Duke4.net Forums: Duke Map/Mod of the Month Club - May 2024 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Map/Mod of the Month Club - May 2024  "Three TCs for this month"

User is offline   FistMarine 

What's this thing?
We play through a set of maps/mods during the month, and use this thread to discuss it as we're still all fresh with our comments/opinions/feelings about the maps.

What's the purpose?
Basically, there are 4 purposes:
  • Showcasing some of the older mods/maps to wider public - they definitely deserve the attention!
  • Getting more people to actually enjoy and appreciate the user content - because let's be honest, over the past 28 years this was really what kept Duke alive after all.
  • ...and while we're at it - keeping Duke alive by still enjoying it, as there's no new games in the franchise on the horizon (and let's be honest, they wouldn't be as good as some of this stuff!).
  • Having a more structured discussion on maps than what's going in "Last map you played" thread - which is great, but it's basically a monologue most of the time.

Can I join?

Sure, as long as you find some spare time during the month to play the stuff that's on the table!

Why a month?
Because people have lives, jobs or other stuff to do (like mapping). For smaller maps, this could be shorter time - it's all up to debate in the future!

What port should I use? Are mods allowed? Where to get the maps?
It's entirely up to you how you play the game, so you can use whatever port or mod allowed - it would be cool to state in your posts what you're using too, as there might be some slight differences between the ports! As for the maps, they should be always linked within the first post.

How should I play the maps or post about them?
Again, it's up to you. You can finish them all in one go or play them one by one whenever you feel like. On Doom forums, there's a rule that you should keep the pace by not posting about a map that has a higher number than the day of the month, so e.g. on 6th you shouldn't post about map 7 etc. I think that might be a good practice if there's a large interest in this, but first let's see how active the thread is for a start - so if there's nothing going on, feel free to post about whatever map you want to.

Previous 2024 Editions

Previous 2023 Editions

Previous 2022 Editions

Previous 2021 Editions

For this month, three old TCs from the late 90s/early 2000s have been chosen!

Merc: Fatal Reality was released in September 1997 and contains 12 levels (4 hub and 8 normal) split across two episodes. A sequel called Merc 2 was released in August 1998 and contains 19 levels (12 SP, 5 DM and 2 test maps) split across three episodes. Both TCs require the Atomic Edition of the game. I am not sure if any of these TCs contain secret levels or if most/all levels from the first Merc are present into Merc 2. I will figure this out at a later time when I finally get around playing them, so until then, it is up to you whether you want to play either one of them or both of them.

Murder: The EDF Conspiracy was released in September 1998 and contains 13 levels (9 SP and 4 DM) split across two episodes (E3 is the SP episode and E2 is the DM episode). This TC is also for the Atomic Edition.

Pray Your Prayers was originally released in late 1999 and featured three levels. It required version 1.3D of the game to play. PYP was later re-released as "Pray Your Prayers 2000" on August 2000 and contained an episode with 11 levels (5 briefing, 5 normal and one secret). The mod was still designed for version 1.3D but an Atomic patch was released separately. Many years later in 2008, PYP TC was re-released for EDuke32 by James Stanfield. The new version not only makes the TC Atomic compatible and fixes various stuff but it also includes an user map named Repent. However, it runs on an ancient version of EDuke32, so you might want to use a newer eduke32 build from 2015 or so to play the mod.

What are you waiting for? Download the TCs right here:

Merc: Fatal Reality
Merc 2 + Merc 2 1.1 Patch
Murder: The EDF Conspiracy

Pray Your Prayers (Demo Version)
Pray Your Prayers (Full Version)
Pray Your Prayers (EDuke32 Version)

Installation Instructions

Merc
Copy your DUKE3D folder (version 1.5) and rename it to MERC. Paste the file merc14.exe into the directory. If having 32-bit OS, then run the installer. If having 64-bit OS, then extract the contents of the executable using 7-zip. Afterwards, run MERC.BAT file in DOSBox.

Merc 2
Copy your DUKE3D folder (version 1.5) and rename it to MERC2. Paste the file m2full.zip into a directory and extract it. Afterwards, run M2setup.exe and follow the instructions. Specify the correct directory (MERC2 instead of the default c:\duke3d), then click on the Setup icon to begin installation. Afterwards, run m2dos.bat (in DOS) or MERC2.EXE (in Windows). If playing in DOSBox, obviously you use m2dos.bat file to begin.

Murder
Copy your DUKE3D folder (version 1.5) and rename it to MURDER. Paste the file murder.zip into the new directory and extract it. Afterwards, run MURDER.BAT file in DOSBox and select the third episode in game.

Pray Your Prayers (Demo Version)
Copy your DUKE3D folder (version 1.3D) and rename it to PRAYERS. Paste the file prayers.zip into the new directory, extract it and accept to overwrite the CON files. Afterwards, run DUKE3D.EXE and select the first episode in game.

Pray Your Prayers (Full Version)
Copy your DUKE3D folder (version 1.3D) and rename it to PYP2000. Paste the file pyp2000.exe into the directory and run the self-extracting archive after specifying the correct directory (PYP2000 instead of the default C:\DUKE3D). Afterwards, run install.bat on your computer to rename the files (don't run inside DOSBox as the batch file will fail for some reason), then run DUKE3D.EXE and when in-game, select the second episode in game.

Notes:
-Be sure to check the readme files for more information about the TCs regarding the story, new weapons and monsters, etc.
-If playing the original versions of the TCs in DOSBox, you just need the following files: merc14.exe (Merc 1, self-extracting archive), m2full.zip (Merc 2, Windows installer), m211ptch.zip (Merc 2 Patch), prayers.zip (demo version with three levels, pre-installed), pyp2000.exe (full version, self-extracting archive).
-Merc, Merc 2 and Murder are available in GRP format but PYP2000 is only available as a set of files.
-Merc, Merc 2 and Pray Your Prayers 2000 have new gameplay demos available. However, the Merc demos desync over time (third demo is almost entirely with the player dead) and Merc 2 demos are not playing, might be because they are 1.4 compatible. Murder doesn't seem to have any new demos present, so you just get the Atomic demos. I only used Atomic 1.5 to test the mods starting with "M".
-Merc 2 has the 1.1 patch available to download separately, make sure to install the patch on top of your MERC2 folder and overwrite the files when asked.
-Obviously, you want to install each TC in a separate folder. This also includes the demo and full version of PYP2000, they should be installed each in a separate folder, NOT ONE ON TOP OF ANOTHER!
-These TCs can also be found as part of the EDuke32 Addon Compilation with further bug-fixes and improvements, though only in the newer 4.00 pre-release version of the compilation.

Warning: if you think there are too many levels chosen for this month, then this month should mainly focus on the "M" series (Merc, Merc 2 and Murder), which means Pray Your Prayers 2000 should be saved for another month and coupled with other classic TCs. What are people's opinion of this? I only realized this recently while counting the number of levels and don't want to overwhelm people who want to play through every map, especially since the past month was quite busy with about 30 single player levels.

Have fun! :)

User is offline   slacker1 

Let's see if I can keep up with this month's set of maps :)

I'm on Linux so I used DOSBox to run the install exe and then copied the files from my dosbox 'C:' drive area to my Duke maps folder. Started EDuke with: eduke32 /x MERC14.CON /g MERC14.GRP
Seems to work fine so far...

MERC 1

Episode 1 - Fatal Reality

Your Aparment]

Nothing much to say here, just a starting area that is a simple one bedroom apartment with a small secret closet area. The floppy disk as a keycard for the computer was a neat idea. The exit doors to the street confused me for a second because it didn't seem like they opened and I couldn't break the glass. I tried again after walking up and down the hallway and it opened... end of map. Besides everything being slightly over sized, the mapping quality is pretty mediocre. The new assets look okay tough. I'm not going to give this one a score as its just a starting spot.

Rating: No Rating

Suburban Slaughter

They don't really explain how you got to this area, I guess you drove and ended up inside a building? Level design seems to stay mediocre at best... often dipping below that. The level is a somewhat generic city map arranged in a square block. I don't mind the new enemies.. but the constant 'ha-ha's are a bit much. I got turned around a bit thanks to the reliance on random switches in random places opening up other random areas (I'm looking at you sewer vent accessed via the electrified subway...) Health is somewhat sparse so even though the enemies aren't tough, they eventually wittled me down to somewhat low health at the end. The end of map just teleports you back to your apartment building which was a bit jolting but I guess answers my question from the start of the level of how we're getting place to place.

Rating: D-

Compound of Death

To quote Mr Horse from Ren and Stimpy, "No sir, I don't like it.".

This level reminds me of something straight out of Duke Zone. It's a patchwork of places sewn together (poorly) in a nonsensical and arbitrary way. I'm usually fine with abstract levels but I feel like it doesn't fit the story/world of the TC having such a bizarre level (or maybe it does? It's only level 3 after all...).

Anyway, you fight your way through this ugly looking level full of odd shaped rooms and conveyor belts, and also an absolutely unforgiving lava maze to eventually open an exit to an outside river area. You follow the river area to the end and jetpack up this random room (why? who the hell knows...) to the Nuke button. Yep, this level ends with a Nuke button instead of a teleport back to the apartment. The previous levels didn't have an exit button and simply relied on you stepping into the exit to leave the level but this one changes it up... oh and with the next level you're magically back at your apartment so I'm not sure why they didn't just repeat the teleport idea from the previous level. Perhaps it was two different level designers between the two? Idk... didn't really care for this one. The new enemy introduced wasn't bad though but its hard to tell when he's shooting you so all of sudden you just see your health spinning downward.

Your Apartment

No rating again for this one. It's the first level again. I don't dislike this idea at all honestly. You grab some supplies, insert the disk into the computer and read about the next mission before heading out again.

Drug Bust

I'm not a huge fan of Abyss style levels to begin with and this is an abyss style level. Thankfully it's not very large. Like the previous maps, things are rough around the edges but the cliff area at least has a linear path to it and more or less fits the atmosphere (except for those very long and slow lifts). The level also relies on your jetpack a bit especially if you want to get the large secret at the beginning where the toxic waste pours out.

In the level you make your way through the cliffs to what I assume is a drug lab (its labeled above the door but I forget what it says... It might actually say "IMF DRUG LAB" lol) where you then kill everything inside and destroying their nuclear reactor (which is a simplified version of the one from Duke E2). You escape into the sewers where you get captured.

Not the worst level in the bunch so far. I like it better than Compound of Death BUT it has one very big issue. The map is broken an unbeatable without using the keys cheat (at least with EDuke). While exploring a side area in the mountain side, you eventually snake your way to a small black room with the text 'BLOW ~M UP" and a pipebomb. In front of the drug lab is a motorcycle which I assume is what "~M" is to get the blue key. The problem is, you can't blow the motorcycle up no matter what you throw at it so you're stuck from continuing the level.

Rating: D

(I just noticed I meant to rate Suburban Slaughter as a 'D' not 'D-' but I can't go back and edit it anymore.)

I hope my low scores aren't scaring anyone off from trying the mod or thinking I'm hating every second of it. I'm actually have quite a bit of fun muscling through these odd and poorly designed levels. :)

The Rock

The level is named after the movie but has no relation to it, it's just located at Alcatraz as well. That's where the 'FAJ' have their base set up or something. The final room in the level is a very simple representation of the iconic shower room scene from the movie though.

The mediocre level design continues at the same quality as the previous maps. This one doesn't really have any obscure or out of theme areas. The raging thunderstorm outside complete with SFX and flashing lightening lighting was a nice touch. The level is pretty straightforward except for the first blue key which requires the jetpack and is hidden up inside the original vent you crawl out of your cell from. The level also is very liberal with giving ammo and health... which brings me to my next point...

Why did I wait so long to actually try the flamethrower!? I figured it was just a reskinned freeze thrower that would be buggy as hell but it's not! (at least not entirely) It's actually F-ing awesome! It sets fire to EVERYTHING and mows through enemies like they're butter. It's just awesome. Another weapon I didn't really explore to much were the replacements for the shrinker/expander though I didn't really notice anything except it's an electric shock thing that shoots slow? Didn't seem that great.

Anyway, with the amount of ammo they were giving I was expecting a boss fight or something at the end but there wasn't any (At least on Let's Rock) so that was a little disappointing.

Anyway, this level was fun overall. I'm not going to dock it too hard due to its poor mapping quality as it seems that these are going to be all about the same in that regard so I should probably tweak my ratings to reflect that moving forward.

Rating: C

And with that... That's the end of episode 1. On to E2 - Into the City...

This post has been edited by slacker1: 10 May 2024 - 07:35 PM

E2 - Into the City

Your Apartment

No apartment upgrade from E1. Less supplies as well. Same as previous times, grab the disk, use it in the computer to get a mission brief and head out.

In the Gutter

This was a fun map. I was worried by the name that it was going to be another sewer map (I feel like E1 had a good amount of sewer sections) but was pleasantly surprised when it was actually a bowling alley. After leaving the bowling alley, you enter the small city/town that has a bar, a shipping/warehouse, a parking garage, a cinema, and a melted down reactor/base area.

There's an interesting amount of work done in some places and lack there of in others. I'm wondering if the mapper just was crunched for time and didn't get to put the level of detail in that they originally wanted. For example, there's a very intricate (for this TC) pencil holder on a desk and also a very nice looking blown up bridge out of town out side of bounds but the city as a whole is VERY limited vertically (almost feels Wolf3d in that sense) and bland in areas. Overall though, I feel like its a bit of a step up from E1.

