Duke4.net Forums: Duke Map/Mod of the Month Club - November 2023 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Map/Mod of the Month Club - November 2023  "Duke Nukem VS Redneck Rampage"

User is offline   FistMarine 

What's this thing?
We play through a set of maps/mods during the month, and use this thread to discuss it as we're still all fresh with our comments/opinions/feelings about the maps.

What's the purpose?
Basically, there are 4 purposes:
  • Showcasing some of the older mods/maps to wider public - they definitely deserve the attention!
  • Getting more people to actually enjoy and appreciate the user content - because let's be honest, over the past 27 years this was really what kept Duke alive after all.
  • ...and while we're at it - keeping Duke alive by still enjoying it, as there's no new games in the franchise on the horizon (and let's be honest, they wouldn't be as good as some of this stuff!).
  • Having a more structured discussion on maps than what's going in "Last map you played" thread - which is great, but it's basically a monologue most of the time.

Can I join?

Sure, as long as you find some spare time during the month to play the stuff that's on the table!

Why a month?
Because people have lives, jobs or other stuff to do (like mapping). For smaller maps, this could be shorter time - it's all up to debate in the future!

What port should I use? Are mods allowed? Where to get the maps?
It's entirely up to you how you play the game, so you can use whatever port or mod allowed - it would be cool to state in your posts what you're using too, as there might be some slight differences between the ports! As for the maps, they should be always linked within the first post.

How should I play the maps or post about them?
Again, it's up to you. You can finish them all in one go or play them one by one whenever you feel like. On Doom forums, there's a rule that you should keep the pace by not posting about a map that has a higher number than the day of the month, so e.g. on 6th you shouldn't post about map 7 etc. I think that might be a good practice if there's a large interest in this, but first let's see how active the thread is for a start - so if there's nothing going on, feel free to post about whatever map you want to.

Previous 2023 Editions

Previous 2022 Editions

Previous 2021 Editions

For this month, Duke It's Zero Hour and Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66 have been chosen!

First, we have Duke It's Zero Hour (unrelated to the actual Duke Nukem: Zero Hour game), which is an old Total Conversion for Duke Nukem 3D, created by ZeroHour Software. The TC was supposed to be released commercially by WizardWorks but the deal fell through and it was later released as freeware on 1st November 1997. Zero Hour contains an entire new episode titled And So It Begins (replacing L.A. Meltdown at the episode selection screen) with 11 new levels, as well as a couple modified/new monsters and weapons. Note that the mod can be pretty tough, so it is recommended to save your game often!

The mod is compatible with all the original DOS versions of Duke Nukem 3D (v1.3D, v1.4 and v1.5). If you are going to play the mod in DOSBox, then I recommend to play in v1.3D, as the addon doesn't make use of the Atomic assets. Additionally, the mod comes with a gameplay DEMO file included, played on the first level on Let's Rock difficulty. The player manages to progress a few minutes but eventually dies later in the level. The demo is made for version 1.3D of the game.

If you have problems installing Zero Hour, then be sure to read the readme file carefully and run the zerohour.bat file directly instead of running it in DOSBox, as for some reason the ART files will not be renamed in that case and it will lead to many unwanted side effects when starting the game or watching the intro demo! When the mod has been correctly installed, you will notice the new art has loaded, such as the green numbers showing up on the status bar. In the original 1.3D release, episode names can't be changed by CON files, so when you start a new game, you select L.A. Meltdown at the episode selection screen and you will begin the new adventure.

Second, while Duke takes a break for the rest of the month, we have Leonard and Bubba arriving for the official expansion to Redneck Rampage. Suckin' Grits on Route 66 was created by Sunstorm Interactive and published by Interplay, then released on 24th November 1997. Route 66 takes the main characters to various locales and tourist attractions.

The expansion contains 14 new levels split across two episodes (although two levels are just very short intro levels for both episodes), new art, one new enemy and new ending screens. Be warned that many of these levels are pretty challenging and with the exception of one level in the second episode, none of the other levels contain any health boosting items, which means you will spend the majority of the game with 100 health maximum. You have been warned!

Duke, It's Zero Hour! can be downloaded from the following links:
Gamers.org
DukeWorld

The Dukeworld link seems to also include the original self-extracting installer, though it doesn't work on 64-bit systems. The zip archives are identical on both links provided. Additionally, the TC is included in the EDuke32 Addon Compilation with further bug-fixes, so if you are playing in a source port, then it is strongly recommended to play the addon compilation version instead.

And as something that I found a while ago, Duke, It's Zero Hour is also included as an addon for Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition at the Zoom Platform:
https://www.zoom-pla...-atomic-edition
I don't have Duke3D on Zoom Platform but I imagine Zero Hour is packed in a single ZEROHOUR.GRP file that can also be loaded separately in a source port. Whoever has the game on Zoom Platform, please confirm if that's the case.

Route 66 can be bought separately (requires the original Redneck Rampage to be installed and played) or as part of the Family Reunion retail package or digitally bought from GOG for 10 euros/dollars (currently on sale for 20% off). The latter two choices will give you Redneck Rampage, Cuss Pack, Route 66 and Rides Again in a single package. You can also find the RR games separately on Steam but they cost 10 euros/dollars each (they aren't even on sale).

Route 66 can also downloaded from JonHunt's website, although I'm not linking to the download, as it is against the forum rules. This version is unofficially grp'ed (rt66.grp) and can be easily loaded up in a source port, compared to the original install that consisted of having a bunch of files in the same directory. However, the new ending cutscenes won't work, so you get the same ending as the original game if you choose to play this unofficial grp version.

For more information about Duke, It's Zero Hour, you can read its page on the Duke Nukem Wiki: https://dukenukem.fa...t%27s_Zero_Hour

Also we will play through Zero Hour in the first half of the month, then Route 66 in the second half of the month.

Have fun!

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 01 November 2023 - 06:00 AM

User is offline   Quacken 

Hello, I'm back. Don't think people missed me, honestly... by the way, you can also find Duke, It's Zero Hour in the Addon Pack. That's what I'm using to play through this mapset. As for Route 66, I still have my "special" copy of RRFAMILY that "someone" gave to me, so I'll be playing on Raze like I did for base Redneck Rampage.

The Granite Fortress
Bill Tatton

This is the most 90s I've seen a map be since The Gate's E1M1. The Granite Fortress is somewhat of an adventure map. You have to jump, swim and shoot through a variety of locations that blend with only minor seams. The first thing that will grab you with The Granite Fortress is its new enemy roster. This map doesn't feature any of Duke 3D's bestiary, swapping it out for four (five?) new monsters. Servants are fast dinosaur-like creatures who fire lots of projectiles and have a nasty melee attack. They can be pretty scary up close, especially because their melee attack doesn't really have a wind-up and they can attack fast with it. They can drop a variety of goodies on death, so between these guys and map author Bill Tatton allowing you to gorge on whatever ammo you like, you won't have trouble staying afloat in this map. Warriors are in this map, I think? The text file puts them after Servants and I did find a Servant that could survive one rocket (the other ones couldn't), so I guess they're in this map. Warriors are just Servants with more health. They won't have enough health to survive more than one rocket, so keep that in mind. Giant Spiders are like fast Pinky Demons but they can hang to the ceiling and drop down to ambush you, which is actually pretty cool. They're not too tough though, so just donk them with the Shotgun twice. Screamers are more obnoxious Pig Cop Jets. They shoot more projectiles and can suicide bomb you when they die. The worst part about them is their hitbox is worse than a Koi from Shadow Warrior. The last monster to be introduced in this map is the Heat Sensing Mine (or HSM, which is what it will be called from now on). This is basically a Sentry Drone but it can't fly, it's much more obvious that they can see you, and they don't take four years to kill. You mean to tell me ZeroHour Software made an actually good and nerve-wracking suicide bomber monster and 3D Realms couldn't do that with two attempts?

Bill Tatton has a surprisingly good grasp of what makes the new monsters tick. There's a lot of instances where Tatton will spring surprise monsters either in front of you, from the sides or behind. The HSM ambush gave me a genuine fright, and Servants and Screamers can easily corner you and make your life much more difficult. There's also quite a few "new" weapons, but all of them are re-skins of the stock weapons. I do like the Spike Cannon though. The sprite looks fantastic, and it makes a much more appealing sound. The stock Chaingun sounds too much like a laser weapon to me, and I've never really liked using it all that much compared to the Tommy Gun or even the Hunting Rifle. The Granite Fortress is a great starting map that's sufficient in sparking imagination and gearing you up for the inevitable challenges ahead.

8.5/10.

Hello.

The Rec Room
Bill Tatton

Bill's back, and he's got another slam dunk. The MIDI doesn't loop properly for me so I used a different one that did loop properly, and it really helped with my enjoyment of the map. The start can become quickly lethal depending on whether or not you're sure on where to go. Ammo is a bit limited here, so you'll have to rely on whatever Servants and Warriors drop for you and use your rockets wisely. And by using them wisely, I mean using them on the new monster. The Sentinel has loads of health, it can fly, and it has the fire rate of a Battlelord. And it talks! Tatton thankfully uses them sparingly, with the only time he uses more than one in a fight is with a pincer attack in the final fight. To even the odds, you get a new weapon - the XL Flame Cannon is the new Freezethrower, and it's not just a reskin - it actually kicks ass. Each projectile does a lot more damage, but to balance things out, anything you kill with this weapon creates a huge flame above their corpse that can harm you. I feel like this had to partly be an inspiration for World Tour's Incinerator - both were clearly based on the beta Flamethrower, but this and the Incinerator are both best suited for close range combat, and they create pits of fire which you can't stand in. Just a thought...

The visuals aren't quite as notable as in Granite Fortress, but I get a kick out of the sign textures in the gift shop. Also, at the start of each level you'll notice that spawning in a command centre seems like it will be a recurring theme. I always spend the time to read what's on the message board before taking the teleporter. They went through the trouble of putting the signs there, so I might as well read it. The Rec Room introduces a threatening monster and an awesome new weapon, and is of generally quite high quality.

8.5/10.

I guess it's time for me to get into the thick of it again ^^

I'll be playing Route 66 namely because I find it a more interesting experience to go through than Zero Hour, although more exhausting ...
The "reviewing" will be done with rememberance after playing the levels, because I don't want it to be too long. And also because I prefer Rides Again over Route 66.

Hit the Road :

Nice.

Carnival of Terror :

Original theme FTW. I like the Gator park, it's nicely done and credible, if we except the safety. Most secrets are cleverly placed IMO. I don't like killing the Gators, but has to be done I guess.
One missed opportunity would be the "Largest Gator Ever" thing where it's not an actual living one. I wish they actually made it a real enemy. Though I guess it's in the theme with the fake declarations.
However the Carnival part will be the big highligth to me. The surroundings are okay, and the FreakShow a nice little maze, but the Ride is the highlight. The ambiance is nice, the screaming, the scenes and using the Ep1 Boss sprites ...

