• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 10

User is offline   Kathy 

Can you "ping facebook.com"?

It worked for a while and then started up again.

What have you installed there? If you remember when it started try to restore to that point. Also, check what have been changed in the system after.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 14 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 May 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

Happens on every browser. I'm already using Firefox. And it only started after we got our internet upgraded to a higher tier LTE network. There are no firewalls in place in Windows or in the router. I can't access the modem without credentials that the ISP won't provide me (employee service only, I guess).

make sure the windows firewall service is not running
it sounds like you installed something (like one of the those NSA go away programs) and now it's filtering your web content. Especially if the problem persists with Firefox AND Internet Explorer

check the bottom of the modem - sometimes the isp leaves the labels on them with the login information (just for your fyi, it probably has nothing to do with this issue)

User is offline   Mark 

After all these months I'm assuming :) Win10 has a lot of issues worked out through updates. Its getting closer to upgrade time for me. Once installed on my new machine are there a few generic steps to take to allieviate future problems? I'm sure if I wade through a hundred Google searched responses I'll get my answer but I figured I would ask here first.

User is offline   Forge 

You can probably get most of the information you want out of this thread - start around page 7 or 8.
That's about when the stuff comes up about shutting off the spy services and tweaking the system so you don't break it - and how to fix it if you do break it.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Adblock. It was Adblock. Disabled it for Facebook and it runs fine. So far.

EDIT: Ok, nope. That was a fluke. Still slows down randomly to a grinding halt. Though, I was wrong about it being the same in multiple browsers. Edge runs Facebook just fine. And after I use Facebook in Edge for a bit, it works fine in Firefox after.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

https://support.mozi.../kb/Safe%20Mode
test

To those who own Windows 10. Under any circumstances DO NOT upgrade to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10. It screwed up the OS in my desktop. It made my internet connection go spotty and removed the ASUS AI Charger b/c Win 10 Anniversary build 1607 is not compatible w/ it. Upgrading it will give you 10 days for you to roll back to the previous build of Windows 10 1511 or be stuck w/ the Anniversary edition. I rolled the OS back and gave me the blue six-dot-circling screen of death. I had to send my PC to a ASUS repair center to get it restored into factory settings. This Windows 10 Anniversary edition is a piece of obvious beta horsef***!

http://www.forbes.co...s/#705906c6756b
http://www.cio.com/a...-with-bugs.html
http://www.infoworld...s-continue.html

For the time being I had to fall back on my old desktop until I get my ASUS gaming desktop back.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 12 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

How do I not upgrade?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 12 August 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

To those who own Windows 10. Under any circumstances DO NOT upgrade to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10.

The only issue I have had was a Nvidia related blue screen possibly due to the update including a driver from it that I didn't want, other than that it has been perfectly fine.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 August 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

How do I not upgrade?

Avoid clicking the Update and Security settings button.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The real question is, what viable Windows alternative can be ready by the time Windows 7 is EOL'd?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostDustFalcon85, on 12 August 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

I had to send my PC to a ASUS repair center to get it restored into factory settings.

C'mon now.. I'm sure you're smart enough to "fix" it yourself.
Hell.. most laptops these days have a a partition with a back up of the factory install right on there and have options available at start up to do it.

Grab yourself some old puters and some windows disks and start messing around with them.

View PostHendricks266, on 12 August 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

The real question is, what viable Windows alternative can be ready by the time Windows 7 is EOL'd?

Yep, I use 7 .. no reason not to. ( Well, compared to later versions that is.)
Heh, actually they broke something simple like transparent backgrounds in paint from XP to 7.

This post has been edited by Robman: 12 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Who uses Paint? Besides for goofing around. It's not actually that useful.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 August 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

Who uses Paint? Besides for goofing around. It's not actually that useful.

I do, and sure it is.

What kind of dorks actually use Metro in windows 8 on a pc?

This post has been edited by Robman: 13 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

What do you use Paint for? I use PhotoShop and moreso PSP. I know those aren't free, but there's always GIMP and Paint.Net.

Metro sucks.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 August 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

What do you use Paint for? I use PhotoShop and moreso PSP. I know those aren't free, but there's always GIMP and Paint.Net.

Metro sucks.

For what I have to do with images.. here, I'll explain.

I use:

Built in windows image shit, mainly for viewing and rotating.

Acdsee32, a program from WAY back for converting to jpeg and some viewing, mainly .tga? files from Sw screenshots.

Paint for editing simplistic things, although potentially medium-complicated editing.
Online programs for transparent background stuff because win7 fucked that up and I'm not firing up an XP machine and transferring files back and forth.

My website to upload files to and then link to.. bout it? Heh.

If I want to make something artsy, I open SWPbuild and create something I can walk around in.

I had adobe shit in the the past for the above mentioned things.. and f*ck adobe.

