Duke4.net Forums: Duke Map/Dod of the Month Club - September 2021 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Map/Dod of the Month Club - September 2021  "This time, it's an episode!"

User is offline   Aleks 

What's this thing?
We play through a set of maps/mods during the month, and use this thread to discuss it as we're still all fresh with our comments/opinions/feelings about the maps.

What's the purpose?
  • Basically, there are 4 purposes:
  • Showcasing some of the older mods/maps to wider public - they definitely deserve the attention!
  • Getting more people to actually enjoy and appreciate the user content - because let's be honest, over the past 25 years this was really what kept Duke alive after all.
  • ...and while we're at it - keeping Duke alive by still enjoying it, as there's no new games in the franchise on the horizon (and let's be honest, they wouldn't be as good as some of this stuff!).
  • Having a more structurized discussion on maps than what's going in "Last map you played" thread - which is great, but it's basically a monologue most of the time.

Can I join?
Sure, as long as you find some spare time during the month to play the stuff that's on the table!

Why a month?
Because people have lives, jobs or other stuff to do (like mapping). For smaller maps, this could be shorter time - it's all up to debate in the future!

What port should I use? Are mods allowed? Where to get the maps?
It's entirely up to you how you play the game, so you can use whatever port or mod allowed - it would be cool to state in your posts what you're using too, as there might be some slight differences between the ports! As for the maps, they should be always linked within the first post.

How should I play the maps or post about them?
Again, it's up to you. You can finish them all in one go or play them one by one whenever you feel like. On Doom forums, there's a rule that you should keep the pace by not posting about a map that has a higher number than the day of the month, so e.g. on 6th you shouldn't post about map 7 etc. I think that might be a good practice if there's a large interest in this, but first let's see how active the thread is for a start - so if there's nothing going on, feel free to post about whatever map you want to.

Previous editions:

June 2021: Roch series by Pascal Rouaud

July 2021: Maps by Maarten Pinxten

August 2021: Maps and mods by Fakir and HighWire

For September, Duke Hard was chosen, a community episode made by lots of mappers led by a strong command of MetHy. This is one of the most known user add-ons for Duke. The premise is simple: aliens have taken over a skyscraper and Duke has to get rid of them, clearing it floor by floor up to the rooftops. There is a total of 16 regular levels and a secret level. This is definitely worth playing, so grab it from their ModDB page: https://www.moddb.co...-hard/downloads (I assume FistMarine would like to provide the download links for all the versions if anyone's interested - the download link is apparently for version 1.2).

Some screens can be also found on their ModDB page, so I will not repeat them and instead just leave a link for the screenshots page.

I assume it would be fair to post about each consecutive level for each day of the month up until 16th - with the exception of the secret level, which can be discussed anytime without spoiling where it's accessible I guess.

This post has been edited by Aleks: 01 September 2021 - 04:14 AM

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Well i have installed EDuke32 Addon Compilation and start playing DukeHard from there. I hope that's okay to play it from mod compilation if DukeHard itself is untouched? I already started playing it and reached level 3 for now. Note that i am playing on Default Skill Setting. (Let's Rock)

There are some screenshots of playing level 1 and level 2.

Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-23-08-219.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-23-15-918.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-23-27-102.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-24-13-889.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-24-42-937.jpg
Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-36-22-320.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-39-42-414.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-40-12-747.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-41-00-963.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-42-17-766.jpg
Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-42-55-328.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-42-59-976.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-45-23-803.jpg
Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-47-14-323.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-47-24-056.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-49-50-748.jpg
Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-51-05-725.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-53-36-808.jpg

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: eduke32 2021-09-01 14-39-44-915.jpg

This post has been edited by Gingis Khan: 01 September 2021 - 05:23 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

I assume FistMarine would like to provide the download links for all the versions if anyone's interested - the download link is apparently for version 1.2

Sure, no problem. Here is the download link that contains all versions: https://dukeworld.co...nt/tc/dukehard/
In the old_versions folder, you can find the initial summer 2014 releases (1.0 and 1.1) that I would recommend skipping if anyone wants to play the old versions. I will play them in latest EDuke32 2015 build (r5498) just to see how were the initial releases, which I played back then (though I don't remember if I played 1.0 or 1.1 but I remember it was one of the first things I played when I registered on the forum back then).

The latest versions are 1.2 (from summer 2016, which I will play in latest EDuke32 2016 build r5974) and 1.2.1 (from early 2018, which I will play in latest EDuke32 2018 build r7299) which are highly recommended. I just recommend grabbing the latest 1.2.1 version and playing it in the latest 2018 build or as Aleks mentioned, in the last build before clipping changes, which isn't too far away from my chosen build. It is unfortunate we have to rely on older EDuke32 versions to be able to play EDuke32-required mods but that's life, I guess. There is also a version of Duke Hard included in the EDuke32 Addon Compilation, though I don't know if it's the latest and if it works properly in newer EDuke32 builds, so I wonder if anyone is interested in playing the latest version of mod in latest EDuke32 build? I would have done myself if I didn't have to play through the mod four times already. :P

EDIT: Nice screenshots my friend! ;)

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 01 September 2021 - 05:28 AM

These screenshots are taken during playing DukeHard at levels from level 3 thru level 9. I must say since i haven't played this for while, i am actually having a quite fun. Of course, there were some annoying moments like those explosions in building at level 3, but that's what is making DukeHard fun and challenging. It really feels like an official expansion for Duke. I reached starting point of level 10 and saved the game there. Will continue playing tomorrow.

In meantime, enjoy the screenshots.

Attached Image: eduke32 2021-tile.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-tile2.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2021-tile3.jpg

User is offline   Aleks 

Wow, Gingis, you certainly didn't waste any time playing this! I'll take it more slowly and keep up with the level-per-day rule, especially since this one is delicious enough to be tasted one sip at a time. Since it's the 2nd September, I'll share some thoughts on first 2 levels (although I admit I'm quite a bit further by now - I won't be available for the next week, so gotta "stack"). This is my first time playing the addon.

Lobby

The starting map has a nice flow and quite creative look due to the use of some rarer textures - I especially like the decorations right at the beginning, with bars adorned with plants/ivy. My only complaint about the design would be that some of the shelves really could have been proper spriteworks. I also liked the Easter eggs, such as mapper names on mailboxes or the community references in one of the offices. The laundry was cleverly designed, along with the adjacent room with pipes. The combat seems to be a bit on the challenging side, which is nice. The final with re-shaping of one of the rooms and ability to take a look at some of the further maps was a nice touch. Let's see what's next!

Sharing some screens taken after clearing the level, just a bunch of my favourite designs:

Attached Image: duke0041.png Attached Image: duke0042.png Attached Image: duke0043.png Attached Image: duke0044.png

Executive

This one has quite a neat design, with great trimming and lots of details. However, I found the progression a bit confusing, especially at the beginning, where it took me a while to locate the place where I would open the door before yellow key lock (even found one of the pretty obscure secrets while looking for clues here). The Battlelord encounter further in the map was a bit tricky - I was concinved I've missed something, as the most powerful gun in my arsenal at that moment was shotgun and a bunch of pipe bombs, so I backtracked quite a bit looking for something more powerful. Turned out there was also a freezer inside a secret place. The explosions after the Battlelord seemed a bit unfair as well, as it limited the strategy to take him on to basically a very tedious "finding the right angle at the corner, then meticulously shotgunning the bastard". I liked the "puzzles" with insta-killing slide door laser things towards the end of the level. Design-wise it was great, but gameplay felt a bit unbalanced.

