And working with mostly cylindrical shapes in the mic and pipebomb models I made recently, poly count jumps up fast with details. So I weigh that along with how important ( or not ) the prop is that I'm making. If its just backround filler or used only a few times I don't want to get too detailed ( because of the high poly count ). But if it was an often used "in your face" model of course more attention to detail is demanded. I would love to make collars, spacers, nuts and bolts and other fine details like yours but the poly count would be way too large since I have no way to bake it down later.

ADDED: I almost forgot, thankyou for the suggestions. :angry:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

What do you use mark?

User is offline   Mark 

Misfit Model 3D. I installed that along with Gmax and Blender. I struggled greatly with them and gave up. Then tried Misfit. Having never modeled before I didn't realise until it was too late that Misfit was missing some key features. But it was hands down the easiest to figure out. There aren't a lot of tuts for it either so I was mostly on my own.

• Polymancer

There are loads of tuts for Blender, and if you want to go 'to the darkside' ( jk! ) you can do what I did and pick up a student copy of Max with an educational email address. It's great for making stuff, as long as you are not using it professionally.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options