Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

One thing I dislike about "Bombshells" is that there is quite a few fake doors that look like they could be opened. It begs the question as to why they were put there in the first place.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 14 March 2019 - 04:16 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 14 March 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

It begs the question as to why they were put there in the first place.

because you dislike them?
seems legit to me

Sorry for sharing my opinion. :)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's pretty common in Duke 3D maps to have nonworking doors. Its a compromise. The environment should have a certain level of realism, but a limited amount of complexity. It's the same thing that motivates invisible walls in games.

Is it? I have been playing Duke Nukem 3D a lot lately and I do not remember any official map featuring non-working doors that look like they could be opened; the only ones I can think of at the moment are from user maps. Of course, it is not really a big deal, but on a couple of occasions, I found myself scrounging health pickups and as such I was looking for working toilets that I could break and drink from - yeah, that came out wrong :) - but all bathrooms turned out to be inaccessible. Personally, I do not think these fake doors are necessary at all, as the map is already pretty realistic.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 14 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

Key word there being "official" I guess. At this point in Duke history, the number of official maps is a tiny fraction of the overall map pool. I feel like I constantly encounter non-working doors in the maps that I play. There are usually clues for whether a door texture is on an actual door as opposed to a wall, if you know what to look for.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 March 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Key word there being "official" I guess. At this point in Duke history, the number of official maps is a tiny fraction of the overall map pool. I feel like I constantly encounter non-working doors in the maps that I play. There are usually clues for whether a door texture is on an actual door as opposed to a wall, if you know what to look for.
I don't like non working doors or doors as wall textures either, I understand realism ,but yeah...

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum. I prefer fake doors or some other "realistic" form of blockage (like a crashed truck or collapsed building) as opposed to the official approach of bizarre walls at the end of roads that connect to nothing. I see the value in each, but my preference is definitely to the former.

HA! People complain about some minor issue related to doors, nones remember those "poor and innocent" killer doors (even the doors have some feelings you know!? If you don't believe me, look at Fable doors).

User is offline   Marya 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 14 March 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

HA! People complain about some minor issue related to doors, nones remember those "poor and innocent" killer doors (even the doors have some feelings you know!? If you don't believe me, look at Fable doors).
are you talking about the doors that close and kill you becaused they smash you behind the wall or the doors that when opened kill you with the same effect?

User is offline   Forge 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 14 March 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Sorry for sharing my opinion. :)

you ended your opinion with an open ended question. Fake, or not, your rhetorical is my door.
If you got offended because I had a little fun with the way you decided to word things, then you're easily offended.

Some people don't like getting plunged under icy water with such a large, open, alien filled, complex map as this being the first map in an episode. They like being eased into things. You don't like fake doors. I don't like salsa on my ice cream. We all have our own little eccentricities.

This post has been edited by Forge: 14 March 2019 - 08:12 PM

User is offline   juvenite 

I loved this mod tbh, although I haven't played the new levels yet, I've already played a few of the original levels with this mod and it's amazing,

I like the different death animations, Bombshell's character and new weapons, the sounds are great (except for the shotgun's bullet impacts on bodies, it's way too loud). Really interesting mod. Great work!

Also, those kamikaze troopers scare the shit out of me Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 14 March 2019 - 09:21 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostKatrix Kytarix, on 14 March 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

Also, those kamikaze troopers scare the shit out of me Posted Image

Me too, friend.

Also holy shit where did all that blood come from

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 14 March 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

you ended your opinion with an open ended question. Fake, or not, your rhetorical is my door.
If you got offended because I had a little fun with the way you decided to word things, then you're easily offended.

Some people don't like getting plunged under icy water with such a large, open, alien filled, complex map as this being the first map in an episode. They like being eased into things. You don't like fake doors. I don't like salsa on my ice cream. We all have our own little eccentricities.
Forgive my horrible joke, Forge ,but uhh... I'm offended so now I will smash you behind a door in dukematch... ahh those were the days when you could work out your anger in games...

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 March 2019 - 10:32 PM, said:

Me too, friend.

Also holy shit where did all that blood come from
I think he spawned a bunch of lizard troopers or is he playing on "Damn, I'm good"? Ehehehe. What a mess.

This post has been edited by Marya: 14 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMarya, on 14 March 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

Forgive my horrible joke, Forge ,but uhh... I'm offended so now I will smash you behind a door in dukematch... ahh those were the days when you could work out your anger in games...

You like salsa on ice cream?
I can't apologize for your horrible taste.

View PostMarya, on 14 March 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

I think he spawned a bunch of lizard troopers or is he playing on "Damn, I'm good"? Ehehehe. What a mess.