Attached Image: duke0045.png Attached Image: duke0046.png Attached Image: duke0047.png

This post has been edited by Aleks: 01 September 2021 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

This is all really cool, I had completely forgotten about some of the detail such as the mapper's names on the mailboxes in MetHy's map (I would have lots of good things to say about Lobby by the way, basically to me it feels like a classic Duke map to the point where I could see it as the intro of an official expansion pack, all the while relying on interesting texturing for a unique look), and on Gingis Khan's shot you can see the crazy working hours of the sushi shop too. My map Commercial Break had exploitation as an implicit theme to it but since all those clues are merely decorative I don't think many really ever caught that (not that it would have been especially worth catching). Kinda wish I had made the progression less obscure in that one.

User is offline   quakis 

Link to my 2014 review: https://taw.duke4.ne...ke3d/duke-hard/

I won't have time to participate for this one, even for a chill replay. Still want to finish up my ROCH5 and onwards re-reviews, but also have a non-duke review clogging up the backlog I began drafting up well before writing the ROCH ones, which is my current focus. Doesn't help I've currently got my head down with mapping too, there's never enough time during a day, I swear.

This post has been edited by quakis: 01 September 2021 - 07:12 PM

I'm gonna use this opportunity to apologize to everyone for ruining Duke Hard with my map.

User is offline   ck3D 

Just to say, I posted earlier specifically to point out how the mappers' names on the mailboxes also coincided with the level order and of course I covered everything but that.

Looking at quakis' review, I also have very fond memories of Parking (what I was saying about Lobby also applies, the style is actually very close except Parking is on a bigger scale with its open central area), in retrospect in a way or two it's funny how it reminds me of Traffic Jam now except no L.A. river part. MetHy really did a great job with his maps, including the boss map, they're all more memorable than Sex City to me which he also designed for Metropolitan Mayhem and has some notoriety as one of the best levels in that pack.

The original release thread and reception at the time is quite the pool to dive into: https://forums.duke4...e-hard-episode/

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 September 2021 - 04:26 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Funny thing is that the original topic is still stickied. :D Anyway I look forward to revisiting this mod, I really enjoyed playing through it back when it came out.

I was supposed to make a contribution as well, but unfortunately I dropped out pretty quickly because I simply didn't find the inspiration to create something within the template.
I did have a couple of loose ideas, I wanted to make a big part of my map flooded and then at one point you would break the glass so the water would wash away.
And then you would go through the same section, but now unflooded. Alas, never made it past the conceptual stage.

In these screenshots you can see my gameplay of DukeHard from level 10 to all the way to Rooftop. I completed DukeHard on default skill setting Let's Rock. (Though i didn't played optional secret level)

Now that i done it here is my impressions:

-The last two levels before Rooftop (one that look like better version of Duke Burger and other was Mister Sinister's map) were confusing at many times, but this "too way much puzzles" stuff was actually pretty well done and balanced, making it enjoyable and epic at same time in this way. Especially Mister Sinister's map which had yet on first look confusing yet on end genius idea with bouncing off from window to window in order to reach certain. Not many maps had this idea, so good job Mister Sinister! (Hope i explained well, sorry guys my english suck.)

-Level 12 with that library was so interesting and epic. Its cool combination of library, office style and horror motifs was mind blowing in positive way! Traveling to the other dimensions really was an interesting idea and that is what makes this level so epic and unique, not many other user maps used this "Traveling to the other dimensions" stuff, at least not represented in this epic genius way. This is my favorite and most memorable map in DukeHard. Now small question regarding level 12 storyline, what exactly were happening to Duke here? Did he traveled to alternate reality, alien other dimension or even temporary ended in Hell itself? Or maybe even all of above? I don't know what really were happening here but it was so well made and genius, one my favorite levels ever!

-Level 13 rulz because of well made realistic architecture and scenery. This is clearly proof that realistic environments CAN BE DONE in Build Engine if used right! (with little help of EDuke32 of course)

Now, MetHy, ck3D, Mister Sinister and all other people involved in DukeHard project, thank you for bringing us this genius masterpiece! With community projects like this, Duke Nukem will live forever and will never get old! Now some people from this forums say "Duke is Dead" because of trouble Duke Franchise IP went thru, but i strongly disagree with them. Because as long as hard working community makes projects like Duke Hard and Imperium Duke will always live!

Attached Image: eduke32 tile.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 tile2.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 tile3.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 tile4.jpg

BTW, Aleks, if you don't mind, since September just started and there is still plenty much time until this month ends, maybe i should replay DukeHard on Come Get Some this time? Maybe this time i will even do optional secret level? So what you say, would that count on this club as i already completed it on Let's Rock?

Enjoy the screens!

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostGingis Khan, on 02 September 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

BTW, Aleks, if you don't mind, since September just started and there is still plenty much time until this month ends, maybe i should replay DukeHard on Come Get Some this time? Maybe this time i will even do optional secret level? So what you say, would that count on this club as i already completed it on Let's Rock?

Enjoy the screens!

Sure, you can replay as many times as you want! ;) Nice description and screenshots BTW, you made a short work of this episode!

User is offline   NNC 

There were huge differences between the maps both in style and quality. I remember a few very good ones: Abstractech, Construction Deconstruction, Eat the Rich, Daedolon's one with the Duke Burger theme, ck3D's Commercial Break, with it's atmospheric mood, etc.

I have started playing DukeHard on Come Get some Will post screens later.

This post has been edited by Gingis Khan: 02 September 2021 - 09:16 PM

Ok here goes screenshots as i promised. These screens are taken during gameplay from level 1 to level 12 (which is my favorite one) on Come Get Some difficulty setting.

Aside from what i already said in my previous post when i finished DukeHard on Default Difficulty Let's Rock, now quoting myself:

-The last two levels before Rooftop (one that look like better version of Duke Burger and other was Mister Sinister's map) were confusing at many times, but this "too way much puzzles" stuff was actually pretty well done and balanced, making it enjoyable and epic at same time in this way. Especially Mister Sinister's map which had yet on first look confusing yet on end genius idea with bouncing off from window to window in order to reach certain. Not many maps had this idea, so good job Mister Sinister! (Hope i explained well, sorry guys my english suck.)

-Level 12 with that library was so interesting and epic. Its cool combination of library, office style and horror motifs was mind blowing in positive way! Traveling to the other dimensions really was an interesting idea and that is what makes this level so epic and unique, not many other user maps used this "Traveling to the other dimensions" stuff, at least not represented in this epic genius way. This is my favorite and most memorable map in DukeHard. Now small question regarding level 12 storyline, what exactly were happening to Duke here? Did he traveled to alternate reality, alien other dimension or even temporary ended in Hell itself? Or maybe even all of above? I don't know what really were happening here but it was so well made and genius, one my favorite levels ever!