Also, another interesting change of pace here was the multiple paths you can take to get to the exit. You can go through the reactor base as a whole, or you can go into the secret car park and exit the reactor base from the start (making the level very quick to beat), or you can use the key from the car park to open the warehouse loading dock in the back and get a different key for the reactor base but in a different location. That was really cool to see.

Enemy placement was pretty good for the most part but I do feel like they went a little heavy with instances of the rocket guy hidden behind a wall that you have to play 'peek-a-boo' with. A nice amount of secrets as well.

Like I said in the previous post, I'm going to be a bit more lenient on the mapping quality, so with that said, this was a pretty decent map.

Rating: C+

Matinee Maul

Looks like E2 is keeping the level design a bit better than E1 and more consistent. This level is on par mapping wise as the previous.. maybe even a bit more ambitious in its scale.

The level takes place in a city where there's a cinema, post office (that is sort of like a bank?) and some construction/destruction buildings. In the level you have to hit all the dip switches located in each of the individual theaters in the cinema. There's also keys to be found but they aren't too hard to find. One requires taking a dip in the water fountain outside the cinema, one is upstairs in some storage room, and the other is in the post office. Once you have all the dip switches hit and have the key to open the demo building, you blow up the building in front of the cinema to reveal a Nuke button in its rubble.

There's a nasty trap in one of the bathroom doors if you don't come in through the vent. Also, the crack in the wall of the other bathroom, make sure to not be in the room when it blows up.

All in all, not bad. A little bland again and the scale of everything is rather large which causes you to take longer getting from point A to point B. None of the puzzles are head scratchers or hard to find what to do next. Theme stays consistent without any really random locations that don't fit the map. Also, I finally used the expander's replacement weapon which is the radiation gun and IT IS AWESOME. Enemies just blow up within a second and no blast damage from it either.

Rating: B-

This post has been edited by slacker1: 14 May 2024 - 12:13 PM

Your Apartment

Same old same old. Less supplies this time.

Big Guns

Well.. this was sort of a disappointment. The level is basically just one large warehouse where you have to flip switches in order to blow the building up. It wouldn't be so bad if the warehouse wasn't so sprawling with many areas looking exactly the same. There's an incredible amount of health and ammo. There's also a good amount of enemies but besides being annoying due to them hiding in the dark they really weren't a problem.

There's a couple of secrets. One gives you access you full ammo, weapons, and items. Thankfully that one is pretty easy to find.

I feel like I might have missed part of the level in a secret area? I opened the F3 teleport and was able to teleport back to the start from there and blow the warehouse up. I feel like there was a whole other locked section that I missed. Oh well, the level wasn't really fun enough to warrant staying longer than needed.

Rating: D+

Final Confrontation

Hey! E2 actually has a boss ending! Neat!

The final boss is the FAJ's robot they've been working on (or something). It's stationary from what I can tell as well. The level is just a hi-tech style circle arena (no height changes) with a bunch of items and health on the floor with the boss in the middle. He spams rockets pretty quick but circle strafing with the devastator took him out in a few seconds. Really easy boss but I'm glad there at least was one.

I also missed that this TC was from September 1997 in the original post for this month and just I saw © 1997 on the E2 end screen! So I guess the level design isn't that bad considering how early the TC was...

Anyway, filler boss level. Nothing special at all but gives closure to E2's story.

Woo! And that completes Merc 1! On to Merc 2...

Merc 2

This was sort of a pain to get running being on Linux. Usually I just use Dosbox to extract these into the individual files and such but the merc2 without the patch I think didn't even have a .bat file to run, just a Windows launcher. The patch does though... anyway, I ended up spinning up a Windows XP VM and running the installer and the patch. I then zipped everything up and copied it back to my computer.

I'm running with: eduke32 /x merc2.con /g m211.grp /g merc2.grp

Attached is the zip I made that has the installed merc2 with the patch so you don't have to deal with the installers and such if you're using eduke like me.

E1: Enforced Judgement

Your Apartment

Oooh! Right off the bat, this is definitely an upgrade from Merc 1. It's the same apartment and building but it's been touched up a bit with lighting and such. Also some more duke talk. Nice. Same idea as Merc 1, looks like this is a hub map. The out of order elevator at the end of the hall has been replaced with another hallway to a secret jetpack and atomic health. No rating here but I'm liking things so far.

Slum Dynasty

Nice! This confirms that this is definitely an improvement over Merc 1. The level design is still a bit wonky in spots but overall it's not bad. There's a good amount of lighting and I feel like every room had a functional light switch.

As the name suggests, it takes place in a slum like city area where there's a Duke Burger, office building, bar and apartment building. You hop from one building to the next getting the key to the next area. There's a fun little Bevis and Butthead secret as well. One thing I wasn't crazy about is the return of random keys and switches in hidden random spots. Like the first key (disk) is in a garbage in the back room of the Duke Burger, the switch to open the bar is hidden on the side of the filing cabinet in an office that's not easy to see unless you're looking for it.

There's also random pedestrians that walk around and a few new enemies as well as the return of some old ones. The flame thrower guy is pretty cool.

Rating: B

Your Apartment

Back to the ol' apartment for supplies and briefing before heading out again...

Air Raid

This one takes place at an air base though it's hard to tell by the looks of it. The level is a bit disjointed in locations. For example, at the beginning you start in a warehouse room, go through an apartment to another warehouse. Later in the level there's a futuristic looking office section that is connected to a run down apartment via a curtained door. There's also a good amount of vent wandering to be done. The level itself looks pretty decent though.

One thing I didn't like was the necessary fall damage (I guess you could use the jetpack if you knew what was coming) when you exit the one vent. Even more so because you fall into an ambush and then you have to backtrack all the way there again if you forgot to put the disk in the computer in the futuristic office room (double fall damage). The next level also starts with you taking mandatory fall damage at the beginning...

On the flip side, the expander's replacement is now called the 'disintegrator' or something. It works the same as Merc 1 but instead of blowing up the enemies fade out of existence. Really cool.

All in all, even though it didn't really manage to stay on theme regarding locale, it was a pretty fun level to play.

Attached File(s)

High Stakes

Wow! This is a GOOD LEVEL! It looks great, its layout is really nicely interconnected, and everything makes sense. I feel like it would even stand on its own as a stand alone map. There's only two gotchas that might cause some time to be wasted. There's a second story window that needs to be blown out in order to gain entry to the casino but it's hard to see because its so dark it looks like the regular building texture. Also, if you died and no longer have a jetpack, it's impossible to get out of the lower level where you turn the power back on. Other than one other switch I noticed I could flip from outside the window, it's a really solid level.

The level takes place on the streets outside and inside a casino. There's also a EDF base as well that you travel into. When you first get into the casino, it's pitch black (hopefully you still have night vision). As stated previously, you have to go into the basement and turn the power back on. After that, it's a bunch of switch flipping and key card grabbing events that aren't hard to follow what goes where. There's even a CCTV screen to show you at one point what switch needs to be flipped which is nice.

All in all, I really liked this level. It's a bit dark but it takes place at night no that's understandable. The mapping quality is much better than the previous levels so far.

Rating: A

Lab Rats

Another very nice looking level. This one takes place (as you can guess) in an underground laboratory of sorts. I say 'sorts' because I don't think I actually encountered any actual lab rooms but the level does read as 'underground lab'.

Being an underground lab, fighting can be tough as there's not a lot of breathing room with the room sizes. Sections are connected together via locked doors that you need to collect keys or flip switches to unlock. Getting from place to place in spots is done by going down small little underground rivers. At one point, I think you fight the boss from Merc 1? I'm not really sure. He was in a doorway and I took him out pretty quickly but it was a totally different enemy than I had seen previously. At the end of the level you get back up to the surface by the parking lot and blow the place up via a switch. (Why would there be a self destruct switch there? idk... but it works)

Turrets are sort of plentiful in the level. I don't really like them but they make perfect sense being there.

Another solid level to finish off the episode.

Rating: B+

Oh! I almost forgot to mention, after you beat the level there's a small little car chase video that plays before the end of episode text. I wasn't expecting that. Nice work there.

On to E2: In Pursuit...

E2: In Pursuit

Your Apartment
Same as previous times. Get the disk and supplies and head out. One difference here is that there was actually a bad guy outside the door. Don't miss getting the rocket launcher... it makes the start of the next level much easier. The computer screen makes mention of going back to the drug base from Merc 1... ugh... I hope that got a facelift.

Cavern of Despair
What a start. Right off the bat your ambushed and will die quick if you don't run and gun before even hitting the ground.

This level takes place in a mine/cave system. It's super cramped in spots and there's a bunch of walls to blow up. It's also not very pretty to look at... or really play for that matter. I feel like there's a way to get soft locked here if you run out of explosives but I had enough to get through. Not a great start to E2. The end of the level seems to have you entering some sort of base. Thankfully this level is pretty short.

Rating: D

Zero Tolerance

Well... here we are in the base we entered in the previous level. Goal here is to free the hostages from deep in the base (though you never actually open the cells from what I experienced...)

Definitely a better looking level than the previous but not really by much. There are some cool set pieces though. The outdoor cliff drop section was pretty neat even if the rocket dudes spamming rockets everywhere can make it a bit of a headache. The level overall has that Merc 1 disjointed feel where it seems like the mapper wasn't exactly sure where he wanted to go next with the map or what areas to include. The end section by the hostages is super plain and undetailed whereas the cliff drop section mentioned earlier looks pretty good.

It just felt like the mapper was running out of ideas which I guess is no surprise seeing that the story of E2 is basically 'revisit Merc 1'. I feel like if the scale of the level was shrunk down a bit, it wouldn't have felt so aimless.

Random helpful note: Make sure to drop down in the first outdoor pit. It has a jetpack there that makes the next section bearable.

I'm a little bummed with E2 so far and I think I must be at least half way through now... hopefully the end levels get better.

Edit: I took a quick look at the Duke Match levels in E3. I'm not going to bother reviewing each of them at least half are Merc 1 levels with no enemies. The other new ones are pretty poor quality with a lot of tight rooms and/or very large in scale. The first one is a very plain looking corporate office with elevators. There's a ton of floors and the elevators take you to random floors like a puzzle. I feel like playing even with four people would be a chore just finding them in that maze. The mid-evil level is also very maze like though looks a bit better. There's also a base level with force fields protecting each corner base that has a decent open area. I wasn't able to find a switch to turn off the other player's force field so if they decide to lock themselves in their base, you can't actually get to them.

TL;DR don't bother with the death match levels included.

This post has been edited by slacker1: 22 May 2024 - 07:51 AM

Hey Slacker1, thank you very much for joining and keeping the topic alive. It seems this month was quite inactive and I apologize for my absence, I had a very busy month as well. But I will still try to contribute to the topic in the last couple days remaining. I have never played the TC before and I decided earlier this week to go through Merc quickly. Finished the TC in just two days (one episode per day). As usual, I played Duke3D v1.5 on CGS difficulty (all kills and secrets, continuous with saves, keyboard only controls) in DOSBox 0.74-3.

Before I begin, let's clarify some things about the TC:
1) It appears that various mappers have contributed to the project, as you can see from the mappers' signatures when viewing the maps in Mapster.
2) Besides the Apartment levels and the Final Boss level, Suburban Slaughter is the only map without difficulty settings implemented, which means Piece of Cake, Let's Rock and Come Get Some are identical in terms of gameplay (same enemy count, same damage taken), while Damn I'm Good means respawning enemies. However, most other levels implement difficulty settings properly, even going as far as adding extra enemies and items only available for Damn I'm Good. Though I recommend playing on CGS for an overall fun experience.
3) Some secrets seem to be unreachable in Suburban Slaughter, as you will see shortly why.
4) Strippers add to kills when killed but they don't count as actual enemies from what I can tell. I'm pretty sure in original game it didn't matter if you killed strippers or not but usually they spawned extra monsters, this seems to be absent here because I did not notice a single spawned enemy upon killing the ladies.
5) Trash bags have a small chance to spawn a Large Medkit when destroyed.
6) Assault Trooper replacement possibly uses LameDuke sprites and uses the Corvus (Main Character) sounds from the video game Heretic. The constant "ha-ha" is the sound where player picks up a weapon and the death sound is...well, the player's death sound in that game (same death sound was later used as Cleric class in Hexen). Yes, the sounds get stale after a while. And now he fires a low damaging hitscan attack, though never drops ammo when killed (can still occasionally play dead though).
7) Pig Cop replacement (Rocket Guy) also uses LameDuke sprites but sounds seem to be borrowed from the Redneck Rampage's shotgun guy (at least when he notices you). As you can tell from the name, he launches rockets (same damage as a Commander's rocket) and although he no longer drops used shotgun, he still rarely drops used armor that can give 50 or 75 points, which is very helpful when you are running short on armor.
8) Enforcer replacement (Black Suit Guy) probably uses sprites from Tekwar but I'm not fully sure about that. Their attacks are a bit more damaging but they no longer drop weapon/ammo when killed.
9) Some weapons are changed/replaced (weapons 2, 4, 7 and 10).
10) Pistol is now replaced by MP5K, which you often saw in many other Duke mods/TCs (was also released separately as a mod), don't know if it does extra damage but it seems like the ammo is scarcer due to lack of ammo dropped by enemies, so use it wisely, mostly for sniping enemies from far away.
11) Chaingun is now Minigun, seems to be the result of mixing the Duke Chaingun with Doom Chaingun, plus the ammo pickup gives 75 and max ammo capacity is increased to 300.
12) Shrinker/Expander is now Electricity/Radiation Gun. As usual, press 7 twice to toggle between the fire modes. I believe sprites are from Tekwar with Duke hands added to them. The Radiation Gun seems to also have much higher ammo capacity (100 instead of 50).
13) Freezethrower is now Flamethrower. New sprite looks kinda ugly but it does damn good damage and kills enemies quickly. Max ammo capacity is also increased to 150.
14) There is a pre-installed version of Merc 2 that I should have linked in the first post: https://www.gamers.o.../merc2/m2md.zip

Here's the review of Merc 1 Episode 1!