Yup, I just spawned a bunch of them Posted Image

Bind k "spawn 1680" and DNSTUFF, so I can kill the 3500 troopers that end up being spawned lol

It's good fun

except for those kamikaze bastards

View PostForge, on 14 March 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

Says the guy who gets all defensive after I make a sarcastic reply to his douchey comment...

Self-awareness clearly is not your forte. :)

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 15 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 March 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

It's pretty common in Duke 3D maps to have nonworking doors. Its a compromise. The environment should have a certain level of realism, but a limited amount of complexity. It's the same thing that motivates invisible walls in games.

Yeah, I use nonworking doors because a realistic looking building or structure needs to have a door, even when the building itself is just decoration. That's just the way it is, you either like it or you don't. The original game was only semi-realistic and also had to keep detail to a minimum for framerate reasons (hence, the plain grey walls). So it's not totally fair to compare that to maps made in 2019.

I'm not saying it's an invalid complaint btw, and I do try to keep the amount of fake doors to a minimum these days. The Sushi restaurant in Hard Rain has zero nonworking doors, for example.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 15 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 15 March 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Says the guy who gets all defensive after I make a sarcastic reply to his douchey comment...

Self-awareness clearly is not your forte. :)

pointing out butthurt is not defensive - it's offensive - thus you are offended.
but it's okay. Not everyone likes hot sauce.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Unrelated to this TC which I haven't played yet (but is looking great, congrats to everybody involved), re: decorative doors at it's something that also plagues my maps for time to time, toying around with them I recently realized there actually were plenty of ways to make them feel a lot less frustrating to players, all the while still implementing them for realism purposes. The idea is that even if the door is never meant to open, trying to activate it should still trigger something in the vicinity, say a minor effect, secret place or even just a sound. Most players hate decorative doors because technically, they are a false indication luring them to nowhere for a second and therefore, a waste of time. But if trying to open them noticeably triggers something different, they will still feel rewarded for their little investment of time, as well as see a function of sorts in an otherwise unpractical design.

Nonetheless they should still be used wisely, obviously.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 March 2019 - 03:11 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View Postck3D, on 15 March 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

Unrelated to this TC which I haven't played yet (but is looking great, congrats to everybody involved), re: decorative doors at it's something that also plagues my maps for time to time, toying around with them I recently realized there actually were plenty of ways to make them feel a lot less frustrating to players, all the while still implementing them for realism purposes. The idea is that even if the door is never meant to open, trying to activate it should still trigger something in the vicinity, say a minor effect, secret place or even just a sound. Most players hate decorative doors because technically, they are a false indication luring them to nowhere for a second and therefore, a waste of time. But if trying to open them noticeably triggers something different, they will still feel rewarded for their little investment of time, as well as see a function of sorts in an otherwise unpractical design.

Nonetheless they should still be used wisely, obviously.

I remember some usermap for Duke 3d that had non-openable doors in a hotel that made sounds using various voice files from the game.... it was some big city map, that was I think really well done.

This post has been edited by Marya: 15 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 15 March 2019 - 06:33 AM, said:

You like salsa on ice cream?
I can't apologize for your horrible taste.
No the salsa on ice cream had nothing to do with it...i just felt like trying to make people happy with a joke,and as usual the joke was horrible.,regardless you have a good day sir P.S.I prefer my salsa on Tortilla chips.

View PostKatrix Kytarix, on 15 March 2019 - 07:07 AM, said:

Yup, I just spawned a bunch of them Posted Image

Bind k "spawn 1680" and DNSTUFF, so I can kill the 3500 troopers that end up being spawned lol

It's good fun

except for those kamikaze bastards
Eh a good ol' RPG or Nuke should fix that for ya... speaking of which why can't we get a shrinker/expander upgrade? i'd like some extra ammo and maybe a faster firing rate. On That note did you know you can shrink the Sentries AKA mini-bosses?

This post has been edited by Marya: 15 March 2019 - 04:05 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 15 March 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

Eh a good ol' RPG or Nuke should fix that for ya... speaking of which why can't we get a shrinker/expander upgrade? i'd like some extra ammo and maybe a faster firing rate. On That note did you know you can shrink the Sentries AKA mini-bosses?

Sentries? Sentry drones, yes. In AA, you can shrink just about any enemy who is below a certain health amount. I think the cutoff is just above fat commander health. If an enemy has above that amount, the shrinker will do 30 damage to it.

