Duke4.net Forums: Duke Map/Mod of the Month Club - April 2022 - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Map/Mod of the Month Club - April 2022  "Duke Nukem 3D Full Version v1.3D"

User is offline   FistMarine 

What's this thing?
We play through a set of maps/mods during the month, and use this thread to discuss it as we're still all fresh with our comments/opinions/feelings about the maps.

What's the purpose?
Basically, there are 4 purposes:
  • Showcasing some of the older mods/maps to wider public - they definitely deserve the attention!
  • Getting more people to actually enjoy and appreciate the user content - because let's be honest, over the past 26 years this was really what kept Duke alive after all.
  • ...and while we're at it - keeping Duke alive by still enjoying it, as there's no new games in the franchise on the horizon (and let's be honest, they wouldn't be as good as some of this stuff!).
  • Having a more structured discussion on maps than what's going in "Last map you played" thread - which is great, but it's basically a monologue most of the time.

Can I join?

Sure, as long as you find some spare time during the month to play the stuff that's on the table!

Why a month?
Because people have lives, jobs or other stuff to do (like mapping). For smaller maps, this could be shorter time - it's all up to debate in the future!

What port should I use? Are mods allowed? Where to get the maps?
It's entirely up to you how you play the game, so you can use whatever port or mod allowed - it would be cool to state in your posts what you're using too, as there might be some slight differences between the ports! As for the maps, they should be always linked within the first post.

How should I play the maps or post about them?
Again, it's up to you. You can finish them all in one go or play them one by one whenever you feel like. On Doom forums, there's a rule that you should keep the pace by not posting about a map that has a higher number than the day of the month, so e.g. on 6th you shouldn't post about map 7 etc. I think that might be a good practice if there's a large interest in this, but first let's see how active the thread is for a start - so if there's nothing going on, feel free to post about whatever map you want to.

Previous editions:

This is not an April Fools joke! This month we will play through the original good old classic, Duke Nukem 3D!
This needs no introduction and I assume everyone is already familiar with the game's original levels. For those interested to participate, I suggest to revisit this classic in DOSBox (or even on a retro PC if you still have one), using either the original version 1.3D or 1.5.
You are free to use any source port you want, however.
You can get the game at the following links:

Duke Nukem 3D Unregistered Shareware v1.3D at the official 3D Realms website (archived, this used to be the original website)
https://web.archive....re/3dduke13.zip

Duke Nukem 3D Full Version v1.3D - No download link!
If you still have the original Duke Nukem 3D CD (if not, you can buy one at Amazon/eBay), then you can enjoy the original release in its full glory! If you have the CD and want to install the game, all you have to do is copy the DN3DINST folder into your PC, rename it to DUKE3D, configure the game (I configure Sound and Music to Sound Blaster and leave all settings at default) and then have fun!
If you have the Atomic Edition, the procedure is the same, except the folder is called ATOMINST and the game actually requires the CD in drive to play. I can't offer further instructions, so it's up to you to find a way to play Atomic Edition in DOSBox without the CD in drive. The two options would be to mount a disc image or to look for a CD crack.
If you have the Kill-a-Ton Collection, then congratulations! You've got both versions 1.3D and 1.5 included on the CD! Then you get to decide which version to use (or play both at the same time).

Or if you somehow don't own Duke Nukem 3D at all, then what are you waiting for? Buy the game right here at Zoom Platform (Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition + Expansions)
https://www.zoom-pla...-atomic-edition

Then once you finish all 3 original episodes, I also suggest to check the extra two multiplayer-only maps (E1L7 and E1L8). In the original DOS version, they can be accessed with the following parameters:

DUKE3D.EXE /V1 /L7 /S3
DUKE3D.EXE /V1 /L8 /S3

Where V is the volume (episode), L is the level number and S is the skill level (1 is POC, 2 is LR, 3 is CGS, 4 is DIG).

However, that's not all! If for some reason, people don't feel like revisiting the original levels (not even the extra E1L7 and E1L8), I decided to include the four bonus levels (two DM, two SP) created by the legendary Richard "Levelord" Gray! They didn't make the cut for the original game and I think with this special occasion, it is a good time to revisit them (or even check them out if you somehow missed them). They are the following: Chuckles, Cigam, Sewer and Sweeney! They can be downloaded at the following site:

Levelord's website (archived): https://web.archive....3d/dukemaps.zip

With all that said, I may not participate this month as much as before (and there isn't much of a reason to repeat myself when comes to describing the original levels), so I will stick with only reviewing the 4 cut maps by the Levelord, since these maps are lesser known and not many people know about their existence. I will probably also talk a bit about the original levels by offering some extra hints/tips/tricks for certain areas or some "secrets" (like extra items/weapons) that not many people know about.

Have fun!

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Here's my full playlist of LA Meltdown on Damn I'm Good, with each level being played with pistol starts. I don't have E1L8 on there just yet, but will try to some time this month.
I've played LA Meltdown so much that I have essentially memorized every area in each of the maps.

Hollywood Holocaust, there really isn't much I could say about it that hasn't already been said. It is a classic map, that is pretty much perfect in every way. You can find all the weapons in the first level, and there are two paths to enter the theater. This map is the best map to look at when considering a dukematch design. It is perfect for that mode, and even noobs tend to at least know where to go to get the weapons.

I remember the first time I ever saw this map, I was too young to truly be playing this game, but nobody cared. I remember when Duke said "Damn, those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride!" it blew my mind away. I had never seen a game before this that had speech like that. Everything was either text based or you couldn't understand what was being said, and the main character would be mute. So this was a big surprise.

Red Light District, is probably my favorite of the episode. It just has so much going for it. I remember the first time I played it and saw the RPVs, I was honestly pretty frightened. Sure, Doom had flying skulls and tomatoes, but they felt like they just floated around. The RPV seemed like it was really flying in the air, ready to fill me with lead. It was even more to my surprise when shooting one down would eject the pilot.

The map has great progression. You find the blue key, which leads you to the yellow, then from the yellow door you find the red, etc. It's fairly linear in that sense. When you finish the map, and Duke is captured, that is a gaming moment I'll never forget.

Death Row is an intense map. The difficulty really picks up on this map. You're defenseless at the beginning, and must escape the prison. I loved the map progression, as there was a lot more to explore here than one might initially expect. Seeing the submarine at the end blew my mind. I had only seen them in movies and from stories from my grandad, who was in the nuclear sub service during the height of the cold war. So seeing one, and then realizing you have to enter inside, was really cool to me.

Toxic Dump is a pain in the ass no matter how many times I've played it. It's not a bad map, but it is unpredictable. The AI seems to know how to get the upper hand against you and throw you off guard quite often in this level compared to the previous maps. It also contains my favorite Duke line, "I should've known those alien maggots booby-trapped the sub!" I don't know why, but I have always remembered that line! This map brings out far more octabrains than the previous maps, and it starts to feel more like what you'll expect in difficulty for the rest of the game.

The Abyss is my favorite boss level in the game. There's so much build up before you face the battle lord. I remember he use to scare me because of his sharp teeth and glowing red eyes with those loud roars he'd make. Then, he'd lob mortars at me and that always got my heart racing. He feels like the most challenging boss of the 4, but I think his sentry's found in later maps are placed better from a strategical standpoint. The boss BL has a lot of open space to get you with the chaingun, but not so much with the mortars.

A great end to a great first episode. This episode has left an impact on gamers all over the world.

Bonus:
Launch Facility is a great secret level, and I love that you basically have an objective that isn't stated directly; blow up the shuttle. This is a map I would screw around in for a long time just because I like the design. It is really well thought out, and I like that its end also feels like it leads to the abyss.

Faces of Death is a map I didn't know about until years later. I think this map isn't all that great. It's just OK. It is also fairly easy if you're able to dodge the chaingun fire of all the battlelord sentries and can shrink them all.

Overall, episode 1 is a timeless classic. I think it feels far more fleshed out than other shareware episodes to other games of the era. It doesn't feel like it's cut down in scale (though it was during development but that's a different issue), it feels like the enemy types and weapon types are varied enough that you don't feel cheated out of what you'll find in E2, E3, and E4.

A note specifically on playing this episode on DIG with pistol starts... It isn't too hard, but Toxic Dump was probably the trickiest of the whole episode playing this way.

I don't know how I'm going to do it but, making a sort of review of the original game sounds interesting, though it's gonna be hard >_>

I'm playing with BuildGDX for a change, the first time ever. The only difference that matters is that I am playing on Skill 3 while I am used to using dnskill5 all the time T__T

Anyway.

Hollywood Holocaust :

The few interesting things I can say about this level are the fact that, it's quite an original way of starting a game. Good thing you have the F1 key to tell you that you're on top of building after your escape from Duke Nukem II, which I'm sure not many people of the time have played before playing Duke3D, given how the franchise got known only from this game onwards.

Also, for the time, this level being themed around a street with the iconic stars on the walk-ways, and a Cinema is the perfect way to introduce the fact that the Build Engine is capable of recreating believable environements. Doom kinda was capable of it, but with lots of limitations, and sometimes requiring some imagination from the player, which is no longer the case now.
Also (bis) I like the Cinema setting. It's kinda underused in video games in my opinion. For the time it was quite creative.

