Duke4.net Forums: Windows 10 - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 18 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 10

User is offline   EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT 

  • Flutter Faggot
  • 941

#1

Ok, so every Windows machine I have access to is asking me to sign up for the free Windows 10 upgrade. I've signed up for it on all machines.

So, what are your thoughts on Windows 10? Will you upgrade? If so, why? If not, explain?


As for me, I usually don't upgrade to anything until I absolutely have to. Windows 8.1 is running great on my new Lenovo (I know some people have a polarized view of Windows 7; I've used it extensively on plenty of computers and I think 8.1 is butter smooth) and I don't want to fix what I haven't had any problems with.

I actually had access to Windows 10 betas through my Dreamspark account attached to my school, and I could hardly be bothered. I personally don't care, but I am curious if anyone else is getting the upgrade or is planning to buy a new computer around that time, and what the incentive is.

This post has been edited by Nopony: 08 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!
  • -4,960

#2

Liked 7. Hated 8. From what I hear, 10 is the best of both worlds, so yes, I am planning to upgrade on every PC that is eligible.

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Keep Radar away!
0

User is offline   Hool 

  • 162

#3

I've rarely used Windows 8 - if ever - so I've been using Windows 7 ever since it launched. Can anyone give me a rundown of the Pros and Cons of Windows 8? From what I've heard Windows 10 has the usability and functionality of both 7 and 8.1 mixed together - the best of both worlds. So, I'm only aware of what Windows 7 has to offer compared to 8 or 8.1.

I'm looking forward to 10 however - DirectX12 sounds like an exciting prospect with terms of better performance and efficiency. No idea about what the other major features 10 will bring to the table however.

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 08 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

0

User is online   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer
  • 1,830

#4

Under the hood, 8 is amazing. In the cockpit - meh! It's like someone took a Ferrari and put a Reliant Robin body onto the chassis.

The worst bit is the Metro tile interface that is built for mobiles but that keeps popping it's head up like Freddy fucking Kruger on desktops. You can get UI enhancements to tell it to go forth, procreate and expire, but it's a right pain. That and it looks like crap. All the lovely transparency that was there in 7 is all gone and in it's place is a rather bland UI. That's not a big hairy deal, but it's a bit of a downer. Oh, if you don't like the icons in 8, 10 will have you wanting to claw your eyes out every time you use your comp.

The only real worrying thing is that they are still doing major tinkering with the thing and they are supposed to be going live with it at the end of the month. Will it be ready for battle on the day?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 08 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

2

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!
  • -4,960

#5

View PostTea Monster, on 08 June 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Oh, if you don't like the icons in 8, 10 will have you wanting to claw your eyes out every time you use your comp.


I can tolerate Windows 8's kiddie watercolor UI if it's windowed. That's the whole point of "windows" - for multitasking. If you dominate the entire screen with wasted real estate, the result is lost productivity and people-hours.

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Keep Radar away!

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 08 June 2015 - 12:21 PM

0

User is offline   EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT 

  • Flutter Faggot
  • 941

#6

View PostWheatleyNukem, on 08 June 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

I've rarely used Windows 8 - if ever - so I've been using Windows 7 ever since it launched. Can anyone give me a rundown of the Pros and Cons of Windows 8? From what I've heard Windows 10 has the usability and functionality of both 7 and 8.1 mixed together - the best of both worlds. So, I'm only aware of what Windows 7 has to offer compared to 8 or 8.1.


Well, Windows 8 has this really cool revamped Start menu that all its users love. :D
Spoiler

I like Windows 8 for the little things. There were bugs in programs I use daily (like my online Duke clients and source ports and my MIDI-based writing programs) that had universal bugs on 7 and no problems in 8.1. And these old programs have no support or very little, so getting the extra compatibility was fantastic. I don't care about the start menu. 90% of my time on a computer is spent with a Duke game running or Guitar Pro 5 and Sibelius 5 open, so my judgment is based on how well these programs run, and they run better in 8.1 than on 7.

This post has been edited by Nopony: 08 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

0

User is offline   Hool 

  • 162

#7

So, is Windows 10 actually free with no strings attached? When they announced it as Free I thought it would be chock full of ads to cover for the lack of an asking price - that or it's free for a certain time then you'll have to pay for it (which sounds awful to do - but that hasn't stopped other companies doing the exact same before). There's a saying that goes "There's no such thing as a free meal" - so I'm pretty skeptical. However, I hope operating systems start to take this route from now on - as odd as it sounds. Having a free OS means you'll draw in a large demographic of users and compatibility.