Gameplay wise, it's okay. The beginning is quite violent, but once you've reached the Gator Park, it's a relatively smooth sailing IMO. Especially since you can exploit the height of the solid barriers which is just high enough to prevent the AI from retaliating in typical Build Engine quirk.
One complain I would have, and it's valid for all Redneck Rampage and its add-ons, is the over-abundance of Revolver Ammo. It feels like you can play the whole freaking game exclusively with it and never EVER run out O_o
And regarding health, I'd say too much food and not enough alcohol.

In the end, we're getting started with a decent level which is memorable for its original theme and its 3 main locations.

Hi!

Ancient Realms, Part One
Shane Campa

Ancient Realms, Part One (weird title not withstanding) is another good map. This one comes courtesy of Shane Campa, who really likes Spiders. This map seems made for them - Campa will throw arthropods at you from above, on the floor, and on the walls. It was here that I discovered Spiders are able to climb walls, which is another thing that's cool about them. I also like that this map is much more vertical than the previous two. You can make cool jumps to other areas of the map, and for that reason the yellow and red keys are largely optional and only useful for convenience sake. This is another map where the intended MIDI didn't properly loop again and so I had to use a different one. Not that I'm really complaining, though. Unfortunately, this is probably the weakest of these first three maps. Shane Campa isn't particularly good at texturing this canyon which makes the map easy to get lost in, there's a good bit of symmetry and copy-pasting, and he's not the best with monster diversity. There's no Sentinels until the final fight, where about 15 get dumped on you. The best shot you have to beat this final fight is to stay on the ground and wake up each of the three Sentinel closets one by one, using the cover wisely. It's not very fun and honestly pretty frustrating. Despite these setbacks, Part One of Ancient Realms offers a lot of creativity in your movement options, while still having a good amount of kicking power to it.

7/10.

Big Bertha's :

Yet another violent start, being cornered between either a bunch of Coots or Sniping SG Dudes. Highway Stations might be less original but they're a safe bet IMO.
I like how the level is filled to the brim with details everywhere possible, except perhaps the road nearby. And perhaps the Shooting Range is the least looker of the bunch. The idea is cool, but kinda out of place for a Highway Station IMO, maybe it's a typical US thing :/
However I don't have any particular highlight for this level. Maybe the final stretch. Pretty intense combat there, and interestingly laid out trucks.

For gameplay, this level feels more combat oriented than the previous. The enemies are more tightly packed and it's easy to get F-ed in half if you rush in everywhere. Especially inside. However, just like previously, WAY too much ammo, namely for the SG this time. Like before, I could play the whole level with the SG if I wanted to. As for health, just like the previous level, it's decent. I took quite a beating at the beginning but built it all up fairly fast. Then used the Toilet Secret to build up the both meters for protection.

In short, it's a short but intense level, but not the most memorable IMO because I don't find any particular highlight for it.

I'm a quarter way through Zero Hour!

Ancient Realms, Part Two
Bill Tatton

Oh dear... Ancient Realms Part Two is unfortunately a pretty big dud. This definitely seems like one of the first maps made for this set, because it's a bit baffling how Bill Tatton can make the first two maps and then return with this. Ancient Realms Part Two is a slapdash of bewildering buttons, strange switches and "eccentric" elevators, and I don't find much of it fun. Tatton still has some life in his combat though - the HSM ambush made me jump again, and the two Sentinels behind a door make for a fairly intense (albeit kind of frustrating) fight that will get you to either use all of your rockets or your flames. That's basically all Tatton's got though. Introducing a new monster here would have done wonders in making the map stand out more. Or a final fight that wasn't just Spiders. I take issue with this map's aesthetics. It's very scrambled, there's some copy-pasting used in specific areas, there's a lot of extremely long vent sequences and it's generally not very earning of being an "ancient realm", whatever that means. It's moreso a pretty generic military base. This map is also really easy to sequence break - the yellow bars in the main hub of the map can be crawled under, but only on one side. You can also do a really easy crouch jump to bypass the bars on your left, making it possible to finish the map with zero keys. I haven't talked about any of the MIDIs so far because two of them don't even work, but this one in particular is quite grating. For all of the wandering around you'll be doing, it'll get very annoying to have to listen to it on repeat. Ancient Realms 2 is a disappointing conclusion to a two-parter that didn't need to be labelled as such.

4/10.

Big Billy's Brewery :

A Brewery, now that's the more interesting theme so far. And a "smooth" start for once. Good for the Sniping Pistol/Revolver guy that I am ^^
The outside area is well laid out IMO. Though the first Key is hidden quite oddly IMO. I picked it purely by accident in this playthrough. The interior is most interesting with the Museum-like corridors. Because the rest is an industrial setting that reminds me of too many Duke3D maps to pick one. Sure it's nicely done, and there's a good secret hidden behind boxes, but overall it's not as impressive as the outside and museum may get you to imagine.
The second Key is better found. Also we see our first few Vixxens. I'd say they're used okay. Not in troublesome areas IMO.

For gameplay, like I said the first key isn't well indicated. Combat is better inside I think and the Vixxens were used decently. The Hulking Alien is well placed too, though the Turd Monsters were a nuissance. As for ammo, I'd say it's more reasonable compared to the previous 2 levels, if we exclude the Revolver of course ... However, I'd say there's too much Food again. And this time it's quite problematic to have a Brewery level where there's 3 times more food than alcohol O_o Maybe I missed secrets, I didn't pay attention.

I wish I could say more but, while the level is memorable because it's an original concept, it's not that memorable in gameplay. Again I don't find many highlight, only the Museum part namely, with the Drunk Bison and the initial Outside Area to some extent. I especially like sniping the Vixxen(s) at the other side from the top of the building.

Flea Market :

Creepy face in the car @__@ Now this level, it's interesting to play for the many displays of textures, sprites and objects you can make in Build, and it's got some decent combat situations in my opinion, in the Market itself and also in the Swap O Rama. Though the level is impeded by the lack of variety compared to the Carnival one. It's always the same colors just like in the previous levels, though it's better as it's a lot more furnished.

Combat is kinda impeded in the Market because, at this point you've got lots of 8th weapon ammo, so of course you want to use it, but Auto-Aim is kinda screwed by the stands that make the projectiles go into them and not the enemies :/ Also, just like in the previous level, there's WAY too much food and not enough alcohol. I counted 1 Whisky and 2 Beers, unless I missed stuff. I spent the majority of the level with the Gut Meter in the Red, and in this game, having just 1 meter in the Red is very bad news >_>

The one thing I don't like about this level is the location of the Brown Key. Map placement is good, but it's on the rails of the Shooting Gallery. Spotting the Key relies on player curiosity and is therefore VERY easy to miss, and you can spend a potentially LOT of time searching, especially as there are many places in the Market where you could have placed it.

In the end, I like this level better than the previous for it's more lively and furnished, but it's another one of these level you remember for the original theme and location, but not much because it's got no real highlight, though I'd say I liked the Swap O Rama part most.

Double feature!

The Laboratory
Pierre-Olivier Clement

The Laboratory is spooky, action packed, and overall has something great for everyone. I was complaining of there being no new monsters last map, but now Pierre-Olivier Clement introduces four new ones. The STEALTH Buzzsaw Drone (or Buzzsaws for short) are small Lost Soul type guys who aren't too threatening. They'll cut you up for a lot of damage, but they're not very fast and are put down easily. The three bangers are the trio of Borgs. The Stalker Borg can cloak itself temporarily and attacks with a blade. They're slow though and are still easy to find as they have loud footsteps. Assault Borgs fly around, drop bombs and shoot Octabrain lasers at you. Their lack of footsteps can potentially catch you off guard, but they're seldom used. The RPG Borgs are very common. Unlike the Assault Commander, they can't fly, but the trade-off is that their attack doesn't have a sound cue. I personally like these more for their death sound. All of the Borgs make a very loud clanging noise when they are killed, which sounds extra satisfying if you use your own RPG to blow them up. The RPG Borgs also have a high chance to drop rockets on death, AND get killed by one rocket, so you can often chain together explosions and rack up repeated kills. The simulated city area where the Borgs are introduced is a definite highlight of the map. You can basically main the RPG for this entire session because RPG Borgs are everywhere and they will constantly drop rockets. I also happen to like the custom ambience sounds that play as you enter the lab itself for the first time, as well as the emphasis on darkness and crowded spaces. The Laboratory is a stroke of brilliance from an author I wish I could have seen more of.

9/10.

Night Streets
Bill Tatton

Hey, this map's great too! Who knew that putting in enough explosives to level South Africa and making most of the monsters clank to pieces upon death would result in a good map? Bill Tatton's township map is fast, exciting and good at keeping the pace. The MIDI, courtesy of Joe Lema, is a great complement to the action. RPG Borgs are everywhere in this map, and they'll really test you. Tatton offers many ways to approach fights in this map, but there's always one or two Borgs that cover flank routes, and Assault Borgs are good at locking down the ground and forcing you to jump around to avoid taking melee damage. Beyond that, there's a ton of rockets - way more than you'd ever need for a map of this size, but it means you can solely rely on the RPG for the entire map, which just feels right to me. The map caps off with an exploding building, which is always nice. One thing I noticed though is I finished this map and the previous one with around 20 or so less kills - even though I was pretty confident I had explored everything. I'm not sure what this is. Either I'm not smart enough or the kill count is broken. I'll let someone else be the judge. Regardless, Night Streets is a simple yet textbook action map. One of the highlights of Zero Hour thus far.

9/10.

User is offline   Aleks 

Started playing Duke, It's Zero Hour, which is something I've never played before. Using Rednukem and the "Plutonium Pak" version.

The Granite Fortress
This starts quite surprisingly - the level has a notably good layout, which has many neat interconnections and stuff like multi-layered bases, which looks like something that much have been planned beforehand. On the other hand, the theme is super-generic and the design is competent, but not very original. The shadows are flat as hell for the most part, besides the parts where the pillars are just done in order to cast a strong, contrast shadow, which there are some. There are 6 secrets, but it feels like many other areas should be marked as such, for example the first portable medkit in the long vent or even the area behind the waterfall at the beginning with all the goodies. The new weapons look like something taken straight out of a GI Joe action figure and very much the same can be said about the enemies. We first meet screamers, which are pretty much a more annoying version of the sentry drones, as they shoot barrages of lasers that can drain your health quickly. On the other hand, they seem to just mindlessly fly around and bounce out of stuff, not necessary attacking the player per se, but are still quite difficult to hit. The giant spiders are pretty aggressive, but die quite fast and seem more like a nuisance. There's a new version of a turret which seems to have a larger hitbox. Then there are servants/warriors, which I'm not sure which are which - they have a weak laser attack and super powerful melee that drains your health even through some thinner walls if you let them, which can suck in tight situations. They have fullbright red colour skin though, so they're easy to spot in the darkness. There are also walking, beeping heat-seeking mines that are pretty fast, but also easy to kill - and they apparently don't count towards the total killcount, so that might be why Quacken missed so many kills in one of the subsequent maps. I like how elaborate the monsters are, particularly for a 1997 TC - warriors will dodge around or jump sometimes, in addition to charging at you, giant spiders climb walls and ceilings - even the corpses seem to be "3D"! The monster sounds are also pretty good. The combat is fairly good throughout, although in the end it seems there's way too much ammo. The temple at the final, ambush in a corridor/room full of warriors and coming back to the platform that was visible right from the start are the highlights of the level.