As far as gameplay goes, I don't have much to say, apart from the fact it's nice to have multiple possibilities (2 actually) to achieve our goals, which are the Red KeyCard and the Exit. Though, I am curious to know what is the point of those 2 Turrets located stupidly high protecting a cache of 20 shells you're not necessarily going to need and the existence of which you're never gonna suspect unless you actually have the idea of flying all the way !?
It's not like these Turrets can hurt you either ....

And the music, personally it's far from my favorite, but it does sound good. GDX's midi player is a nice change from the General Midi I'm so used to.

Red Light District :

Not much to say there, apart from the fact that, this level doesn't feel as creative as the first one. Though, when you think by the old time's standards, almost every level was creative >_>
It's just a store and a bar with a dancing room. Though back then it was quite unique to see this. The flickering lights with 2 colors also helped push the credibility department further.
Having to destroy a building too, I almost forgot. The one memorable thing with this level.

Gameplay wise, it's a bit lacking since it's more linear than the first level. I like the Sewer portion, though it's a bit sad you can't carry on from accessing it from the outside, especially since the Key required to access the bar is located at the same place, so it's not a sequence break by any means ...
As for the getting captured thing, it's quite unique for the time. It was/is actually possible to do that with Doom (which came out before Duke) albeit by much more convoluted and downright absurdly punishing ways .... (special hurt floor).
(good thing id never did it)

When I was a kid, that level was the first to kinda scare me simply because of the music, in contrast to the previous level's. Personally, I like it, a bit more than Stalker to be honest, though it depends from variant to variant. The basic midi one I find to be a bit flat, while some other variations, like the Saturn version namely, are a lot more moody and effective.

I don't think my comments are gonna be of much value since I don't think I'll be adding anything to what has already been said throughout the years about the game's original levels, but at least it's something >_>
And I'm sure I'm eventually going to say something controversial at some point ... like prefering DeathToll over Stalker X__X

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 01 April 2022 - 08:50 AM

• Honored Donor

Here's my full playlist of Lunar Apocalypse on Damn I'm Good, with each level being played with pistol starts. I have a lot of fond memories of this episode!

So a lot of people seem to truly dislike Lunar Apocalypse. Usually it’s due to the sentry drones and battlelord sentries that swarm these maps. Other times it’s due to their dislike for the more abstract level design and space themes. I disagree with this. I really enjoy episode 2 for its challenge and setting.

Spaceport is a great opener to episode 2. Ever since I first played this map I’ve always locked the force field behind me that you have to unlock to progress further into the map. This map is the introduction of the enforcer and the sentry drone, as well as the shrinker and devastator. These enemies will appear in much larger numbers as the episode progresses, and the use of these new weapons will be absolutely necessary for Duke’s survival.

Incubator is a really nice and atmospheric level. We get to finally use the laser tripwire that we’ve seen used as traps in previous levels, and we’re also introduced to the freezethrower. Incubator is a fairly straightforward map, where the darker intentions of the aliens is turned up a notch towards the end of the map, with all the women being held captive. This map is harder than Spaceport, but not by much.

Warp Factor is where the difficulty is dialed up a whole hell of a lot. We are introduced to the fat assault commanders and we learn (unless you already played Faces of Death) that the Battlelord has smaller, sentry versions of himself to try to put an end to Duke. These battlelord sentries will put your skills to the test in this episode. Warp Factor has a lot of sentry drones in places that can very easily cause them to blow up in your face with little chance of dodging them. This map is also home to some of my favorite Easter eggs in the game. I love TNG and seeing Picard’s Ready Room was cool! Plus, the map itself is shaped like the enterprise!Overall a fun but quite difficult map, though it only gets harder from here!

Fusion Station is one of my favorite maps from this episode. Tons of aliens to deal with, and you’ll likely put the weapons introduced in this episode to good use here. I especially love the way the area with the turbines spinning with the switch puzzle to open the barred elevator. It just looks quite neat! I also love sniping enemies with through the windows of the area with all the slimers and octabrains that you have to use the lift to get across to. Sometimes you can get the explosions to go off before entering and wipe out most of what’s in there. Destroying that reactor is quite intense with the flashing red lights. It’s so atmospheric! The ending area with all the fat commanders is an epic send off to the next level.

Occupied Territory is tougher than any map preceding it, including those from LA Meltdown. I love crushing as many aliens as I can with the massive door near the start of the level, right before I deal with the swarm of sentry drones and the fatties that guard the doors to the central area of the map. The slimy escalator that leads to the red key card is quite memorable, but past the red door, the 3 battlelord sentries that guard the blue keycard are even more memorable… and just when you think you’re good to go after acquiring that blue keycard… you are faced against another two of these baddies, who appear to be in a more sniper-like position. Once you take them out, you can head to the exit, but this map also contains the secret exit to Spin Cycle! Overall, this is a really challenging map that will test your skills (and sometimes your patience).

Tiberius Station is a great map, but doesn’t really feel as hard as the previous one. I love the use of the mirrors in this stage. I also love that on this map, you’re on the surface of the moon, and can see earth from the moon with the moon’s surface in clear view with its rocks and craters. This map is a lot of fun and a great middle-point for episode 2. It feels like a cool-down from what you dealt with in the map prior to this one.

Lunar Reactor is epic. It’s another favorite of mine, and has one of my favorite songs from the game in it as well. I love how this map is designed, and it’s certainly a step up in challenge from Tiberius Station. The battlelord sentry’s are in pretty tight spots that make them quite threatening. Seeing all the spacesuits in the barracks area makes me wish they had kept it in the game, even if it would’ve barely been used. After all, this map also has a great Star Wars reference when you find Luke in that cave, which appears to be within a hollowed out section of the lunar core. Perhaps there’s oxygen in this area, but still… wish they had kept it in for user map functionality. Anyways, another reactor to give the Nukem treatment with some rockets and off you go as everything around you explodes and you face the fat commanders waiting for you at the end of that exploding hallway! So all in all, this is a great and memorable episode 2 map!

Dark Side is when the shit hits the fan. This is when Duke realizes just how horrific these alien bastards are and by the end of it he’s ready to rip a head off and shit down the corpse’s neck… This map is truly iconic, and puts Duke on the surface of the moon. The use of railways to venture to other parts of the map is really well done. This map feels like the longest of the entire episode, but for the right reasons. Overall, this is a great finale before the finale type of map, with tons of memorable areas!

Overlord starts underwater and has far less buildup to the boss than The Abyss did, but has just enough that by the time you drop down through the massive fan, you’re ready to kick this bastards ass! I feel like Overlord, at least part of it (perhaps the part with the water fall), is quite an old map in terms of development. I don’t know, that area just feels a bit different from the rest of the map to me. So the map is pretty easy for the most part, and the boss isn’t too hard either. He really should’ve had another attack, like he had in prototype builds. If he shot lasers while shooting the rockets it would’ve made him a bit more challenging. I also feel he deserved to reappear as sentry versions in the next episode (he did on N64).. but oh well. This is a good closer to episode 2, and has a very memorable cinematic at the end.

Spin Cycle… hmm, seems this map alone gets tons of hate. I never truly understood why. It’s really not that hard of a level, and is great for Dukematch. The hardest part is dodging the fat commander’s rockets and trying to activate all the switches without forgetting one so you can get to the exit. So no, I don’t find this to be a bad map, just not as memorable of a secret level as Launch Facility was.

Lunatic Fringe feels a bit like Spin Cycle, but without the spinning. You’re still basically activating switches so you can access the exit. It’s not a bad map, but it isn’t very memorable except for the “Duke Nukem must die!” voice and the battle with the sentry’s thrown at you near the ending. Not much else to say about it other than that.

In conclusion, I can understand people’s frustration with all the sentry drones and battlelords in episode 2 but I personally don’t mind this episode. I quite enjoy it and really appreciate the setting of space. I think it is a setting worth exploring with fan made maps a tad more often. I also think the music fits each level quite well, but the two secret levels have great tracks that seem quite underrated.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostDNSKILL420, on 01 April 2022 - 09:28 PM, said:

Spin Cycle… hmm, seems this map alone gets tons of hate. I never truly understood why. It’s really not that hard of a level, and is great for Dukematch. The hardest part is dodging the fat commander’s rockets and trying to activate all the switches without forgetting one so you can get to the exit. So no, I don’t find this to be a bad map, just not as memorable of a secret level as Launch Facility was.

I think it's mostly due to the sentry drone swarm at the start.

User is offline   Quacken 

With April coming around and myself wanting to contribute to a Mod of the Month Club for the first time (and my first post on the website while I'm at it), I felt like now would be a good idea to put my best foot forward. I played through L.A. Meltdown and knocked it out in about an hour and a half on CGS, with a pistol start on each map and going for most of the kills, not really bothering with secrets all that much unless I happen to stumble into them. For a little extra challenge, I've also decided to tackle each map without saving.

Hollywood Holocaust: Short and simple, but it still manages to be some good fun. There's not much more to say about this map that hasn't already been said before. I do like the music a lot. It always seems like it's perfectly timed to kick into gear when you watch the ship crash into the city and you drop down the air vent at the start. It has a very sleek, cool feel to it.
7.5/10.