This post has been edited by WheatleyNukem: 08 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

0

User is offline   EMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT 

  • Flutter Faggot
  • 941

#8

It's free. It even says it's a full version of Windows 10, not a trial.

I don't have a hard time believing it's free. Almost every IT jobsite or IT school program provides access to Dreamspark or other equivalents. Free operating systems are pretty much handed out to anyone who works or studies in the IT field, and to those who don't, finding a relative or friend who does isn't that hard to do. My high school gave out free operating systems, and if you had classes in the computer junkyard like I did, I could copy the ISO file to a blank DVD somewhere in the room and give somebody the universal key that was written on the board that was provided to the school. It's that easy. I'm not surprised Microsoft is just handing them out now.

This post has been edited by Nopony: 08 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

0

User is offline   ReaperMan 

  • 1,257

#9

Its only free if you legal own a copy of windows vista or above.
0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!
  • -4,960

#10

And not all versions of Windows 7 are included. It seems that Enterprise and Ultimate versions are not eligible for the upgrade.

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Keep Radar away!
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador
  • 4,983

  #11

Enterprise isn't eligible, Ultimate should be. It's a pretty nice OS... been running the preview builds for about 6 months here.

EDuke32 wiki svn builds bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 5,506

  #12

I've used Windows 7 on my desktop machine for three years, and Windows 8 / 8.1 on my laptop for two. I chose 8 for my laptop because of the battery-saving tickless kernel and used StartIsBack (at TX's suggestion) to restore the start menu, and I've had minimal complaints. I'm going to upgrade my laptop to 10 on launch day, but I am hesitant to migrate my desktop because mandatory DWM conflicts with some emulators and there isn't a good solution available outside of asking for a new version.
1

User is offline   Forge 

  • 4,914

#13

I'd probably wait a year before upgrading so some of the bugs are knocked out of it.

Vista made me paranoid about Windows products
0

User is offline   ReaperMan 

  • 1,257

#14

View PostForge, on 08 June 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

Windows 1.0 made me paranoid about Windows products

:D
1

User is offline   The Commander 

  • I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...
  • 1,234

#15

Inb4 Viper gives his seal of approval of Windows 10.

Posted Image
0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • 2,429

#16

I haven't gotten the notice yet. I'm running Windows 7 Pro. My dad has Vista and he got the notice last week. I'm not sure I want to change, though. I'm wary about incompatibilities. Also, I use an Audigy 2 ZS for extra MIDI ports and it's running on custom drivers as it is on 7. My bet is it definitely won't work on 10. I assume the free upgrade won't work after a certain amount of time?

Roland SC-55 Music Packs
Duke3D, Doom, Descent, Hocus Pocus, and more...
Legacy of Grabbag Metal Medley
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001
0

User is offline   Hool 

  • 162

#17

View PostHendricks266, on 08 June 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

I've used Windows 7 on my desktop machine for three years, and Windows 8 / 8.1 on my laptop for two. I chose 8 for my laptop because of the battery-saving tickless kernel and used StartIsBack (at TX's suggestion) to restore the start menu, and I've had minimal complaints. I'm going to upgrade my laptop to 10 on launch day, but I am hesitant to migrate my desktop because mandatory DWM conflicts with some emulators and there isn't a good solution available outside of asking for a new version.


I have Windows 7 on a laptop - should I upgrade to 8.1 for better battery life or just wait until 10? Right now I'm having to keep it on charge when using it as I find that the battery life is pretty horrific - even on "Battery Saving Mode".

My brother upgraded his gaming PC to 8.1 as he said that Windows 7 "destroys SSD's" - he hasn't given me an explanation as to why - so I don't know if that's true or not. I don't own an SSD myself but I've always wanted to get one for my Windows 7 PC, but after hearing about what he said it's pushed me further to upgrade (back then, before 10 was announced).
0

User is offline   themaniacboy 

  • 89

#18

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 June 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

I haven't gotten the notice yet. I'm running Windows 7 Pro. My dad has Vista and he got the notice last week. I'm not sure I want to change, though. I'm wary about incompatibilities. Also, I use an Audigy 2 ZS for extra MIDI ports and it's running on custom drivers as it is on 7. My bet is it definitely won't work on 10. I assume the free upgrade won't work after a certain amount of time?