FATAL REALITY

Your Apartment

First map begins in a nice small apartment. The objective here is to insert the Blue Disk, look at the monitor to see the mission description (message is quite unreadable at default resolution of 320x200), collect a bunch of goodies and exit the apartment.

There is one secret you can find: Near the TV, look on the left speaker and press a switch to open a nearby compartment. Press on the shelf to reveal Minigun + ammo.

Additionally, exploring the apartment gives you more weapons, armor and jetpack. So be sure to fully explore before exiting. A nice little intro map.

Suburban Slaughter

A city map that is a little bit complex, so be sure to explore.

One thing I appreciate at these maps is that the authors made sure the player won't get softlocked, so there are Jetpacks added at various points you drop down. You should already have a Jetpack collected from the first level but the extra Jetpacks are appreciated when going to explore further.

Although difficulty settings aren't implemented in this map, the difficulty is fine here, not too hard and not too easy either. Health pickups are a bit scarce (I only spotted like three large medkits) and I haven't seen a single armor pickup but with armor from previous level, it's no problem and once you find the bathroom, you can use the toilets to recover health when needed. Most of the time I spent with around 75 health/armor, so it wasn't that big of an issue but I still occasionally retreated to the bathroom when I couldn't find a medkit to restore health.

Sadly, I died once when I fell down the elevator shaft and randomly got squished due a stupid glitch. But wait, that's not the only annoying thing that happened. There are also two unreachable secrets in this map as well, as you will see below.

Secrets:
1) On the streets, fly with the Jetpack inside one of the windows to collect Electricity/Radiation Gun, 3x Radiation Ammo and Atomic Health.
2) On the subway, look for a hidden switch on a Cola Machine. Unfortunately, kicking/pressing the switch does nothing. It was supposed to reveal a nearby compartment but the door lacks the "Ceiling Door" tag, therefore the window doesn't open and secret is impossible to get without noclip. Secret would have contained: Portable Medkit, Armor, Shotgun and RPG.
3) At the end of the level, inside the Duke's Apartment, there is the same secret as the previous level but this time it contains nothing. Unfortunately, entering the room causes the level to end, so this empty secret is impossible to reach by any means.

Therefore, the maximum amount of secrets you can get in this map is 1/3. At least all 81 kills are possible to get.

Overall, this map was average but also quite disappointing due to not being able to access two secrets. I have a hard time to believe this wasn't noticed during testing. I can overlook "copy-pasting" the apartment and forgetting to remove the secret tag but why not make sure that subway secret also works properly? Oh and I think the apartment should have been enterable anyway.

As a fun fact, after using the final teleporter (point of no return), you can choose to exit the map by entering the apartment or by exiting the building. Both will lead you to the next level.

Compound of Death

This map definitely feels like Duke Zone at times and quite average, nothing special but also has some painful moments, like the maze filled with lava where even tapping the jump button won't help much, since you are walking on liquid surfaces which still drains your boots/health occasionally but nonetheless, it is essential to your survival, otherwise the lava will drain your boots/health quickly if you are walking on it.

On the bright side, you can find a few hidden goodies inside the lava, including ammo, armor, boots, health, etc. And using the Jetpack can also help to navigate the area but I recommend conserving the fuel just in case. Be sure to also find two secret areas inside the lava maze, though one of them just teleports you to the mapper's signature (no reward and quite pointless secret, it only helps you get 100% completion).

There is a point of no return when you take down an elevator near beginning, as there is an invisible wall which prevents backtracking...at least until the last parts of the map, so once you find the crack, you can return to the starting area and go back and collect armor and other stuff, as you may have wondered why you are given THREE armor pickups early on the map that you will not need right away.

Either way I appreciate you get the option to backtrack, especially with the help of Jetpack which can help you return to earlier areas after you dropped down the conveyor belt room. I'm also not sure what's with the progression, it ends with a Nuke Button and then you're suddenly inside the Apartment. As Slacker1 said, I suspect it's because there are multiple level designers involved. And looking up in Mapster, it seems to confirm that due to different signatures in some levels, while others have no signature at all.

Secrets:
1) At the beginning, in the large area with cacti, fly with the Jetpack on that opening and on your way down, you will find Atomic Health, Armor, Steroids, 3x Small Medkit and a bunch of enemies. The secret can also be reached later in the map by blowing up a crack and lets you backtrack to the beginning.
2) At the beginning, go behind the building to find a RPG sitting on a pedestal.
3) Inside the lava maze, there is a path that eventually leads to a room filled with barrels, Atomic Health, as well as Electricity Gun and 5x Radiation Gun Ammo.
4) Inside the lava maze, there is an unmarked wall you can open. It contains a teleporter that leads you to a small empty F-shaped room. There is no reward upon finding this secret.
5) Towards the end of the level, you will reach a large area filled with water and a moving boat. Go to the corner and fly with the Jetpack to find an Atomic Health.

In the end, the level was meh. Not as bad as I thought but still nothing groundbreaking.

Your Apartment

Back to your apartment. Restock on supplies and move on to the next mission.

The secret is same as before but this time it contains a couple more goodies: Minigun with ammo (same as before) and Electricity Gun with ammo.

Drug Bust

Level filename is DRUGRAID.MAP, so the map may have been meant to be called Drug Raid at some point during the development.

Although the map works fine in plain Duke3D v1.5 in DOSBox 0.74-3, the weird thing is that loading the map in Mapster32 seems to crash the program. I have absolutely no idea WHY this even happens but the map seems to be corrupted and Mapster re-saves it as DRUGRAID_crash.map, so when I look up this modified map, it seems like the walls are dark and stuff randomly re-arranged in the map, it was difficult to look up the last two secrets (I only found one by myself, which was the one in the bathroom). And even then, Mapster can still crash when looking at the re-saved map.

Anyway, the level is indeed inspired by The Abyss and it's not too difficult to make your way to the level, with two small exceptions. I had more trouble looking for that last enemy, could have sworn I had found the two missing enemies and when I saved in front of exit, I saw one enemy missing again, probably that damn haha guy played dead again and I didn't notice. Ended up backtracking and finally found him after 10 minutes or so of searching.

There are two points that can get you easily stuck and I found the solutions mentioned in the Addon Compilation's readme_hints.txt file (only in the Pre-Release 4.00 version of the compilation).
1) The first point is that there is a hint that tells you to blow up some TREES in order to access the Blue Disk. Slacker1 mentioned trying to blow up the motorcycle but that's not the intended solution and it's too bad he had to NOCLIP through the map, as it wasn't bugged at all. Seriously, you just blow up the trees with Pipebombs or Devastator or whatever and collect the blue key, no cheating required.
2) The second point is that later in the map, there is a SEVEN SWITCH puzzle! I got stuck here trying to solve the puzzle and looked up that hint file, the correct solution is to press four switches (2, 3, 6 and 7), this will unlock reactor room, which eventually leads to the exit.

Secrets:
1) At the beginning, after making through the sewers, use the jetpack and fly on the right side. You will arrive in a small cavern containing a few enemies, as well as Atomic Health and Shotgun. Now go through a fake wall and continue walking until you find a room filled with many goodies, including another Jetpack and weapons/ammo.
2) In front of the IMF Drug Facility, go to the corner in your right and go through a fake wall to find a Jetpack and 2x boxes of Pipebombs.
3) Inside the bathroom, look for a really tiny switch. Press/Shoot it to open a nearby compartment containing Portable Medkit and a box of Pipebombs.

Oh and at the end, Duke gets captured. If playing continuously, it is absolutely recommended to finish with 200 health, since next level starts you weaponless and it is quite tough to survive no matter what. Health is the only thing that transfers in this case, so you don't need to be resourceful with everything else because you end up losing everything anyway.

Overall, the level was average towards okay.

The Rock

Duke has to escape from prison and make his way to the end of the first episode. This won't be an easy task, since he starts weaponless.

There is a slight confusing progression (again I had to look up that hints file to see how to find the Blue Disk, which you had to Jetpack inside a vent) but also the level has significant lack of health/armor.

Even if I started the level with 200 health, I was down to 70 something by the time I got to the jail parts and while I did manage to get one lucky 75 armor drop, I still suffered at later parts of the map. Now, there are TWO Atomic Healths, one Portable Medkit and one Armor you can find in the map but outside of these, there aren't ANY other health pickups, at least until the very last room which contains many toilets that can be used to refill the health.

I'm not ashamed to admit I died plenty of times and I save-scummed with low health to get past the level because I saved those health pickups for the supposed boss fight at the end but this also made me start using the Flamethrower which kills enemies in like 2-3 hits. I was running short on ammo for the first three weapons, so I decided to use the bigger weapons and Flamethrower seemed the best pick.

Anyway, once you fly to a bathroom, you will find plenty of toilets to refill the health and expect a boss fight, right? Well, you kill a few Rocket Guys, refill your health, insert the Yellow Card near the Nuke Button to blow up the boss off-screen and then the episode ends. That's it, you don't have to do anything else. But hey, at least you get a new ending screen (no actual cutscene, just modified E1 screen), so props for that, I guess. Oh and there are no secrets to find.

Overall, I disliked this level due to scarcity of health and mediocre design. If I had known there is no proper boss (the Battlelord dies off-screen from the explosions generated where he is located in a box), I would have used the Medkit and the Atomic Health much earlier, so then I wouldn't have struggled with health that much.

Even though I had started with 200 health and got that used armor, I can't imagine how the level would have played with just 100 health and not getting an "early" armor from one of the Rocket Guys. Really could have used a few Large Medkits placed in some places because there were parts I couldn't avoid the damage and from what I noticed, the guys in black suits do slightly more damage than an Enforcer, plus some places had enemies ambushing you around corners and it was difficult to minimize the damage.

Although this doesn't affect 100% completion, there are two unreachable pickups: a box of pipebombs (near three shootable switches) and minigun ammo (located on a shelf, impossible to jump on top of it). Though ammo isn't that much of an issue if you use the bigger guns but I just felt like noting these mapping errors.

In the end, the first episode of MERC turned out a bit on the mediocre side, with some good parts, some annoying parts and a miserable final level. Hopefully the second episode is better. :)

For some reason the attachments/screenshots are not showing up. Probably because as of lately, there seems to be an error often showing up when making a post.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 23 May 2024 - 01:40 AM

Nice review! Always fun to read other people's take on these levels. It's interesting we had almost opposite opinions on 'The Rock'. I wonder if it's because I was playing on Let's Rock instead of Come Get Some?

View PostFistMarine, on 23 May 2024 - 01:38 AM, said:

1) The first point is that there is a hint that tells you to blow up some TREES in order to access the Blue Disk. Slacker1 mentioned trying to blow up the motorcycle but that's not the intended solution and it's too bad he had to NOCLIP through the map, as it wasn't bugged at all. Seriously, you just blow up the trees with Pipebombs or Devastator or whatever and collect the blue key, no cheating required.

I had to go back and check this out!

I loaded it up in eduke and searched the whole level and blew up every tree and cactus and couldn't find it. There are two bugged sprites outside the sewer exit at the start so I thought maybe the blue key was bugged too in eduke given the map crashes mapster. I loaded it up in the plain old DOS version and checked. The two bugged sprites weren't there at the start which was interesting. I STILL couldn't find the key. It was just dumb luck I was turning around in one of those tight rock corners where I blew up a small group of trees/bushes that I saw it out of the corner of my eye. It's hidden in a little 'V' shaped spot you can only see from turning around where the trees were. I went back to eduke and, sure enough, it was there too.

Thanks for helping me find it. I'm glad to know the map is in fact beatable without cheating.

Nice review! Always fun to read other people's take on these levels. It's interesting we had almost opposite opinions on 'The Rock'. I wonder if it's because I was playing on Let's Rock instead of Come Get Some?

Thanks man. I also enjoy reading other people's posts on many games/mods I play. And since I had never played these TCs before, I had to check them out and share my opinion as well.

I took a look at the ROCK.MAP in mapster, it seems like there is a significant difference between the skill levels, so I guess Let's Rock was a more relaxing experience. There are a couple enemies without any tags applied to them (these ones are present on all skills) but also a couple enemies tagged for skills 2, 3 and even 4. If CGS was quite frustrating, I can't imagine how the map would have been on DIG, if the enemies still respawned like vanilla Duke3D. :P

Thanks for helping me find it. I'm glad to know the map is in fact beatable without cheating.

No problem, glad to have helped. And yeah I should have specified you blow up the trees near the place you find that hint. I think the hint should have said "BLOW 'EM UP" in first place, then it wouldn't create any confusion. Though I'm more confused by why Mapster crashes when loading this map.