Rating: 82/100

The Rec Center
This level introduces another enemy - the sentinel, which is a giant robotic blob that will just keep shooting hitscan relentless from the moment he spots you until you destroy it. It also takes 3-4 RPG shoulder-mounted railgun hits to kill and despite being slow, dodges the rockets in both the horizontal and vertical directions. The level itself is still fairly competent, but much weaker than the first one - if that one was generic, this is even more so, and the shadows are pretty much non-existent. It's more blocky and less layout-oriented (besides the SOS-heavy maze with spiders, which was pretty cool!). Bill Tatton still manages to show his knowledge of Build effects quite well, with many fancy moving parts and a bar which is definitely the highlight, design-wise. On the other hand, there's some completely unnecessary puzzle where you have to shoot buttons on time, then shoot a proper combination, only to access a lousy room with a couple monsters and nothing of interest. The combat is more challenging than in the first level - due to the sentinels and generally less room to fight the screamers - but the level doesn't really sell its location, if it wasn't mentioned in the mission briefing screen that we are infiltrating an alien recreational center, I wouldn't have guessed it.

Rating: 77/100

Two to speed things up.

SlaughterHouse :

Continuing on the originality scale. This level kinda reminds me of the Brewery level, though I'd say it's a bit less furnished than the latter due to the absence of the Museum. Though it compensates for less flat level design, and also better combat overall. Food and Alcohol are much more ballanced, probably the most ballanced we've ever seen since the first level !

I find this level more memorable namely for the fighting. The enemies are well placed, and you're given enough of the big ammo to deal with it. It's a level where you basically main weapons 7, 8 and even 0 a bit ! Making it more enjoyable. I also mostly remember it for the Slaughter Room where a wall explodes to reveal 3 Hulking Aliens IIRC. This is basically the only room where I actually have a use for the MoonShine item. Indeed, with both meters in the green and this thing, you got the best protection possible, and that room is perfect for it. I "only" lost 50 or so HP while battling them with the 7th weapon all throughout. Greatly helped by one being stuck in the other room.
Too bad the final room with Bubba is totally empty :/

I don't have much to say about this level but I'd say it's the more enjoyable one of the recent bunch alongside the previous one. Visuals aren't the best, but combat is the better part IMO. Having ballanced Food/Alcohol and a lot of strong weapon ammo with many enemies to use it on just makes this level an enjoyable experience IMO. If I make a ranking, it will be placed fairly high alongside the first level !

Fun Park :

Well there's not much of a Park there .... It's mostly an Arcade building and a MiniGolf Course :/ While that level isn't much of a looker like the previous, it benefits from the same advantages. 150 ammo for the 0th weapon, many 7th weapon ammo, also many for the 4th weapon. And finally a good ballance between Food and Alcohol. Though maybe this level is a bit more stingy than the previous, though it's also shorter and with fewer Hulking Aliens. With the Vixxens there's a lot of room for disaster yet it played fine to me.

The only trouble with this level is Keys. The first one is okay next to the Huge TV, but easy to miss as usual. And the second being the Golf Course one sitting on a tiny numbered table which you've seen 2 of before and thus won't necessarily pay attention to. Also, the key is Brown ON BROWN surface >_< Good thing I know the level.

All in all, I'd say that level is less architectually appealing than the previous, and much flatter, but on the other hand it's more lively and furnished. And I'd say combat is just as solid, though slightly easier thanks to fewer Hulking Aliens.
Not much more to say. I don't think this level will rank higher than the previous one, but it will be close.

Double feature... 2!

Into the City
Bill Tatton

It's Bill Tatton's closing act. And for his final submission to Zero Hour, he presents a huge labyrinth of rooms and traps. Into the City isn't really a city map - it's moreso a sequence of varied locations stringed together. There's a good variety of combat here. Traps and ambushes are everywhere, and Tatton uses just about every monster ha has available to him. I forgot to mention it, but back in MAP05 you got a new weapon, the final one. The Mega-Tazer is a Shrinker replacement, and rather than be a reskin it's also an original weapon. It fires a big ball of electricity that deletes anything that's not a Sentinel, and it scatters a bunch of electricity projectiles around. Those scattered projectiles don't seem like they do anything to monsters, but they sure damage you! It's a sidegrade to the Rail Gun. Ammo is much rarer for the Tazer, but as long as you can jump away quick enough you don't take any self damage.

The tussle with RPG Borgs near the first Medkit can quickly turn fatal, and most of the HSMs are deceptively tricky to destroy without putting yourself in imminent danger. This isn't a particularly hard map as like the last one you can snowball with rockets very easily, but it is good at keeping you on your toes. Into the City is a solid enough map that could have used more of a visual flourish.

8/10.

Oasis City Part 1
Shane Campa

Shane Campa takes the helm for the remainder of Zero Hour, starting with Oasis City Part 1. This map is among the meanest and most brutal I've played in quite some time. After running from a building that starts exploding from behind you, you can either jump back where you came from and meet a face full of Sentinels, or go down the elevator and enter a warzone. Everything's out to kill you here. There's Warriors, several Screamers, flying Assault Borgs and an RPG Borg on top of a cliff that can go to hell. Make sure you run for the cliffs so you can get a Mega-Tazer, which will help you better negotiate the crowds. Later on, you have another hell section which is stuffed to the gills with Servants and RPG Borgs, and is even more crowded. And the Buzzsaws got me loads of times in this map. They blend into the darkness very well, and Campa often places them at awkward angles where you have to approach them yourself. And while you're fighting for survival in this map, you have one of the best MIDIs in Zero Hour. It's a pounding, menacing track that always makes you stay alert.

Once you've got the Rail Gun, it becomes easier. Most of the monster closets fall to rocket spam, and the only two Sentinels are near the start and would have already been cleared by the Tazer. Oasis City 1 is a harrowing yet short journey that features some of the most high octane combat in the mapset.

9/10.

Into the City. Can't help but think of "The Gate" ^^

Gassing Up :

Nicer, and funnier.

House of Ill Repute :

I believe this level is kinda infamous in the communities, or maybe I'm mistaken ? Anyway, having Wiggle Stick playing at the beginning of this level is the perfect match ! Very hectic. And I kinda dig it, namely because the game is kinda enough to give you weapons 4, 6, 8 and 0 right off the bat, which is extremely handy for dealing with the initial batches of Vixxens and Hulking Alien. Then we get to play A LOT (50 shots) with the 7th weapon, which I personally like but we all know that this weapon is F-ed by faulty hit detection, even in GDX. Really, there was a Vixxen being stationary, and EVEN THEN it managed to phase right through her >_< !

That weapon is definitely best used in CQC, like in the Houses themselves. Worked perfectly against the Sherif. Also I found out in the Basement that you can 1-Shot a Sherif with the 6th weapon if you get him with splash damage BEFORE he wakes up. I was targetting the Dog right beside him.

Yet another level with a decent ballance of Food and Alcohol. Once I had secured the outside area, before going in the Basement, I used the 6th weapon in order to fill both Meters slightly passed Green and then took one of the THREE Goo Goo Clusters of the levels. These 3, alongside the Meters lasted me the whole level AND I finished with more than 100. This is VERY enjoyable.

Personally this level gives me a better impression, I believe it must be thanks to what I've just described but also because this level is extremely condensed and very indoors, and it is a known fact that Redneck Rampage is especially good at picturing indoor areas, especially the 2 houses of this level. This would have been a pretty generic House/Barn level if it weren't for the good fights. My only complaints being very badly placed Turd Monsters (only 2 thankfully) and the semi-invisible keys due to how they blend into the environnement. I always picked them on accident.

User is offline   Aleks 

I was hoping to do two at once, but somehow can't find time to play during the last few days and the 3rd level wasn't particularly memorable, so...

Ancient Realms... Part 1
Shane Campa's contribution marks a steep drop in level quality - this feels like very chaotic attempt at level design that's confusing and all over the place. The design/detailing isn't bad per se, probably on a similar level as the first two maps, with some quite nice constructions, but the layout and gameplay are a mess. There are pretty tall rocky canyons, which unfortunately are also very tight, so navigating them and fighting the types of enemies used - screamers that will just fly all over the place and get stuck on things, giant spiders that keep on trying to climb or randomly fall next to you on a tight ledge or warriors that just roll and fall down - don't work so well. There are plenty of copy-pasted areas that look the same, so it's kinda difficult to tell where you are, especially with the labrenthine layout of the map - there's more interconnections than is good for the sake of the map, as everything looks the same, so they just make navigation confusing. The yellow card seems to be obsolete as you apparently just open the yellow key door from the other side with a switch. There are some tedious areas like caves filled with 20+ giant spiders that will just pointlessly drain your ammo. Then there's the finish, which just sends 3 closets full of sentinels and screamers your way, which is bound to just make you use all of the SM railgun rockets. The problem with sentinels is that their hitboxes are quite anti-intuitionally small and probably also change between the animation frames, which combined with their descending and ascending flight patterns make a lot of rockets just fly through them. There are no marked secrets in this map, but again it seems a few areas would suit it. As Quacken mentioned, the soundtrack has problems with looping - there's an awkwardly long bit of silence at the end, so you'll spend about half of the map just listening to the clicking sounds of giant spiders' futile tries of climbing the rocks.

Rating: 59/100

Two to speed things up.

Mystery Dino Cave :

Now this is a level I'm very mixed about. On the one hand, I like the whole Animal Cemetery thing and the Associated building. It's kinda sad to think about it but still, yet another original idea for a level. And again the interiors are quite good. The one thing I don't like about this level is the Dino Cave itself.
While I like the idea, the execution I don't. It's too mazy. It's basically the one and only in which I actually need to play with TabMap on, otherwise I'm loosing time just circling around. I remember on my first playthrough, I took me time to figure out the Lever opens a door underneath the Dinosaur. At least the combat is fun in the Caves just because I get to spam the hell out of the 4th weapon.

Outside the combat is well complemented by the Vixxens and Aliens on which we can spam the 7th and 8th weapons. Even getting ammo for the 0th in the Cave. As for Health, the ballance is good again, though perhaps a tiny bit stingy I'd say.

Well I can't say much about this level. The whole Animal setting is the highlight of the level, the Dino Cave is the worst part, and combat is globally good if we except the few badly placed Turd Monsters in the underground area of the Animal Building. And it's strange how this takes up most of the level while it's not named after it :/

Campy Crystal Lake :

Another level I'm mixed about. The layout can be kinda confusing if you don't use TabMap and while the level is needingly generous on health items, there's too much Food in comparisson to Alcohol. Sure 2 Whiskeys is a lot by itself, but when you get so much food, you almost inevitable end up having one Meter in the Red and this alone is enough to make you have a bad time with enemy damage ...