Red Light District: In my previous playthroughs of the four stock episodes, Red Light District kinda blended together in my brain along with the other city maps, but upon a revisit I've warmed up to it. It's a much trickier map than Hollywood Holocaust, particularly in the start outside the streets and at the book store. This difficulty hike is the reason I've come to prefer Red Light District over Hollywood Holocaust. The music along with the greater monster count always encourages me to take it slowly. Like something dangerous is around the corner.

The building detonation sequence is a thing of beauty. It's very satisfying to watch the building fall apart and then to break into the sewers. The latter half of the map is also quite fun to romp through. Having a good idea about where a decent amount of the secrets were, I particularly liked the opportunities I got to play with explosives and to take alternate paths to get the upper hand on the aliens.
8/10.

Death Row: Death Row is solid, but it's just solid in my opinion. Good things first: I like the music. The City Streets is funky, catchy and doesn't really grate despite the fact that this map is a little longer than the previous two. It also looks very nice, too. There's a notable use of lighting, particularly with the cell doors illuminating the walkways as they're opened, and dimming when they're closed. It's quite cool for a 2.5D engine in 1996.

Now for some annoying things: I've never liked trip mines in this game. They always feel like they light up too late when I'm running at full speed, they're awkward to move around and their trigger radius seems just a bit too large. The combat also doesn't appeal to me as much and I can't really pinpoint exactly why. Maybe it's the annoying Turrets and Pig Cop Jets outside in the courtyard that rub me the wrong way.

Solid map, but I still prefer the previous two maps to Death Row.
7/10.

Toxic Dump: The big boy of Episode 1. It's fun to navigate for the most part, supplies are generous, and I appreciate that this map aims to be more of a semi-long adventure map, but there's some little things here that prevent me from enjoying myself as much as I did in Red Light District. The conveyor belt section is a little awkward, I find the hitbox of the grabbing claws to sometimes be a little too precise. I usually walk into a claw as it plays its closing animation, which works most of the time. Plus, the second claw drags itself through a trip mine. In previous playthroughs where I was too trigger happy and I destroyed the barrel on accident, I had to purposefully eat a trip mine just to keep going. The shrink ray section is cool, though the gimmick was more creatively utilised in E4L2.

I don't really like the mines in the water in the section following the shrink ray. I ended up accidentally swimming into them one too often and it irked me, though I suppose that one's on me for not shooting them ahead of time. Apart from these two hiccups though, most of Toxic Dump is pretty solid. I have a soft spot for the music as well.
7.5/10.

Launch Facility: Not really a fan of this one honestly. Launch Facility is playable but I often forget it exists most of the time. It's unexpectedly flat and lacking on texture variety for most of the beginning and the end, which is a bit of a departure from the other four maps which all look very good. The combat is also subpar too. I can see that more vertical setpieces were tried here, but with the lack of Octabrains in most of these areas it devolves into trying to shoot down the Assault Troopers and Captains flying around. This is fine in isolation, but when there's two fights which feel like are just this, it gets a little tiring. At least blowing up the space shuttle is pretty neat, though not only do I think Red Light District's destructible building looked better, it also served a better gameplay purpose. The music also sounds too similar to Taking the Death Toll in my opinion.
5/10.

The Abyss: This might be my favourite Episode 1 map. I dig the aesthetics, the atmosphere and some of the unique locations that get visited. The combat isn't too difficult, but it's good that Octabrains get used more in this map, and it's also good that there's some good room to move for them in the open arenas. The boss fight against the Battlelord is actually really tricky if you don't plan ahead of time. Being a big powerful hitscanner in a room where the only cover is a slope makes the Battlelord probably the second-hardest boss of the Atomic Edition. I was able to make my time against the Battlelord much easier by hoarding all of my rockets and using them all against him. This is a great map with a solid creepy atmosphere!
8/10, bordering on an 8.5/10.

Faces of Death: Not a whole lot to say here beyond the fact that I took my first death here. Faces of Death is a short and inoffensive novelty, which means I don't really regard it as too much.
5/10.

Closing thoughts: L.A. Meltdown is a solid start, though some of its maps feel like they can blend together in my mind when I think about what maps are my favourites, and they're not as tightly designed as what will follow in the later episodes. None of these maps I find to be incredible standouts besides possibly The Abyss. Final score: 7.5/10.

This post has been edited by Quacken: 02 April 2022 - 12:31 AM

Death Row :

Not gonna develop on the originality of the situation initiated last time. Though it can be kinda bitchy when you imagine a player having finished the previous level with low health, and having to fend off 2 Pigcops (well at least 1) without anything :/
Anyway, I prefer this level for its creativity and original theme of a prison and how it's rendered with the execution room all the way at the back of everything. Goes well with the evading thing.

Architecture shows off more here, also on a gameplay standpoint, I like how it starts to ask more from the player with tiny bits of platforming. I'll come back to that at the end, I like Quackens' idea of Closing Thoughts.
Also, there are more memorable parts in this level, namely the church room, the outside area and how you escape the place with the submarine at the end. Kinda makes you wonder what the heck it is doing there but whatever >_>

Very neat detail to have the map of the level and a hint to where you can escape. When I re-discovered the game in High School, I liked the detail, though it took me until I played with HRP for the first time a few years later to realise that it gives a hint to escape the place. In retrospect I feel kinda silly never to have made the connection before then >_<
I'm not sure what's the point, in the outside area, to be able to blow up a crack in the wall ... I can see this being used with Steroïds for some sequence breaking but since you can't have the 2 Cell Doors you'd need open at once .... Same with the small tunnel on the opposite side. For Multiplayer maybe ?
Or maybe, it's a form of story telling with how people tried to escape these ways and failed, and you can open them because it's still fragile after being covered back up ...

Anyway, as for the music, it's kinda strange for a prison level, but it somehow manages to work ... For a while, it was one of my favorite tracks. To give you an idea, I got 9 variants of it in my collection ^^ I just liked the idea of having the same theme but always played differently with a peak in the middle and then going a bit more lenient. But nowadays, I like this track only when in-game and with small doses out-game, because of how it's VERY repetitive X__X

Toxic Dump :

I don't know if this level is my favorite ... in competition with Abyss, but just for the music, I'll say it is.

When I re-discovered the game, the start of that level, in a crashed sub and feeling that you're going to drown in its rising water was one of the few things I had remembered from my childhood. It was also a level I had struggled with until I had seen everything because of the water parts and that Shrinker part.

The underwater sections are the best parts of the level in my opinion. Though gotta give credit to the funny hook thing for added creativity for the time, and showing off the extent of the engine's capabilities in the small details department. To the point that, the initial part of the underwater section, where you reach that room which opens into a cave with mines, made me draw a picture referencing it !
(without the cave unfortunately, too hard for me ...)

Not gonna stretch but all-in-all, I really like the progression and the variety in the places you go to. However, there are 2 things puzzling me. 1_ Why is it that the Trooper inside the cave you blow up next to the 2 Switch constantly shoots but NEVER towards you ? And 2_ What's the deal with the Secret Teleporter that sends you straight to the end ?
I imagine it's either a shortcut to backtrack and look for supplies or to allow developers to test out the levels without cheats ...
Lastly, that secret in the water pool, behind the Black Moving Platform should have been tagged >_<

And music, is one of my all favorites. For the same reasons as with the previous level's but with a more enjoyable theme. To give you an idea, I got a whomping 11 variants in my collection !!

User is offline   NNC 

This came as a surprise. Obviously I like the maps of Allen Blum more, than the ones by any other mappers. His skills are brilliantly fit to this game, and it's code, graphics and sounds. When I play a Blum map (there are a few stinkers like Babe Land, but that's rare), I feel that map is a canonic adventure. When I played Golden Carnage in 2016, 20 years after the original release, it immediately gave me 1996 vibes, quite effortlessly. It showed the talent of Blum. Those pigcops and assault troopers are just believably there, those textures didn't look like userlevel textures, everything was believalbe. Mirage Barrage is the same, maybe it's exotic settings was a bit weird. The only other man, who managed to breathe with his game in this level was Romero, especially with Doom 1.

Levelord is good, but his maps were harrassed and nerfed a lot with George's cutting is shipping policy, and he didn't have much time to polish his levels too. He had some Blum-tier maps, Flood Zone, LA Rumble, The Abyss in particular... and Sewer. I don't want to derail this thread, but I already made a Sewer and Sweeney update last year, sent them to oasiz to review, but stopped caring about them since then. I want to send those to Levelord for release, because 98% of them is still his work. However they both had bugs, and gameplay was adjusted to beta code (ie. pigcops and octabrains are overwhelming).

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 02 April 2022 - 11:53 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Btw. episode 1 has Hollywood Holocaust, Death Row, Toxic Dump and The Abyss. I love these levels with passion. They look beautiful, and they have intense and great atmosphere. It's a story to be told. I generally prefer non-city settings, darkness, because this is the segment where this game truly excels at.

Why not Red Light District. It's easily my most disliked map in episode 1, and one of my most disliked by Blum. Why? It has strippers and such. The problem is, the map is clearly the result of the game's developement hell. Originally it was part of Hollywood Holocaust, with a much better urban setting, the whole thing got cut out, glued, and lots of problems came with it. First of all, it's way too bright. Unlike Hollywood, you don't have a true night atmosphere, despite the skybox. Probably the reason was that white building texture which dominates the level. It also looks unfinished. What's up with that empty part next to the collapsed building? You can only wonder if that part was Hollywood Holocaust's cinema originally.