Anyway, I looked up to my attachments uploaded yesterday and it appears they were deleted in the meantime. Too bad about that, I guess that key error that started to appear as of lately erased my attachments, even if the pictures were uploaded successfully yesterday while I was finishing up my review. I guess I will re-upload the pictures now and post them right here, there were only 7 of them (one for each level and the E1 ending picture). Here they are:
Attached Image: MERC_APARTM1.pngAttached Image: MERC_SUBSLAT.pngAttached Image: MERC_COMOFD.png
Attached Image: MERC_APARTM2.pngAttached Image: MERC_DRUGRAID.pngAttached Image: MERC_ROCK.png
Attached Image: MERC_E1_END.png

Now here is the E2 review and nominations for next month, since we are one week away from the end of the month. ;)

INTO THE CITY

Your Apartment

Once again, we begin inside the Duke's apartment. Grab the stuff to prepare for the next mission.

Secret is the same as before. This time it contains a Flamethrower with some extra ammo.

In The Gutter

Nice city styled map that starts inside a bowling alley. Gameplay is quite challenging at times but there's plenty of health to be found if you look carefully (if not, you can always drink from one of the water sources that you can find) and if you are lucky, you can get multiple armor pickups dropped by the rocket guys.

Progression can be a bit strange at times, as you need to look for multiple access disks and the switches you need to insert them to.

The Red Disk that is inserted at the Duke News, unlocks a nearby door that was already unlocked earlier, as you pick up a Yellow Disk behind that door. Not sure why the progression is strange but at least it has no side effect on the gameplay, so level can be completed normally.

I was able to find nearly half of secrets just by myself and then found the rest with help of Mapster.

Secrets:
1) At the very beginning, press on the right wall to find a hidden room containing Minigun and 3x ammo. Watch out for the hiding Rocket Guy!
2) Near the entrance of the Bowl-O-Rama, there is a hidden vent you can access which eventually leads to an Atomic Health.
3) Near the cola machine where you can collect the Blue Disk, there is a wall you can press and reach a place that contains NOTHING!
4) At the cinema, jump through the HOT poster to collect a RPG.
5) Jump behind the mailboxes to find a fake wall containing a box of Pipebombs in the right side. Then go to left side to find a hidden elevator containing Minigun, Large Medkit and NVGs.
6) Inside the strip club, there is a fake wall you can go through to collect a Shotgun.
7) Before reaching the corridor with the rotating pillar and the reactor, go through the white wall to find an Electric Gun.
8) Near the secret above, jump through the MELTDOWN monitor to find RPG ammo.
9) When collecting the Blue Disk inside the bathroom, open the cupboard and go through until you find a Trip Bomb (weapon).

Overall, a noticeable improvement over the first episode, although suffers from height variation and slightly confusing progression. Hope the rest of the second episode keeps up the same quality.

Matinee Maul

Another interesting city map, including locations like a cinema and a post office. The interiors of the cinema actually reminded me more of Chex Quest 2's cinema level, not sure why but I found the layout more similar to said game rather than Duke3D's first level.

Oh yeah and be careful at the various trip mine/explosion traps in this level. As Slacker1 has said, there are a few nasty traps but I was lucky I survived that explosion in bathroom thanks to having plenty of health. And much like previous level, I had a few moments I was running a little short on health but I was able to make it without dying.

I also did much better at secret hunting than previous level, as I found 7 secrets by myself, the rest two had to look up Mapster and turned out to be the last ones in order as well. :P

Only problem is I didn't realize there were only three Atomic Healths available on CGS (there's a few more on DIG), so I picked up two of them at some point and when I was backtracking for grabbing all stuff before exiting, I only found one more remaining and finished with 150 health (I tend to finish levels with 200 health, to have a much easier time in next level). Still good to have some extra health for the next level.

Secrets:
1) Near the cinema entrance, there is a crack you can blow up. Inside, you can find two guys in suits, as well as Armor and Steroids.
2) Inside the sewers, there is a crack you can blow up. Inside, you can find a Portable Medkit.
3) Inside the bathroom, there is a crack you can blow up. Inside, you can find 3x Radiation ammo.
4) Inside the cinema halls, there is a Fire Extinguisher. Blow it up to reveal an Atomic Health.
5) Near the post office, there are many water fountains. Dive in the water (make sure you have a Scuba Gear) and go along the long underwater tunnel. Eventually, you will reach a small cave with some sharks. Kill them and resurface to find 2x Small Medkits and Devastator with extra ammo.
6) Near the post office, there is a pillar you can blow up. Inside you can find 2x Electric Gun ammo.
7) Inside the post office, after opening the safe, there is a big crack. Blow it up to access a shortcut to the main street and collect 2x RPG ammo.
8) Inside the cinema, go through the BYTE-NYTE poster and collect 2x Shotgun ammo and Flamethrower ammo.
9) Near the cinema entrance and first secret, blow up one of the ATM machines and jump inside to collect Shotgun ammo.

Overall, this was another nice level and I especially enjoyed blowing up that building towards the end.

Your Apartment

Back to the apartment and the last of the Apartment maps in this mod/TC. Grab the goodies and prepare for the last level before the boss fight.

Secret is same as before but this time it contains a non-usable RPG from LameDuke and some Radiation Gun ammo. Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned but some of the maps contain this RPG pickup that you can't use. I don't understand why is this non-functional weapon included anyway. But according to the sprite it replaces, it replaces the Expander pickup which was also non-functional in original game, so most likely this pickup was a mistake and mapper should have put Electric Gun.

Big Guns

The penultimate map is quite challenging at times as I actually died three times, mostly because of those damn pig tanks that decided to turn around while I was getting behind them and lost a lot of health but I also got killed by lightning and a rocket guy because I was low on health early on. Yeah, I managed to lose all that health from the first couple of enemies, damn it. This actually confirms the pistol replacement does more damage overall, if the hitscanners also do slightly more damage.

However, don't get discouraged by some annoying parts because this level contains TONS of health, ammo and armor pickups. You can find some very rewarding secrets inside the building, plus the occasional cluster with Atomic Health, medkits or containers filled with many weapon pickups. And if you managed to find the Super Secret, you will pretty much finish the level with Full Everything and ready to destroy the final boss. I found most secrets by myself, I think only two I had to look in Mapster to find.

Oh and one of the doors towards the end is glitched, when you open it, you can see the brick texture from one side but you can still walk through the door normally. And also, if you wish to backtrack, upon teleporting to the room with big switch, DON'T press it until you are fully ready. Once you press it, the previous teleporter is blocked and the exit teleporter is now opened. Afterwards, step into the exit and prepare for the final level!

Secrets:
1, 2, 5 and 6 just require you to blow up cracks inside the warehouses and collect a whole bunch of atomic health/weapons contained inside the boxes.
3) Near beginning, blow up the crack in front of XXX-Stacy's Video Productions to access a room with a dead guy. There is a shelf you can open to reveal Shotgun with lots of extra ammo.
4) After taking teleporter #2, there is the second warehouse which contains a few secrets but one of the harder ones requires you to jump on an invisible glass and then go through the fake wall to collect 4x Atomic Health, Armor, Portable Medkit.
7) Inside the first warehouse, go to the top of the boxes and look for a bright wall. Open it to access a secret room containing Shotgun with extra ammo, Armor and Portable Medkit.
8) Inside the first warehouse, there is a conveyor belt and a box of Pipebombs. All you have to do is throw a pipebomb on it and wait a few seconds, then detonate it when you are sure it reached the other room. The walls will be broken and will let you access a room containing LOTS OF STUFF: all weapons with lots of ammo, many health pickups, armor and a couple inventory items.

Overall, the level was a bit annoying and bland and doesn't seem to have put much effort into difficulty settings (only difference seems to be the pig cop tanks, more of them appear on higher skills) but had some cool stuff going on, especially the explosions at the very end and the setup required to get that Super Secret, seeing as other 2000s mappers have used similar setups involving puzzles with Pipebombs. Plus the difficulty of the level is mostly trivialized by the very rewarding secrets, so the frustrating moments don't last long.

Final Confrontation

Short boss fight against a Giant Robot that replaces Cycloid Emperor. Just circle strafe with the Devastator and you will easily win. That's all.

Oh and much like E1, there is no new cutscene but instead there is a cool new ending graphic with Duke standing near the defeated robot.

Here are the E2 screenshots (including the E2 ending screen and the exit screen when quitting the game).
Attached Image: MERC_APARTM3.pngAttached Image: MERC_BOWL.pngAttached Image: MERC_MATINEE.png
Attached Image: MERC_APARTM4.pngAttached Image: MERC_BIG_GUNS.pngAttached Image: MERC_BOSS.png
Attached Image: MERC_E2_END.pngAttached Image: MERC_END.png

In the end, the second episode of MERC is a slight improvement over the first one. I appreciate what the authors have done with this TC, it shows signs of greatness and plenty of creative ideas. I especially like how you get new ending screens, that's appreciated because most other TCs just leave the original Duke cutscenes/ending screens intact.

But much like many other Duke3d TCs released in late 90s, they haven't aged very well, as the level design shows at times and many maps feel like the typical user maps quality you downloaded back then. Though the maps themselves are slightly above average in terms of quality, at least most of them are, that's for sure.

While I was initially disappointed with the first proper level having two unreachable secrets, I was surprised to see the rest of the mod does not have such bugs, so you can get all kills and secrets without any problem. It is quite common for TCs to have a bugged level where it cannot be 100%'ed but I also understand back in the day most people didn't bother going for 100% completion.

Unfortunately, there are also many other bugs, glitches and mapping errors, such as the new enemies sprites sometimes changing to old aliens (this only happened towards the end and only some frames looked like they weren't replaced properly), wrong RPG pickup included at times or the occasional brick texture appearing in some places, at least in the penultimate level with that glitched door. And probably more bugs I can't remember now.

At the end of the day, I recommend checking out the TC once just to see what it's about. I have hopes the sequel turns out much better and with less bugs, hopefully.

Also a fun note but it seems like Merc was finished/released just around same time as HeXeN II (on 4th September 1997, if we compare the date of the files).

I will play/review Merc 2 and Murder in the following week, hopefully can do everything in time before the end of the month.

In meantime, here are nominations for the next month:

Maps by Various Authors
NAM (Build Engine Game)

Maps by various authors consist of maps by Alan Page (3 maps), C3PO (5 maps), Daniel Aashage (5 maps), James Duncan (4 maps), Mike Beaulieu (3 maps). 20 maps in total so far. If people want, we can add Forge's maps (4 maps) into the mix as well, since they were proposed previously, so this means 24 maps in total. What are people's opinions on this choice? I just want to know before the month ends, so I can prepare the new topic on 31st May in case this wins, as I may be away in early June, so I want to have the new topic up just in case.

As for the second choice, NAM is a Build Engine Game released on June 1998. It was proposed a year or two ago and it didn't win, so I will nominate it again to spice things up, though it will most likely not win this time either, so in July I will have something else prepared in its place, mostly two other Duke3d TCs coupled together.

I am not voting just yet because I am not fully decided. There will be enough time to vote next week. As usual, you add a + next to your choice and highlight it in bold.

Have a nice weekend everyone! :)

EDIT: Looks like the screenshots are up this time. But I also had to reupload them once more because I got signed out once while I pressed submit and it seems like the attachments become unavailable. I guess the forum has now a timelimit and you get signed out automatically, so I will know from now on.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 24 May 2024 - 02:55 AM

User is offline   quakis 

View PostFistMarine, on 24 May 2024 - 02:46 AM, said:

In meantime, here are nominations for the next month:

++ Extend this months choices and carry over Murder/PyP into June, seeing as this month's thread has been on the quiet side and only Merc 1 & 2 have been covered so far as we near the end.

This might just be me but something else to consider; Should the per monthly choices be trimmed down a small bit, just to give more breathing room for playing/commenting? This month's full lineup was quite daunting (for me anyway) if you need time to play and write. Maybe something around the range of 1 map for every 2/3 days to play and comment within (roughly 10-15 maps total for the month). Thoughts?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postquakis, on 24 May 2024 - 05:17 AM, said:

++ Extend this months choices and carry over Murder/PyP into June, seeing as this month's thread has been on the quiet side and only Merc 1 & 2 have been covered so far as we near the end.

This might just be me but something else to consider; Should the per monthly choices be trimmed down a small bit, just to give more breathing room for playing/commenting? This month's full lineup was quite daunting (for me anyway) if you need time to play and write. Maybe something around the range of 1 map for every 2/3 days to play and comment within (roughly 10-15 maps total for the month). Thoughts?

^ this

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I feel it should be a bit more downscaled, yes. Personally, I like it most when the month covers a specific person's contributions instead of chunks of time or themes, but that's just me.

User is offline   JacketAU 

View PostDNSKILL5, on 24 May 2024 - 04:18 PM, said:

I feel it should be a bit more downscaled, yes. Personally, I like it most when the month covers a specific person's contributions instead of chunks of time or themes, but that's just me.

Personally I agree with this, it does sound like a more personalized and nice approach, especially considering this community is admittedly not huge, although it rightfully should be :P

I'd love to collaborate and be a part of this project and the community in general in the long term as well. Since joining the forums again I've seen some interesting projects mentioned and I hope to see plenty more creative endeavours!