A lot of combat I'm okay with. Many opportunities to use the powerful guns, especially 4th, 6th and 8th. The locations are good, I like the game's attempt at being horrific with the gore in the houses and basement, but it doesn't really fit the game's more comedic tone. And that strange Cave area with the Pillars kinda intrudes as well, though it's place for a good fight IMO. However somebody's gonna have to tell me how to get to the Secret without using a MoonShine.
Also, the Pillars are a bit too tiny, which makes Leonard's weak jump kinda tricky to land accurately :/ AND the Brown Key being placed up there, in a way you can't actually see it unless you have the curiosity to try and go up there is another issue ...

I'm not a fan of the level for its flow and layout, but at least the combat is good though severely dampered by the overabundance of Food compared to Alcohol. At least the locations are good and well detailed as usual. I believe this would make an interesting DeathMatch Map.

User is offline   Aleks 

Double feature here as well, although I'm afraid these maps are also quite mediocre...

Ancient Realms... Part 2
This map is slightly better than the first part. I like the structure, which is kinda reminiscent of how Spaceport is structured, with a central vertical HUB connecting a lot of floors through silent teleporters. If we don't count the repetitive, almost symmetrical areas, the progression can be considered quite good too. There are even some more elaborate shadows, even if they mostly concern crates and boxes. However, the texture picks inside this map - or particularly one texture pick, the large rusty metal panel that is almost everywhere - makes this level just terribly ugly. The combat is a bit better than in the previous map as well, due to the areas being a bit less frustrating to navigate. There are some clever connection ideas, like how the elevator for yellow key opens up. Nevertheless, it's not the most memorable map out there.

Rating: 67/100

The Laboratory
This one is as generic as it gets - there's blocky layout and random texture picks all over the place, although once again shadows show a sign of promise regarding the level design. The highlight of the level is certainly the "simulated reality" part where we are introduced to the Borg enemies, even if they aren't the most interesting ones out there. However, personally I'm not really a fan of these "simulated reality"/"training" areas in FPS games, at least most of the time... There are some quite intensive fights in this map and the use of enemies/pairing them is pretty good, especially RPG Borgs seem to work well with the screamers. Still, this is definitely not a map I am ever planning on replaying and also one that I will forget about quite fast.

Rating: 62/100

Back to a single feature tonight.

Oasis City Part 2
Shane Campa

Aaand this is where Shane Campa's other shoe falls off. Oasis City 2 tries to be a tense corridor heavy shoot-out, but is heavily flawed. Aside from whatever the Servants and Warriors give you, the only health you can find is with one Medkit and several Atomic Healths strewn about. In a better (and shorter map), health starvation would make for a tense challenge, but here it's just work. I realised just now that the fire that the Borgs produce on death hurts like pouring a dangerous chemical on your arm. Standing in it for like one frame can do 9 damage to you, so in order to get the pickups that spawn on top of the flames you have to either wait for the flames to dissipate or inch yourself towards the pickup so you can get it without taking damage. This map is just too tight and corridor heavy to make health starvation nothing more than a complete bother. This map also features some dickish enemy placement - Sentinels appear where you don't want them to be. Those two Atomic Healths you desperately need to survive look nice. Uh oh! Here's a Sentinel who will destroy you in seconds unless you anticipate it and shamble your way up the waterfall. There's plenty of Assault Borgs around 90 degree angles and RPG Borgs in pitch darkness, and the final fight with the Spiders will result in you loading a save if you fall down the cliff. The MIDI is also pretty disappointing. It sounds like the MIDI from Strife that's just a looping drum solo. Come to think of it, the MIDI from the last map is pretty repetitive too... Oasis City Part 2 is a disappointing sequel to a map I liked a lot. I hope the third part will be better.

3/10.

Hey everyone! Thank you for your comments so far. I started playing Zero Hour earlier this month and last Friday I reached Level 9. I never played this TC before and I find it funny how this was perfect timing for its anniversary on 1st November, which makes it much more fitting. I'm also halfway through Route 66, so I should be able to meet the deadline with the reviews for this month, hopefully.

The only disappointing thing is that I wasn't able to finish the review in time for the weekend but I will compensate by reviewing the whole episode this week, split into three days, which means about 3-4 maps reviewed each time.

Before reviewing the maps, here are some notes about the Zero Hour TC:
1) All of the enemies are replaced with completely new ones, who are much stronger and can kill Duke pretty quickly. To combat them, Duke is usually given enough supplies and some weapons have been modified/reskinned to fit the theme.
2) Collect everything before finishing a level, so you have enough supplies to deal with whatever awaits you next time. Of course unless you are pistol starting, in which case good luck doing that!
3) Explore to find goodies and secrets that will make your life easier. Just note that there are many optional areas you can access, some of them being well hidden and not counting as official secrets.
4) Kill count seems bugged, as you may have expected. I don't know which monsters count/add to kills normally or not but from my testing, destroying the spiders' corpse will add to kills, which can help if you've got missing enemies at the end of the level.
5) Save often and use multiple save slots. Have a backup save at the end of each level, just in case something goes wrong in the next level.
6) The levels have difficulty settings implemented for all four skill settings. If you are a masochist, feel free to play on Damn I'm Good for the maximum amount of enemies. I don't know if the new enemies respawn on Damn I'm Good skill. Even if they don't, caution is advised.
7) The new soundtrack is really nice.
8) The screen shakes when Duke gets hit at less than 25% health, as is the tradition with most older TCs, making it difficult to recover while getting shot at.
9) The TC is pretty difficult overall, at least some of the levels. If it's your first time playing the TC, I recommend lowering the skill level to deal with less enemies. For experienced players, Come Get Some will prove to be quite difficult at some spots but still doable in the end with some patience, as long as you save your game often, so you don't lose much progress upon dying or getting stuck.

There is a 100% playthrough done by DoomGuysBrutal92 on YouTube: https://www.youtube....R0ReAdlCyo6eUDl
He played in Duke3D v1.5 in DOSBox and to be honest, he is actually more of a purist than I am, judging from the playthroughs he has uploaded on his channel. He only cheated at end of the third level but other than that, he completes the levels 100%, so this playthrough may be very helpful in case you get stuck and/or want to get the secrets.

If you want to play Zero Hour in Duke3D v1.3D, then keep in mind the mod replaces the episode L.A. Meltdown at the episode selection screen (the original version of Duke3D has the episode names hardcoded into the executable). If you are playing in Atomic Edition or source ports, then you don't need to worry, as you only see "AND SO IT BEGINS" in the main menu, so you already know what episode to select.

Just so I don't repeat myself who made each level, here are all the map listings and the map authors taken from the readme file (re-arranged the text):

The Granite Fortress (Bill Tatton)
The Rec Center (Bill Tatton)
Ancient Realms...Part 1 (Shane Campa)
Ancient Realms...Part 2 (Bill Tatton)
The Laboratory (Pierre-Olivier Clement)
Night Streets (Bill Tatton)
Into the City (Bill Tatton)
Oasis City...Part 1 (Shane Campa)
Oasis City...Part 2 (Shane Campa)
Oasis City...Part 3 (Shane Campa)
Balls of Steel (Shane Campa)

I played Duke It's Zero Hour in Duke Nukem 3D v1.3D on CGS skill in DOSBox 0.74-3. I played with keyboard only controls and saved often, while getting all kills and secrets along the way.

AND SO IT BEGINS

The Granite Fortress

The very first level of the TC is pretty difficult and quite long. It will easily take you about an hour to finish on the first playthrough, especially if you take your time to fully explore. Maybe 30-40 minutes or so if you don't want to backtrack for everything before exiting. I also recommend saving often, since the new enemies are deadly and there are a few deadly traps too, such as the nasty explosion trap in the vent, which is guaranteed to get you the first time. Most levels begin at the EDF base with the mission briefing screen. Afterwards, you take the teleporter to the new area.

The first thing you want here is to go behind the waterfall to grab a few weapons and medkits. The Chaingun Cannon has been reskinned into the Spike Cannon with nice new graphics and sounds. The Pipebombs are changed into Handbombs, again with nice new graphics and a small change with 8 bombs contained per pickup. This will greatly help you prepare for what is coming ahead. Unfortunately, you don't get the Armor until later in the level, so you have to suffer early on from the enemies' attacks. Luckily, Bill is very generous with the resources in this level, as the health packs are provided in good amounts and even the Armor pickups will be plentiful at the later times, especially with some enemies dropping some extra stuff.

The first new enemy you encounter is the Screamer, which is sort of a mini plane that's really hard to hit, has a small hitbox and fires a couple lasers at you. Without armor, you are guaranteed to lose about half of your health in just one shot if you get unlucky. Thankfully, they go down quickly with the shotgun/spikegun, provided you can hit them, though the autoaim helps a lot (pistol doesn't seem to be effective against them).

And then afterwards, prepare to meet the GIANT SPIDERS! They are very fast, attack quickly for 20 damage per hit and can climb the walls. If you have arachnophobia, then you may want to turn the game off right now, because this TC is infested with them. The new enemies encountered later in this level are the Servants and Warriors, which are some kind of red dinosaur-like creatures that shoot lasers at you and have a nasty melee attack, though they can also usually drop plenty of goodies, ranging from health packs to ammo pickups and even used armor (and in one later levels in the middle of the episode, I saw one dropping a Portable Medkit). The only difference between them is the health they have and the damage they do with their melee attack.

Other new enemies encountered in this level include the Heat Sensing Mine and a reskinned turret, which is bigger and easier to hit. Later in the level, you will also find the reskinned RPG which is called Railgun. And I suppose you can also collect some ammo for the new Flamethrower but the weapon itself is not available in Single Player until the next level, while the seventh weapon is not available until the fifth level. And don't forget the Devastator in a corner before the entrance to the last area, as you may miss it.

Speaking of which, you may notice that it is possible to backtrack throughout the entire level, as long as you don't get locked in the last area. Normally after you pass through the door, it will slowly close behind you. It is not possible to open the door from the inside but if you retreat outside right when you get ambushed by the spiders and the door is closing, then you can open the door from the outside and it will stay open! So that means you can backtrack throughout the whole map and restock on everything before stepping on the exit portal. I found this trick after I had finished the map first time but since I had a bunch of backup saves, I only had to replay the last two areas.

Secrets:
1) In the control room, blow up the crack and then jump to reach the vent. Inside the vent, you can find 3x Large Medkit, Armor, 2x Spike Ammo and 2x Atomic Health.
2) After resurfacing from water, look for a misaligned wall. Inside you can find Shotgun ammo, Scuba Gear and Portable Medkit.
3) Inside the second secret, press on the nearby wall to find a teleporter. You will get teleported in a room with three enemies, as well as Large Medkit, Shotgun ammo and Spike ammo.
4) Shortly afterwards, there is a dark room. Use the NVGs and press on the hidden message to open the nearby wall. Inside, you can find Shotgun ammo, Railgun + ammo and 2x Atomic Health.
5) Shortly afterwards, go downstairs and check the two rooms filled with goodies and some fire in them. Jump on the ledge to reach the vent. Inside the vent, you can find 2x Tripmine (weapon), Spikegun, 2x Railgun, 3x Atomic Health, a box of Bombs.
6) Before crossing the bridge leading to the last few areas, check the left corner. Press on the wall to access a Portable Medkit.