Then other problems: the proper starting point (garage) was removed. Lots of details were removed. And above all, the bar doesn't make sense. Look at the bar in LameDuke L6, and it's much more of a believable place. No way you enter a bar, move a ton lot to see a pool table, and all the places were separated by long corridors. At the very least, they should have kept the fence between the pool table and the actual bar with the red key. They are separated by solid walls for no reason.

Overall, it's a big disappointment for me. Of course other levels have these closed up areas (ie. the two open segments in both Death Row and Toxic Dump), but somehow they still look more believable and realistic.

User is offline   Aleks 

Wow, I didn't expect that a topic where we are to just play and comment on original Duke 3D would get so many replies, pretty cool! Myself, I've started a DIG playthrough some months ago for the first time, here the twist is no saves within the levels and finding all the secrets on the way. In L.A. Meltdown I got to Death Row, but I did get killed a few times so I've put that on hold for a bit. Finished Lunar Apocalypse though, which is much easier once you can get rid of the bodies more conveniently with more explosive weapons, freezer and shrinker. Probably a good idea to pick up on this and finish the remaining episodes. Anyway, now my 2 cents just to address some comments.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 02 April 2022 - 07:56 AM, said:

Lastly, that secret in the water pool, behind the Black Moving Platform should have been tagged >_<

This one is underwater, so it already has a lotag of 1 and can't have another lotag for a secret place, so that's the reason.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 02 April 2022 - 12:06 PM, said:

Why not Red Light District. It's easily my most disliked map in episode 1, and one of my most disliked by Blum. Why? It has strippers and such. The problem is, the map is clearly the result of the game's developement hell. Originally it was part of Hollywood Holocaust, with a much better urban setting, the whole thing got cut out, glued, and lots of problems came with it. First of all, it's way too bright. Unlike Hollywood, you don't have a true night atmosphere, despite the skybox. Probably the reason was that white building texture which dominates the level. It also looks unfinished. What's up with that empty part next to the collapsed building? You can only wonder if that part was Hollywood Holocaust's cinema originally.

Then other problems: the proper starting point (garage) was removed. Lots of details were removed. And above all, the bar doesn't make sense. Look at the bar in LameDuke L6, and it's much more of a believable place. No way you enter a bar, move a ton lot to see a pool table, and all the places were separated by long corridors. At the very least, they should have kept the fence between the pool table and the actual bar with the red key. They are separated by solid walls for no reason.

Overall, it's a big disappointment for me. Of course other levels have these closed up areas (ie. the two open segments in both Death Row and Toxic Dump), but somehow they still look more believable and realistic.

Red Light District might be quite problematic really. While the street here looks a bit flat compared to Hollywood Holocaust, this level is were the game really sold itself to a lot of players with many features we take for granted today. Why? It has strippers and such. Putting strippers that can flash their tits amidst a war with aliens in an FPS games was a morbidly dark humour idea that's bound to put a lot of controversy, but also help the game to stand out. Let's not kid ourselves now, we all loved strippers back when we first played the game. Furthermore, it makes great use of a lot of game's effects, with possibly the most memorable/epic set piece with the demolished exploding building. There's also a pool table - yeah nobody cares for that anymore today, but putting a working minigame kind of thing was another level of interaction back in 1996. The combat in this level is way more varied than in Hollywood Holocaust, with Recon Patrol Vehicles, first appearance of Octabrain, Pig Cop ambushes in the bar when grabbing red key, then attacking you from the exploded ceiling in the next corridor - and finally, after clearing the bar, there's another very memorable scene of opening the curtain and Pig Cops showing in massive numbers alongside the strippers. With the finish where they capture Duke, it's almost as they used strip club as a bait to get him. There's of course more stuff like the "Duke Nukem must die" sign, video store with a texture combination that somehow always brings up nostalgia in me, and first time finding the chaingun outside of a secret place.

While judging this level from today's perspective it might feel weaker here and there, back in 1996 I'd say it was a killer.

User is offline   LakiSoft 

As original Duke Nukem 3D levels were chosen, This gonna be my favorite Month Club. In fact i already started playing it on Damn I'm Good skill. I completed first three levels of L.A. Meltdown.

Duke Nukem 3D - L.A. Meltdown - Damn I'm Good - Part 1
You can watch gameplay video here: https://files.fm/f/73pymmrsy

Screenshots:

Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 13-54-21-938.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 14-01-49-181.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 14-10-59-454.jpg

• Honored Donor

View PostNinety-Six, on 01 April 2022 - 09:53 PM, said:

I think it's mostly due to the sentry drone swarm at the start.

That's very likely, though I always found it fairly easy to break the swarm into easier groups to pick-off.

Here's my Shrapnel City playlist on Damn I'm Good with each map being played with a pistol-start. Episode 3 is challenging, but I'd argue Episode 2 is slightly more difficult overall.

Raw Meat is quite fun, and another good Dukematch map. I really like this level and how the water area connects between the starting area and near the exit. It's well done! I also like that towards the end you can peak out and see part of the next mission.

Bank Roll is a really tense map. There's tons of surprise attacks. The battelord's that have taken over the bank vault sometimes clip through the wall and you can only hear them roaring, or other times they'll still be able to hit you, but you can't hit them. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen it happen a few times. This is a pretty short map, but the amount of aliens in it make the combat take a while so the level pads out a bit.

Flood Zone is another map I see hated on quite often. Oh boo hoo, I have to travel underwater for part of the map. This is another map that is honestly fairly short and compact, with the combat being what adds to its length. I like this level and recall playing several Dukematch rounds on this stage. This map is pretty straight forward if you know your way around it. It's not a bad map in my opinion, but I do wonder how it could've been if they had kept the Santa Monica Pier connection with it being slightly longer of a level.

L.A. Rumble is more like it. This map feels a lot bigger than the ones preceding it in this episode. I love having to go through these buildings and having to either use a jetpack or jump and fall your way between the main buildings. There's plenty of sniping positions all around the buildings, making you a sitting Duke from the streets. This map has an abortion clinic in it, but honestly I did not even realize that's what was there for a long time. The lady waiting outside is gonna be waiting a long time for her abortion. I always found it funny the pig cops surround her in that area, then turn to deal with Duke.

Movie Set is a fun map, yet another fairly compact one. I remember I found out about the trick to get to the exit faster before I was told about it online. I like how this level starts and Duke says that's the second time they've shot up his ride, and the film stages are quite a callback to EP2. Personally, I think this level would've made a good choice to introduce the player to the mini-overlords, had they included them. Oh well.

Rabid Transit is a very memorable stage. The subway system is used very well here. I enjoy the battle with the battlelord sentries in this map, as there's quite a few of them here.

Fahrenheit is probably my least favorite of the episode, but it isn't a bad level. There's tons of action to be had between the apartment and the area with all the wooden crates and "GUILTY!" sign, and the firehouse is pretty cool, though seems less detailed than it could've been. I do like the KTIT radio station, but there seems to be a glitch with the door leading to it, where it looks weird when viewed from one side. This could just be a problem under Rednukem, as I don't recall seeing this before, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Hotel Hell is by far my favorite of the episode. I love how you can blow holes in a huge chunk of the map so you can peek out to see the street. There's tons of action, and some really nice easter-egg secrets!

Stadium, despite being pretty small and quite easy overall, is a great map. For one, it is the best map to play Dukematch on to test just how great you really are. There's no cover anywhere besides moving to higher ground! Two, the first time I ever fought the Cycloid Emperor, I remember it honestly being quite challenging. It got easier over time to the point I've learned how to beat him just by kicking him to death in the head while using roids and the jetpack, but the whole concept of battling the final boss in a football stadium is just iconic. It's a great conclusion to the game, that is, until they added the Atomic Edition and continued the story.

Tier Drops is silly, but not a bad map. It's just really easy for the most part and the only thing that is truly remarkable about it is how the portals lead you into other sections, while at the same time you can transition around them from outside. I do like that killing the babes spawns Battlelords, and think more user maps should take advantage of this to make doing that more of a punishment.

Freeway is another favorite of mine, and is quite large compared to many of the maps in this episode. I love the terminator reference, and loved getting the enforcers to go in there so I could "terminate them" like in the film. I love the design of this map, and really wish the cop car had been in a few more levels. It would've fit in some scenarios at least to have seen a few where pig cops are more plentiful.

Overall, Episode 3 is a great one. It has some of the most memorable locations of the entire game, and some real intense urban combat! All of the maps, for the most part, feel as if they were more geared towards Dukematch initially, and then adapted into single-player maps. Apparently, there is some truth to this from what I've read about the development of the game. I did not know about the Atomic Edition for many years, so this was the end to DN3D for me for some time, and a fitting ending at that, but I am glad the Atomic Edition was introduced.