User is offline   Aleks 

I agree with Quakis, would be nice to just extend this month's choices for another one as most stuff didn't really get covered anyway. Personally, I've been very busy with work stuff and didn't get much time to play - and when I did, I was finishing FMX4, as it felt weird to leave one episode out... I haven't played either MERC, but they've been sitting on my... various data devices for about 25 years, so it's high time for that I guess. However, I've played Murder earlier this year for the first time and must say I was positively impressed. I won't go into that much details, just skipped through the levels once again to better remind myself which was which and will comment more generally.

Introduction: This TC has a pretty elaborate story which is surprisingly decent and plays like an 80s action movie in a way. It's also one of the very few TCs where, instead of aliens/mutants/robots, Duke kills real people! The enemies are really well made, there's few variants of SWAT and armoured grunts with various guns (including one that shoots the octablast), a "nazi" looking officer that shoots green projectiles, Doom marine, RPG drones and a mech boss/miniboss. They can pack quite some heat too. There are also new guns, which are more "down to earth" than Duke's regular arsenal - pistol is replaced with an assault rifle, chaingun for a minigun, RPG for a grenade launcher, shrinker for a machine gun, devastator has new graphics and freezer for a flamethrower/lava thrower that apparently sets enemies into burning molten statues that shatter after a bit (apparently it also freezes the RPG drones). The level design is definitely another forte of the TC, as they are way above what you'd expect from something done in the 1998.

Scene of the Crime
The first level starts in an appartment/office that is ambushed by SWAT - and since your arsenal is still very limited and these guys pack quite some heat, the beginning might be quite difficulty and will require moving slowly and using various tactics. The level takes place in a city - which has a couple of typical locations (including an EDF warehouse where a protector drone is kept - only regular DN3D enemy present in the whole TC). The layout is quite good and the design is fine, but could use better shading. Mostly regular DN3D textures are used with only a few minor additions, like the SWAT van textures.

Rating: 76/100

Into the Sewer
Another city level that has a mall and some other locations. The sewer has some nasty traps that can one-hit kill you. It's slightly weaker than the first level.

Rating: 75/100

EDF Headquarters
Now this one is much better, we get a hang of all the guns here as Duke goes through some experimental labs and the design/architecture are definitely improved. The last room even has some fancy layered shadows! I like how the visual storytelling really picks up here as well.

Rating: 82/100

RUN!
This is just a very short level where we escape the burning, exploding and collapsing EDF base from the previous level. Nice idea, but it's all over below a single minute.

Rating: 71/100

Comm Station
Desert/military base kind of level. It starts over the destroyed base and takes us through various facilities, though tends to drag a bit towards the end.

Rating: 80/100

EDF Orbital Defense Network
This time, we go to space to disable some of the evil EDF's planetary weapons that could be used to benefit the alien invasion. It's probably the best level in the whole TC, with fast pacing and a strong "mission" sense. It's also quite challenging.

Rating: 84/100

Cliffs
We're back to Earth. The level takes us around, well, cliffs. It's layout reminds me a bit of the first part of Yukon Duke from The Gate, where we travel along some canyon. There are some really well designed sector helicopters right at the beginning that are probably the design highlight of the whole TC. The map is straightforward - maybe even too straightforward - and I'm not a big fan of the bunkers towards the end which seem a bit cramped/repetitive.

Rating: 82/100

Robotics Facility
Solid level which takes place in quite a large and open military/industrial plant. There seem to be more than just one way to get around as everything is strongly interconnected, just watch out not to wake too many enemies at once.

Rating: 81/100

Final Confrontion
Besides the error/typo in the title, it's a solid and very straightforward boss level where we just get to fight the boss - and it's quite a decent fight due to the boss being fairly tough and the nicely shaped surroundings.

Rating: 80/100

There are also 4 DM levels, two of which also include enemies. Msquad.map is quite heavily populated, mostly with Doom marines, and could be decent for a DM spiced up with monsters, but it doesn't seem to have any reasonable progression/ending. Mines.map is fully playable in SP and probably wouldn't really work in DM, but it's also a very weak map so it's understandable it was left out of the main episode as it would be significantly sub-par to the rest of the levels.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have thought about this for a while and decided to reconsider my choices. I agree that this month was too much, although I have stated in the OP that Pray Your Prayers shouldn't be covered this month but looks like even Murder: The EDF Conspiracy was a bit too much in the end.

Not to mention that I haven't played any of these TCs before (though I have read their review at MSDN), so I had no idea how lengthy they are and if Merc 2 was actually a remake of the first one or just a sequel. But now I know, at the very least. And I agree it's better to mix up the maps/mods by themes, in this case Merc 1 & Merc 2 should have been the choices for this month.

Therefore, I took feedback very seriously and I have decided to make the following changes:
1) This month ONLY covers Merc: Fatal Reality and Merc 2, so hopefully the time is more reasonable.
2) Next month ONLY covers Murder: The EDF Conspiracy and Pray Your Prayers 2000.
3) NAM disappears from the nominations list, as it wasn't going to win anyway and don't want to make this a joke nomination.
4) Instead of NAM, I will nominate two other early 2000s TCs into July (won't spoil the nominations though).
5) Maps by various authors is now a nomination for July. Whether it will focus on less mappers (about 15 maps), we will find out next month when the nominations for July will come.
6) Nominations should be shorter from now on, about 15-20 maps at most instead of 25-30, so that it can give players enough time to catch up if they fall behind.

The only thing that hasn't been decided yet is if there will be a new topic (June 2024) hosted in next couple days or continuing the discussion here in this topic. I propose to start a new topic as usual but people are free to continue posting into this one, especially if they want to play Merc & Merc 2. I will also extend the current topic's duration until next Monday.

Hope everyone is fine with this. And I'm sorry if this month was disappointing, I should have known better. I appreciate all the feedback so far. :)

Anyway, here is a short review of Merc 2 Episode 1. Same settings as before: Duke3D v1.5 in DOSBox 0.74-3, CGS 100%, Keyboard Only, continuous with saves.

I have played the initial release of Merc 2, not the patched version 1.1. Some of the experience may be different compared to the patched/updated version. At the moment of writing, I have finished the two main episodes but I haven't yet explored the extra episode with the DM levels. They will be covered later this week.

In case I haven't mentioned before, both MERC & MERC2 feature a cool new intro, as well as plenty of new artwork (some borrowed from other games/mods at the time). Merc features three demos that desync but Merc 2 features three new demos that don't even play. I am not quite sure why they don't play but I suspect Merc 2's demos were recorded in Duke3D v1.4 and this causes the demos to not load if played in Duke3D v1.5, you just get straight to the main menu without any demos playing in the background. I refuse to believe that they used an older version of Duke3D Atomic while playtesting Merc 2. :D

Leaving that aside, Merc 2 is much more ambitious, as it now features even more enemies (haha guys no longer appear), all new/replaced weapons, brand new cutscenes, a new status bar (looks similar to the one in The Gate), a new font, THREE new episodes (two SP and one DM), renamed difficulties (I played on third difficulty which is called Make My Day) and of course, the overall difficulty is much higher! Don't say I didn't warn you! ;)

ENFORCED JUDGEMENT

Your Apartment

Back to Duke's apartment from Merc 1. This time it looks slightly better and there are even more secrets to uncover! Though something to note is that these apartment maps and even the next level have some extra sectors marked as secrets. You just need to jump and walk around on the shelf to register them all. You will see exactly what I mean in next level which has many secrets located in the same room. Also make sure to fully explore to find an Armor and Portable Medkit, which will be great help in the next maps.

Secrets:
1-3) Press the switch on the speaker to open the secret room. Press both switches inside, one opens the shelf where you can collect Minigun + ammo, as well as 2x SMG ammo. The second switch opens the last secret, which is described below. Make sure to jump on the shelf to register all 3 secrets.
4) After pressing the switch, a new secret opens in the hallway. Contains an Atomic Health and Jetpack.

Slum Dynasty

A nice city styled map. Has plenty of cool stuff going on, including various civilians walking around (I don't think they count as enemies but you can kill them and they probably add to kills like the Babes do in these TCs) and while I never had problems with the progression, I did find weird that there would be a hidden switch to progress, which can be easily missed. I definitely liked that super secret room with Beavis and Butthead, they are playing the first Merc TC. :D

Also the reskinned shotgun is alright (I think it uses sprites from Star Wars: Dark Forces) but the sprite seems a bit oversized on Duke's hands. I can't tell if it does a lot more damage to compensate but what I can tell is the ammo capacity is reduced to 30.

You will quickly learn that the new enemies can dish out a ton of damage, especially the Strife Guy (hitscanner who sometimes drops Minigun ammo) and Flamethrower Guy (shoots many flame projectiles). Luckily, there is plenty of health in this level (including toilets you can use) but no armor pickups (unless you get dropped from the army men) and two atomic health hidden inside "D" meals. It is up to you whether you want to save the extra health for future levels or use them in this level. I recommend saving them for future tougher levels because this one isn't too bad, as long as you aren't running low on health/armor mid-fight.

Secrets:
1) At the very beginning, go to the room behind you, kill the enemies and go through the fake bright wall where you see a table. You can find 2x Pipebombs and Shotgun ammo.
2-9) Inside one of the bathrooms, there is a hidden switch behind a container. Smash the container and press that switch to unlock an office with Beavis and Butthead playing the first Merc. There is no reward here and you can kill them if you want but registering all the secrets is quite a challenge. You have to jump on top of the desk a few times and just walk around to register all the secrets. It can take a while and it is impossible to tell how many you found in-game due to lack of level stats in DOS version (only at the level stats screen you can see the time, kills and secrets), so registering all the secrets is not an easy task. But at least they can all be registered.

Your Apartment

Back to Duke's apartment. Same stuff as before, though now the secrets contain something else.

Secrets:
1-3) Press the switch on the speaker to open the secret room. Press both switches inside, one opens the shelf where you can collect Electric Gun + ammo, as well as 3x Radiation ammo. The second switch opens the last secret, which is described below. Make sure to jump on the shelf to register all 3 secrets.
4) After pressing the switch, a new secret opens in the hallway. Contains Steroids.

Air Raid

Difficulty ramps up a little bit but doesn't go yet into the crazy territory, as there's plenty of health and a few armor pickups available to help you in the difficult times. Level is a bit tricky at times and can be a bit confusing to navigate but it's not that bad in the end. Jetpack will also help with minimizing fall damage and escaping out of death pits.

I died twice in that outside area where you fight against two tanks, suit guy, rebels/soldiers (aka strife guys) and army men. This is easily the hardest part of the level but luckily you are also given plenty of health to get past this section. The rest parts are tricky but not too difficult to deal with.

There are no official secrets but you can find the following unofficial ones:
-When you go underwater and fight sharks before getting the Yellow Disk, there is one wall you can go through and eventually resurface to a room with a woman and 2x Atomic Health.
-After you enter a room with a mirror and various stuff, jump through the HOT poster, to fall into a hidden area with a Jetpack, Atomic Health, two impaled "haha" guys and a tribute message to them.

High Stakes

Interesting level taking place at a casino. I was very impressed by the design here, it reminded me a lot of Aleks' Back in Business episode. Very nice stuff!

Unfortunately, this level was quite frustrating, as I died plenty of times due to those damn hitscanners everywhere, which reminds me that you have to kill those Strife guys quickly before they start attacking you. They usually get stunned by the Minigun and from what I noticed in both MERC & MERC2, hitscanners deal 7 dmg per hit, which is slightly higher than original Duke3d where hitscanners dealt 5 dmg. The robots (downgraded versions of MERC 1 BOSS) are making an appearance here and are a pain in the ass, as they can spam rockets at you or spam flame projectiles at you and kill you quickly. They often get stunned by the Minigun and in rare cases they get destroyed with one rocket, so be careful when fighting them. You will find upgraded versions of them towards the end of second episode.

The problem is that this level is filled with many hitscanners and I felt like there wasn't enough health to compensate, as most of the health comes in form of clusters of small medkits. Even starting the level with 200 health and 100 armor, just after the first couple enemies, I lost about half of all that and there is only one portable medkit and armor pickup in the whole level, meaning I had to spend the second half of the level without any armor and medkit left in inventory. I saved those precious pickups for the end of level, since I needed them for the next level and I'm glad I did that.

But yeah, the difficulty was softened by frequent saving/loading and usage of toilets inside the bathrooms. Other than that, the only notable thing is that you CAN backtrack towards the end, so don't worry if you missed anything previously. You just press on those green buttons to send the elevator back down.

Secret: Inside the casino, near the slot machines, there is a cola machine. Press on the nearby fire sign to lower the machine and reveal a secret room containing an Atomic Health and Gauss Cannon (RPG replacement).

Lab Rats

Final E1 map once again does not feature a boss fight (at least not happening on-screen) but instead you have to get past many tough enemies in cramped corridors before reaching the last room. The level is somewhat short (can be finished in less than 10 minutes and features less than 50 enemies) but that doesn't mean it will be an easy task, even if you started the level with 150 health, full armor and a medkit in inventory.

As with the previous level, I died plenty of times (about 10-15 times) and was getting quite frustrated towards the end because once again I felt like there wasn't enough health to compensate for the damage and also no armor at all. You get a Portable Medkit, a secret Atomic Health, a few health pickups and that's it. I was trying to be resourceful with my supplies, thinking there will be something big at the end and ended up being punished for it. Of course there is no actual boss to fight, a Battlelord gets destroyed off-screen and ends the episode upon pressing the final switch.