There are also a bunch of unofficial secrets, as Aleks has noticed. Unfortunately, I can't make a full list of unofficial secrets, as there's lots of them and even describing the official secrets was a bit hard due to the locations. I'd see keep your eyes open for anything that looks suspicious. The waterfall at the beginning containing some much needed goodies and a Portable Medkit in the vent are two examples of unofficial secrets.

As for the kills, initially I may have missed a few kills but upon getting to those optional underwater areas packed with goodies, I found a couple more enemies and was able to get all the kills. I found the trick with gibbing spiders corpse to gain extra kills in the next two levels (I don't know if the spiders count/add to kills initially) and I never had issues with any missing enemies in any level. I guess the Addon Compilation version and/or Rednukem may be a bit different in this regard compared to the original version of the mod played in DOS Duke3D v1.3D?

Overall, this was a pretty interesting starting level. I wasn't a huge fan of having a long and difficult level early on but it does leave a good impression and makes you want to keep playing.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L1_3.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L1_6.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L1_7.png

The Rec Center

The second level is easier to navigate but it still has some mean tricks, such as the introduction of the Sentinels! They are basically a floating Mini Battlelord that will shred Duke to bits with their hitscan, especially the closer they are. They seem to take between 2-4 rockets to die, possibly even more if you are unlucky and the shots go through or the sentinel keeps surviving. Not sure why and if it's me but I noticed with some monsters that they can sometimes take more hits to die but that may be due to the paletted monsters having double health, which happens only in Duke3D v1.3D. And since the old monsters are replaced, it was impossible to distinguish the new paletted monsters from the non-paletted ones.

As for the level, you will find your new weapon: X-32 Flame Accelerator. Replacing the Freezethrower, it is basically a Flamethrower and it's a quite powerful one, though each weapon/ammo pickup only gives 18 rounds, so you may want to be careful with the ammo usage. I recommend using it against the stronger enemies, it cuts through them quickly. Oh and something that has been pointed out earlier, the flames that get dropped by some monsters don't hurt more because of their big size, they hurt more because the modders made the fire to hurt for 5 dmg instead of only 1 dmg and also extended their radius, so be careful to not step into the fire, as it's easy to lose the health now.

There are also some interesting locations to visit, ranging from a Toy Store to a club and eventually to a factory with a tiny functional crane! I always liked seeing the cranes in Duke3D, though in this case the crane's size seems smaller than intended. This has no side effects during the game, it's just a fun thing to point out when you compare the crane's size to the size from the ones seen in the original game.

The final battle with a few screamers and sentinels in front of the nuke button is also pretty interesting. I recommend taking each side carefully or else you get ripped to shreds by the Sentinels waiting behind the Screamers.

Secrets:
1) At the very beginning, when you arrive in the room with the spaceship, go to the left side and open the compartment to collect Flamethrower ammo.
2) Go upstairs and before getting to the club, press on the cash register to open the nearby door in your right. Enter the room but watch out for two enemies waiting for you and the explosions occurring. Inside the blown up wall, look for a hidden Atomic Health.
3) At the very end of the level, drop down the left corner to collect a Jetpack.
4) At the very end of the level, drop down the right corner to collect an Atomic Health.

Overall, this was another interesting level. Looking forward to the next one!
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L2_6.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L2_7.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L2_9.png

Ancient Realms...Part 1

Jesus Christ! This is quite a difficulty spike here and feels like a level that was meant to be placed later in the episode, which is ironic seeing as Shane Campa made the last couple of levels as well. Even if you started this level with full everything, it will still be a painful experience. I was really surprised at Quacken's high rating of this level but I will have to say that Aleks' review is pretty much spot on.

First, the level is populated by over 150 enemies, many of which will gladly ambush you and force you to lose large amounts of health/armor if you are not careful or the autoaim doesn't do its job properly. Second, the level is a confusing mess that had me using the Jetpack at times and not even sure if I broke the experience with the level because I found a blue card and a door requiring a yellow card, so I had to use the Jetpack to progress through the level. And I don't think there is a jetpack given at the very beginning but if you found the secret one from the previous level, you should be fine, as there's two extra jetpacks in the later portions of this map.

As mentioned, the level is pretty damn hard, despite the generous amounts of Portable Medkits, as there is only one armor pickup in the entire level but due to the huge number of servants/warriors you face, you can have an occasional used armor drop. Otherwise, if you are getting your ass kicked, you may want to retreat to one of the two water fountains present in the level and slowly refill your health before you have a fair chance at fighting. There is no shame in doing that after clearing a room filled with spiders and other shits while you are being left with low health and no more Medkit in inventory.

Furthermore, there is the elephant in the room, which is the final battle. As epic as it sounds, this fight is a frustrating mess. You have to fight about 20 (!!!) or more screamers & sentinels and you already know that even a single fucking Sentinel is enough to take Duke from full health to zero almost immediately. But how about facing about FIVE or more at the same time? Needless to say, I died shitloads of times, despite the generous resources given in the same room. It was frustrating as hell and I had to save/load a lot, even retreating to the previous rooms to find more health pickups because I just couldn't fucking do it with all the health given and all the health pickups were picked up carefully too. I must blame the lack of armor here. Eventually I managed to do it.

Interestingly, the guy who made the walkthrough I linked in the post, cheated with God Mode during the final battle but thankfully I didn't have to do that. But even though I succeeded in the end, I still think that final battle was way too hard for being the THIRD level of the entire episode. I wouldn't have complained if this was the final level or even the penultimate level, to build up for the final boss but unfortunately we are into Last Reaction's or The Gate's or The Ultimate Doom's Thy Flesh Consumed bullshit territory here of putting frustrating levels early on, making the difficulty feeling non-enjoyable and schizophrenic. At least in my opinion.

And as a final insult, there are NO official secrets! Though again like the previous levels, there are a couple unofficial ones, so you are encouraged to explore the places, maybe you can find something that can help you even the odds during the final battle.

Overall, despite the interesting level design, this was a miserable experience. I simply did not enjoy this level and at least the 30 or so deaths I have suffered here. It's just not fun to constantly die and I am glad I am completing the levels without any cheats because at least this proves the levels are possible to complete without any cheats. But you still need insane luck and lots of saving to get through some of the encounters here, especially at the end. Makes me wonder how the hell people could even beat this level back in the day.

I feel like Duke3d or mods like these desperately needed an invisibility/invulnerability powerup to deal with some of these nasty encounters. Or even a simple change like making Steroids give Duke about 25-50% damage reduction. Or slightly increasing Duke's maximum health to 125 like in LR&WB TC. Any of these changes would have helped a lot in situations like these. Hopefully the next level is going to be better.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L3_3.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L3_7.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L3_8.png

Ancient Realms...Part 2

Well, this level was much less painful than the previous one, seeing as Bill returned to the mapping. Don't get me wrong, the map still has its mean tricks but the design is mostly decent and the battles won't make you pull your hair out. For whatever reason, this map doesn't start you at the HQ base. Probably because it's the second part of the Ancient Realms, so it should continue where the first part ended.

As for the map, it's quite difficult but nowhere near as hard as the previous one. There are no new enemies encountered until the next level, so you still have to deal with the swarms of spiders and other "familiar" enemies. Luckily, the balance is a bit better thought out, as the generous health and armor supplies are back. I still died a bunch of times but the enemies weren't getting on my nerves as the previous level, so the experience was mostly enjoyable.

I noticed a small missing sound error: when I arrived in a control room with the switch that temporary opens a gate to a teleporter, I got the message on top of screen: SOUND PORTE2.VOC[#293] NOT FOUND. This might have been fixed in the addon compilation version. I don't have much else to say about the level, so I will just give the secret guide.

Secrets 1-5
1) At the beginning, there is a Portable Medkit and two teleporters. The secret is still reachable even after the wall will collapse.
2) Inside the cavern, blow up the crack to access a small room with spiders. Look for an Atomic Health and grab it quickly before the ceiling collapses.
3) After using the Blue Card to enter the warehouse, press on the green crate to open it and access Atomic Health and a box of Bombs.
4) Near the Red Card, push on a nearby wall to access a hidden elevator that sends you to an Atomic Health.
5) In the room with the Yellow Card and Jetpack, jump on the crates, all the way until you see a compartment that contains a Portable Medkit and 2x Railgun ammo.

Secrets 6-9 are located around the same place. In the central room, where you resurface from water the first time, fly with the Jetpack in the middle until you see a compartment with some goodies.
6) One side contains Jetpack and Spikegun.
7) One side contains Jetpack, Atomic Health and Armor.
8) One side contains Flamethrower.
9) One side contains Railgun.

Overall, this level was okay.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L4_1.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L4_5.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L4_7.png

Without spoiling too much for the next levels, I will say the TC becomes much better from now on. It truly feels like a classic Duke TC at times. I don't know how levels 9-11 are as I haven't played them yet but judging from Quacken's comment, it looks like level 9 might be miserable with its lack of health. I will look forward to that later today.

Have a nice day.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 13 November 2023 - 04:05 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

Completed two more and they were pretty good for a change.

Night Streets
This is one of the best levels in the TC, second only to the opener IMO. It's by no means anything overly ambitious, particularly creative or original - just a short 15 minute romp around a street block filled with lots of enemies, 90% of which are RPG Borgs... Which means, as Quacken pointed out, that you'll be basically using exclusively RPG to finish it. This makes the gameplay fast and dynamic - RPG Borgs do have quite a long wind-up before they fire a shot at you, but they can come in great numbers. I like their walking sounds which are very distinctive and make for a kind of claustrophobic atmosphere where you sometimes don't even see your enemies, but just hear their footsteps. The progression is very basic and the two secret places are very easy to find just along the way. The design is your classic 1996/1997 city user map, with pretty repetitive texture use, but the shadows are once again a step up from the first levels. This level is all about the combat and having fun with the S-M Railgun, but does a great job at it.

Rating: 80/100

Into the City
Same as TheDragonLiner, this level's name brought the obvious memories of the iconic level from The Gate, but unfortunately is pale in comparison. We basically just explore a single building (which is somehow non-Euclidean - from the courtyard you only see 3 or 4 floors, but the elevators inside reach much higher...). Once again it's full of RPG Borgs and it's the best thing about this map, as fighting them is quite fun. There are a few ambushes, also including the stealth Borgs, which are quite weak though. One of the new enemies introduced a few levels ago is a machinegun-laser turret, which is a lot tougher than the regular turret and fires at much faster rate and here they can be a pest in the rooftop ambush where you get the red key. The progression will take us through the sewers and through what seems to be the office of ZerHour Software, as there are rooms and desks of each member from the team (with Mr. Clement seemingly being the only one who has a girlfriend, while Mr. Campa has a true porn lair with a jacuzzi). This segment of the level also contains what can be called a "super secret", although it's structured in such a way that looks like mandatory progression to be honest, but I liked the touch. There are some new textures/sprites used, like the motorbike at the beginning or the orange bricks texture used in a seemingly optional area with buzzsaw drones - but they don't match the style whatsoever and aesthetically look completely out of place, especially the bike with ugly converted palette. Still, the level is one of the better maps in the TC so far.