This post has been edited by DNSKILL420: 03 April 2022 - 11:12 AM

Just finished remaining levels of L.A. Meltdown on Damn I'm Good. Toxic Dump is one of my favorite levels in L.A. Meltdown episode. Even back then when i was still a child i remember how Toxic Dump (along with its cool midi music) was so mystical for me. The Abyss was both mystical and creepy at same time. Launch Facility is also nice solid Secret level. I remember back then how much i was excited when i discovered Secret Level for first time. Overall second half of L.A Meltdown are my favorite levels in this episode. Ah, good memories! :)

Duke Nukem 3D - L.A. Meltdown - Damn Im Good - Part 2
You can watch gameplay video here: https://files.fm/f/8tw2w8v3x

Screenshots:

Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 14-23-43-417.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 14-30-03-736.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 14-46-51-445.jpg

Finished first four levels of Lunar Apocalypse on Damn I'm Good. Also it's interesting to note that levels at Lunar Apocalypse are ones of my favorite, so i really never understood why this episode got so much hate, or it's underrated in general. Second half of this episode is where things are getting even more better! In fact only part of this episode that i disliked was Level 4 Fusion Station, despite of its good texture choices, to much vertical fighting and variations is certainly frustrating at times.

Duke Nukem 3D - Lunar Apocalypse - Damn I'm Good - Part 1
You can watch gameplay video here: https://files.fm/f/eqa53jg9t

Screenshots:

Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 14-51-36-992.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 14-58-16-847.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 15-31-41-078.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 15-41-14-624.jpg

Laucnh Facility :

Personally, I don't have much to say about this level. Firstly, it doesn't look too much like a launch facility with the exception of the final area. It feels more like an annex to the previous level, which makes sense if you imagine a map of all levels combined but still. The only memorable parts of the level are all the small "puzzle" revolving around the Rocket.

The one thing I like about this level is the fact that this is our only way to retrieve the JetPack which we lost previously. And doing or skipping this level can have a huge impact on the next level depending on whether or not you have the JetPack and intend to use it, and how if you do. Personally, I don't remember seeing any mod/episode having that sort of situation regarding a secret level. Especially since the next level is one of the very rare levels where the JetPack has a genuine interest !
Gameplay wise, it's more linear than the previous level, though I kinda like the early part with the central pillar and the 3 forcefields, 2 of which being a shortcut back, and conveniently so for a secret !

I don't think I had found this level when I was a kid, I don't remember. Gotta say that the final part of the previous level felt like a mad-dash so it's quite easy to miss the crack in the wall to access it. Which BTW is a good hiding place IMO. In plain sight but neither too visible nor not enough.

As for the music, while I appreciate its discrete nature, and how it somehow fits the level's ambiance, I'm not a fan of its. It's repetitive and, unlike the previous 2 or 3 tracks, flat. You gotta wait until 4/6 of the track to have drums and thus an actual variation. Also, this is one of the rare tracks of the game for which I have a very hard time finding a decent variation of it. Even the custom, fan-made ones don't satisfy me.

Abyss :

Now given how I said in the previous Club topic that I liked the Canyon level in Chimera, of course I am going to like this level ! The starting area was one of the very few things I had remembered from my kid days, alongside the level's music, or at least the beginning of it.

I like the accidented nature of the level, and how the terrain changes drasticly once the earth quake happened. Having the JetPack from the Secret Level can save quite a bunch of steep drops. When I rediscovered the game, it did happen a few times ... Despite the level being nothing but rocky places, it's cool to see it still managed to vary with a canyon, then some caves, and then the same but with a red hot aesthetic and the lava instead of toxic wastes. And of course the space ship at the end, which introduces textures we had yet to see in the episode.

My favorite portion has to be the climb to the San Andreas SIgn, and then the platforming to the Ship and the ship itself. I remember I used to use the Steroïds and run around swiftly for the boss, hoping it would make me a harder target. I'm sure it doesn't work that much, but sometimes I can't help but feel it does >_>

As for the music, like I said it's one of the few I remembered from when I was a kid and I like it, I got 5 variations of it afterall. My only complain would be that the drums in most midi soundfonts tend to be a bit too loud ...

Closing Thoughts : (because I like Quacken's idea). While this is my least favorite episode because of how short it is, I gotta say, it's a perfect Shareware episode as it shows off a good bunch of what the Build Engine can do, and having 6 levels to play is a good deal for a Shareware. Asside of that, I also like the progression in the levels, especially the fact that the more you advance, the more it asks of you. Level 3 has a tiny bit of platforming, 4 has a bunch of water sections and platforming, and 5 has a lot of verticality to it.
Trully a good way to sell the game and then introduce players to the full deal !

Not going to talk about "Faces of Death" because, I'm not a fan of its music and it's a multiplayer level in the first place. It's more graphic than the other levels, if anything it might even be the more graphic one of the bunch, but gameplay wise, it doesn't inspire me anything >_>

Lastly, if I were to rank the levels, that would be : #1 "Toxic Dump", #2 "Abyss", #3 "Death Row", #4 "Hollywood Holocaust, #5 "Launch Facility" and #6 "Red Light District. Though if it were possible, I would gather up all last 3 into one big #4 ^^

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 04 April 2022 - 02:38 AM

2 in one day exceptionally.

SpacePort :

For a first level of an episode, this one introduces quite a load of stuff O_o ! Almost all weapons already, almost all inventory items and a new enemy (one of my favorites).

This level is more memorable than the average in my opinion for its verticality and the visual of the central pillar with a forcefield protecting it and dropping all the way through it. Now I don't find this level to look like a space port per say but at least we can see 2 docking bays serving as the start and finish. A way to introduce the little story-telling of this episode, which I always thought to be Duke jumping from station to station towards the Moon.
I like the space themed levels just for the sight of the planet from a window. When I was a kid I didn't care, but I'm sure some people of the time must have had that "wow" feeling when seeing Earth from the station(s).

Apart from that, the level is actually quite linear, with a small backtrack. However I must say that most of the secrets are cleverly hidden IMO, and the possible use of the JetPack as well for 2 if I'm not mistaken. I'll just say that the last secret (blue room with 2 4th weapon ammo) is kinda obnoxious to find >_>
I'm gonna have to ask what is the thing we see in the distance at the end of the level ? Because, it doesn't really look like the starting area of the next level. Maybe it is meant to be, I don't know >_> Regardless, I like the idea.

For the music, it's one of those music where, I like it in-game but not so much out-game. It goes well with the invaded space station theme, and heck even the name of the track fits !

Overall, a creative level in its progression, originality of having wide open windows on space, some scenic details, and lots of new stuff introduced. It sure as hell doesn't waste any time to tell the people who bought the full game, after having played shareware, that it was going to be well worth it.

Incubator :

That's one of the levels I remembered from when I was a kid. I remembered the dark room with the windows opening and seeing the strange green texture on the opposing wall, as well as the final room. I remember I was too scared of going in the water because of those Octabrains. Anyway, I prefer this level becuase it has more appealing visuals IMO. Not architecturally but aesthetically. There are more varied lights and they chain up together nicely.
Also you can't help but give some memorable credits to that console in the flickering room which forms itself in front of you. And I find the way to access the final room to be creative.

Gameplay wise, it plays more fluently than the previous level and with the same limited backtracking.Nothing much to say beyond that. Also it introduces the FreezeThrower, aka my favorite weapon (alongside the Expander).

As for the music, I like it more than the previous level's though it depends on the variation. It's hard to find a decent version of it. I only had 3 in my collection, one of which I eventually got rid off, and the only one that's genuinely good IMO was from a YT video called "Duke Nukem 3D - Space Storm HQ MIDI" which you can find today.

Anyway, can't wait to play the next level as it is one of my favorites of the episode ^^

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 04 April 2022 - 07:57 AM

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 04 April 2022 - 02:34 AM, said:

Not going to talk about "Faces of Death" because, I'm not a fan of its music and it's a multiplayer level in the first place. It's more graphic than the other levels, if anything it might even be the more graphic one of the bunch, but gameplay wise, it doesn't inspire me anything >_>

While i agree that E1L7 wasn't that great i actually liked its Midi music AHGEEZ.MID and used to listen to it very often.

Anyway, I played a bit more of Lunar Apocalypse and completed Level 5 Occupied Territory, Secret Level Spin Cycle, Level 6 Tiberius Station and Level 7 Lunar Reactor. IMO this is part of this episode where things are getting even more interesting.

Duke Nukem 3D - Lunar Apocalypse - Damn I'm Good - Part 2
You can watch gameplay video here: https://files.fm/f/h9fvg2p89

Screenshots:

Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 15-43-15-282.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 15-57-29-538.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 16-07-28-489.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 16-24-27-857.jpg

I have finished Lunar Apocalypse on Damn I'm Good skill. Man, the final part of this episode is amazing. Literally i played it thousands of times already and it never gets old. It's so memorable. :D

Duke Nukem 3D - Lunar Apocalypse - Damn I'm Good - Part 3
You can watch gameplay video here: https://files.fm/f/xvaavhbwy

Screenshots:

Attached Image: mpc-hc 2022-04-04 23-16-28-681.jpg Attached Image: mpc-hc 2022-04-04 23-17-23-629.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 21-47-16-066.jpg Attached Image: mpc-hc 2022-04-04 23-18-38-129.jpg

User is offline   NNC 

I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here, but I liked the concept of the different pigcop placements per skill setting in Hollywood Holocaust. Creators thought most players will start with Let's Rock, so they held pigcops back until that giant explosion after the red key. Red key in the original game often meant a big danger ahead (unlike the blue, which was usually the first key in the levels, and often only changed the tone of the level). The first Let's Rock pigcop was damaged by the explosion, and can be killed easily. Two more followed before the nukebutton. In CGS, they are in large numbers in the entire level, the creators assumed, you play the game on harder skill after finishing it on LR.