However, this time you get a brand new cutscene and a simple text that concludes the episode's story! This cutscene shows a car chase with Duke's car getting rammed by another car, which ends with Duke crashing into a building.

Secrets:
1) Before taking the teleporter that leads to the Blue Disk which unlocks the door that leads to the exit, there is a crack you can blow up. Inside, you can find an Atomic Health.
2) After taking an elevator, there is a crack you can blow up. Inside, you will find a studio with a South Park Easter Egg, where Kenny is getting blown up by those bastards (Haha Guys and Commanders). There is no reward for finding this secret but it's still a nice Easter Egg.

Notes:
-This is the first level where you will collect the Exterminator, which is the Devastator replacement.
-Upon entering the last room, there is no way back, so be sure to have a backup save if you want to backtrack for secrets and stuff.
-You can kill Kenny! I didn't notice you could kill him during the game until I looked up the CON file and saw an unique message for that. Now I know what I will do when playing version 1.1 of the TC. :P
Attached Image: MERC2_E1M1.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E1M2.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E1M3.png
Attached Image: MERC2_E1M4.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E1M5.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E1M6.png
Attached Image: MERC2_E1_END.png

Overall, the first episode is already an improvement compared to both episodes from Merc 1. Most of the levels are pretty fun to play and I enjoyed the challenge for the most part, as well as the various Easter Eggs and references, though the last few levels were a bit frustrating at times, so you can imagine the second episode will get much harder, as you will see next time. :)

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 29 May 2024 - 04:22 AM

Double post to get E2 reviewed quickly. Five DM maps (E3M1-E3M5), two bonus maps (NONE and M2TEST) and overall thoughts for this month coming soon. :)

Also a few things to clarify in earlier post:
-I forgot to mention that Merc 2 features a new kick-ass soundtrack made by Mark Hadley, who also created The Lost Duke Episodes (he also did the excellent soundtrack for that mod)
-Radiation Gun is now called Disintegration Gun and disintegrates enemies with a cool new effect. However, the pickup message for Electric/Disintegration Gun is so long that two letters are not even visible on screen.
-Killing Kenny in Merc 2 Test map did not bring any message on top of the screen. I suspect this only happens in E1M6 (last E1 map with the Easter Egg), only happens in newest release or doesn't happen at all. To be confirmed someday.
-Haha Guys still appear as fully functional enemies in two E3 maps.
-Shotgun pickup sprite resembles a modified Doom Plasma Gun, while the HUD sprite is from Dark Forces as I have mentioned previously.

IN PURSUIT

Your Apartment

Back to Duke's apartment for the last time. This time you have ONE enemy awaiting you on the hallway, so watch out for that! And as usual, grab everything before leaving, as the next levels will be quite tough!

Secrets:
1-3) Same as before but this time the secret contains Gauss Cannon and 2x Disintegration ammo.
4) Same as before but this time the secret contains Atomic Health and ammo for Gauss Cannon.

Cavern of Despair

A frustrating mess of a map. Most of the health is hidden inside secrets and there are plenty of tough enemies that can tear Duke apart. The map starts with Duke immediately getting attacked by a few baddies. Expect to lose half of your health already. Afterwards, there will be a series of caves filled with many hitscanners and other crap. At least Armor and Ammo aren't that much of an issue.

I recommend saving the game after clearing each room because health is very limited in this level. I died plenty of times and had a somewhat miserable time, spending most of the time with 50 or less health, which made each encounter painful, since many enemies can kill Duke very quickly in this mod.

Also make sure to explore to find secrets and unmarked areas (containing more enemies/goodies), the hidden Portable Medkit and if you care about backtracking, don't enter yet the final room because there is no way back! Though I still recommend to open that door just to take out that goddamn robot waiting you.

Oh and for some reason, there is a duplicate Red Key in an unofficial secret place, which is found inside secret 3 mentioned below. I don't know what purpose this serves because I did not spot extra key switches in this map. Maybe it is to complete the level faster or something.

Secrets:
1) Inside a corridor filled with suit guys, there is a fake wall you can go through to collect an Armor and Large Medkit.
2) Shortly after collecting Flamethrower and killing a bunch of baddies, there is a wall you can open, which contains Exterminator.
3) Inside the secret above, open the wall to collect an Atomic Health and Gauss Cannon. Afterwards, open the next wall to collect a Red Key.
4) In the next room, you will find an Armor and an Atomic Health if you look closely. Go behind the fake wall near armor to collect 2x Disintegration ammo.
5) In the same room, go through the fake wall at the opposite side (where you find shotgun shells) to collect a Small Medkit.

Unofficial: Inside fifth secret, press the nearby transparent switch to access a hidden room with an Atomic Health and another Easter Egg featuring two dead Doom monsters.

In the end, I did not like this level. Hopefully the next one is better.

Zero Tolerance

Decent level that is quite action packed and far better than the previous one. I had a few parts I got really low on health but the Portable Medkit saved my life twice. I also appreciate how much health is present in this level, there is even a toilet near beginning that you can use to refill your health but there are also a few Portable Medkits around. There is only one armor but even if I had to spend most of the second half without any armor, there is enough health to compensate, so I don't really mind it this time.

I only died once and that was after I reached the end and backtracked for secrets, because I found one of the vents was a trap with a pit leading into toxic purple acid. Activating the Jetpack and trying to escape didn't work because Duke couldn't fit through the vent while flying, so eventually he died.

Secrets:
1) At the beginning, when you enter the corridor with two guys in black suits, there is a bright wall you can open that contains Shotgun shells.
2) Inside the kitchen, jump through the SESOS dog poster to find 2x Atomic Health.
3) In the large canyon area with army men and turrets, there is a cracked wall you can blow up. It will lead to a Flood Zone/L.A. Rumble inspired tunnel and you can find Minigun and Exterminator Ammo.
4) Towards the end of the level, before reaching the cells holding the civilians, there is a corridor with lights and two guys in black suits. One light can be opened and inside you can find an Atomic Health.

Unofficial: Inside the third secret, go through the waterfall to find a teleporter that leads you to a Wolfenstein styled Easter Egg. You can also collect 2x Atomic Health and probably kill the captured BJ. I actually did NOT know about this super secret during the playthrough and I'm surprised I'm still finding new things about the TC, even after having already finished it. :D

Another Drug Bust

A familiar map from the first Merc TC. Duke revisits Drug Bust and has to deal with the "new" enemies that infest this map. There are a couple differences that make the map worth revisiting but also the idea in itself is quite nice, as I like revisiting older maps and finding differences in them. Unfortunately, that's about the only good thing I can say about the map, besides the presence of a water fountain that was required to beat this map due to scarce health towards the end. Backtracking is also appreciated, as are the extra Jetpacks available to help with exploration. You can already tell I preferred the old Drug Bust map, even with its confusing progression at times.

Navigation in this map is terrible. The caves are glitchy and can squish Duke easily, though this only happened a few times, mostly when I tried to access one or two areas I thought would be accessible. There are many hitscanners in the caves that can give you a hard time, though if you started the level with 200 hp and full armor, the experience is not that terrible (sometimes the enemies won't shoot right away) but my point still stands due to how unpredictable are these guys, especially at the later times in the map where you are getting ambushed by various enemies and the damage is unavoidable.

Progression is a bit confusing towards the end, as I had to look up in Mapster to find the second Blue Disk, which was located inside the vent near the Red Disk and only unlocked upon pressing that switch on the truck that seemingly did nothing. So if you get stuck like I did, press that switch and go back to where you found the Red Disk, then the Blue Disk is now available. Using all the three keys will unlock the corridor leading to the exit, though watch out for more enemies standing in your way.

5 enemies on CGS (7 enemies on DIG) are unreachable because there is one unused area that contains those enemies and cannot be reached in normal gameplay. It was probably planned to be another section of this map and never finished. Thus, maximum amount of kills you can get is 68 out of 73.

There are no secrets to find but there are a few unofficial ones:
-There is a cave near beginning that contains plenty of Disintegration ammo pickups but also an Atomic Health, Jetpack, Shotgun, Pipebombs and Electric Gun. Mind the "Go Back" message, as the cave collapses if you approach it, plus you will get hurt by explosions, though the trap can still be escaped in time at the cost of about 20-30 hp lost from explosions. The easy way is to fly with the Jetpack to avoid the trigger, that way you keep your extra health and you will need it badly, especially for the next level.
-There is an Atomic Health located inside the fire, which was also present in first MERC. It is impossible to grab it without taking a bit of damage but it is worth it. I used it for this level and I don't regret it but even then the health situation was somewhat poor in this level.
-At the very beginning, there is a Portable Medkit behind fire that seemed impassable, at least for me and might only be reachable when starting the map. When I returned later to explore and get health, Duke couldn't get past the fire before dying, so I have no idea how you are supposed to collect that Portable Medkit, though I know there is another one halfway through the map but still, some extra health would have been nice.

Although this map was frustrating and miserable at times, as there wasn't enough health to compensate for all the damage, the saving grace is that there is one water fountain located halfway through the map, so if you are getting your ass kicked, at least you will not run into unwinnable scenarios without enough health to get past a certain encounter. But you need to go back frequently to do that if you constantly find yourself low on health. If all else fails, just abuse the hell out of Save/Load Game until you get past the problematic parts. And make sure to save the extra Atomic Health and Portable Medkit for the next map, you will need them!

I really hated this map, its glitches, lack of armor and bullshit hitscanners! Hopefully the next map is better and more enjoyable.

Taking 'em Down

Very short and painful map with only 19 enemies but also very scarce health supplies and no armor. At best, you started with 150 HP, no armor and full medkit. Even then, you can get your ass kicked in no time. Especially because of those goddamn robots, as now you will find stronger versions of them. And if you care about all kills, when approaching the part with the Reactor towards the end, make sure the army men don't fall down the pit. You need to be quick with the Gauss Cannon but also make sure you dodge the robots that will retaliate upon getting hit. May take a few tries but it's worth doing it. Afterwards, destroy the reactor, kill the last two Strife Guys and the level is done.

While there are no official secrets, there is one hidden area you can find if you take your time to explore:
-When entering the large room and fighting the first Robot and other hitscanners, make a long jump through the left curtains (or just fly with the Jetpack) and you will fall into a secret room with SMG, Portable Medkit and Jetpack.

Final Sanction

Short boss fight map with one less enemy compared to the previous map. Reminds me a lot of a Wolfenstein 3D map (last E1 map) or rather the DOOM 2 conversion of that said Wolfenstein map, which was located in the MAP32 slot. As you can tell from the size difference, this map resembles more the Doom 2 conversion of the Wolfenstein map.

Grab all the goodies at start, defeat the enemies and the robot boss behind that big door, which opens upon approaching it. However, killing the boss (who is rather easy) ends the episode, so if you want to explore further the map and find a super secret, avoid the boss by luring him into the main room and quickly find a secret switch to open the final secret of this mod.

Secret: Inside the boss room, jump on the crates and press the wall to reveal a switch. It will open the wall ahead of you. Avoid the boss and jump to reach the newly opened area, where you are safe from the boss. You can now access various rooms (Developer Rooms I guess), including a bathroom with an usable toilet if you really need health. Rest rooms don't contain anything to collect, just various things to look at and even the rare Tekwar NPC who can shoot at you in self-defense (he also appeared once in E1M4 if I remember correctly).

Unofficial: In the main room, the second pillar in the left can be opened. Inside you can find 2x Small Medkit, 2x Miniguns with 2x ammo.

Once you defeated the robot boss, there is a new cutscene playing which shows the defeated robot falling down. Congratulations, you have completed the main story of MERC 2 TC! Be sure to also check the extra episode. ;)
Attached Image: MERC2_E2M1.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E2M2.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E2M3.png
Attached Image: MERC2_E2M4.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E2M5.pngAttached Image: MERC2_E2M6.png
Attached Image: MERC2_E2_END.png

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 30 May 2024 - 05:45 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostFistMarine, on 23 May 2024 - 01:38 AM, said:

Drug Bust

Level filename is DRUGRAID.MAP, so the map may have been meant to be called Drug Raid at some point during the development.

Although the map works fine in plain Duke3D v1.5 in DOSBox 0.74-3, the weird thing is that loading the map in Mapster32 seems to crash the program. I have absolutely no idea WHY this even happens but the map seems to be corrupted and Mapster re-saves it as DRUGRAID_crash.map, so when I look up this modified map, it seems like the walls are dark and stuff randomly re-arranged in the map, it was difficult to look up the last two secrets (I only found one by myself, which was the one in the bathroom). And even then, Mapster can still crash when looking at the re-saved map.

Am singling this out in order to highlight it as it's easy to downright miss in the midst of all the long reviews, but technically interesting or at least intriguing. I wonder if it's a memory allocation issue that would be comparable to why OGBB, Overtime and I'm sure a few other old maps break in 1.3D despite being literally designed in/for it (but they're fine with 1.4+), except it makes no sense to me why the more advanced current Mapsters would break 1.4+ Build material on such a deep level, that sounds like the complete opposite order of things and a whole different layer than all the documented EDuke alterations throughout the years like the collision changes. Maybe the map has corruption DOS Build doesn't pick up on but Mapster rejects would be my guess, similarly to how Billy Boy windows take specific workarounds to make now.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 May 2024 - 08:41 AM

It's funny you mention the original Drug Bust map... just played the follow up in the sequel. It looks like it was the same original map but edited for this iteration. I wonder if this one also doesn't load in Mapster? (I haven't tried)

Another Drug Bust

Oof... this is definitely a low point in this TC. It's a revisit of Drug Bust from the Merc 1 (The one where I couldn't find the disk and thought it was glitched). It's still an abyss like level... actually it's the exact same level as Merc 1 but they made it wayyy darker and added a whole bunch of sloping sectors everywhere I guess for realism? There's also a ton of enemies and a limited supply of ammo and health. Trying to find who the hell is shooting you in the dark within the 0.5 seconds it takes to go from 100 health to dead definitely was a headache.

