Duke4.net Forums: Windows 10 - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 10

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 25 August 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

i wouldn't base any decision on rumor - get the gpedit.msc from a reliable source and set up your updates to notify download / notify install.

wouldn't work with Win 10 home unless you export the GPO change to a registry key to import into Windows 10 Home. But that's a good idea. I believe that you need this for Windows 10 Pro:

https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=45520

This download should include the gpedit.msc and allow you to configure policies and export them to .reg files afterwards for Windows 10 home. This download basically turns a regular workstation into an interface that can control server services a very useful admin tool for the toolkit. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

User is offline   Hank 

A bit less rumor.
Updates will come in bundles, on a monthly base. Miss a month or two, and the following months, all the missed bundles will be installed first then the current one. Thus, if you want an up to date computer, you are forced to accept all or nothing. So, Group Policy or not, Pro or Home, though shall get all updates. :P

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostHank, on 25 August 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

A bit less rumor.
Updates will come in bundles, on a monthly base. Miss a month or two, and the following months, all the missed bundles will be installed first then the current one. Thus, if you want an up to date computer, you are forced to accept all or nothing. So, Group Policy or not, Pro or Home, though shall get all updates. :P

But what if your network adapter is set to a metered connection? Typically that is suppose to stop the updates from downloading automatically... I guess time will tell.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 26 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHank, on 25 August 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

Still, DirectX 12 works only on 10, thus for games I have Win 10 Home, works fine so far, after all it's for entertainment, and there Windows 10 shines.

It's sad that when there is a good chance DirectX will finally lose ground, many still cling to this system-locked proprietary API. Congrats to Microsoft, you fuckers, for acting quick and offering free upgrade with their Vulkan clone.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostKathy, on 26 August 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

It's sad that when there is a good chance DirectX will finally lose ground, many still cling to this system-locked proprietary API. Congrats to Microsoft, you fuckers, for acting quick and offering free upgrade with their Vulkan clone.

Holy $hitballs! That's not very lady like ! HAHA

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHank, on 25 August 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

A bit less rumor.

it still might be possible to circumvent the mandatory installs by using the "Show Hide windows Updates" tool.
It's what I do now. Hide system updates for a month or two until they knock the system breaking bugs out of it with patches.

Last resort, one can always turn off the update service.

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Do we know about this?

http://gadgets.ndtv....-updates-728049

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

It's incredibly easy to disable Windows Updates in 10, has been since the start. Disabling the service, or using Group Policy tools.

User is offline   Kathy 

What's the point in updating to Windows 10 if you're not gonna update it anyway?

• The Sarien Encounter

DX12?

User is offline   Kathy 

Maybe, but it's hardly required now. But yeah, if someone that badly wants DX12 and doesn't want automatic updates, then it's a viable choice, I guess. And you can start service any time to download/install updates, so it's not really a problem.

• The Sarien Encounter

So I went to run Geforce Experience to turn on Shadowplay and record some gameplay. Turns out Geforce Experience was uninstalled. I didn't uninstall it. What the actual heck. So I download and reinstall it and...it's completely different and Shadowplay is missing from its features. So I run out of time because I'm late for work and decide to remote control my computer with Teamviewer from work to continue diagnosing the problem.

I get to work and call up Teamviewer on my laptop and...my home desktop is not listed as online. I got my wife to look at it and she said my computer was running. I got her to open the start menu and type "team" and to click on the Teamviewer icon when it loads up, thinking for some strange reason the program was just never launched since its last bootup. She tells me that she typed it and clicked and Windows Explorer came up. I'm assuming this means that it's not actually installed and that Windows is actually looking for something called "team" and that Teamviewer doesn't exist.

So I do further research and it turns out that Windows 10 updates can and will uninstall your programs without telling you. Apparently to "keep your system stable" by removing programs that are no longer compatible with future versions of Windows. This is the first time I've been legitimately upset with Windows 10 and a little scared what that could mean for getting older programs to run on my system anymore. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to attempt to fix these problems as I've got to go out of town immediately after work today, but this is a serious problem and a major nuissance. I'm tired of Microsoft screwing around with my stuff. It's bad enough that they design their OS updates to be incompatible with everything, but to remove them without asking me? Screw that.