Similar thing was seen in Doom, when the difference between the HMP and UV Hangar was huge, probably bigger than in any other level. Hangar was just a 6 enemy pushover in HMP, but you got like 16 shotgunners in UV.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 05 April 2022 - 12:56 AM

I have completed first 4 levels of Shrapnel City on Damn I'm Good skill. The Flood Zone was one of my favorite levels here, while i disliked some aspects of L.A. Rumble. Overall, this seems to be great episode as well!

Duke Nukem 3D - Shrapnel City - Damn I'm Good - Part 1
You can watch gameplay video here: https://files.fm/f/df85xu6b3

Screenshots:

Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 21-55-34-391.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 22-06-17-032.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 22-16-17-292.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-02 22-21-44-770.jpg

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostDNSKILL420, on 03 April 2022 - 11:11 AM, said:

Flood Zone is another map I see hated on quite often. Oh boo hoo, I have to travel underwater for part of the map. This is another map that is honestly fairly short and compact, with the combat being what adds to its length. I like this level and recall playing several Dukematch rounds on this stage. This map is pretty straight forward if you know your way around it. It's not a bad map in my opinion, but I do wonder how it could've been if they had kept the Santa Monica Pier connection with it being slightly longer of a level.

L.A. Rumble is more like it. This map feels a lot bigger than the ones preceding it in this episode. I love having to go through these buildings and having to either use a jetpack or jump and fall your way between the main buildings. There's plenty of sniping positions all around the buildings, making you a sitting Duke from the streets. This map has an abortion clinic in it, but honestly I did not even realize that's what was there for a long time. The lady waiting outside is gonna be waiting a long time for her abortion. I always found it funny the pig cops surround her in that area, then turn to deal with Duke.

I've never seen any real criticism towards Flood Zone TBH (and if you have, then tell me who said it, so I can kick their asses!). Personally, it's hands down my single favourite level from Duke 3D! As for L.A. Rumble, I have to say it always did feel quite too short for me on the other hand. Basically you can skip to the very end if you have a jetpack. Also a large part of the level is accessible only from the secret with all the sniper-pigs spawning along the ledge.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 05 April 2022 - 12:55 AM, said:

I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here, but I liked the concept of the different pigcop placements per skill setting in Hollywood Holocaust. Creators thought most players will start with Let's Rock, so they held pigcops back until that giant explosion after the red key. Red key in the original game often meant a big danger ahead (unlike the blue, which was usually the first key in the levels, and often only changed the tone of the level). The first Let's Rock pigcop was damaged by the explosion, and can be killed easily. Two more followed before the nukebutton. In CGS, they are in large numbers in the entire level, the creators assumed, you play the game on harder skill after finishing it on LR.

Yeah, ck3d brought this up to me some time ago about how thoughtful the presentation of pig cops is there - an explosion, then they come roaring at you from a dark corridor where you can only see their glowing red eyes, pretty neat. One of the small details that makes Hollywood Holocaust such a damn fine and memorable first map.

I have completed Movie Set, Secret Level Tier Drops, Rabid Transit and Fahrenheit on Damn I'm Good skill. I liked the Movie Set's realistic design. I also liked Rabid Transit. Tier Drops was probably meant for Multiplayer while Fahrenheit was kind kinda of boring and frustrating but it had built really nice architecture overall! :)

Duke Nukem 3D - Shrapnel City - Damn I'm Good - Part 2
You can watch gameplay video here: https://files.fm/f/8naxjjwa2

Screenshots:

Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-04 02-48-55-663.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-04 02-58-16-759.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-04 03-08-04-181.jpg Attached Image: DOSBox 2022-04-04 03-15-59-350.jpg

Quick reaction to Gingis Kahn, well yeah the music is okay. I must say it goes well with a relatively cramped multiplayer map like E1L7, it gives off a messy feel that would fit an MP match. Just not my taste ^^

Warp Factor :

This level is one of the few I remembered from when I was a kid, and it's also one of my favorites in the entire game. I used to be scared as a kid mostly because of the level's much darker and less busy tones, and the eerie soundtrack. Also the many little ambushes and nasty surprises, like the collapsing elevator and the Drones. Also the fact that Enforcers come from a previously visited area when you entered the room with the Switch to the final place. All these little surprises and ambushes were keeping my kid-self under pressure.
Another thing that had marked me as a kid, was the RPG room at the end of one of the Red Corridors. Entering it and hearing a distant BattleLord having spawned had scared me like crazy back then. To the point I no longer dared entering that room later. And having come across the BattleLord made me not want to continue.

The architecture of the level is quite unique. I know the whole Star Trek thing but I never realized until I had read the Duke Nukem Wiki many many years later. I like the Red Corridors with the capsule navigating between the two, and the ark-shaped room the huge window of which you can open. It completely changes its feel. Also, when it's dark, you can't help but feel the place is bigger than it really is before opening the window. This level also sees the introduction of the Commanders, though I don't know what to say about it.

As for the music, it's one of my favorites. I may have only 4 variants of it in my collection, I just like how it fits the level's ambiance, and I like the theme. Though I feel it would have been better if the theme had been slightly less loud.

Anyway, one of the best levels in the game IMO.

Fusion Station :

Another level I remembered from when I was a kid. Mostly because that level was the one that scared me the most for its ambiance, it's ununderstandable layout for my kid self, and its difficulty. When I was a kid, most of my Ep2 runs ended in this level. The dark, flashing room with the pistons and the Enforcers emerging from the shadows was quite a mark. And those surprise explosions in the corridor caused an instant death for me upon discovery, not helping my being afraid of this level. The red room with the Generator was also impressive for my younger age.
I used to hate this level because of these memories, but now that I look back at it, it's another trully memorable level alongside the previous one. This one has many memorable parts, and the architecture is unique and asked for crativity on the designer's part. The ambiance and the music work top notch.

Gameplay wise, I find it to be the first major difficulty spike in the episode. Previous level kinda was, but I find this one to be a bit challenging, even when you already know. Because of the many occasions to fall, and the darkness making enemies harder to spot. And those Drones can catch you off-guard if you didn't see/know where they spawn from. And the final room is one last little trial for good measure.

The music, I'm not a fan of. It's a bit too pronounced compared to the previous one. Also, my being a "fan" of Oblivion where that music is used way too much kinda played a role too >_> However, it works damn fine with the level's ambiance, and in leaving a mark in my memories after having struggled through it as a kid.

In the end, I progressively went from disliking this level based on child memory, to considering it another one of the best levels in the episode IMO !

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostAleks, on 05 April 2022 - 06:58 AM, said:

Yeah, ck3d brought this up to me some time ago about how thoughtful the presentation of pig cops is there - an explosion, then they come roaring at you from a dark corridor where you can only see their glowing red eyes, pretty neat. One of the small details that makes Hollywood Holocaust such a damn fine and memorable first map.

It's present as early as in the concept art/design documents for the level IIRC, with a specific mention of 'max visibility', always thought that was really neat.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 05 April 2022 - 09:03 AM

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 05 April 2022 - 08:53 AM, said:

Quick reaction to Gingis Kahn, well yeah the music is okay. I must say it goes well with a relatively cramped multiplayer map like E1L7, it gives off a messy feel that would fit an MP match. Just not my taste ^^

BTW, E1L7 is also bit outta place when it comes to be part of L.A. Meltdown, as it's space styled map and would fit more as a part of Lunar Apocalypse in my honest opinion. Interestingly enough, In World Tour 20th Anniversary edition of Duke Nukem 3D, E1L7 is turned to official secret level that could be reached from The Abyss.

User is offline   NNC 

I didn't think about the darkness, but indeed. Pigcops were scary when we met them first time there. Also the first ambush ducking pigcop at the start of Red Light District was scary back then. It killed me with 3 shots. It was a statement enemy there: this game won't get easier now on. Pro level design is pure art.

View PostGingis Khan, on 05 April 2022 - 11:54 AM, said:

BTW, E1L7 is also bit outta place when it comes to be part of L.A. Meltdown, as it's space styled map and would fit more as a part of Lunar Apocalypse in my honest opinion. Interestingly enough, In World Tour 20th Anniversary edition of Duke Nukem 3D, E1L7 is turned to official secret level that could be reached from The Abyss.

I agree. Though, technically, it has always been accessible from "The Abyss", it's just ridiculously convoluted and requires some cheating >_>

If I remember correctly, you must use the secret exit located in the penultimate room of the UFO (in one of the alcoves that open when you approach them). It will send you to "Launch Facility" and then you must play all the way to "Abyss" and use the secret exit again, and it will take you to "Faces of Death".

I don't think there's any way to glitch into the secret exit without using dnclip ...