You have one year to upgrade for free, after that, it will have a price tag.
0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!
  • -4,960

#19

View PostTerminX, on 08 June 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

Enterprise isn't eligible, Ultimate should be. It's a pretty nice OS... been running the preview builds for about 6 months here.


My Ultimate PC did not get the notice, but my Home Laptop did. I wonder if it's a phased opt-in.

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Keep Radar away!
0

#20

View PostComrade Major, on 09 June 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

My Ultimate PC did not get the notice, but my Home Laptop did. I wonder if it's a phased opt-in.


My PC has Windows 7 Ultimate and i have that annoying upgrade notice.
0

User is offline   DustFalcon85 

  • 483

#21

View PostThe Commander, on 08 June 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Inb4 Viper gives his seal of approval of Windows 10.


How a/b Brownfarted's seal of approval? Posted Image
0

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland
  • 2,748

#22

I've been daily driving Windows 10 on my desktop for a a month or so now, here are my thoughts on it:

-The UI is the best yet. Small and gets the fuck out of your way. It's like Win9x meets Windows 7.
-It's incredibly fast. Like, retarded fast.
-It's basically 7 polished to hell and back.
-It's fucking great.

Here's what isn't working:

-Intel Rapid Storage Technology. The only AHCI drivers that load are the basic "floppy" drivers for installing the OS. The OS is so much faster this isn't much of an issue. That said there are still times where I notice my disk I/O isn't what it used to be. This isn't Microsoft's fault, Intel hasn't written drivers compatible with .NET Framework 4.6 yet.
-VIA HD Audio control panel. I have to change all my audio settings via the sound control panel, which is the same clusterfuck it's been since Vista. The drivers work fine however, and I was even able to change settings like my optical audio out's sample rate (24 bit/96KHz.)
-The GUI isn't stable. Folders with thousands of pictures cause explorer lockups, and after many hours of constant use it's not uncommon for the GUI to shit it's pants, forcing a hard reset. Everything animates and works but nothing can be clicked.
-Older video drivers. DirectX 12 is going to be a problem if you have an Nvidia card. No more downgrading. This is a big one because Nvidia's legacy OpenGL and DirectX support sucks massive cock compared to AMD's.

And finally, the worst of the worst...

KEGA FUCKING FUSION. Literally does not work at all, and there is no work around. The unofficial patch for Windows 8 doesn't fix the jitters. DirectDraw is deprecated to fuck in this OS. If you need to run any legacy 2D stuff, dual boot Windows 7. Windows 8 also lacks GDI rendering, as does Windows 10.

Overall, would I recommend 10? Absolutely. But I'd recommend you dual boot your shit, this is the biggest leap we've had since Vista. I never thought a Genesis emulator would be the main reason to dual boot, but hopefully Steve Snake releases one final build of Fusion that plays nice with DWM, because GDI is dead as a fucking dodo.

Posted Image
There is no race, only racists.
Proud trigendered babysexual pan-Korean anarcho-transhumanist
Muslims are peaceful people oppressed by cis white males! Hillary for presidynt!
WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED BY DONALD TRUMP'S VIOLENCE!

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 10 June 2015 - 10:57 PM

0

User is offline   faked 

  • 205

#23

Nope.No upgrade for my laptop.Running 8.1 now.I'll just buy a new laptop with 10 on it.
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer
  • 5,506

  #24

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 June 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

-The GUI isn't stable. Folders with thousands of pictures cause explorer lockups, and after many hours of constant use it's not uncommon for the GUI to shit it's pants, forcing a hard reset. Everything animates and works but nothing can be clicked.

Does the "Launch folder windows in a separate process" option in Folder Options help with this?

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 June 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

KEGA FUCKING FUSION. Literally does not work at all, and there is no work around. The unofficial patch for Windows 8 doesn't fix the jitters. DirectDraw is deprecated to fuck in this OS. If you need to run any legacy 2D stuff, dual boot Windows 7. Windows 8 also lacks GDI rendering, as does Windows 10.

I'm holding out hope that Exodus gets really stable soon.
0

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland
  • 2,748

#25

View PostHendricks266, on 11 June 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

Does the "Launch folder windows in a separate process" option in Folder Options help with this?