-Level 13 rulz because of well made realistic architecture and scenery. This is clearly proof that realistic environments CAN BE DONE in Build Engine if used right! (with little help of EDuke32 of course)

Well i just add and say, and agree with Aleks that that weird moving pillar trap that guards blue keycard at Level 2 Executive was very well made, well designed and really forces player to think what to do next, in order to avoid getting squished.

Enjoy the screenshots!

Attached Image: eduke32 tile1.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 tile2.jpg

Later i will probably finish the remaining levels of this DukeHard masterpiece. ;)

User is offline   Aleks 

Little write-ups for 2 more levels.

Construction Destruction

My favourite one so far - both due to originality of design (and how well the theme is sold - I really enjoyed all the little details such as rolls of coverings/wallpapers, all the temporary supports, open wirings in the walls or markings on the concrete. Also adding lots of enemies outside of the building was a brilliant touch. The level is quite sequenced with different paths back and forth and moving furniture, which I liked. The gameplay/combat was fast paced with once again lots of scripted events and surprisingly good monster AI cooperation (Battlelords encounter was the coolest part, as while I was killing the stayput one, the other approached me seemingly out of nowhere! Also some commanders worked well, especially the last one who seemed to always fire the rocket on me right after the wall exploded). Few rooms maybe lacked some shadows, but overall it was a really great map! Again, some of my favourite details can be seen on the screens below:

Attached Image: duke0048.png Attached Image: duke0049.png Attached Image: duke0050.png Attached Image: duke0051.png

Bits

Very classic Mikko design - even before playing the map, I kinda knew what to expect when it comes to textures/visuals. This one is a bit linear and Half-Life type mission based, but I liked the premise behind it, with overheating and destroying the servers. The enemy encounters were once again nicely scripted, the tripmines-commander surprise behind the red key door was quite tricky to avoid losing lots of health. Commanders at the brief part outside of the building also posed quite a bit of welcome challenge. A solid entry, although very short compared to the rest and the symmetrical design might seem a bit uninspired.

Attached Image: duke0052.png Attached Image: duke0053.png

In a few hours, I'm going for a week's holiday, so won't be around - I'll post the next couple of levels when I come back.

This post has been edited by Aleks: 03 September 2021 - 02:28 PM

Two things about Dukehard in the most recent eduke32 builds:

1. The intro doesn't play properly: https://voidpoint.io...e32/-/issues/11

2. The last level has a clipping issue that prevents completing it. You will need to clip through a wire sprite to get to an essential switch: https://voidpoint.io...e32/-/issues/99

Just in case someone started it with a recent eduke32 build (build dates around 2019-2021)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 04 September 2021 - 09:37 AM

View PostDoom64hunter, on 04 September 2021 - 09:37 AM, said:

Two things about Dukehard in the most recent eduke32 builds:

1. The intro doesn't play properly: https://voidpoint.io...e32/-/issues/11

2. The last level has a clipping issue that prevents completing it. You will need to clip through a wire sprite to get to an essential switch: https://voidpoint.io...e32/-/issues/99

Just in case someone started it with a recent eduke32 build (build dates around 2019-2021)

Thanks for useful info. BTW i am using eduke32 build from December 2016 since beginning and didn't had any problem so far while playing DukeHard. But still, this was really useful information for those who aren't aware that recent eduke32 build may broke something at DukeHard. Thanks for sharing.

I am proud to say that I finally finished replaying DukeHard this time on Come Get Some difficulty setting. Which also unlocked Randomized DukeHard episode which i may play in future, but this month, as a third replay, this Randomized DukeHard episode i may even play on Damn I'm Good difficulty setting, but later as i said, i need to take a break after replaying DukeHard two times in a row. Now as i already posted screens for my entire playthough on Let's Rock and first 12 levels on Come Get Some, now i am just posting the screens taken while playing remaining levels on Come Get Some difficulty setting. Enjoy!

Now for some odd reason, i found Come Get Some difficulty setting to be even easier than Let's Rock one while playing DukeHard, but this may be only my perception as i already knew my way around while playing on Let's Rock last time, which just helped me to play better on Come Get Some difficulty setting.

Attached Image: eduke32 1tile.jpg Attached Image: eduke32 2tile.jpg

User is offline   Aleks 

Seems not much was going on here while I was gone and apparently even the August topic got more attention - anyway, here's the write-ups for maps 5 through 10. I'm too lazy to take screens, but luckily Gingis Khan was kind enough to post a lot and cover pretty much every corner of each map :P

Abstractech

The premise of moving sectors and a more puzzle-based map worked very well in this one. The level has a distinct, classic visual style without too much details and relies more on the effects and very dynamic combat with lots of respawning monsters. The first commander was a bit dickish, as I had to kill it off with kicking. Also I wasn't too fond of the "obligatory secret" with how the way to yellow key through that vent is unlocked. Nevertheless, the map was a fun experience and a nice showcase of Build's effects used at a larger scale and with function over look. I also really dig the surprise ambush where the three rotating gears lower, revealing a bunch of new monsters to kill.

CEO Bathhouse

This one seemed very short and straightforward. The gameplay this time wasn't too challenging and there was nothing whatsoever to hamper the clear progression. The design seemed very basic (and built at a tad larger scale than we usually see it seems), but I like the use of the rarer Star Trek textures from E2L3 all over the place, nicely combined with some other stuff (e.g. the Atomic "maskwalls" around the red key rooms). A short and maybe not so memorable map, unique mostly for the texture choices.

Storage Wars

This one seemed like the least interesting map so far, being just one large and dark maze of boxes and crates. The enemy placement was very conservative, I barely lost any health except for a few encounters where I simply didn't spot the monsters due to darkness. One nice and quite original thing about this one was possibility to step outside on the ledges of the building - in the end, I was missing one enemy and found out it's a trooper that got stranded outside on the ground level, so I went onto one of the ledges and took him out with a precise pipe bomb throw. Agree with Quakis' review here that some sharp lights casting strong contrast shadows could do wonders here.

Eat the Rich

Another really good and memorable map, taking place in some kind of a penthouse. I loved the creative use of textures in here and the balance between really detailed stuff and some simpler shapes. One detail that caught my attention and was particularly clever is a folded white shirt in the laundromat (yeah, the one with upside-down Octabrain) made with some clever sector work. Gameplay is also quite unique in this one, as we're basically only given shrinker and expander for most part of the map (well, there's a shotgun in a secret place and chaingun later on), which makes for quite a fresh experience. The progression is clear, despite approaching most rooms through anything but doors, which can be only opened from the other side. Along with Construction Destruction, this is so far my favourite level of the pack, making the most out of the restricted area/theme of the episode. One thing I didn't like were weirdly double-blocked invisible walls along all the windows, but it's really minor. This was really my first encounter with Forge's mapping and I dig quite the unique approach.

Commercial Break

Rather humble combat wise, but full of super-dense atmosphere, brilliant design and some clever jokes (kopi luwak and the ferrets :D ). This is pure, unfiltered, old school, super-detailed MRCK at his finest, without any crampedness. It sells the theme of a cafeteria/restaurant floor (with the small Ikea shop - interesting idea with how it opens). The Battlelord encounter is really fun, as we're only provided with a freezer from the more powerful arsenal and gotta scavenge the furniture shop for ammo, luring our enemy back and forth between 2 entrances from the room where we open the curtains. One of the best maps in the episode so far. Also gotta love the Twin Peaks soundtrack used in here, too bad it seems to not loop properly - just had to load a different map then reload a save from this one again to make it play again. Reading on Quakis' review, I didn't even remember where the problematic switch was, so seems it didn't bother me at all.