Rating: 78/100

BigFoot Convention :

Yet another level I'm not a fan of :/ I like the beginning with the Camping-Cars and I especially like the idea with the "Anomaly" one, but then it's nothing but forests with a few curiosity places like the Camp, the Toilets, the Stage and the Houses which aren't too furnished. At least the eponymous BigFoot is kinda creepy. I don't know, I'm just expecting it to open its eyes suddenly ...

When it comes to combat, it's not as interesting as in the previous levels since it's more open and thus you can snipe enemies from afar with the 8th weapon. And regarding Food/Alcohol Ballance, I think it was decent. The parts of the level I like the least are the Cave parts, because they're kinda baren, especially the Final one with the Switch Gates. An interesting gimmick but not really fun when your Revolver decides to shoot off-target despite it being well aligned >_>
I like the ending with Bubba being on the Pick-Up while there's an Aligator nearby. Would have been funnier if he were circled by them.

I believe this might be my least favorite level. The Forest I'm not a fan because it lacks in flavor, and the rest isn't too furnished apart from the Camping-Cars, and the Caves are baren. I believe this is the least remarkable level in the expansion :/

I'm nearly at Route 66, so here's a fact about it: The authors for each of the maps aren't credited anywhere besides the automaps. The text file for Route 66 doesn't list the authors, and they aren't shown anywhere in the in-game credits sequence in the menu, because that's the same as from the base game (which also, as is already known, doesn't list the specific authors for each map in the base game). Why is this the case? Blood's level design credits are in its README, and Duke 3D has a text file dedicated to each of the map authors. The only hints at who worked on each map are shown in signatures in some of the automaps - but not all maps have a signature, and one of the signatures I can see doesn't match up with any of the other Sunstorm signatures I know of. By the way, this review is for a Duke 3D map.

Oasis City Part 3
Shane Campa

Two gutterballs in a row for Shane Campa! Oasis City 3 isn't quite as aggravating as Oasis City 2, but it supplements that for being weird and extremely janky. This first section is a huge bother. A Warrior in a tight space with nowhere to move, an RPG Borg with no easy way to kill it, two Buzzsaws and a one way ticket to Softlock City. There's like six spots in this map that all softlock you if you fall in them. At the start of the map you can jump out of a window and end up in the area in Oasis 2 where the Spider fight was, then either collide with an invisible wall or fall down the cliffside into certain death. You might even find the lift from Oasis 1 that they forgot to re-texture. There's more of an emphasis on verticality here, but there's just as much an emphasis on suffocatingly tight corridors, huge lifts, mandatory fall damage, fake walls, a nightmarish crusher sequence that I can't believe I got through first try, hidden buttons that have no reason to be hidden, and a bunch of other things. The main gimmick besides visiting places you've already been too is you need to unlock the locks on a generator later in the map to blow it up, for... very important reasons, I guess. Most of the monsters here are exceptionally punishing. RPG Borgs are hidden in darkness and will most definitely take huge chunks of health off of you (although health itself is decently plentiful), Assault Borgs like to stick to obscenely high ceilings where your garbage vertical look can't ever touch them, and Warriors and Servants can outrun you with their leap, dodge point blank hitscan and get in cheap clotheshangers. This map is quite simply the opposite of fun.

2/10.

Hoover Dam :

Now this might be one of my favorite levels in the expansion. Not only because I like Dam levels, but also because I like the gimmick of increasing the outside level of the water in order to reach where Bubba and the Sherif are. I remember somebody talking about good Build Engine levels "building up to something", well this level kinda gives this vibe with this small gimmick. Also, for once we have an industrial environnement that's well furnished and detailed compared to what we've seen before.

Also navigation isn't too simplistic and not too confusing to me. Works mighty fine. The combat is quite hecktic due to the very high amount of Vixxens in this level, I believe we all remember the 2 ones in the Room with the Elevator next to them. Yes they did cause me some trouble. Also the double Hulking Alien fight for the Blue Key was a small memorable moment to me, and they give you enough Health Items to keep you going for it.
Speaking of which, it also nails a good ballance between Food and Alcohol, though slightly too biased towards Food but not by much.

I think we might have come from a potential worst to a potential best IMO. Definitely will be ranking high.

Final level!

Balls of Steel
Shane Campa

This is a pretty novel final map. You have several different fights that line the central hub, a lot of ammo and a lot of Atomic Healths. I like the way the map changes itself to point you in the direction of the next fight. Especially as you get pushed out of the Screamer closets once you start the lift with the final boss. Speaking of, the final boss. The Mech Boss is a big guy who can fire lasers and rockets at you. It also has a lot of health. It's a pretty simple final boss, but it gets the job done. At least it has unique sounds, sprites and a function where the pilot tries to kill you afterward. If there's an exit switch in this map, I didn't find it. You go back to the briefing room and you read the final message after killing the Mech Boss, and neither of the doors on the side open, so I'm going to say it's mission accomplished. Balls of Steel's gimmick and short runtime make it a satisfactory final map, and it feels like a decent send-off to Zero Hour.

6/10.

Closing Thoughts

So: Zero Hour is a decently divisive map set. For its time, getting rid of the entire Duke 3D bestiary and swapping in new monsters with their own behaviours was highly ambitious, as was adding new weapons, and the new MIDI for each map helped to further distinguish these maps from other less sophisticated ones from the same time period. I think Zero Hour has some genuinely great ideas for its monsters and weapons, with some even eclipsing the ones that 3D Realms themselves made. The actual maps themselves however are very hit and miss. There's some great ones for sure, but a good portion of the maps are moreso carried by the new assets than the layouts or progression. Bill Tatton was great at pretty much everything, but giving Shane Campa the back half of the mapset was not the right idea, and the more claustrophobic and dark maps resulted in me enjoying the back half much less than the front half. I don't think he was as experienced with integrating the new monsters into the map layouts. My final rating for Duke, It's Zero Hour is a 7/10. It's certainly worth at least one playthrough to see all of the new monsters and weapons.

Having done the final level recently, I can confirm that there is no exit and proper ending to the episode. Might be because if there was, the whole episode would loop from the beginning, since the final boss doesn't end the episode and the End Sector/Nuke Button would just advance to the next level. Either way it's pretty impressive they got the entire E1 replaced without any side effects, as usually the E1 replacements only replace the first six maps due to certain limitations of the engine (talking about the original DOS version). Maybe that's also why there weren't any secret levels.

Anyway, here's the review for the maps 5-7:

The Laboratory

After two "disappointing" maps, here comes a nice one. Pierre's single contribution to the episode is pretty damn good. After you get past the difficult beginning (those damn sentinels and spiders), you will end up having a really good time with the level. You are given shitloads of supplies to deal with the enemies, after you make it to the Armory. You will not actually need all of this stuff, since there aren't as many enemies as you'd expect but the offer is very much appreciated.

The level feels very classic and I really like the introduction of the new enemies, especially those Borgs/Terminators. Some of them are firing RPG at you, others are flying with a jetpack and lobbing mortars or octa blasts at you, while others are cloaked and are harder to see. Pretty cool stuff. Even though the RPG Borg appears quite frequently throughout the episode, they are often stationary and their damage is on par with the Commander rocket, plus upon being killed, they have a chance to drop RPG ammo and FULL ARMOR, which will greatly help with levels that are less generous with the armor pickups.

Oh yeah and there's some bladed saucers (aka Stealth Buzzsaw Drone) that are almost no threat to you, since they move slowly and they die in like two shotgun hits. They do quite a bit of damage but compared to the other enemies, their damage output is pretty low.

The last weapon is introduced in the level, which is the Mega-Tazer! Replaces the Shrinker and only holds a maximum of 30 ammo. I almost never used this weapon, since the ammo for it is rare but I think it's pretty powerful overall. The only thing I noticed when firing the weapon is that it uses the "unused" Plasma projectiles from LameDuke and some frames are missing when the projectile is traveling. Might have been fixed in the addon compilation version, though I'm not sure.

Secret: In the room containing Portable Medkit, Scuba Gear and Shotgun ammo, there is a wall you can press to access a secret room containing Armor, Atomic Health and Railgun.

Hint: Since the level contains only two Atomic Healths in total, it is recommended to grab them at the end if you play continuously and want to finish the level with 200% health. Despite that, the level is packed with Portable Medkits and Armor Pickups, so health and armor are never an issue.

Overall, I really liked this level. Looking forward to the next one.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L5_5.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L5_7.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L5_9.png

Night Streets

Bill returns and gives us another great level, giving the impression the TC is now getting better. This is another classic styled level. It has a couple tricky fights but I think my favorite is the Red Card fight with the Terminators and again the very last ambush with the Terminators surrounding the exit, even though this ambush can be accidentally skipped by flying with the Jetpack, as you need to step into those sectors filled with items to make the Borgs appear.

I got killed once by the first two sentinels encountered in a cramped room (technically it was a suicide with RPG/Railgun) and twice because of those servants/warriors in the room with the Jetpack. But other than that, the level was quite easy and enjoyable, even had some good use for the NVGs in the dark room and I like how those buildings were blown up upon using the Yellow Card, which revealed the exit.

Secrets:
1) In the first building you enter, there will be a wheel sitting in the middle of the room. Blowing up the barrels will reveal a hidden non-secret room with an Atomic Health. On the left side, there is a poster with the woman that when you press, you can find another Atomic Health inside the secret vent.
2) In the dark room, there is an Atomic Health on top of some crates that you can reach by jumping.

Overall, this level was really nice. Looking forward to the next one.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L6_2.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L6_3.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L6_7.png

Into The City

Interestingly, I didn't get The Gate reference compared to TheDragonLiner and Aleks. Maybe I didn't remember that TC's level names, as I only played/beat it once earlier this year, so I'm not as familiar with its levels. Maybe I should play through it once again one day.

Anyway, this was yet another good level (three good levels in a row). Gameplay wise it's pretty good, as there's lots of cool action, such as the Red Card fights on the rooftops.

The secrets are also quite creative, a bit difficult to find them (I had to look in Mapster to figure out a few secrets) but feels very rewarding when you finally get them.

Interestingly, this is the only level I have beaten so far without dying, though the previous two levels came quite close with only about three deaths each.

I agree with Aleks about the bike at beginning of the level, it looks cool but its art style just doesn't match the Duke3d art/textures and feels like it was pulled from those old DOOM TCs from the 90s.

Secrets:
1) In the reception room, blow up the fire extinguisher to access an Atomic Health.
2) After taking one of the elevators, you will arrive in a small room with an enemy and a crate. Open the crate to access a Large Medkit and 2x Shotgun ammo.
3) Inside the Library, where the Yellow Card is guarded, press on one of the sides to access a small area containing Armor, Atomic Health and Holoduke.
4) Inside the Library, press on one of the walls to access an elevator that leads to the next secret area.
5) After doing the above, you will arrive in a room with two crates containing Spikegun ammo and a Jetpack.

The following two secrets are quite tricky to get and you must find a few hidden buttons/switches around those rooms where you find the Blue Card. I don't know how to explain where those switches are but here is the location for the secrets themselves:
6) After you found THREE hidden switches, go to where a hidden turret was and the safe should open. Inside, you can collect an Atomic Health and press the switch that blows up the nearby rooms. Stay where you are to avoid taking any damage and wait until the explosions stop. This will also spawn a couple enemies.
7) After you did the above, there should be a broken wall in one of the nearby rooms. It contains Portable Medkit, Armor, 2x Atomic Health and a Flamethrower.

