Windows 10

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostLunick, on 15 August 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

Make sure it's not an infected copy :P

it's windows 10, how will you tell?

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 14 August 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

They got rid of the start button and forced the start screen with Windows 8 initially. How many people weren't bothered by that decision? It would seem they aren't real worried about pissing everyone off (nor have they ever been) which is why I worry about the Win32 API.

Because changing visual interface and getting rid of the main functionality is totally comparable.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostKathy, on 15 August 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

Because changing visual interface and getting rid of the main functionality is totally comparable.

Do you have any clue whatsoever, what it is that makes you argue against valid points?

This post has been edited by Robman: 15 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostForge, on 15 August 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

it's windows 10, how will you tell?

I was referring to an incident where Classicshell was involved with some hackers and a Rootkit http://www.theregist...d_also_for_fun/

User is offline   Forge 

View PostLunick, on 15 August 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

I was referring to an incident where Classicshell was involved with some hackers and a Rootkit http://www.theregist...d_also_for_fun/

"...blows away the boot record sector and potentially trashes the partition table on the main drive, rendering the PC unbootable until it is repaired"

again - it's windows 10, how will you tell?

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostForge, on 15 August 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

"...blows away the boot record sector and potentially trashes the partition table on the main drive, rendering the PC unbootable until it is repaired"

again - it's windows 10, how will you tell?

Can't you just ask Cortana, if it's infected or not, searching through Bing? Just saying.

In other news, fuck MS, fuck 10 Pro. You either dish out annual cash to MS for Enterprise or you have a Home/Pro computer for ehmm doing ... could not phrase a proper question to Cortana yet what we are supposed to do with this OS. Burn it, sue MS not sure yet. Have I said fuck MS, well here it is fuck MS.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostKathy, on 15 August 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

What good is functionality if you struggle to find it?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHank, on 15 August 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Can't you just ask Cortana, if it's infected or not, searching through Bing? Just saying.

In other news, fuck MS, fuck 10 Pro. You either dish out annual cash to MS for Enterprise or you have a Home/Pro computer for ehmm doing ... could not phrase a proper question to Cortana yet what we are supposed to do with this OS. Burn it, sue MS not sure yet. Have I said fuck MS, well here it is fuck MS.

Use it for 10 to 20 minutes to find, download, and burn to disk the flavor of Linux you like.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

Microsoft admits that Windows 10 Anniversary has a BIG problem. PCs w/ SSDs are freezing up. So you're gonna have to wait until Microsoft fixes it.

http://www.forbes.co...s/#7b6bdfd67745

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 15 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

User is offline   Hank 

^ Wait for what?
As of today I'm back with my little team, full time, in construction, with real deadline. The Nerd on Wheel guy worked all day to install 7 on all of the machines, while we had coffee and donuts. What a fucking first day.

@ Forge, this is what Jason also said. I'm gonna test the critical software, if it works with Wine, then good buy MS Monopoly. But I'll wait until I have a clear head, right now is not a good time.

User is offline   Forge 

in the mean time install & play the old windows 7 games that M$ decided they wanted to charge you for with window$ 10

http://winaero.com/b...for-windows-10/

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

User is offline   Forge 

kinda sad to have to install a bunch of 3rd party software on an O/S just to make the interface and system itself usable - on top of actually having to harden my system against the fuckers that made it so they don't collect data about my duke nukem & redneck rampage habits.
(the last part also applies to window 7 & 8)

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still have Minesweeper, Solitaire, and Spider Solitaire from Windows XP backed up.

User is offline   Forge 

i snagged all the files for those games off my old windows 7 hard drive (w/ dead boot sectors). They wouldn't play. They wouldn't even launch.

i'm running windows 10 & have it tweaked & locked down to my satisfaction. It only took several months and several complete O/S re-installs after breaking their shitty system (where everything is tied together to keep you from disabling their rootkit spyware). The only thing that annoys me anymore is the "all or nothing" windows update crap. There's no box to uncheck next to updates if I don't want the damn thing. Have to go through the process of running the update troubleshooter and selecting to hide the updates I don't want.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostHank, on 15 August 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

^ Wait for what?
As of today I'm back with my little team, full time, in construction, with real deadline. The Nerd on Wheel guy worked all day to install 7 on all of the machines, while we had coffee and donuts. What a fucking first day.

@ Forge, this is what Jason also said. I'm gonna test the critical software, if it works with Wine, then good buy MS Monopoly. But I'll wait until I have a clear head, right now is not a good time.