Cinema Lounge

Taivo went super-original and crazy with design here - lots of palettes, but it really sells the theme of an arthouse, hipster kind of cinema. The gameplay is very lively and dynamic in this one with plenty of enemies encountered en-masse most of the time and some neat respawns, which makes for a fun and a bit challenging time. Once again we get to leave the building and walk around the edges for a bit, fighting off some flying enemies (the Octabrains in particular can be tricky). Some of the rooms (especially the blueish one with all the book/comic store textures), due to the paletted (from the floor palette) enemies and texture choice, bring a lot of nostalgic memories of early user maps, but of course with very modern and concious design. Both the look of the map and approach to a theme as old as Hollywood Holocaust itself is extremely fresh and appealing for me. So far this one might have been my favourite level of the pack. Also once again, the music fits the theme of the map perfectly! This time, I'm on the complete opposition to Quakis' review and funnily enough, this might be one of my favourite applications of Taivo's trademark style.

This post has been edited by Aleks: 10 September 2021 - 09:24 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostAleks, on 10 September 2021 - 09:24 AM, said:

Commercial Break

[...] Also gotta love the Twin Peaks soundtrack used in here, too bad it seems to not loop properly - just had to load a different map then reload a save from this one again to make it play again. [...]

Just for the record, that was deliberate. I remember someone actually fixed it during development by removing a lot of the empty space at the end (because there is some for a duration that is much longer than the average length of the level, which is why it doesn't seem to loop - but in reality it's because you'll complete the level before you get to hear the song again), and I had to tell them to change it back. I find it much more atmospheric if in this particular map this song only plays once, as soon as it stops all you hear anymore is the thunderstorm outside and ambient sounds and the sensation of being in a liminal space suddenly becomes a lot more intense. And the fact that it's this specific song too I find goes rather well with the feeling of broken/not right.

Otherwise I'm glad you liked it so much and didn't find the progression confusing although that last point shouldn't be a surprise given your taste for in-depth level exploration and attention to small detail. In this level I think problems start to happen if the player thinks they can rely on the apparent flow to rush and barge through every room in no particular order instead of thinking of the layout as a little puzzle to solve, with sections to unlock in order. That's when they will get stuck on the locked doors and wonder where the switches are because they didn't pay attention to the small clues I did drop in the visual storytelling occasionally. But I could have kept that design and just made those hints a little more obvious in order to better respect the flow, now that's on me.

Also a big fan of Taivo's map, but of James' too, the style is remarkable in both but I get how that's exactly why one will either 'get' it or not.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 11 September 2021 - 07:47 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postck3D, on 11 September 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

Just for the record, that was deliberate. I remember someone actually fixed it during development by removing a lot of the empty space at the end (because there is some for a duration that is much longer than the average length of the level, which is why it doesn't seem to loop - but in reality it's because you'll complete the level before you get to hear the song again), and I had to tell them to change it back. I find it much more atmospheric if in this particular map this song only plays once, as soon as it stops all you hear anymore is the thunderstorm outside and ambient sounds and the sensation of being in a liminal space suddenly becomes a lot more intense. And the fact that it's this specific song too I find goes rather well with the feeling of broken/not right.

Oh shit, then I didn't get it :D I actually remembered reading something about that thing with the music (maybe even in a conversation with you), but when I realised it's not looping, I recalled that and thought "ah yeah, must have been the broken thing!". It does make sense now that I look at it, to keep part of the level silent and with an atmospheric track that actually fits with such an approach. Twin Peaks theme certainly is that kind of track, but then also it's so good that I wouldn't miss listening to it on loop :P

Anyway, while I'm at it, here's my opinions on the 2 next levels:

Flesh

Misses my taste, even though the premise of a renting rooms/hotel floor that supposedly turns its guests into meat/uses them for satanic rituals is pretty cool. The map is quite dark and monotonous with it's textures, it's kinda shame that none of the lightswitches work, despite the fact implementing some dynamic lighting effects here should have been quite easy and would work well. The gameplay is a bit tedious - there's about 90 enemies, but it's mostly just the weaker ones (troopers/pig cops/enforcers) packed in bunches in every room, which slow the progression, but pose barely any threat (funnily enough, this is an issue Quakis had with Taivo's map, where I found the massive encounters a lot more absorbing). Again, the Battlelord encounter is a bit more interesting, as it comes surrounded by new beasts and enforcers, but the area makes it quite easy to get some cover. Ammo/enemy balance is quite nice here. The architecture of the place is clean and simple, which works, but then there's nothing really memorable. Also a shame the targets in the shooting range don't serve any purpose, I've spent a couple minutes trying different combinations only to end up disappointed...

Poorman's Library

Probably the most original and outstanding one, which isn't surprise considering it's a High Treason map. The library theme alone is sold very well, and the alter-dimension works great, I especially liked the part with jumping on enormous books... visually at least. Because yeah - the echo distortion in some parts of the map is fucking unbearable. I can almost appreciate the idea and how it's done, but then it gets so frustratingly annoying that it ruins the experience quite a bit. The horror theme is sold well enough by visuals/teleports/jumpscares alone in this one, but the sound only makes you want to get outta there as soon as possible instead of getting immersed in the atmosphere. The gameplay is pretty neat, with lots of scripted sequences (helicopter and alien "saucers" orbiting the building, monsters jumping and mortars shooting through windows, all the interdimensional teleporters) and quite perfect monster choice (again, the octabrain/new beasts parts work the best and can be quite challenging, getting the red card required some tricky jumping and fast decisions to get rid of the octabrains). I'd only unblock the chairs in the library, as they sometimes got in the way. Overall, it would be one of the best maps of the pack, but the experience is vastly hampered by the annoying sound distortion. Still a great map nevertheless!

This post has been edited by Aleks: 11 September 2021 - 03:02 PM

Ah well, here we go.

Rather than fall even further behind, I'll try to get this done this month and if there's time left, I'll go back and play the stuff from August. Unfortunately things are a bit slow still and it's gonna be a while before I'm back to full health. In the mean time...

Lobby:
A good starting level for introducing the idea of the add-on. The raising floor in the storage room is my favorite thing.

Executive:
While the level doesn't immediately give you a gun, it's not hard to get one if you only look. The moving death sectors are pretty cool.

Construction Destruction:
Not really a them I can ever think of a map sticking to throughout, so that's refreshing in its own way.

Bits:
Gives me Plutonium Pak vibes. A competent level.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Poorman's Library is my favorite level of the episode.

View PostNinety-Six, on 12 September 2021 - 01:42 AM, said:

Poorman's Library is my favorite level of the episode.

Mine too, one of best user levels made for Duke in mapping history. :)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostAleks, on 10 September 2021 - 09:24 AM, said:

Eat the Rich

thank you for the high praise

unfortunately I had to make the window blocking like that because players could use an exploit to get outside of the map or into the fishtank with the blue card

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 September 2021 - 01:28 PM

User is offline   Aleks 

Nice to see you're back at making these videos, High Treason! And Forge, yeah, I assumed it was to block some clipping, didn't expect this to be at such an extent there - but as I said, it was a really minor nitpicking.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm heading away again until the end of the week, so might as well just wrap up the whole episode now - starting with what ended up being my favourite map in the pack, and that is...