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 06 April 2022 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Okay, confession time. I actually blew through all three episodes in a single night, the very first day this thread hit. In fact I continued on into DC (which I always play after Shrapnel City due to the congruent gameplay with none of the extra additions from The Birth), and it just took a week for me to do this first write-up. At first I wondered if I should even bother; I literally play this game 2-3 times a year start to finish, all expansions, and a few choice mods. But then I decided screw it it's another excuse to play through my favorite FPS ever made and like one of my top 5 games of all time.

i like this game a lot ok leave me alone

I briefly considered using DOSBox, but then I decided I wanted to actually enjoy the game. I paid my dues in playing the DOS version all the way up until like 2010. It's very hard to go back (and I'd argue pointless outside of historical purposes) with all the QoL improvements eduke32 brought, and the bugfixes both they provide, as well as Darkus' game.con fixes which I almost never play without anymore unless a mod forces me to. I don't really do the whole nostalgia-service thing, so I don't feel bad bumping up the feel of the game to make it even better.

I also decided I would do something a bit different this time. Instead of just reviewing the levels, I thought it would be better to be ultra subjective and explain my personal experiences with these levels throughout time. I don't remember my life outside of the game during the quarter of a century I've played this thing (for the better probably), so I'm going to focus strictly on my relationship with the levels on their own. To help with that by making the levels feel fresh again, I also turned on the voxel pack and used the classic skyboxes.

So with that said, let's start with episode 1. Every single level was done on CGS, with 100% kills and 100% secrets, and this is true for every episode and every level I play.

Hollywood Holocaust
I have no recollection of my first time playing this level, or how I was even introduced to the game. The only thing I remember is that my uncle was the first to have it (and later gave his copy to us. Worth noting that he had the Atomic Edition right out of the gate so it took me a while to figure out why Stadium seemed to have a complete ending despite there being a fourth episode). He presumably showed my father, and then somehow somewhere I was showed the game and allowed to play it. My father didn't exactly care about the game's violence or sexual content (which let's be real, all the women were naturally covered up in some way); his logic was always that it's fine for kids to play this sort of game as long as you were the good guy.

I wish I had any sort of memory of the first time I played this game, this whole new world of (somewhat faked) 3 dimensional gaming but I just don't. I just know I played it with the joystick and keyboard like they did, and that for a long time I never knew this was the third entry in a series.

What I can say, however, and without any hyperbole or exaggeration, is that in the time since I first played this game I have come to learn this level better than some of the places I've lived in. That's simply how much I have played this damn game, and this first level in particular.

You know how when you read a book or something, you tend to visualize environments using familiar places to you as a base? Well... the L-shaped street is ingrained into my mind so much that it is unconsciously used as such a base. There are like three locations total that have ever been so imprinted into my mind from a video game to ever accomplish that, and one of those remaining two is Red Light District.

As for the level itself, I don't think there's anything I can add that hasn't been said a million times before. The only thing I can contribute is to the often-commented fact that you get every E1 weapon in this level, which was unique for the time (and even today, really), and that's all true.

But what I don't often see mentioned is that that's true for almost every episode start. The only one that doesn't give you all weapons is Spaceport (and even then you're only missing the Freezethrower).

There's not too much else I can add here. As a kid I never picked up on the fact that it was a porn theater, and honestly even as an adult I needed someone to point it out. The "film" itself is generic enough that I could accept that it had nothing to do with pornography and was just an exotic dancer, and the theater is oddly high-class for such a function.

"Stalker" is a classic song, by the way.

Red Light District
The other level whose layout is permanently etched into my mind, again particularly the street area. Additionally, when I dream about playing Duke 3D, a lot of the time the level showcased in the dream is in some way based on RLD, or otherwise straight-up is RLD with a few dreamy changes here and there. I have no idea why.

I believe this level marks the first time I was ever scared by a video game. The octabrain in the sewer was terrifying for me. Its noise and the face it makes while doing its mental attack was too much for my kiddy self, and I wasn't able to even watch the game for a good while (Ironically, this very same frame of the Octabrain would later be scientifically proven to calm me down as an adult). I actually can't remember if I encountered it while playing myself or if I was watching my uncle play it.

As an encore, I would then go on to be traumatized by watching his daughter (my cousin) play, I think, Jump Start 4th Grade where the opening cinematic has all the children turned into zombies, and also watching my father play King's Quest VIII.

I am very glad I never played Doom as a kid. Imagine what an easily-scared kid would do upon seeing a 10 ft. tall skeleton shriek at the top its nonexistent lungs.

On the topic of fear, RLD is also the first time I think DN3D's famed atmosphere really starts to kick in. The drab music, the unattended but open store and bar, and the phones. As a kid, and even as an adult, interacting with the phones to get just a buzz tone is eerie. It's the first time the whole alien invasion thing really paints itself, alongside the fact that you're in the heart of overrun territory. If you're lucky, you'll hear the occasional distant sound of the only other nearby human forces plummeting to their deaths.

I'm pretty sure it was this very level that made me ask either my father or my uncle where everyone went, only to be told they were dead, captured, or turned into pigs. I remember that grim notion hit pretty hard back then, but I didn't let that keep me from playing even though at the time I detested such tones (of course these days I love that sort of thing).

I don't have much to comment on regarding the strip club. Contrary to what Aleks has said... I didn't really care all that much as a kid. Even when interacting with the strippers, I didn't really think much of it. If anything I was more interested in seeing if there was a limit to how many dollars Duke had on him. And as an adult, I still really don't think much of the strippers since there's not much to see. They have tassels beneath their tops so it's not much even now.

That didn't stop them from being turned invisible once my mother threw a fit (more on that in episode 3). That was the first time I noticed the effects of the parental lock, and also its shortcomings. They were still there, and you could even tip them, but they were just invisible. Made it obnoxious during the club fight since I couldn't see where they were and hadn't memorized their locations. Of course that wasn't the worst thing that the parental lock did. It killed the end-of-episode cutscenes, which I did actually miss.

Something I did as a kid and still do as an adult (during runs where I'm taking my time at least, like this one) is to play pool. The only difference in how I play is a better understanding of the rules. I now like to play a variation of 8-ball, but obviously it's not perfect due to the very simple implementation of ball physics. I don't usually win.

As for the level itself, I do have a few more things to add. I caught on to the porn store actually being a porn store much earlier on thanks to the storefront sign. Of course, it would be a little while yet before I caught on to what the booths were and why they had toilet paper in them... I do appreciate the joke of calling that area the "arcade."

As for it being "not that impressive..." I quite disagree. It's the first (and possibly only?) vanilla level to build itself around having two huge setpieces, both of which show the power of the Build engine. The destructive scripting of the condemned building (which I think still holds up today if only because you don't really see whole building demolition in modern games at all, so the competition isn't exactly cutthroat), and the multiple colored lighting for the strip club that you battle in. That last one might not be as impressive today, but then again you don't see those kinds of arenas period anymore so...

Death Row
Not as much to say about this one. It sticks out in my mind as being the level responsible for us owning Duke 3D. For reasons I'm still not sure of, the game always crashed on my uncle's PC almost every time he left the prison into the courtyard. Fed up with it he just gave it to us, and we didn't have that problem.

It also sticks out in my mind as one of the first levels where I managed to piece together the situation myself. That is, that Duke was literally in the electric chair in an attempt at execution. Of course, that fact makes it all the more fun to achieve 100% kills. Because what's more badass than breaking out of the electric chair, kicking guards to death until you get a gun, and then killing every last motherfucker in the prison before making your escape aboard a submarine? Leaving a trail of corpses in your wake with a building half-destroyed is peak 90s FPS.

That said, as a kid, for some reason I didn't care as much about this level. In some of the levels way back then, I used to like to play pretend scenarios in the levels, almost like a playset. I wasn't as interested in the prison for whatever reason; I preferred playing that kind of thing in Pigsty (in another execution room no less, completely missing the meaning of that room).

Also it took me until playing this level with the HRP that I noticed the map in the level was actually a map of the level. Felt pretty dumb afterwards.

Side note, are there a pair of NVGs at any point in the level before you exit the sewage pipe? I know there's a pair right outside the front doors to the prison, by then you would have already made your escape. I ask because of the message in the death row holding cell that's supposed to give you a hint on how to escape. Always bothered the hell out of me.

Toxic Dump
I always thought the way Duke said his opening line was very strange. Alien Armageddon interprets the line as "this sub" instead of "the sub" and I'd actually argue that's probably true. It would explain why that part always sounded so odd.

It took me a while to realize we started this level in the submarine we ended the last level in. ...Okay that's not quite accurate. I know that's where we were supposed to be, but I couldn't visually link the two. It wasn't until I was in my teens that I realized the white squares were the floor and the "emergency hatch" was the same hatch we entered from. The fact that one of the secret compartments was aligned to the sunken version and covered by what appeared to be plungers didn't help in linking the two locations (and when I did I kinda realized, "hey Duke you ended the last level by hitting the Auto-Destruct. Maybe it wasn't the aliens who blew up the sub?").

I really don't have any particular memories about this place, other than the one switch you have to shoot to get the smashers to carry you to the other side being a pain in the neck. It still is, honestly.