User is offline   Forge 

stop windows 10 from updating your device drivers

http://www.tomshardw...ce-drivers.html

do a clean install of you video card driver

you can also install this tool to have a little better control of your updates.

http://www.zdnet.com...ows-10-updates/

it's useful if you set your updates for notify to download & notify to install

http://techgage.com/...ows-10-updates/

that way you can look at what they're trying to install on your comp & hide / block it with the above tool if you don't like it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 October 2016 - 06:38 AM

I've been using Windows 10 almost from day one. I really do not understand why those strange things are happening. When GFE was updated to v3.0, for example, Windows 10 didn't uninstall it; instead, GFE offered me to update and I did it. I've got all sorts of apps in both my W10 machines and never experienced this problem at all.

I personally always update because hey why not. W10 has pulled some unrequested reboots on me as well, but never while gaming, and it tends not to do it when you set your machine not to suspend or sleep. My desktop has gone days with an update in line without rebooting.

It's difficult to get a 100% private setup these days, which is why I gave up on it, much to my annoyance because I'm quite bothered by all the "customized" services offered by everyone (MS, Google, Facebook, heck even Valve). Something that really annoys me is the lock screen where MS tries to "guess" my tastes and let me choose a different background. However, I do not remember there being an option like this activated in my PC. I wonder if the only way to make it go away is to pick an image myself.

There are also reports of continuous data transfer between home Windows 10 computers and Microsoft's servers, which is worrying because it's not always clear what is being transferred.

What I recommend doing is to hunt for every privacy setting and/or those you believe are tied to data transfer with Microsoft, and disable them. No more Cortana, no customized search, no recommendation in Start Menu, no nothing. There's still the unrequested calling home, though.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 22 October 2016 - 12:56 AM

Hey guys I found this article about 9 problems w/ Windows 10 Creators Update. I experienced problems w/ Windows Update, Windows Defender and the Weather app taking too long to update. I mange to fix the problem I've been having by typing "net stop wuauserv" and then "net start wuauserv" in the CMD.exe (Administrator Mode). This link will be useful if you're having trouble with the Creators Update.

https://www.digitalt...problems-fixes/

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 20 June 2017 - 05:27 AM

I've noticed a lot of my automated scripts are taking 2x longer to execute after the creators update. Fucking Windows :P.

User is offline   Romulus 

Windows 10 Creators Update has been smooth sailings for me. Haven't run into issues from the OS side of things.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I might buy stronger computer but forces I would say obligates me to use Windows 10.

Is Duke, Mapster etc workable on Windows 10?
I heard people had issues but these posts were 2 years ago.
Lots changed in 2 years.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostZaxtor, on 05 September 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Is Duke, Mapster etc workable on Windows 10?

yes

• The Sarien Encounter

Everything works just fine.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice.
Just bought a new comp
i5 intel core.
8GB DDR4 ram.
Windows 10 (obligated)
motherboard has 6 slots so can connect 5 HD and 1 DVD player/burner.
500W supply etc
New Hard drive,
Video card (good one) since one on processor is not as good as my AMD

Bigger tower etc.
Cost me around <1,135.00$

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 05 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   Forge 

only issue I've really had with windows 10 is that its embeded default display driver likes to override the video card's driver. Plays havoc with resolutions & some old games & programs being able to go full-screen.

follow these steps - then download & install the latest video-card driver from your manufacturer (whether you need to update it or not)

https://www.laptopma...s-on-windows-10

also:

https://www.howtogee...-on-windows-10/

specifically the link in step 3:

https://support.micr...ource%3Dtwitter

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Difference is tremendously.
For Polymer mode in Duke putting lots of sprites.
On my old AMD 3.90 ghz 4core Win7 home premium, 16GB DDR3 ram (processor builtin vid card)
over 200 sprites i would lag to death on same screen.

I ran a test with my new comp and I start to lag around >2200 sprites on same screen with a 8GB DDR4 ram, i5 intel core (4 core 4 threads) 3.00ghz Windows 10 home.
uses a GeForce GTX 1050Ti EVGA vid card.

So is a damn huge difference.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 07 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Still going strong on version 1511 (build 10586.545)...

Posted Image

I don't dare click, of course.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Still going strong on version 1511 (build 10586.545)...

Posted Image

I don't dare click, of course.

Declining security updates for over a year for your chance to be patient zero in the next Windows 0-day exploit clusterfuck isn't really something to be proud of, man.

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not pride. More of a wonderment why it hasn't detected any updates since I don't think it's possible to defer updates that long.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Might be that the wUpdate client got updated during that time.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It's entirely possible to configure Windows 10 to not automatically check for or download updates. Personally, I have everything disabled except for the basic notification that updates are available. I pull most of them in using Windows Update MiniTool, a third-party Windows Update interface that gives you a fair bit more control over the process than the built in interface does. You can check that out here: https://wumt.blogspot.com/

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options