Showcase

Another awesome level, my favourite one of the pack by now. It balances brilliantly between top-notch design, challenging gameplay and the aspect of innovation/originality, that last one being probably the best executed and affecting the gameplay to a great extent. In fact I have found the stealth way right at the beginning, but decided to first finish the level berserker style, then replay it again and take the stealth route. The comparison between the two methods is probably where the level shines the most, it's pretty much perfectly balanced. Going through the movement sensors and triggering all the alien respawns is actually really challenging, especially with the limited ammo, but then the art gallery also provides plenty of cover for the firefights. On the other hand, there's still plenty of action when you disable the sensors, but it is notably easier and also a lot faster. This is something I've rarely seen that well balanced even in the games that would base their gameplay on a stealth/ninja approach. I liked the seeming scarcity of ammo that required looking around for it, also the secrets location was quite nicely indicated without being too obvious (i.e. you could basically see the secrets first, then just needed to figure out the way to reach them, also their location makes them actually useful for the gameplay. The design is a nice mix between neat, classic and clean stuff, Roch and even some Bob Averill details here and there. The art gallery itself shines the most, with lots of paintings (some of which unfortunately look weird in Polymost due to sprite clipping) and sculptures, but I also really loved the way how the large windows were fit into the layout/architecture of the whole building. Also all the ventilation shafts, technical rooms and small details like that make the floor look both very lively and add that bit of realistic feeling to it. Even the sounds for locked doors etc. are placed everywhere and work very well.

Legal Joint

Very classic design with lots of small details and twists. Probably has the best shadows in the whole episode - they are present everywhere, and some are a real pleasure to look at (especially the part of floor/wall that gets brightened up after blowing up an extinguisher in the small room with the red key - as a mapper I really appreciate how that effect is done!). There's lots of small, wall consuming details like the detailed books, projector, all the super precise green mold thing in one of the last rooms you visit, and the Dopefish... Yeah, I actually did enjoy searching for buttons, even if it took me a while to find them all, but the reward was a bit disappointing TBH - I was actually quite sure this would lead me to the secret level. The general layout of the level is brilliant - interconnections, use of ventilation system and the way how the whole level opens up in the end is very well thought of. The gameplay felt a bit unfair at the start, before grabbing any weapon, as it took me a while of triggering plenty of enemies before finding something to shoot with besides tripmines. Further down the road it's maybe not too challenging, but fun and enough to keep the player on their toes. Again, the room with green mold was the funniest to clear.

Power Out

Considering this is a Mister Sinister map, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get my mind blown to hell, but the criticism I've seen seems to be quite exaggerated. The level was a bit labrenthine, maybe due to there being a lot of similarly-textured rooms and similar doors, but it took me a while to get myself comfortable navigating this one. The ammo at the beginning seems quite scarce, to the point of avoiding some of the commanders instead of attacking them. I liked how the whole building floor could be circled around on the windowsill here. The design was nice, although it didn't seem to do justice to the theme suggested by the map's title - it was a bit dark, but I didn't really need NVG here. The "puzzles" to open the elevator leading to secret place were kinda clever - although I still believe the secret level should have been accessible through Daedolon's Dopefish secret...

Parking

This one was nicely fit as a secret level and had a good flow - especially with the "metroidvanian" finish where boots and steroids were required to pass through electrocuting floor. I liked the gameplay, especially how the first batch of monsters was quite challenging after entering the parking lot, wherever I went for cover, I encountered something new. But really, the most amusing part about the map was the "signature" cars of the other mappers (not all of them made the contributions here, unfortunately). Among my favourite ones were High Treason's sprite truck and MRCK's skateboarding van (even before noticing the skateboard and the ramp, I somehow knew this one will be MRCK's, took me a while to spot the name then, but by the time I've seen the skateboard, I didn't need more clues), but the coolest one was by far Cage's super-realistic Delorean! Canoe was also a nice touch, when I started noticing the "signature" cars of the authors, I wondered a bit about what I would build there myself and thought it would probably be a boat, so was nicely surprised that someone else also thought about it :)

Rooftop

The premise beyond this one is clear and obvious, but I have my issues with the execution. While the design looks cool (especially all the installations and devices on the roof make sense), there's a lot of cramped obstacles that make navigating through it quite difficult, which hampers the fun of fighting dozens of flying enemies coming from every side and the spammy alien ships/helicopter that keep shooting rockets in a pattern I've never really cared to figure out. The whole thing is quite spammy and chaotic since entering the rooftop, especially Battlelord fight felt a bit unfair because of how much of a disadvantage getting out of these wires was while getting shot at. Then the cycloid final fight seemed like the easiest part of it all, just a bit tedious. I might be nitpicking here, as the final was basically everything you could have expected and I can't imagine a better way to finish this episode - just kinda wish that High Altitude Face Off wasn't already used in Metropolitan Mayhem!

Conclusion: This was a great episode, to be honest, I didn't expect the levels to be such elaborate and diversified! Certainly something I will replay some day. Won't make my usual ranking this time, as the maps were created by different people, but just gotta emphasize that Showcase was my favourite one, followed by Cinematic Lounge, Commercial Break, Eat the Rich and Construction Destruction.

This post has been edited by Aleks: 14 September 2021 - 01:58 PM

I only started blowing minds circa 2017. Don't get yourself too hyped, dude

My favorite Duke Hard level is Legal Joint just because how damn fun it actually is.

User is offline   Aleks 

Bit late this month, as I've been busy as hell for the past few weeks - so this time it's just the voting straight away. Of course, you can add your own options.

1) Taivo's maps +
2) Last Reaction and Water Bases
3) 10 lesser known/older maps picked by Aleks (the exact titles will be a surprise until whenever this gets picked, also I think one option like that should stay every month, just with different person picking up the maps)

User is offline   FistMarine 

Haven't posted in a while and hopefully I'm not too late, however I have good news. 10 days ago I finished the initial 1.0 release, while last Friday I finished the first update 1.1. Both were finished 100% on CGS difficulty using EDuke32 r5498 (the latest 2015 build). High Treason's level (Poormann's Library) is only level that had a slightly different experience in each playthrough. What I mean is I suffered one death in 1.0 by falling into pit after getting devastator from secret area and had two missing enemies at end of level, while in 1.1 I had no deaths and only one missing enemy.

All rest levels were nicely completed 100% and no deaths with some help from YouTube videos (most notably, SSGmaster's playthrough) to find missing secrets or whatever and I will now talk about each level, along with attaching one screenshot of each level. I will not be as detailed as Aleks when reviewing maps because I don't have much to say and I will rather talk the overall impression about every map. I may or may not spoil the puzzle solutions in order to access the secret exit.

I haven't played yet versions 1.2 and 1.2.1 in their respective EDuke32 versions (r5974 and r7299), however I will do that this week and then let everyone know if they still work fine, just before the month is over and moving on to next month's choice. As far as I can tell, the older versions I played worked fine with the exception of a visual glitch in main menu where User Map overlapped with the locked User Map option. Once I unlocked the randomizer and User Map option after finishing the episode, the menu issue was gone.