As for upgrades, I thought about it but never implemented them. Firing rate seems good already. For shrinker, I would rather expand the area of effect so that all nearby enemies get shrunk. The expander is the babifier in AA, and an upgrade should do something related to that function imo. One idea I thought about was making the spawned babe be a giant who runs around crushing enemies for about 10 seconds (then she shrinks to normal size).

Eh a good ol' RPG or Nuke should fix that for ya...

And I did use it, if you look at the pic, there are barely any dead bodies for all the blood pools Posted Image

speaking of which why can't we get a shrinker/expander upgrade? i'd like some extra ammo and maybe a faster firing rate.

I do know of a mod that upgrades them, which is War of Attrition, also made by the same guy (DeeperThought).
The player level and upgrade system on that mod is amazing tbh, it's one of my favorite mods out there. You can get more ammo space by collecting backpacks that increase total ammo. When fully upgraded, Shrinker's projectile is like a black hole that sucks everyone towards it and crushes automatically most monsters, and Expander shoots up to three blasts per shot, if I ain't mistaken, while spawning monster allies when the aliens blow up. Pretty cool Posted Image

On That note did you know you can shrink the Sentries AKA mini-bosses?

What? Can they really? I've never seen them shrunk

EDIT:

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 March 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

Sentries? Sentry drones, yes. In AA, you can shrink just about any enemy who is below a certain health amount.

Ohh, I didn't know that Posted Image

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 15 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Sentries? Sentry drones, yes. In AA, you can shrink just about any enemy who is below a certain health amount. I think the cutoff is just above fat commander health. If an enemy has above that amount, the shrinker will do 30 damage to it.

As for upgrades, I thought about it but never implemented them. Firing rate seems good already. For shrinker, I would rather expand the area of effect so that all nearby enemies get shrunk. The expander is the babifier in AA, and an upgrade should do something related to that function imo. One idea I thought about was making the spawned babe be a giant who runs around crushing enemies for about 10 seconds (then she shrinks to normal size).

Make it spawn those combat women; the ones that kick & knife up aliens - like the ones in the Duke section of Smithsonian

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

User is offline   Forge 

No the salsa on ice cream had nothing to do with it...i just felt like trying to make people happy with a joke,and as usual the joke was horrible.,regardless you have a good day sir P.S.I prefer my salsa on Tortilla chips.

I was joking with you. I am also horrible at it. I also like salsa on tortilla chips.

Common ground reached

Normality achieved

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 15 March 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Make it spawn those combat women; the ones that kick & knife up aliens - like the ones in the Duke section of Smithsonian

The Japanese school girls are the only chicks who have those animations, though. We want the babifier to be able to spawn any of the walking female NPCs. Hence, giant women that crush monsters. Alternatively, normal sized kamikaze explosive women. Alternatively, we can keep kicking it around.

User is offline   minime637 

I have a big thought can we get mega atomic health 100 max health is 300 and add nuke upgrade beer that is similar to brutal doom rip and tear now duke, and bombshell can kill aliens with him and her fists or that going to be to hard???

User is offline   Marya 

Well my rate of fire idea was for the same reason of you expanded area of effect, the expander idea seems like a good idea,but i would prefer that be like a secondary fire ,because i use the babifier to make all the babes the ones i want...

Your kidding with me right? I said Sentry/miniboss because in the game the mini battlelord is called the Battlelord Sentry and so on with the others theres even code for a mini queen.... though before AA and mods it's impossible to shrink the OVerlord sentry (mini overlord) because it had such low health for some reason, i dunno if there was a similar problem with the mini cycloid emporer or not.

View PostForge, on 15 March 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

it already does as it spawns a random girl so there's a chance it'll be the Japanese girls. which i found out by my never ending quest to make all girls my favorite one, that the Japanese girls have a larger amount of health.

View Postminime637, on 15 March 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

I have a big thought can we get mega atomic health 100 max health is 300 and add nuke upgrade beer that is similar to brutal doom rip and tear now duke, and bombshell can kill aliens with him and her fists or that going to be to hard???
Steroids were suppose to increase the power of your kick,but I'd be all in for increased health beyond 200 maybe a health upgrade would allow you to get over 200 health using atomic healths.

This post has been edited by Marya: 15 March 2019 - 06:49 PM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 March 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

We want the babifier to be able to spawn any of the walking female NPCs. Hence, giant women that crush monsters

Death by Snu Snu!? Posted Image

View PostMarya, on 14 March 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

are you talking about the doors that close and kill you becaused they smash you behind the wall or the doors that when opened kill you with the same effect?

Both of them and especially the second ones, i can accept to be killed by a big and heavy door (between a wall) or damaged when it smash my face, not a stupid bathroom's door! Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options