I haven't tried this yet. Thanks for the hint. I'll give it a shot later.

Quote

I'm holding out hope that Exodus gets really stable soon.


Screw that. Kega is accurate enough. It's already almost on par with bSNES for accuracy. Steve Snake needs to redo the renderer for DX9, and maybe backport the slightly improved FM emulation from Exodus and be done with it. The foundation is built out of solid gold, it's seriously one of the best pieces of software I've ever used.

View Postfaked, on 11 June 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

Nope.No upgrade for my laptop.Running 8.1 now.I'll just buy a new laptop with 10 on it.


...Why? A. It's free and B. Windows 10 doesn't have steep hardware requirements at all. And it accepts most older drivers fine. I mean, shit man, I forced Vista drivers for a Radeon X1400 onto a nine year old laptop running 8.1 the other week by enabling "Test Mode" and the damn thing ran like Grease Lightning.

Posted Image
There is no race, only racists.
Proud trigendered babysexual pan-Korean anarcho-transhumanist
Muslims are peaceful people oppressed by cis white males! Hillary for presidynt!
WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED BY DONALD TRUMP'S VIOLENCE!

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 11 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

0

User is offline   Duke of Hazzard 

  • 165

#26

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 June 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

And finally, the worst of the worst...

KEGA FUCKING FUSION. Literally does not work at all, and there is no work around. The unofficial patch for Windows 8 doesn't fix the jitters. DirectDraw is deprecated to fuck in this OS. If you need to run any legacy 2D stuff, dual boot Windows 7. Windows 8 also lacks GDI rendering, as does Windows 10.


Dump that for the GenPlusGX core in RetroArch.

Kega Fusion was the best Sega emulator (for Windows at least), but because the coder used proprietary Sega coding in it, he made it closed-source, and it hasn't been updated in quite some time so chances are the guy abandoned the project.

The only thing Kega Fusion can do that GenPlusGX can't (ATM) is 32X emulation, but that's almost a non factor, unless you have the hots for Knuckles, as the 32X has, like, 3 games worth playing, and the rest are arcade ports of something, which you should be using MAME for anyway (like After Burner and Mortal Kombat).
0

User is online   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer
  • 1,830

#27

View Postfaked, on 11 June 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

Nope.No upgrade for my laptop.Running 8.1 now.I'll just buy a new laptop with 10 on it.


**cough** link **cough**

back up all your data first.
1

User is offline   Duke of Hazzard 

  • 165

#28

View PostPerson of Color, on 11 June 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

Screw that. Kega is accurate enough. It's already almost on par with bSNES for accuracy. Steve Snake needs to redo the renderer for DX9, and maybe backport the slightly improved FM emulation from Exodus and be done with it. The foundation is built out of solid gold, it's seriously one of the best pieces of software I've ever used.


That's only because he worked for Sega and probably had lots of "insider" info. bsnes is more impressive, though its interface is worse.

Ever since Genesis Plus GX was ported to libretro (thus becoming cross-platform instead of being restricted to the Wii), there's little reason to use Kega Fusion unless you have a 32X fixation.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 12 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

0

User is offline   Person of Color 

  • Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland
  • 2,748

#29

I haven't played with Genesis Plus, and there are 32X games I actually like to play. Shadow Squadron and Virtua Racing are boss as fuck.

Posted Image
There is no race, only racists.
Proud trigendered babysexual pan-Korean anarcho-transhumanist
Muslims are peaceful people oppressed by cis white males! Hillary for presidynt!
WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED BY DONALD TRUMP'S VIOLENCE!
0

User is offline   Duke of Hazzard 

  • 165

#30

View PostPerson of Color, on 12 June 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

I haven't played with Genesis Plus, and there are 32X games I actually like to play. Shadow Squadron and Virtua Racing are boss as fuck.


I do have the hots for the 32X, and I hate that the best alternative in RetroArch to play 32X games is the shitty Picodrive core, but for everything else GenPlusGX is probably more accurate than Kega, and in RetroArch you can also use shaders and the built-in Blargg filters to emulate different video signals (I love the RF one, makes me feel all nostalgic and giddy).

I wonder if people have made homebrew for the 32X. It's said it was underutilized when it came out.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 12 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 18 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options