If the software isn't doing anything special (just basic WinAPI calls and things covered by Mono) a suprising amount of software works just fine, and if it's older software there's a significant chance it works better in Wine than Windows. If it's a well known piece of software that's critical for lots of people (like Photoshop) then often checking WineHQ's AppDB will tell you how to get something up and running.

The big problem is that D3D10/11 support is just starting to come together.

User is offline   Forge 

when all else fails, run linux inside windows 10

Run Bash, SSH and other Linux Apps on Windows 10

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Yeah because that'll get rid of Windows causing problems with your machine!

User is offline   Forge 

exactly.
you're a quick one.

don't forget to keep your system up to date too:

Microsoft Warns Windows 10 Update Has A Serious Problem

(for the "Anniversary Update" that was supposed to be a big promotional push for their OS)

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

No bugs or problems for me with win10, what's wrong with me?

User is offline   Hank 

Probably nothing. It depends on the version and what you need it to do.

I want no Cortana, no suggestions pop-ups and certainly no subliminal advertisement from an OS. It's not needed for a micro business. If you then have the audacity to block disabling those feature with an major update, we are on a collision course. If the system slows down while doing junk in the background, you are toast. Because I don't know how much more shit we will have to tolerate down the road with more updates, 10 is dead. Period.

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 August 2016 - 02:29 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Since I reset my install after screwing up folder ownerships. I haven't had any problems either. Acts just like Win7 now for the most part. The parts that matter. It's just like a new skin. I don't use any apps so everything feels normal. I haven't gotten the update yet, though.

User is offline   Forge 

Since I've killed cortana, telemetry, opted out my wifi, killed all the unnecessary and additional M$ rootkit auto-start programs and services, and took control of updates; I've had little problem.
Mostly just getting drivers for my hardware that work properly.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostSpiker, on 16 August 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

No bugs or problems for me with win10, what's wrong with me?

Same here. I had some issues installing updates for Windows Defender after upgrading on one of my machines, but I solved and it's fine now.

User is offline   Paul B 

From a retail computer store's perspective, Windows 10 has been an unexpected stimulus package with no end in sight. Thanks to Microsoft, they keep releasing updates that break stuff! We see just as many botched systems from Windows updates as we do from Malware ridden systems. The majority of the systems we service from a Windows 10 disaster the clients end up reverting back to Windows 7. Makes a guy wonder how many total Windows 10 activations there really are?

I'm presently in the process of switching all my Microsoft servers to free open source virtual Linux appliances which can handle Kerberos, LDAP, Group Policies, SAMBA, DNS, DHCP, SharePoint & Terminal Services. No subscription services, No Licensing fees and better support!
Honestly, where do you think Microsoft gets its ideas from? Nothing original has been released from Microsoft since the early 2000's. They are stealing all their ideas from Mac. The bad Apple is the king when it comes to forcing people to upgrade their crap with subscription services and OS updates, whether it's for better or worse, it's a closed system.

We are living in an era where the Linux community is going to thrive, and Microsoft has left the door wide open.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 17 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Looks like people are starting to see why I've been using a mac more and more over the last few years.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Faggot.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 16 August 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

We are living in an era where the Linux community is going to thrive, and Microsoft has left the door wide open.

I know it's off-topic, but Fedora works well. Not an OS that wants to know every move done, and unfortunately does not come with a Cortana equivalent, but it runs all software.
Thanks to Mblackwell and Forge for the heads up. :P
Many, many thanks goes to Microsoft and its Windows 10, it's the very OS that opened up a brand new horizon for modern computing. B)

This post has been edited by Hank: 21 August 2016 - 03:32 AM

My ASUS Gaming PC is back from repair and back from the dead but... The OS version is Windows 10 Home 10240 instead of 1511. Should I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro just to have my approval of what updates to be installed? I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary edition until Microsoft irons out the bugs and glitches of the Anniversary Edition.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 25 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 25 August 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

My ASUS Gaming PC is back from repair and back from the dead but... The OS version is Windows 10 Home 10240 instead of 1511. Should I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro just to have my approval of what updates to be installed? I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary edition until Microsoft irons out the bugs and glitches of the Anniversary Edition.

If the rumors are true, come October, both Home and Pro will have forced updates. Meaning you can' t use the group editor for this to opt out, and need to go into the Registry; lot's of fun that.

Still, DirectX 12 works only on 10, thus for games I have Win 10 Home, works fine so far, after all it's for entertainment, and there Windows 10 shines.

User is offline   Forge 

i wouldn't base any decision on rumor - get the gpedit.msc from a reliable source and set up your updates to notify download / notify install.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options