Let's start:

Lobby
A nice opener. The level isn't very difficult and features mostly the basic enemies, with some tougher enemies near end. In initial version, there was no armor to be found near beginning (don't remember if there was an actual armor pickup placed somewhere), in 1.1 there is an armor pickup located below desk, close to that water bottle.
The things I liked about this map were the mailboxes having the mappers' names, the water bottle mechanic (you can drink from the bottle if you aim correctly, it takes a while to get it right) and the laundry with the washing machines.
There are two secrets that can be found: After unlocking room with red card, press on the computer and check the wall behind revealing a Shrinker. The second secret can be found in the laundry, one contains a box of pipebombs inside.

Executive
The start of the level can be a bit tricky, though you are given 6 pipebombs to make work of the pig cop nearby until you get the shotgun dropped (if you are lucky) or run to the nearby weapon pickups. They are all located close to another.
Also I find it funny (not sure if the message was entirely replaced or happens sometimes) when you pickup the chaingun, it says: "NOW I HAVE A MACHINEGUN! HO-HO-HO!"
Anyway, once you are done clearing the start, you will have to make your way until you reach the part with those "crushers", which you have to be careful. There is a single one earlier where you simply have to press a switch fast and then a group of 3 later on, the ones in left and right are actually two groups, the one in middle is a single one.
It is a bit tricky to safely get through them, luckily I didn't suffer any deaths but I had to wait a few minutes until it was safe. It's only difficult when you have to cross from one side to the other, as when you reached the opposite side and access those switches, that part is easy but going from one side to another and then back (after getting the card) is tricky.
There are three secrets to find: one hidden switch behind a box (opens a nearby interesting room), a poster that you can go through and at bathroom, press the wall and you can get the freezethrower.

Construction Destruction
One of the highlights of the episode, you have to make your way while things are exploding and monsters are ambushing you. The only difficult parts are getting 100% in this level since there are times some commanders just won't want to come through window, they will become unreachable once they descend. Oh and those Mini Battlelords can be tricky to take down since they are encountered in close quarters, though the one far away on the platform can be easily taken out with RPG.
Another thing to look out for are those troopers at the windows at beginning, it is problematic that you don't have access to pistol at all in this map, so you have to use your shotgun and chaingun, ammo that is precious at beginning when you should be focusing on the bigger threats. Plus you have to see if they fake dead, because that way you can miss a kill if they do that animation sometimes.
There is a single secret to be found after you make your way back and kill a mini battlelord, look for a small room that had a commander, pig cop and enforcer in it. Blow up a crack and access a hidden vent with atomic health.
Fun map, although the in your face explosions can be a bit annoying. And remember having to replay the map first time since I ended up with 40/42 kills (probably thanks to those commanders) on first playthrough.

Bits
Some really cool ideas, like that part with the server. I also found interesting that room with the two switches, press the right one to advance, as the left one causes a trip mine trap that will be tricky to avoid. The funny thing is that on the first playthrough (at least I did recently, don't remember how it went years ago) I first pressed left and then right. When the commander reached towards me, I jumped through the hole and the commander just hit the mines at same time, which was funny and that way it made that room safe and the commander died too. Though there is no point in revisiting that room and you aren't given explosives to get rid of those mines safely.
The server part was also interesting but I wish the commanders would stop going down/descending and having to wait for them to come back up (while on the ledge, so they can see me) or load an earlier save. It makes getting 100% kills very difficult.
There are three secrets to find. Freezethrower secret in one of the small rooms (to access it, press on), an atomic health secret accessed from those vending machines in middle of map (I would highly suggest to save the atomic health for end of level, it will come handy for next level) and an armor secret after destroying the server and killing those commanders, crawl into the vent and find the armor before dropping down (I don't think there is a way back if you miss it).

Abstratech (or Abstractech)
Note that the title of map was updated in Duke Hard 1.1, Abstratech is the old name in initial 1.0 release. As such, due to differences found between versions, I will write a bit more compared to the rest maps.
An unique map, although a little annoying at times to be honest. It is also hard to avoid getting dizzy with all the rotating stuff around, at least it caused me feel a bit dizzy for a few minutes, remember causing me a bit dizzyness back then in 2014 as well, though this time I didn't feel long term effect.
Perhaps the map that received most changes since its initial release. In the initial 1.0, there were two secrets to be found (Devastator and a hidden room that had atomic health and dev ammo). In the updated version, only the devastator secret can be found, the other secret was removed.
The map is also relatively difficult when compared to the rest Duke Hard maps. It is probably caused by lack of armor (at least until end?), unless a pig cop drops used armor (like happened on the Duke Hard 1.0 revisit) because I remember back then when I played Duke Hard and registered on the forum (again, one of the first things I played when I signed up on the forum, I don't mean the first Duke3D mod I ever played, just the first thing I got to comment after registering) and I remember the map was called Abstratech and was quite difficult and had a few low health moments, though thankfully I never died but it is quite tricky and also potentially able to get squished (can't confirm since I didn't get squished but due to rotating sectors, it is possible).
The reason why map can be difficult is that enemies can easily shoot you and they placed in such way you can lose health quickly. Even if there are a good number of large medkits that give 30 HP, you may find yourself with around 30 health (as was the case with playing Duke Hard 1.1, which also had that extra atomic health removed) and it doesn't help that when you begin, you get a commander spawned in your face that you must kill with your chaingun quickly. Thing is on my recent playthroughs, in 1.0 I got to kill him with my last bullet (still ate a rocket and survived with 101 HP), in 1.1 I ate a rocket and had to kill him with mighty boot (thankfully only one kick) and had 99 HP left. Having that extra 50 HP from previous level really helped.
As for the rest of map, it can be a bit confusing and headache inducing, I can't say I enjoyed it as much as the rest of maps in the pack but it is not a bad map and Duke Hard doesn't have any bad maps (they are all good), I can say it was definitely unique and quite challenging at times, if you take too much damage, you can potentially finish the map with less than 100 HP (as was the case back then in 2014), though thankfully the next map is short and easy.
My favorite part is probably the ambush with those monsters where the three rotating sectors earlier lower into the ground.

CEO Bathhouse
Probably the easiest map in the pack (and also the shortest), you should have no problem with this map at all. The encounters are fairly basic and easy. There is also an atomic health to be found in the pool with the ladies.
Two secrets to find: pipebombs (jump after the toilet door and make sure you enter inside the secret to register it) and a hidden Devastator (near the pipes area with the switch), press on a panel and it should help dealing with those monsters that spawn.
You should be able to beat this map without taking a single hit or just a single hit and have that extra health for the next level.

Storage Wars
Another short and easy, straightforward level, though at one point you have to jump at the window to reach the next part, it's still an easy map. Just like the previous map, it is possible to beat this without taking damage or just a single hit, saving the remaining extra health for the next level.
One secret to find: 3 pipebombs hidden in a crate, look for a gray crate that looks different, kick it and get the pipebombs, might be useful in dealing with a few enemies when short on ammo.