Overall, this was another great level.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L7_1.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L7_5.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L7_8.png

Have a nice day.

The reference is that, it's the name of the Second Level or Episode 4 if I recall correctly. The one that starts with "Wilderness Recieving Facility". And then "Into the City".

Museum of Oddities :

More originality, and I like Museum themed maps. Though there's not much to see there. It encaspulates well the theme of conspirationism and all but still. The Combat is more interesting than the museum itself, though it's got its little charm. Also a missed opportunity with the Theatre where they could have placed a custom movie instead of the Space Hunters thing. The outside area with the UFO isn't as good as in the Main Game namely because you ain't got any cover against powerful hitscanners and there isn't any UFO to fight either.

The interior of the UFO is okay, though too much corridors with nothing but stasis clones. The huge room is the last highlight of the expansion. As for Combat, it's another good point there, if we except the UFO Field and the first 2 Vixxens inside the UFO. Indeed the Teleporter makes using the 6th, 7th and 8th weapons half impossible, and dodging just sends you back outside. At least we got some good opportunities to use 0th weapon. As for the UFO Field, I used to just try and Revolver Snipe them but it rarely worked well :/ This time I tried sniping them with 6th weapon, but it was more of a waste. So I just rushed in with both meters in the Green and used 0th and 6th weapons. It worked okay.

Food/Alcohol ballance is okay but not enough IMO. Indeed in the Museum itself the ballance is good, but once you're out, it no longer is. Indeed the interior allowed me to put both meter in Green, but once I was outside, there almost wasn't enough Food anymore to keep Gut in the Green until the end, while there was too much Alcohol.
It's nice to give you a Whisky during the Final Fight, but not if there's no Food around to ballance it out. Not even MoonShine can help you if you got 1 meter in the Red <_<

In any case, it's a good ender IMO. Not the most interesting level, but definitely not the least.

I can't make any conclusion but I'll say that, I prefer Rides Again over Route66 because I prefer the RoadTrip vibe and it's done better overall. Thing with Route66, some levels aren't as detailed as I thought, and also not as much as in the Main Game IMO. However, it's an enjoyable experience regardless. I find the earlier levels of both episodes to be the best.
I namely like the Alligator park level (1st level), the Brewery despite its lack of details, the House of Ill Repute for its intense gameplay, and then the Final 2 Levels.

User is offline   Aleks 

Started the Oasis City "trilogy" a few days ago and after the first 2 chapters, I can't say I'm overly enjoying myself.

Oasis City... Part 1
The start of the level is quite OK until the first building we visit starts to blow up and we have to escape through a window. It is then that the map turns into an absolute confusing hot mess. Even after finishing the level and probably exploring everything possible, I'm not sure how the supposed progression works in this one, luckily I had a jetpack so probably avoided some headaches. I like the idea of this kind of being one large map divided into 3 (or maybe 4?) levels, where we can see parts of the other maps beforehand and there are some changes/destruction to the scenery between them. But leaving the "non-player areas" semi-open, available to the player and with some functioning switches makes the whole thing pointless and confusing, especially if you can see such nice cut ends like stairs leading straight up to a marble wall or elevators leading nowhere. Yeah, speaking of elevators, there are a bunch of them in this map and half the time you can't really tell what they are. The combat isn't difficult per se, but can't say the enemies are used to in a right way to make it fun most of the time, especially the flying Borgs in the large open areas are a major ofender because they just stay right above you and at the ceiling height. The texturing looks like a weird clash between Flood Zone and Fahrenheit rendered through a 1996 "my first user map" filter, the shadows are non-existent and the final area seems to be taller from the inside than the outside, which looks quite jarring considering you can see a parallaxed sky overlapping part of what is a wall from the inside.

Rating: 55/100

Oasis City... Part 2
This one at least has a less confusing progression - maybe besides the immediate start, as I couldn't figure out a way of platforming out of the rubble without using my jetpack. This one will have you going up and down even more elevators, which at least are more recognisable for being elevators. The combat and progression both worked better (although putting two sentinels in a tight corridor near the pool was an absolutely dickish move), the design around the first areas (the one with blue key lock with its water surroundings in particular) looked better, but then we have the bar with wooden crate texture and red tiles spat all over it that looks just ugly. At least the "inaccessible" areas seemed to be blocked and a bit better indicated this time. For some reason, I've missed almost 20 enemies at the end, which I assume were just put in the inaccessible parts of the level copied from the two other maps. Still, I'd say this one is slightly better than the first part, but still these two levels drag the whole TC down by a lot so far.

Rating: 57/100

The reference is that, it's the name of the Second Level or Episode 4 if I recall correctly. The one that starts with "Wilderness Recieving Facility". And then "Into the City".

Ah yes, I got the reference after checking out The Gate's page at the Duke Nukem wiki and seeing the level name shown there. I initially thought Into the City was one of the first levels of The Gate but then later I realized it's actually E4L2. :P

Anyway, it's time for the long awaited conclusion to Duke It's Zero Hour, just in time for the weekend. Grab the popcorn and enjoy. Maps reviewed: E1L8-E1L11.

Oasis City...Part 1

Oh boy. Shane Campa is back for the remainder of this episode. Luckily, this level is nowhere near as hard as his previous contribution and honestly, this ended up being a fun experience for the most part. Leaving aside a few bullshit traps, this level was quite enjoyable. It is very action packed and feels quite epic at times.

I won't be describing the map, so here are a few notes:
-One of the secrets early on (actually three secrets in one) is ONE TIME ONLY! Once you access the room and collect the goodies, you can't come back here again, at least not without a jetpack.
-There are more supplies available for the higher skills, for instance the last secret contains more atomic health items the higher the skill level is (see below for more information).
-There are NO armor pickups placed in the level but you can get Used Armor (50 or 75 points) dropped from servants/warriors or Full Armor (100 points) dropped from some borgs. Luckily, the health is plentiful and if things get too tense, there is one water fountain that can help refilling your health.
-You can backtrack throughout the whole level with the exception of the very last room when you step on the nuke button platform, you can't go back, as the walls are "sealing". So before you approach the nuke button, you might want to explore for goodies, especially what awaits the next level.

Secrets:
1) At the beginning, after entering the building, there is a dark room. Press on the wall behind the chair to access a small room containing 8x Pistol Ammo and Atomic Health.
2) Inside first secret, take the elevator to reach the third secret and get credited.
3) Take the elevator from second secret and reach the secret room containing a few enemies, as well as Spikegun with 4x ammo and Flamethrower with 4x ammo. Note that enemies will also spawn outside
4) When you enter the warehouse and there is a big elevator that leads to the last floor, there is a green crate where you can jump inside to collect 2x Atomic Health.
5) At the last floor with the exit, in the right side of the room, there is an elevator that goes up/down upon approaching it. Destroy the turret on the elevator and go down to reach the secret containing 3x Shotgun ammo and a whole bunch of Atomic Healths. Depending on your difficulty chosen, you will get:

Piece of Cake: 2x Atomic Health
Let's Rock: 4x Atomic Health
Come Get Some: 6x Atomic Health
Damn I'm Good: 9x Atomic Health

Advice: If playing continuously, make sure you finish the level with maximum health and armor. You want to compensate for the next level's scarce health supplies and the lack of armor.

Overall, this level was okay I guess.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L8_2.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L8_4.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L8_6.png

Oasis City...Part 2

Uh oh. A map that gives very limited amount of health packs, no armor and not a single fountain/hydrant/toilet to refill your health (the water fountain that existed in first part was removed if you actually go and explore those "unused" areas). Well, the armor situation was mostly solved from the enemies dropping it (especially in later half, a couple enemies dropped the armor) but the health was just enough to get back to 200 (with full armor and medkit) at the end of the level. So yeah, if you are playing continuously, you want to start the level with full health/armor and hope the enemies drop more health/armor for you if you want to stand a chance against the bastards populating this level. If the new monsters weren't coded to drop armor/health, then you would have an absolutely miserable time here.

I'm not going to repeat what has been said already, so here is the secret guide:

Secret: When you reach the area with the pool and various goodies sitting on it, such as a Devastator, there is a darkened wall. Inside, you can collect: Portable Medkit, Shotgun ammo and 3x Spikegun ammo.

Overall, this map was much weaker than I expected.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L9_3.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L9_5.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L9_7.png

Oasis City...Part 3

Quacken pretty much described this level perfectly, though the softlocks can be avoided by having a Jetpack available to escape them, while the invisible walls are quite annoying and the missing textures are even more glaring. The health/armor situation is a LOT better compared to Part 2, as plenty of Atomic Healths and a single Armor pickup already exist in the level.

Interestingly, I also got through those crushers fine the first time around. I still recommend saving often, just in case. And yes I realize the three parts share some sections with each other but they aren't meant to be accessible in some parts or else you get softlocked if you fall down. You can get around this by having a Jetpack available, as I already mentioned. And unlike the second part, this part DOES have a few Jetpacks available to be picked up, so feel free to explore those areas if you want, though at a later time.

Secret: In the large waterfall area, where you must use the Blue Card, there is a place you can fall down after using the switch and then collect Atomic Health, 2x Pistol ammo and Flamethrower.

Overall, this was an annoying and confusing map, just like the second part. The lack of armor pickups can be solved with enemies dropping them, while health should be just about enough. Other than that, I don't have anything else to say.
Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L10_3.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L10_6.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L10_8.png

Balls of Steel

The final level is pretty decent and features some good fights. I'm not going to spoil the entire experience but I will say fighting each wave of monsters is an interesting challenge. Not a fan of some parts becoming inaccessible after a while, as there was a Portable Medkit that I could have REALLY used when I was down to 49 health, no armor and no medkit remaining in the inventory. Sure, I could have used the Jetpack to fly to that room filled with goodies but you get my point, seeing as you will be taking lots of damage in this level. Which is why I advice the continuous players to have maximum health and armor, so they can tank the forced damage in some situations.

And of course, I just remembered there are no armor pickups in the level but at least the monsters can drop them (used or full) and they will be a great help when combined with 100 or more health.

The final boss is a MECH that shoots lasers at you. And when he dies, he does NOT end the episode but instead, he drops a Warrior that was piloting him. Kill the alien bastard, then use the Jetpack to fly out of place and return to the base to read the congratulatory message.

There is no actual exit and there are also no secrets at all! However, there are some unofficial secrets, such as a room you can access that contains a few more monsters and the Devastator with some extra ammo. You must stand in a certain spot when using the last switch that summons the mech. If you miss your chance, you can't get this secret again, unfortunately. Always have a backup save just in case you screw up. If you did correctly, you are able to kill a few monsters and get your reward. The secret can then be accessed again if you wish.

Oh and another unofficial secret contains a Jetpack. Outside of that, I can't recall any other unofficial secrets besides that room filled with ammo, a Portable Medkit and a bunch of Atomic Health, which you can access near the beginning, while later can be accessed by jumping on the platforms when becoming available (the platforms aren't available in every wave) or just using your Jetpack and refill your supplies when you are running short on health/ammo.