I also don't have a lot of strong feelings about the level itself, either positive or negative. It's just kind of there. I mean I remember in the DOS version, thanks to my controls where I jumped with one button and crouched with the same one but double-tapped, I discovered the exploit that shrunk your hitbox without actually needing to be shrunk. Doing it that way seemed to even make it easier to execute.

The only complaint I have about this level is that it's the one level that stretches the continuity aspect the most (without plain giving up). There doesn't seem to be any way for the sub to have entered that area.

Launch Facility
My father was the one who discovered the secret exit to this place, and in turn showed me. Never quite bridged how you got here from there, but I learned honestly only recently that where you end is the exact same slime river the previous level ended at. You can even see the exact same area on Toxic Dump's map. Don't get me wrong, I knew the places were related but I thought this level ended further downstream or something, not at the exact same place.

I now find that fact super neat.

Was always kind of bummed you never saw the rocket take off, but the destruction sequence is cool at least. I also liked that you could then view the wreckage if you so chose. It was also possibly one of the most grim moments in the game considering you're knowingly blowing up the rocket with two podgirls in it. It's a mercy kill but still.

The Abyss
I think this was the level that made me the most uncomfortable as a kid. Sure there are plenty of obvious reasons why that would make sense, but I don't think I was aware of them as a kid. Just the general vibe was... unpleasant. That's not a mark against the level, of course. It's one of the peaks of this game's dark atmosphere. The fact that it made my idiot kid brain hesitate without even knowing why is a testament to that.

In fact, this level was the first discovery of what I always thought was the game's creepiest mystery: the messages in the dark. (Death Row doesn't count because I didn't find that message until years later for the reason I already explained). Who, exactly, is leaving these hidden, somewhat cryptic messages in the darkest corners of the levels?

I mean the obvious answer is the level designer. And sure, yeah, that's true, but where do they come from within the context of the levels themselves? The ghosts of the native americans that used to inhabit this canyon? Then why are they in other levels deep within the city?

The fact that some mysterious person, or group, or otherworldly thing was writing these messages to you in the dark, without ever being seen, and always one step ahead of you... the notion always creeped me out, and it still does. These aren't old messages; they're reacting to even the aliens. ("Go with the flow", because that's where the alien ship is).

For the record I'm not counting the easter egg message that Levelord actually signed.

Speaking of, 50% of the time as a kid I would get stuck at this level. I'd try to fly right towards the end, but the various touchplate triggers hadn't opened the next path yet. I'm not sure if that's a level design flaw or not because it's something that only affects you if you get the secret jetpack from the secret level.

One final note. Despite the starry night above, it sure is bright in this canyon, despite there being no source of artificial light. I kinda see why Serious Duke 3D set this level in the morning instead.

Faces of Death
I usually play this level as a part of Plug And Pray, but I decided why not (though I still saved this for after episode 3 but I'm talking about it now because it's technically a part of this episode). I used the WT version of this level (and thus the WT version of the Abyss, but still in eDuke32) so that it could actually be beaten.

I think it's a pretty alright level. It's obviously a dukematch map but it's not unfun to kill the battlelords with every weapon from 1.3D available to use. It has one unique texture not seen anywhere else in the game, aaaand...

Yeah not much else to say. And since in the DOS version you could only reach this level by cheating or glitching the hell out of the Abyss, I have no experience with this level as a kid. Didn't play this for the first time until like 2009 or something, when I learned it was even a thing.

I do have this level's music assigned to a hotkey, though. I think it makes a great boss fight song (except Stadium where I use the default (because it's only a boss fight), and The Queen where I use It's Green instead (also on a hotkey)).

User Map
Didn't play this time. Seen it before; a really tiny octagonal arena with a roof held up by four columns. There's really no reason to look at this in single-player. Maybe it's a good DM map but it's not even interesting in SP like the original version of Faces of Death.

That's it for episode 1. Hopefully my E2 write-up won't come as late, but it might because I have a lot to say about Lunar Apocalypse. It's my favorite episode of the whole game, for a few reasons but one particular reason I know I've talked about before. And yeah I'm gonna talk about it again because of how it made me completely rethink this game, elevating it from "a childhood favorite" to "a masterpiece" in my mind.

As for episode 1 itself on the whole, I appreciate that the levels are a whole journey, chronicling Duke's return to Earth, capture, escape, and then heading to the source of the alien invasion only to find out the situation is much worse than it first appeared. It feels like a stronger and proper journey, especially compared to other FPS shareware episodes like Doom's, Wolfenstein's, or ROTT's. I think the only other shareware FPS episode to match this sort of feeling was Quake, but even then Duke feels alot more cohesive despite the varying locations. It's probably because of the gradual increase in desert, wasteland textures and the slow erasure of urban/mechanical ones, whereas with Quake it's more that you just change texture themes between certain levels with no gradual shift.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 06 April 2022 - 01:01 AM

Ninety-Six, there is a pair of Night Vision Goggles inside a secret door located in the Two Big Cogs Room. You see the Atomic Health on the right ? There is a thin walk-way against the wall. Follow all the way to the very slightly brighter section of wall and open the small cache.

Meanwhile.

Occupied Territory :

Now this is the last level of Ep2 I relatively remembered from when I was a kid. Because I never managed to finish Ep2 as a kid because of Fusion Station and the levels being a bit longer than Ep3s, at least that's how it felt since I had managed to beat Ep3 as a kid.
While I like this level for its more chill ambiance thanks to the music and atmosphere, I realize it's not the most memorable one of the bunch ... The memorable parts IMO are the big room's diagonal windows opening in an ominous way (neat effect BTW), the Super Duper Fast Conveyor Belt, and the TRIPLE BattleLord fight. I think this fight and the one in the final room were what made me struggle to finish the level as a kid, even on Easy. The Triple fight being my favorite of the two. Also, nice architecture in the final room. A quite original way of building a bridge.
I don't think I ever managed to find the secret level as a kid, truth be told, I was scared of BattleLords and being ambushed from behind by Enforcers didn't help observation >_>

Gameplay wise, it's pretty much the most linear level we've seen so far. Fusion Station was very linear too but you could break it to smithereens with the JetPack, which isn't the case here. A tiny bit at the end ...
But I like its flow regardless. It's more chill after Fusion Station. A swarm of Drones and then 5 BattleLords to wake you up just in case !

As for the music, it's one of my favorites in the episodes alongside the 3rd level's. It goes quite well with its chiller ambiance and I like the theme. I got 5 versions of it and my favorite one is a SC-55 version with the buzzy noise you can hear at the beginning severely toned down all along, and with the voices instead of the other instrument (hard to describe).

Anyway, a level I like a lot, but I realise it's not as memorable as the previous 2 or 3 ...

Spin Cycle :

Well, there's nothing much to say about this level given how it's a gimmick level. Just a circle with a rotating belt. The one interesting this about this level is that you can turn it into quite the challenging mess if you have all enemies spawn and then try to take them on with the rotating belt. Or you can take the boring route and meticulously do everything one by one ...
Also, this level can actually be a blessing or a curse depending on how you perform. As you can get restocked on a lot of ressources, especially 5th and 8th weapons, but you can loose quite a lot of health if you're not careful and waste what's given to you.

Don't wanna stretch it since I find there's nothing much to say. I'll add that this is THE level where I have a genuine use for the HoloDuke. I always use it upon spawning the 2 BattleLords at the end. It makes them very very aggressive, which opens the opportunity to have one of them kill off the other. That's exactly what happened on my current playthrough ! Too bad it feels more like a stroke of luck >_>

As for the music, I'm not a fan of it. Similarly to "DeathCall", it's a track for which it's very hard to find a good variant of it. I like the finishing bit of the music, and the middle too. The only thing I don't like about it is how loud the voices are. If they were toned down a bit, that'd be much better IMO.

Regardless, this is another one of the more memorble levels of the episode, just because its architecture alone makes it stand out of everything else.

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 06 April 2022 - 06:45 AM

• Honored Donor

I used The Watchtower's revised version of this map for the video, because it fixes the unbalanced fights and corrects the sound effect issues. I've included a link to both versions of this map in the video description.

I think out of the two SP maps that were cut and later released, this is the best of those two. Without further edits to the starting area, the only place in the final game where this map may have made sense would've been after Freeway, as it is the only map with an exit vague enough to lead to something like this. Otherwise, it may have fit as another secret level for EP3, perhaps within LA Rumble. In an earlier beta, it was revealed in the CON that Episode 3's level order would've been a bit different, and this would've taken place after the other unused map, Sweeney. I imagine the maps before it were earlier versions of Hotel Hell and Bank Roll, so maybe the way the levels connected was a bit different before they finalized what was seen in the final product.

This map feels like it would probably be pretty fun in Dukematch, with all the areas to take cover and hide.

View PostAleks, on 05 April 2022 - 06:58 AM, said:

I've never seen any real criticism towards Flood Zone TBH (and if you have, then tell me who said it, so I can kick their asses!). Personally, it's hands down my single favourite level from Duke 3D! As for L.A. Rumble, I have to say it always did feel quite too short for me on the other hand. Basically you can skip to the very end if you have a jetpack. Also a large part of the level is accessible only from the secret with all the sniper-pigs spawning along the ledge.

I believe it was on Discord, someone was complaining because it was a water stage lol.

This post has been edited by DNSKILL420: 06 April 2022 - 08:49 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options