There's also a not so friendly trap off one of the cave paths that looks like it has a bunch of expander ammo and atomic health but trying to get it causes explosions and a cave in.

The 'drug den' building has been completely redone and I think it actually looks worse. There's a garage and two small rooms and a vent in it but you still need to collect all three keys. Having to jump through the fire twice to get the yellow key sucked when my health was already super low.

The level ends after a series of hallways lead to a ladder out.

The one positive thing about this level is that it forced me to use the pipebomb replacement more. The upgraded version is pretty awesome. Other than that... I didn't like this level. I ended up save-scumming my way to the end after having to restart a bunch from cheap deaths. Oh, and there's only one pair of night vision goggles in the level that I was able to find (at the beginning) so there's no escaping the darkness.

I'm hoping the next level is better...

This post has been edited by slacker1: 30 May 2024 - 09:12 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postck3D, on 30 May 2024 - 05:56 AM, said:

Am singling this out in order to highlight it as it's easy to downright miss in the midst of all the long reviews, but technically interesting or at least intriguing. I wonder if it's a memory allocation issue that would be comparable to why OGBB, Overtime and I'm sure a few other old maps break in 1.3D despite being literally designed in/for it (but they're fine with 1.4+), except it makes no sense to me why the more advanced current Mapsters would break 1.4+ Build material on such a deep level, that sounds like the complete opposite order of things and a whole different layer than all the documented EDuke alterations throughout the years like the collision changes. Maybe the map has corruption DOS Build doesn't pick up on but Mapster rejects would be my guess, similarly to how Billy Boy windows take specific workarounds to make now.

Maybe turning the expert mode and disabling auto-fixes in Mapster would allow it to open this map file?

Anyway, I'd say it would be more "organic" to keep both May and June in this single thread. People will still play/finish up Merc and I already commented here on Murder, so it would be easier if someone was to address these comments when they play it.

Taking 'Em Down

Not a bad looking level though it's extremely short and only has a single path forward. You basically just take the path, killing enemies along the way, until you get to an open area with a reactor. I blew the reactor up with a rocket before making it to the button to blow it up again. Then you walk through the door and the level is over.

I almost wonder if this was planned to be a longer level but then got cut drastically short by time constraints or something. It's literally only three rooms.

The battle entering the reactor room killed me a few times because those ED-209 like enemies spam you with flamethrower or rockets and the door to get out closes super fast. This leads you to getting pinned in a cramped hallway with a bunch of projectiles being spammed at you. I ended up getting lucky by chucking one of those upgraded pipebombs and taking them out from a distance.

I was almost tempted to not rate this one because it's so short but I suppose I'll give it a middle of the ground 'C' due to it not being bad... just seemed unfinished.

Rating: C

Final Sanction

Boss fight time! The starting room gives you a bunch of goodies to battle the boss. When you first open the door there's a few sentry drones that come towards you while some turrets snipe you from the ceiling. The ol' door trick takes the sentry drones out pretty quickly and I just wasted two rockets on the turrets because I hate them and didn't want to be bothered with them. Walking into the room you have to be careful because there's some enemies waiting behind the pillars to jump out and ambush you. After taking them out, it's time for the final boss.

He's actually pretty decent. He moves around the room and spams rockets at you. I just wish that he had a bunch more health though. I feel like I was able to cut him down a bit too easy with just the devastator and rocket launcher. Similar to how quickly the boss of Merc 1 fell. I was hoping for a PITA long fight here of cat & mouse. The map layout actually reminds me a lot of Doom 2's secret level Grosse.

After you beat the boss there's another FMV cut scene and a screen of story text that brings closure to the TC. All in all, a pretty decent end.

Final Thoughts on Merc 1 and Merc 2

Merc 2 is definitely miles ahead of Merc 1. That said, I'm glad that I played through Merc 1 first even if there's a lot of 'hit and miss' in that TC. It was still fun to play through and gave me a better appreciation and familiarity to the 'Merc' world for Merc 2.

I definitely enjoyed Merc 2 more out of the two. Even though I gave some of the levels not great scores but overall it was a really fun experience. It was also nice to have a change of pace from fighting aliens and other worldly areas and have something that's just centered here on Earth with some human/robot baddies. The weapon upgrades/changes were also a welcome change. I really liked all of them and honestly wouldn't mind a stand alone weapons mod that brought these weapons to regular Duke. Major shout outs to the pipe bomb, desintigrator (expander replacement), and the flame thrower (freeze thrower replacement). Those just flat out rock.

Final ratings for each TC (not an average... just on how I feel about them after all this)
Merc 1: C
Merc 2: B

@Aleks: Thanks. I guess I will keep this topic for next month as well, so that all four TCs can be played in this topic. Interestingly, I remember last year during the summer we had two months when One Unit Whole Blood was chosen and it was split into two parts, maybe I should have done that back then as well.

@ck3D: I am curious as well because I can't recall this happening before, I rarely ran into "corrupted" maps (and yeah, due to memory limits, OGBB and Overlay don't work in Duke3D 1.3D but work fine on Atomic v1.5) but I don't think I ever ran into a map that randomly crashed Mapster upon loading. If I did, it must have been long time ago that I can't even remember. At least both TCs are perfectly playable on the original Duke3D Atomic v1.5 executable, though the Merc 2 demos didn't play in background (my guess is that they were recorded in v1.4) and the message on monitor in Duke's apartment is hard to read on the default 320x200 resolution of DOS Duke3D but that's because I prefer playing Duke3D on the original resolution so that the game runs smooth in DOSBox. On higher resolutions, there are visual glitches with weapon flickering and such. This isn't an issue in source ports but I just wanted to point this out for those who play Duke3D in DOSBox and run into problems.

@slacker1: Glad you managed to finish the TC. Hope you had fun with these two TCs. And to answer the question, E2M4 (Another Drug Bust) does NOT crash Mapster upon loading the map. It's only the original Drug Bust map that crashes Mapster. I don't know what's wrong with the original map, hopefully someone with more knowledge can look into the problem.

Anyway, here is the review of the bonus content included in Merc 2 and the overall thoughts for this month's Merc & Merc 2. No screenshots this time since they aren't necessary. Well except that Merc 2 picture that appears on exit, I should have posted it previously. ;)

A bonus DM episode is included in the main menu (replaces E4) that contains five maps (E3M1-E3M5). From the main menu, you can only access the first map because most maps in the episode don't have any exits, though the warp cheat should send you to the other maps. Also no cutscene playing at the start of E4, it has been disabled (or replaced with an empty file). Slacker already described the DM maps, so I will only mention a bit about them.

If you prefer to use command line parameters, here they are: DUKE3D.EXE /xmerc2.con /gMERC2.GRP /V4 /L1 /S3

Replace L1 with L2, L3, L4 or L5 to access the other levels. And I suppose adding M211.GRP somewhere in between if playing the patched version of Merc 2.

E3M2 and E3M3 are maps from the first MERC. Most enemies have been removed and maps still contain exits, keys and secrets. However, levels 1, 4 and 5 have no exit at all (though Level 4 can also be reached from finishing Level 3) and are purely DM maps that aren't anything special. Though some areas can only be reached in DM mode.

I do not understand why this progression was chosen. Wouldn't have been better to have first two maps the Merc 1 maps and then the DM maps? Even then, I am not sure what was the point of having two random levels from first Merc kept into this TC. Was there meant to be a remake of the entire Merc 1 to be included in Merc 2 or just wanted to convert a few Merc 1 levels to DM?

MERC 2 - DUKEMATCH

Corporate Entity

A DM map taking place inside a large building. The map has many floors available and they are a little bland with not much height variation. I can't imagine this map being too much fun in DM mode. There are a few rooms that require keys to access but there's no keys in the map. The explanation is that in DM mode, all players spawn with all keys in inventory, so these areas are unreachable in SP mode. Not that you are missing much. Once you explored all the floors and reached the top of the building, you can consider the map finished.

Matinee Maul

Taken straight from first Merc with most enemies removed (there are still 19 enemies, though most of them are sharks). All 9 secrets and all keycards are present, as well as the level exit. The map is still possible to complete with all kills and secrets.

In The Gutter

Another level taken straight from first Merc with nearly all enemies removed (there are still 3 of them). All 9 secrets and all keycards are present, as well as the level exit. The map is still possible to complete with all kills and secrets.

Mid-Evil

A short medieval themed DM map. Not much else to say but I agree it might be the best of the three actual DM maps.

FragBase

A short base themed map with forcefields surrounding the places, as well as lightning strikes. Only the starting area can have the forcefield disabled. I suspect the other areas can only have forcefields disabled if the other players spawn inside those bases. Looking inside Mapster, that seems to be the case. So in SP mode there isn't a lot to explore.

As a bonus, here are two other maps you can access:

None

This is what you get if you select E1 in the main menu (E1 has no name but can still be selected) or just warp to other "undefined" maps in the other episodes. It is an empty map telling you to "Go Away".

M2TEST.MAP

Merc 2 Test is basically the mod's equivalent of ZOO.MAP. You get all the weapons at the beginning and can find all the NPCs standing outside, as well as the civilians/enemies behind the doors. Like in ZOO.MAP, there's five enemies in each room (one behind first door and four more behind second door). Once you kill them all (including all the NPCs), there is nothing else to do, so you can consider the map finished.

This map can be accessed with the following parameters in DOS version: DUKE3D.EXE /xmerc2.con /gMERC2.GRP -MAP M2TEST.MAP /S3
Attached Image: MERC2_END.png

Final Thoughts

Merc 1 & Merc 2 are ambitious TCs for their time, especially the latter. They haven't aged well and are only worth checking for historical curiosity, since they are comparable to many other Duke3d TCs of the era. However, there is still plenty of fun to be had and I would say they are okay in the end, a solid 7/10 (or rather a 6.5 towards 7.0 because of many impressive things in the sequel) if I were to rate both of them at once.

Merc: Fatal Reality (released 4th September 1997) had some good ideas but some maps looked bland and unfinished, as well as the first proper level having two unreachable secrets for different reasons. Thankfully, that was the ONLY map which couldn't be 100%'ed. Rest of the TC varies in terms of design, some good maps and some meh maps, especially one or two maps that were a bit confusing. The only frustrating map was the last E1 map (and penultimate E2 map to some extent), rest stuff wasn't too bad and was quite enjoyable.

Merc 2 (released 26th August 1998, updated on 14th July 1999) is much more ambitious, featuring more maps, features, enemies, sprites, graphics, a brand new soundtrack, cutscenes, Easter Eggs/references and other cool stuff going on. Just like first Merc, there was only one map that couldn't be 100%'ed (which also turned out to be the lowest point of the TC) but in rest, maps have less bugs in them and are a bit more polished overall. Unfortunately, a couple levels were really frustrating and needed a bit better balance, as there was a noticeable lack of health/armor in them and not enough to compensate for the tough enemies that can take Duke down from 100 health to 0 almost instantly. Having extra health/armor when starting the levels also helped a lot and even then some maps were still quite difficult, at least based on the experience of playing the mods on the third skill setting.

In the end, I enjoyed both TCs but I will say in terms of gameplay, I kinda liked the first Merc better. However, Merc 2 is much better in nearly every other way and the extra challenge is also appreciated in the end. After all that's why I'm playing on the Hard difficulty in most games/mods. Though I wouldn't have minded if Merc 2 also used the Haha Guy occasionally to spice up the combat, I feel like that was the one thing missing from the sequel and if he was actually used instead of referenced in two maps (and I suppose only used in those two converted DM maps), then those maps would have flowed better instead of spamming the tougher guys that kill Duke quickly.

Thanks everyone for participating in this topic and I will see you very soon on this same topic! With all that said, I guess I will take a short break from Duke and return sometime in June for playing/reviewing the two remaining TCs. :D

Have a nice weekend everyone. :)

User is offline   quakis 

Murder: The EDF Conspiracy - Difficulty set to CGS for this playthrough.
Played this back in the early 2000s and barely remember much about it and whereabouts I stopped. Two memories stuck with me; the EDF Officer's look, though in my mind they appeared worse so I'm thankful for that being wrong; Second was the MIDI soundtrack being grating to the ears, perhaps I was overblowing the thought alongside getting tired attempting to run the entire campaign in one sitting at the time. Upon hearing some of the instrumentation sounds used I can sort of understand why now, but it's not quite as bad as I feared, at least I have the power of changing the soundfont should needed. Current first impressions are mixed mostly due to the opening level, but not leaning too unfavourably - too early yet. It's nice care has been taken to integrate the new art assets into the game properly, an issue I had with The Gate looking quite bad for not doing so. I'm going to chew on my playthrough slower than usual and do one map at a time for now, avoid any burnout since I also have a lot of other write ups in progress.