I even managed to find a corner (it can be reached later with the Jetpack) where Duke dies instantly due to being considered a deadly space sector. If you step into this sector, you die instantly. And what's funny is in original 1.3D release, there was NO way to access space sectors in game as not even God Mode cheat protected you from those deadly sectors and the Noclip cheat was similarly buggy, as Duke simply died upon entering inside the wall. Both of these issues were fixed in the Atomic Edition and source ports.

Overall, the final level was decent. Shame that there is no exit/proper conclusion and there are some bugs, as well as places that become unavailable later. I would have liked more if the map expands itself upon dealing with each wave, instead of closing older areas and opening new ones. Yes, I care a lot about backtracking to previous areas, especially when looking for much needed health. :D

Oh and for those who can't read the message shown on the screenshot, here is what it says:

You've done it!! You've saved "Balls of Steel" and the rest of the Planet!!

Lana is waiting for you in the luxury bunker in the Virgin Islands.

Until next time...

Attached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L11_2.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L11_6.pngAttached Image: ZEROHOUR_E1L11_7.png

In the end, Duke, It's Zero Hour! is an ambitious and interesting 1997 TC for Duke3D that really shows up its age at times. It is quite difficult overall thanks to the new enemies and even has a couple frustrating parts thanks to some dickish traps but it is far more ambitious than Nuclear Winter ever was, which is funny to me, as Zero Hour released just a month and half before Nuclear Winter.

Seriously now. Not only Zero Hour features a FULL EPISODE replacement that can take hours to complete and even works with all Duke versions but is also available for free. Whereas, Nuclear Winter is rushed to meet the deadline, only includes 7 levels (8 levels if you count the one extra DM map), works only with Duke Atomic v1.5 and costs money, though these days it's pretty much abandonware and both addons are given for "free" if you purchase Duke Nukem 3D at Zoom Platform.

While I enjoyed Zero Hour for the most part, my main complaints are the lack of polish in certain areas, as well as the difficulty in certain parts, with the third level's final battle being way too hard and the level itself should have been placed much later in the episode. Which is quite fitting, seeing as Shane also made all the last four levels, which were tough but nowhere near as unfair as how Ancient Realms...Part 1 was.

Which brings us to the next point. The maps by Shane are the weakest ones overall. Bill made some interesting maps early on but weren't as impressive as I was hoping. Then as we moved to the middle of the episode, he made some really good ones and I was also surprised by what Pierre brought to the table, a single good contribution, which meant the TC was getting better as it seemed for a short while. But then as we get towards the end, Shane gave us FIVE annoying levels, with at least half of them being miserable for different reasons.

And he wasn't even that generous with Armor pickups, seeing as most of his levels either included only one or no armor pickups at all. His health generosity was usually fine but I don't think he took into account how much damage the new enemies can do and how essential the armor is even when you have lots of health available. Even though the armor is weak and doesn't save you from fatal shots especially when you are low on health, it is far better to have some armor than nothing at all.

Shame on you, Shane! Shame on you for not doing your job correctly! On that note, the good levels weren't flawless in execution but you can tell Bill had more experience and made some really fun maps along the way. Even if there are some weird design choices and lack of polish in certain areas, we can't deny that this TC was very interesting in the end, especially managing to make a full episode 1 replacement, which is very rare, due to the hardcoded limits of original executable, which is also why most E1 replacements only replace the first six maps.

And the fact it works perfectly on the original Duke Nukem 3D v1.3D release without any bugs/glitches (at least I haven't noticed anything out of place) or any crashes/freezes, I have to congratulate ZeroHour Software for testing the mod in every Duke3D version and making sure everything works properly. If they wanted, they could have made it for Atomic Edition only and I wouldn't have minded at all. As I think it would have been interesting to mix it up with original Duke3D monsters in some spots but due to 1.3D having more hardcoded features, you can't add new enemies in that version, only replace the existing ones. Atomic supports creating new monsters and defining episode names but since ZeroHour wanted compatibility with all versions, some sacrifices had to be made.

Something I realized as of writing, those maps that were split into multiple parts (Ancient Realms and Oasis City), they may have been originally meant to be only ONE big map but due to limitations of the engine (Build/Duke3D 1.3D), they had to be split into separate maps/parts. I think Atomic could have handled them just fine, seeing as I remember playing some huge maps that took hours to complete (example some maps in Last Reaction and those Billy Boy maps) and they actually worked fine in Duke Atomic v1.5 in DOSBox. But again, due to ZeroHour Software wanting compatibility with the original Duke v1.3D release, these maps had to be split into multiple parts, as I said above.

Finally, I am glad to have played and finished Duke, It's Zero Hour! for the first time and at the same time I am also glad this TC wasn't released commercially, seeing as there are softlock bugs and other issues already mentioned in some levels, not to mention it was kinda late in November 1997 to release expansion packs for sprite-based games, most people were moving towards Quake 2 that was releasing around that time. ;)

I will start reviewing Route 66 for the next weeks. I will most likely stick to about 3-4 maps reviewed per each post.

Have a nice weekend!

User is offline   Aleks 

I'm done with Duke, It's Zero Hour as well. The last 2 levels were surprisingly good!

Oasis City... Part 3
Considering how bad parts 1 and 2 were, I wasn't hoping for much here, but the level was one of the better in the entire TC IMO. Make no mistake - the texturing is only slightly bit better than in the previous maps (I like the pal 7 corridor at one place though) and the shadows are as bland as they can be. However, it seems Shane did get much better at using the effectors, as some stuff in this level is really impressive for the time when it was created, especially the waterfall at the beginning filling the tank with water so you can progress. But the same can be said about some puzzles, sprite elevators or the crusher (I think it looks more dangerous than it really is since I had no problems with it either, was more of a fun little contraption fitting with the rest of the map). The combat isn't that annoying either, despite starting with warriors in tight corridors. The only place where I got softlocked was when going back up with the elevator containing the blue key that was closed and didn't have a switch back in the upper position, but that was on me. Might have been a couple more places requiring a jetpack though. I also really liked the "switch hunting" room sequence after emerging from the water that culminated in destroying a reactor core. Only the ending seems to take the player back along the area they have visited in the previous maps and does it discretely enough not to look weird. There were no sentinels (which is good!) and some of the fights felt pretty neat.

Rating: 79/100

Balls of Steel
First things first - the fact that they didn't just end the game after killing the boss sucked, as the final message should have just been a "cutscene" kind of thing. Although I do appreciate the idea of having the pilot jump out and fighting you - maybe they should have coded him into a different enemy and make this one a boss? Ah well... Anyway, this level is very good! This is just one simple and open, giant battle arena and the level won't take you too long, but the way it's reshaped after every switch press is quite impressive. The battles can be tight, but it seems Shane finally learned how to utilise the new enemies to make the fights actually fun and challenging instead of tedious and annoying - which works here most of the time, besides a few assault borgs wandering off all the way to the ceiling and the screamers which are still annoying in an open space (they seem to function best underwater where they are slower and don't end up dodging 80% of your shots because of arbitrary hitboxes). Once again, there are no sentinels (which I still considered bugged due to their hitboxes) and even the buzzsaw drones at the beginning are a nice opener. The boss itself is pretty tough - shoots rockets and lasers while summoning lots of heat-seeking landmines, good thing you have a jetpack which comes quite handy during the fight. I remember Dan using this enemy's graphics in Duke Nukem: Weapon of Mass Destruction many years ago, never knew it came from here (unless it's also re-used from somewhere in the TC, but I doubt that since most monsters seem to follow the same visual style). I did find a couple of places that would qualify as "unofficial secrets" I guess, including the room with some servants and borg while getting the boss down. The simplicity of the map and just using cameras as pretty much the sole decorations was quite fitting.

Rating: 80/100

Final thoughts: Never played this one before and pretty glad I finally did. I'd say it's the same shelf as Nuclear Winter, so not really commercial-grade addon stuff. The new enemies are mostly well-coded and with some cool twist, making them definitely the strongest aspect of the TC. The new weapons aren't that good - the mega-taser is barely useful due to its hurting "feedback", particularly painful in more narrow spaces and the flamethrower is quite fun, but spamming the whole area with fire is not always the best idea. The maps are a mixed bag - there are some genuinely cool concepts and ideas (as in every 1996-1997 user map really), but the overall quality also screams 1996-1997 user map, with rushed and unpolished textures and shadows appearing pretty much exclusively in Tatton's maps. I'm glad it started and ended with pretty much the best entries (with another stronger one right in the middle, Night Streets), so at least the pacing was good.

I'm back. And I'm going to do double features from now on. I'll only credit mapmakers if I'm positive it's them who made the map - so unfortunately I only actually know two authors. Also, the walkthroughs are back! Although this mapset is much better at telling you where to go than in base RR. I'm playing on Killbilly and on Raze like before.

Hit the Road

Map Progression
Spoiler

Hit the Road is... definitely an intro map. I like the sign above the building you start from. If you couldn't already tell, I really like signs. It's not really a map, and it takes seconds to finish, so... yeah?

6/10.

Carnival of Terror

Map Progression
Spoiler

Why yes, I was looking forward to playing Redneck Rampage again. Carnival of Terror may be trying to trick itself into being a Duke 3D map, but it still manages to be a great map with lots to see. The main path being a bright orange walkway with rails automatically makes this have way better progression than any of the stock RR maps, and the two major areas in the map have contrasting colours. The Gator Hut is orange, and the carnival is blue and grey. This is pretty basic, but it's refreshing to see considering the stock maps often failed spectacularly at this. My favourite thing about the map are the visuals. These new textures are extremely high quality. I have to think that Xatrix' art team partially helped with these, because they fit right in. The signs above the entrances have lots of detail and have lights painted on them like is the case with most of the Episode 1 textures, the clown hanging above the entrance to the carnival is a really eye-popping feature, and there's also a great use of props. The dinosaurs from Mystery Dino Cave make for convenient action figures, the Freak Show splices together different props and upscales others, and even Ass Face gets a job in the Ghost Train. The combat is pretty lacking though - two Sheriffs are nice, but the main two monsters are still... just Coots and Billies. This is one of the reasons that this mapset could have probably been withheld until Rides Again released. There is one new monster though, the Alligator. The Alligator isn't very threatening, doesn't contribute to the kill count and to be honest you kind of have to be asking for it to get hurt by it. It's very slow and you can easily avoid its melee attack even while you're hip deep in cow shit. These guys are just chilling, I make an active attempt to not kill them. There's also an oddity in the Gator Hut which make it a little weird. There's a grate you can stand on above the aforementioned thick brown paste, but because it slows you down while you're in the air, it slows you down while you're on the grate too. The sounds in the Ghost Train can be disorientating. The screams from E2L5 play whenever a door opens, which can make trying to force it open become grating. There's also a roaming sound for the Vixen that gets used, which might trick you into thinking there's actually a Vixen that teleported in like I did. Despite some slip-ups, Carnival of Terror is an exciting start to Route 66, and continues Sunstorm's level of quality.

8.5/10.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options