Eat the Rich
Probably one of the best maps in the episode, it feels like a highly polished level and you get to make use of Shrinker and shrink yourself through the vents to reach the next area, then you are able to unlock the door and backtrack.
I liked the parts where you are given expander ammo to fight some respawning enemies, the mini blue protector drones (I would recommend waking up only one each at a time instead of all of them) and the aquarium that holds blue card, which spawns some enforcers.
The only odd thing is that in the pool area, there was a red trooper that teleported away and didn't come back (maybe it fell in pool after becoming invisible?) and had to load an earlier save because I waited a minute and he didn't come back and didn't want to have a surprise with one missing enemy at end (despite the fact you can kill the shark and have an extra kill, as sharks don't count as extra enemies but still add to kill)
So I had to shrink the troopers fast enough.
A single secret to be found in bathroom, you just have to shrink yourself to access it and it allows you to get extra shrinker ammo and a much needed shotgun!

Commercial Break
Another very interesting level, though somewhat short and the challenge mostly comes with not getting the pistol until a bit later, not immediately. You may choose to kick troopers in face or use those single pipebombs (don't worry, there is no crack to break).
Later in map, there will be a Mini Battlelord that spawns when activating the switch. I suggest to run from the other side and make use of your weapons you have gathered at that point. The secret RPG may help, which is accessed by pressing on the ORDER button and jump on the nearby opened vent, it is a bit similar to Duke Burger from original game.
Overall, fun short map, though wish it was a bit longer.

Cinematic Lounge
Another interesting map, in this one you are given TWO pistols at start and a bunch of troopers to shoot up. To progress further, you have to jump on ledges and access the other sides of the buildings, then later you can unlock the next rooms without having to hop around the building.
There are a few fights that can be tricky, with the commanders and protector drones (in two separate rooms), so I suggest to take cover. There is a mini battlelord that spawns at end when grabbing the blue card. I used Shrinker and worked perfectly in both playthroughs, with first time the shrink ray hit him perfectly, the second time it took a while and managed to shrink him in time with my last shot before he shot too much at me.
To get the last secret (atomic health and dogs), press on the babes panel near beginning, there should be a button, look down/crouch and you should see it. I recommend grabbing both this one and the other atomic health from the cinema room, so you can start the next level with 200 health.

Flesh
Things start getting a bit spookier (though not as the next map, you will see what I mean) where you will see a few rooms that seem a bit bloody and it also helped by the fact Doom E1M8 music plays in background.
I would suggest when you reach second room, to let the pig cop shoot through window at those enforcers, so that he kills them for you, saving you health/ammo.
The last part of the level can be a bit tricky since there's many pig cops behind bars that are difficult to hit (may require 15-20 or so shotgun shells to kill them all) and then the next room (after finding the switch) with the Mini Battlelord and protector drones, you have to be careful. Once you clear the room, grab the card and then kill the remaining enemies that spawned.
There is a secret to find behind DUKE NUKEM MUST DIE poster. Contains portable medkit, armor and atomic health! They are pretty much needed, though I suggest saving the atomic health for the end.

Poormann's Library
This is it! The most unique level of the episode and also the scariest! I will say that it is very well designed and scripted, though I heard it is unfortunately broken in newer EDuke32 versions but at least the build I recommended earlier (r5498 with old Duke Hard versions, note that I haven't tried playing Duke Hard 1.2 and 1.2.1 yet) worked just fine.
When you begin the level, you will have to kill the enemies quickly and then watch out for that helicopter lobbing mortars at you, as it happened to me first time, I took a lot of damage and didn't realize what happened and what exactly hurt me, the second time I was lucky and cleared this part without dying or minor damage.
You will have to do various weird shit in order to advance to next areas, so I will not spoil.
The only problem is that you will always be missing an enemy or two at end of level, which is a shame. There is a secret to access it, it is further in the map and when you look down, you should see a secret devastator. It is easy to reach it but getting back is another story.
Unfortunately I died once when I tried going back up, as I fell down into pit (in the Duke Hard 1.0 playthrough I did nearly two weeks ago) because Duke hit his head and fell off. It is tricky to make the jump back and make take a few tries but you should minimize the danger by pressing the backwards button should you hit your head off, so you don't hopelessly fall. Fortunately, it was the only death in Duke Hard 1.0, I haven't died at all in Duke Hard 1.1 and years ago on first playthrough I don't think I died but I also didn't go for most secrets.
Another thing that kinda ruined the experience is as mentioned, the missing enemies. Not sure where and what enemies were but the first time I reached with 2 missing enemies and in Duke Hard 1.1 I got with 51/52 enemies at end. There was supposed to be an octabrain that teleports in the vent area after a while but I'm not sure what causes it to teleport (which worked in Duke Hard 1.0 but not in 1.1 and even then I had different amount of kills at end), which made me finish with 50/52 enemies in 1.0 and 51/52 in 1.1. I did however have an extra trooper appear right at end in 1.1 but not the extra octabrain, while in 1.0 that trooper wasn't present, however the extra octabrain showed up, as I have seen in one of the walkthrough videos on YouTube. And yes I made sure to also take care of those extra drones (getting eaten by slimers) and killing the babes that didn't spawn anything, so I'm sure I got all the kills in the map, one enemy somehow got outside.
Oh and finally, the weirdest thing is the noisy area near end which is just strange.
Overall, a very cool but slightly flawed map. Certainly the most unique level of the whole episode.

Showcase
Now back to the usual Duke3D action, in this one the shrinking returns and is required to access that room with two pig cops inside, though the Shrinker itself is hidden rather well (behind one of vending machines I think). I was lucky I didn't get stepped on in the room with two pig cops, they just waited me to first return to normal size and then start shooting.
After disabling the blue lasers and getting rid of those trip mines, you have to make your way in the building and fight the alien bastards. This level can be a bit challenging at times but the real difficulty comes from getting all kills, because there's THREE RPVs outside and once you destroy them, the pig cops fall down. You can kill them with pipebombs if you are lucky and the pipebombs manage to reach them down there. You can get 1-2 kills with a pipebomb but it should require at least 3 to get rid of all of pig cops. It is a shame that enemies don't take falling damage in Duke3D (the only times enemies take falling damage is if they are nearly dead, example frozen and let to thaw out, then they will die by just falling)
Once you clear the level (though the navigation can be a bit annoying/confusing), time to look for the THREE secrets. Two are just ledges you can access the atomic healths (best saved for the end, which should give you a head start in the next map) in the main area (with the RPVs outside) and a third one is the RPG you may have seen earlier, just go near the vent (after the area with the two pig cops mentioned earlier), push one of the crates and it will reveal a vent with a slimer inside (the last enemy of the map) and the path to the RPG.
Good level, although slightly confusing at times, not sure why but I felt I ran in circles at times when backtracking and trying to get the last secret. Also the Devastator isn't present in the map, despite getting ammo for it.