M1: Scene of the Crime
Framed for a single murder, so now it's time to annaliate every walking SWAT and EDF who stands in Duke's way. First scene is a neat visual opener, dead body, blood and bullet holes everywhere. Massive SWAT presense in the expected places so getting a foothold can be tricky to avoid losing precious health here. Sneaking off the balcony and picking them off helps. Standard city theme setting albeit feels a little dead; not much ambience and a lack of much else going on besides the SWAT van parked up outside. Design is also a little flat/monotone, unvaried and lacks contrast to spruce up the environment. The first level has this mildly unfinished look about it, as if it's missing another pass for decoration and lighting. Feels it especially once inside the repetitive EDF police station, there's a little courtyard upstairs with little purpose to its addition even visually. Should this be a pattern in later levels I won't comment any further regarding this aspect unless I notice a change. Scene of the Crime is a servicable beginning to set the motion of Duke's situation and highlights some nice production quality put into the custom assets already so far. I find it funny terrorists found this to be the perfect moment to raid the EDF building, almost timed too perfectly to be a coincedence. Of course very important access codes are locked inside a run-of-the-mill safe and clearly signposted for anyone to find them!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by quakis: 05 June 2024 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   quakis 

Murder: The EDF Conspiracy - Day 2

M2: Into the Sewers
This really feels like the second half to the previous level without a doubt and there's not a whole lot to say about this one, there's more street locales like a large mall with only a few shops to check out, the jewelery store in particular is cute. It's a little barebones and by the numbers though. It's nice when a mapper adds some personality or flavour to places like this so a shame they didn't get a little more creative or new art for advert posters or sale signage in here at the bare minimum. Speaking of, something I didn't mention previously and was reminded of here are those elevator signs showing which direction they go based on the floor you're at. These are nice subtle additions for navigation, which one takes me down again? Just follow the signs!

There's an underground parking lot toward the street's other dead end which makes use of darkness to contrast against the bright outdoors for a change, so those elusive shadows do exist around here! In honesty judging by the title alone I was worried about reaching the sewer, it's rare they're done well considering the theme, yet it's one of the shortest segments as we head back into the EDF Headquarters one more time. Of course we have invisible laser tripmines, I swear this being an option in user.con just tempts modders simply because it exists, wasn't much different during my own tinkering with the engine to be fair. I like the revisit to the EDF building, another segment of it anyway. There's more sense of place this time with all the damage and rummage including a large hall and press office for official business. Two extra weapons are gathered here but took special note of the minigun; the barrel has a spin animation! You'd almost expect a static image with simple firing frames, so I commend the effort to make this weapon look nicer while using it.

So I like messing with soundfonts occasionally and was comparing the default WindowsMME to the Chorium (Rev A) soundfont, enjoying what the latter brings to the jazzy vibes especially with the trumpet/sax and drumbeats.
Recorded a quick comparison video below, judge for yourself:

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postquakis, on 05 June 2024 - 10:30 AM, said:

Murder: The EDF Conspiracy - Difficulty set to CGS for this playthrough.
Played this back in the early 2000s and barely remember much about it and whereabouts I stopped. Two memories stuck with me; the EDF Officer's look, though in my mind they appeared worse so I'm thankful for that being wrong; Second was the MIDI soundtrack being grating to the ears, perhaps I was overblowing the thought alongside getting tired attempting to run the entire campaign in one sitting at the time. Upon hearing some of the instrumentation sounds used I can sort of understand why now, but it's not quite as bad as I feared, at least I have the power of changing the soundfont should needed. Current first impressions are mixed mostly due to the opening level, but not leaning too unfavourably - too early yet. It's nice care has been taken to integrate the new art assets into the game properly, an issue I had with The Gate looking quite bad for not doing so. I'm going to chew on my playthrough slower than usual and do one map at a time for now, avoid any burnout since I also have a lot of other write ups in progress.

It's seriously better than you'd expect it to be, isn't it? One of these TCs that seem a bit humble, but once played are surprisingly consistent for the time they were conceived.

User is offline   quakis 

View PostAleks, on 10 June 2024 - 12:09 PM, said:

It's seriously better than you'd expect it to be, isn't it? One of these TCs that seem a bit humble, but once played are surprisingly consistent for the time they were conceived.

Definitely and already I'm seeing small improvements as the journey continues, it's doesn't try to overblow what it aims to achieve and has a good sense on making the custom assets fit in together.

Murder: The EDF Conspiracy - Day 3

M3: EDF Headquarters
We hijack a car at the end of the last level only to be ambushed close by the HQ building, good contextual storytelling transition via the level design being put to use here and won't be the last either. I enjoyed this level quite a bit, still a little rough but its design is improving. The street level is still barebones but I did like the side alley feeling dirty with the grimier garage textures and litter strewn around. There's an earlier building we grab a keycard which I have no doubts the mappers would have loved TROR or slope sprites for that skylight in the foyer. The EDF HQ building appears grand with its front entrance and main hall design, while the innards are mostly office spaces* surrounded by fancy courtyards. Secure corridors other lead towards a weapons labs, central command and central archives room.

*Curious tidbit: The carpet in the big office is relative-aligned, tied to a firstwall on the swing door and thus rotates as it opens!

The EDF HQ building... well actually I think I'm losing track here to be honest; M1 we access an EDF building (which I assumed as the HQ) with police signs outside and I thought we came back from a different angle for M2, but maybe it's a different building entirely - and now we're heading to the EDF HQ proper, I think so. One of the terrorist notes from earlier mentioned moving the bomb and the destruction of the EDF HQ being on schedule, then tucked in that alley is probably the only instance of Terrorist enemies, which happens to be close to their target. Yeah I do wonder what they're up to. Except it's Duke who triggers the self destruct... yeah I'm missing something here.

This level introduces a number of new things, two enemies and three weapons. So far the art replacements for our foes have been a jarring mix of sources, either something; new like the EDF Officer; a Duke sprite edit like the Terrorist; or an edit from another game like the Quake grunts for SWAT guys. Now we're introduced to the EDF Marine (aka Doom Marine) and a flying drone that shoots rockets. I don't mind the art used as a whole, it's par the course for modding to rip assets over the years, it's just nice despite coming from various sources or being handmade they haven't just been thrown in without some clean up to make everything fit in some form. The EDF Officer and Marines share a similar palette as if part of the same group. The weapons graphics are nice additions too, maybe too many "long tube" types in one go; special note is the expander acting as a heavy machine gun without causing the growth effect - which also means one less exotic style weapon for a third bullet automatic. Radiation Cannon is a weird one with it behaving not much different than a freezethrower with some additional fire effects; at least said flame affects anyone nearby adding some tactical choice to pick on a target to be your walking hazard in tight spaces.

M4: RUN!
Short level escape sequence so might as well add this for today; again another nice level transition. Up until now the level ends when touching a sector but the first use of a nukebutton has the next level begin a self destruct sequence. There's not much too the level due to its length, like a snappier version of SSTTC's opener and even reminding me of the DOOM Wad, Scythe (MAP28's Run From It). Only difference with Murder TC is that the level isn't out to murder you. The resulting blast is survivable and a ceiling doesn't collapse until stepping on a certain trigger. I think the devs should have commited to the idea, more destruction and less forgiving on slow escapees. During the intial panic we're introduced to the EDF Soldier (straight from Lameduke) - had the consequences been more dire, having to deal with this new unknown threat under that pressure to escape would have worked really well here.

Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by quakis: 11 June 2024 - 03:09 PM

User is offline   quakis 

Murder: The EDF Conspiracy – Final Day
Been enjoying it so far, felt like sitting back and clearing through the rest of this. Maybe I’ll be able to squeeze in PYP this month too. We’ll see!

M5: Comm Station
Desert/Canyon theme that takes place primarily underground exploring the inner parts of a comm station with similar locales to those seen at the EDF HQ. Nice destruction of the outer portion though, looks convincing especially with the staircase leading down is blocked which you can also see later from the underside. One of the nastier places is a crate maze as not to be caught off guard by the EDF Soldiers lurking around here but sadly their position is given away by an oversight; just like the NEWBEAST these enemies place at their default repeat values will shrink to their coded ones which could have been avoided during the mapping stage by sizing them correctly (these guys being 64x64 and should be 40x40). I overlooked this at first but now halfway it's hard not to bring up. This level does some nice subtle storytelling and hinting, in one control room a screen mentions the orbital satellite defences being down. Elsewhere is paperwork listing shipment details, one crate of which contains a keycard should you not discover it. Then there's the different air/space crafts in the hangers, M5 is just joy looking at this kind of stuff.

M6: EDF Orbital Defense Network
Space theme! Music here is already touching upon that early Lunar Apocalypse kind of vibe. Arriving at the satellite we're greeted to a Terrorist just chilling out in one of the control booths above, so we know who to expect going further in which shouldn't be of any surprise based on the clues up until now. Not a long map that flows along nicely even if the path itself seems a bit redundant. I wish the other areas felt a bit more significant to the overall structure/role of the satellite up until we hit the main control room where it really matters; love this room with those holograms, outer view of the large guns and incoming ships, with monitors warning of an incoming threat. It all really comes together. Once all is done and dusted and the satellite defences are restored, we must return to the hanger bay which spawns a new enemy: a big nasty robot boss drone, which looks just about as good as the smaller drones - an optional fight as long as you can hit the nuke button in peace and probably for the better consider my circumstances during the next map.

M7: Cliffs
Nice change of environment, exactly as the title suggests, similar to the canyon of M5 but with some greenery, minor rural stops and other EDF related outposts dotted along the road. Great opening shot with the EDF choppers hovering above the chasm with turrets pointed your way shooting rockets. This level is an ammo starvation ordeal, the further I progressed the less resources I had left on hand to deal with later threats despite checking every little corner. It's as if your enemy is throwing everything at Duke to cause exactly that problem, which gave me fewer options to deal with any situations and resorting to my starting weapon. This along with the enemies primarily being Terrorists can make combat feel a little bit of a slog but I didn't hate my time here, I liked the pressure going on. Some of the tall walls can be skipped over in places meaning you don't really need to find the blue key or press the exit gate switch, but won't be able to turn back for any resources left behind which might be important to do before moving forward.

M8: Robotics Facility
This one gets rough, we're in the facility outer yards conquering each of the surrounding buildings one by one clearing them out and finding a key for the next target. Ammo still continues to be an issue but we do get supplies for other weapons this time around, but too little to give me enough options during skirmishes. One major issue that's becoming apparant here is the lack of enemy variation; it probably makes sense for Terrorists to be a dominant doe but there's just too many of the same grunts. The combat, while frantic at times with these long ranges taking pot shots at you, still gets a repetitive. There's a sore lack of robots in a robotics facility. I'd have liked to see more drones (of both types) and sentry turrets. Extra variation of existing troops might have helped too. Red palette EDF Marine that use a fast firing laser weapon or blue EDF Soldier with the Radiation Cannon - anything to break things up as we hone toward the finale. The level itself is otherwise fine if not for that sore spot, the warehouse fight for a yellow key was a tough one to get by with one viable weapon. I'm loving some of the extra attention to details like a steaming hot cup of coffee and use of certain textures to suggest these maintenance hatches. Then there's a bold use of a texture #0 but not texture #0 metallic texture #0. Dark ambient lighting, red sky and the facility silhouette also look pleasing.

M9: Final Confrontion [sic]
Boss fight! Well, a bigger drone we've already beaten in an M6. Despite my low munnitions there were enough lying around here to make this a breeze, not much tactics involved as there's little else to the map; big arena with boxes, gear scattered around and a big machine to blast to pieces. At least we get a text epilogue regarding the fate of Duke.

Posted Image Posted Image

Summary:
Not the best ending battle but that doesn't spoil the journey I had up until this point. Murder TC surprises me with its consistent production values, includes a nice soundtrack by Mark Hadley, and the team doesn't let any crazy ideas blow the whole campaign out of proportion by keeping a focus on the core story points. These were hinted at during the levels leading up to the finale so nothing really comes out of left field, such as the orbital satellite codes being stolen and its defences turned off, meaning it'll probably be one of our next stops. Murder starts off middling with mapping that doesn't inspire much besides getting the point across with bare bones design, but as the levels go by you can see clear as day Gabriel Crown's mapping improving, becoming bolder with better theming, lighting and texture work. They'll throw in sector vehicles and other aspects to bring life to a scene like the destroyed exterior to the Comms facility or exterior walls of the satellite when looking out of windows. There's still a lack of depth via lighting, but enough there to create moodier locations. I mentioned playing this back in the early 2000s but I really don't remember anything about the second half, it wouldn't surprise me if I'd quit much earlier than thought otherwise for whatever reason, so giving this a second chance was worth it for a solid experience getting better as the levels went by, albeit gruelling on the combat front.

I'll use these notes for a potential polished up review down the line after stewing on my thoughts some more.

Edit: and thanks Fistmarine for making the final call on dailing these back, they'll be less overwhelming to join in going forward. I have a bad habit wanting to finish events like this and if they're too long I only just burn myself out, so instead I chose to opt out from participating entirely. Tried once with a DWmegawad Club (2017! Time flies...) and didn't last long that attempt. 32 maps is a lot, especially if they're for a long and difficult wad set, on top of doing an (extensive) write up for each map. Similar situation with playing through The Gate but that campaign is just long regardless so not much can be done there, taking a short break was enough for me to finish that one eventually. It's more fun when these type of events are bite sized and longer stuff can be split between two months if necessary.

This post has been edited by quakis: 14 June 2024 - 12:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options