Legal Joint
Another highlight of the pack, this map is inspired by one of the classic levels of the whole Duke Nukem 3D, E4L2: Duke-Burger!
It is very well designed and I liked how large and challenging it was, with some very tricky puzzles, mostly to reach the last secret with the Dopefish Easter Egg.
You have to look out for the secrets and those hidden switches, I think it is far too much to explain in text, so I would advice to just watch an YouTube video how to get to those hidden switches and get that Dopefish secret, as well as in general progressing through the map since it can be a bit confusing at times. Especially the part you have to jump from building to building (don't worry, it's not the last map you have to do this, the next map has it too).
There are 5 secrets to find, two of which are found in vents (after you access that hidden switch, which is also a secret), an atomic health in a bathroom (best saved for the end) and the Dopefish secret.
When I found the Dopefish secret and asked me to make a wish (choose between two switches), I only chose the right switch (which spawns RPG and a Mini Battlelord), I didn't check yet to see what happens with the left switch, I just followed what happened in the playthrough I watched by SSGmaster (aka xdman, as he used to be called years ago).
Additionally, there is a D meal box (it is found in the kitchen) that when broken, spawns an atomic health, so it is best saved for the end and that way you get to next level with 200 health and YOU WILL NEED IT!

Power Out
Probably the most annoying level (though an interesting level nonetheless), this level is plagued by tons of turrets and invisible enemies. The invisible enemies aren't hard to see even without the NVG (I never used the NVG) but they are numerous and can get cheap shots at you. The turrets are still more annoying but thankfully you can kill them with your pistol and it is very accurate and useful at taking those turrets at long range.
Also another annoying thing is getting all kills because of the previous mentioned issues with flying enemies (commanders and sentry drones in this case) where sometimes they will descend and seem to refuse to come back up, unless you stay on the ledge where they can see you but even then it will take a while and might require a reload before they spawned, just to readjust their position. This is why I save often and keep backup saves handy.
The other important thing to note is the fact you can find the secret level in this map. To reach it, it is not very difficult but you will have to complete some puzzles. Two of the puzzle solutions are already shown in the map, the only solution I can spoil is the last switch which asks you how many switches (forgot the exact question), the correct answer is 7, so choose that switch and it should unlock the secret exit elevator.
There are again 5 secrets to find, it is difficult to detail them but one is the Devastator on ledge (very useful), a hidden room accessed by one of the windows when you are on the ledge of building, a portable medkit (use devastator to blow up the crack), a hidden NIN (Nine Inch Nails) reference and an atomic health in the vent (again best saved for the end, so you start next level with 200 HP).
I don't feel like writing walkthroughs and such, I will move on to the next level. This level was good but just slightly annoying and you will also need the armor pickups when you are given, since they will absorb damage, though the health and pistol ammo are in decent quantity. Just be careful of those turrets everywhere, usually hidden behind door corners.

Parking
Secret level time! You have somehow reached the parking lot. As Aleks has mentioned, every mapper had a signature vehicle, though I didn't notice that while playing, I just noticed now when reading Aleks' post and remembered reading about that before. It's pretty cool.
The other interesting parts is that voxelized (?) pig tank that if you blow up, it will create a hole in ground (probably a pit, I didn't try falling into it to see what happens) and also destroy a door.
The level can be challenging at times, especially at beginning (you will have to make use of the Expander for a while) but the other part you have to be careful is traversing that electrified water which eats the boots like the toxic acid in last two levels of Duke Nukem 3D Episode 4 (The Birth). Steroids will help and also make you immune to shrinking, should you get hit by one of those drones (I didn't get hit but by boots ran out a bit earlier than I expected, so I took around 30% damage). Then once you get there, kill the Mini Battlelord and other enemies and you should get to the exit. As reward you get an atomic health but I feel like this time I actually got worse than when I started out the level (150 health vs 200 health).
Oh and finally, there is a secret area that contains a much needed Portable Medkit which is found in one of the vents, just break one part that looks different (like you did with some vent secrets in earlier maps) and you should get it.

Rooftop
The finale! An epic finale! But before you start, make sure you get that single secret at beginning, grab the shotgun, armor and open the wall to get an atomic health! But wait, it is above that purple toxic acid, so you have to be quick to get at least 20-25 extra health, because it is unavoidable damage, however it is worth it, to have around 175-180 health and be fully ready for the final battle.
The final battle involves killing the aliens that spawn at times (usually from finding 3 switches that unlock the way to summoning the final boss), avoiding the spaceship that fires rockets at you and pressing the 3 switches that spawn the final boss: Cycloid Emperor!
The battle isn't too difficult with lots of jumping and moving, aliens' attacks earlier can be avoided that way for the most part. The cycloid can be killed by simply standing still on the area and dodging his rockets.
Once you have finished him, a cutscene will play and Duke will live happily!

I have unlocked the randomizer and user map option (in all playthroughs so far) but I don't see myself replaying the episode that way, since they are the same maps, just played in a different order. Would have been a bit more interesting if the maps were mirrored or if maybe there was a New Game+ option. I think already playing through every version is enough (which means 4 times).

Overall: Duke Hard is an excellent episode (inspired by Die Hard series), which has a lot of love and care put into it, almost feels like an official Duke3D expansion released in late 90s/early 2000s. It even features a new intro and ending cutscene and even a new story screen (I only noticed this one recently, probably when I finished Duke Hard 1.0). Just like LakiSoft/Gingis Khan said earlier, it really felt like an official expansion!
This would have been also great as an official addon if there was a proper Duke3D remaster (maybe based off EDuke32) that included community content as bonus and also helped by the fact the mappers are still around (at least I think everyone who contributed to the pack is still around, though the music would have been changed due to legal reasons) because right here, this was pure Duke3D action and what Duke3D mapping/modding succeeds at most: maps that feel like classic Duke3D for the most part, with some innovations and some maps being unique without deviating from standard Duke3D action. If only we had gotten that remaster like the Doom/Quake ports, maybe this would have been really an official addon.
Anyway, I highly recommend Duke Hard! Just let me do the remaining two playthroughs to see if Duke Hard 1.2 and 1.2.1 work fine with EDuke32 r5974 and r7299 respectively, before the month is over. Until 1st October, I should be writing a short message that confirms that those versions work fine, unless I don't finish in time or something broke and I must explain what went wrong. Though I read a while ago there might be another Duke Hard update one day. It will not take long to play through the whole thing two more times, just hope everything works as intended.

Enjoy the screenshots! Note that I play on gamma 2.0, not sure why when I take screenshots, they look dark as if I used gamma 1.0.

EDIT: Forgot to vote for next month. I vote for Taivo's maps. Shadow Warrior suggestion from previous month was removed per my request (probably for the better) as we shouldn't play other BUILD engine games just yet, at least not until next year. Aleks should explain more what was going on behind the scenes, since I've been talking with him regarding that and we are better sticking with just Duke3D stuff for a while.

1) Taivo's maps ++
2) Last Reaction and Water Bases
3) 10 lesser known/older maps picked by Aleks

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: dh01.png
  • Attached Image: dh02.png
  • Attached Image: dh03.png
  • Attached Image: dh04.png
  • Attached Image: dh05.png
  • Attached Image: dh06.png
  • Attached Image: dh07.png
  • Attached Image: dh08.png
  • Attached Image: dh09.png
  • Attached Image: dh10.png
  • Attached Image: dh11.png
  • Attached Image: dh12.png
  • Attached Image: dh13.png
  • Attached Image: dh14.png
  • Attached Image: dh15.png
  • Attached Image: dhsl.png
  • Attached Image: dh16.png

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 27 September 2021 - 07:22 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options