Metro sucks²

This post has been edited by Robman: 13 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember ACDSee32. Still have a copy. I used it right up until WinXP. Stopped once I went to Win7. I still have a copy of ACDSee16 for Win3.1.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHendricks266, on 12 August 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

What do you mean by Windows alternative?

User is offline   deuxsonic 

10's been pissing me off for a while. It's installed on a few computers here including one of my laptops and the UI is infuriating among other things, not doing what you tell it to do. I keep wanting to put 7 back on it. It's basically a matter of time before I pull the trigger and get rid of 10 on there. I loved 7's UI and I consider that probably the best one that they've done to date. I don't understand what crawled into their brains. People (rightfully) gave Steve Ballmer a lot of shit, but it wasn't Satya Nadella-level stupid with this UWP garbage, attempting to turn Windows into the walled garden, still chasing after Apple and Google after all these years. The difference is that the people using those walled gardens bought into them -- it was what they knew they were getting into. In this case, it's being quite literally tricked and forced onto Windows users with 10. What's to stop them from depreciating the Win32 API and causing decades of software, really the one thing that Windows has always had over every other OS, a huge library of software to stop working as it should or making it annoying to use. In a perfect world, the nice things they added to 8 and 10 would be backported to 7 and those 2 would go away. I had given up on Quantum Break until they mentioned a Steam version is coming.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 13 August 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

What's to stop them from depreciating the Win32 API and causing decades of software

Stock price. They'd screwing over too many customers to pull that off. It's not in their interest. They might introduce it in new Windows but no way in hell they will depreciate this fundamental feature via update to the current one.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostKathy, on 14 August 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

Stock price. They'd screwing over too many customers to pull that off. It's not in their interest. They might introduce it in new Windows but no way in hell they will depreciate this fundamental feature via update to the current one.

There is no more "new Windows" remember? This is the last perpetually updated version.

View PostLunick, on 12 August 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

The only issue I have had was a Nvidia related blue screen possibly due to the update including a driver from it that I didn't want, other than that it has been perfectly fine.

Apparently Chrome and the Windows Store are broken, so you may experience that. The store can update apps, but not install them properly. Anything you install through the store after the Anniversary Update will either crash immediately or fail to install (MS Edge extensions fall under the latter).
Chrome will spam you with notifications of all your extensions crashing, and then proceed to not load any pages, and spam the "Page not responding" error.

If they aren't broken for everyone, I'm one of the unfortunate individuals that they are broken for.

This post has been edited by TheZombieKiller: 14 August 2016 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 August 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

There is no more "new Windows" remember? This is the last perpetually updated version.

Then they won't do it in the near future. Win10 has 32-bit versions, dammit. If they can't even abandon 32-bit for good, they obviously won't depreciate win32 API.

They got rid of the start button and forced the start screen with Windows 8 initially. How many people weren't bothered by that decision? It would seem they aren't real worried about pissing everyone off (nor have they ever been) which is why I worry about the Win32 API.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

That's the last of my worries too.

I hate Windows 8/10's rendered. DWM is garbage. I want Aero back. DWM has T E R R I B L E GDI and DirectDraw support.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 14 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I notice simple things like dragging a file or dragging via right click to another window takes a half second or more to show the icon or move/menu interface thing. Stupid little things like that. No problems in WIn7.

I like it when you open a menu and click on something, the menu closes like it registered your click, and then nothing happens. So then you do it again, and again, and eventually after a few minutes it registers and opens 16 windows. I love how they took away stuff like Solitaire and then set it so the old binary won't run on Win10 to get you to buy it from the store. I like how I'll tell Windows to shut down, the shut down screen comes up, and then it returns to the desktop as if I never told it to do anything and I end up having to hold down the power key until it shuts off. What else... Why is everything so flat? They went from kind of flat with the classic UI to more and more visually appealing to as flat as it could possibly be. Every time a new build installs it seems like something breaks. I really don't remember having that problem when they stayed with a single build and just released service packs. GDI+ is depreciated in 10, with Direct2D being intended to replace it. My favorite change has to be how everything is hidden or in some really out-of-the-way place where there's no fast shortcut to it anymore. Remember when you could right-click on your desktop and bring up Display Options and change resolution and everything? Now I have to fucking use the search to bring it up because apparently there's no shortcut for it anywhere and then you get this stub that looks unchanged from Windows 7 that it's like they didn't want you to see. How dare you want to make changes to your system settings!

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 14 August 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

If they aren't broken for everyone, I'm one of the unfortunate individuals that they are broken for.

I actually got a blue screen from trying out the Sonic Dash app before the Anniversary Update but no app blue screens since the update.

User is offline   Forge 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 14 August 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

I like it when ...rant

install classic shell

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostForge, on 15 August 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

install classic shell

Make sure it's not an infected copy :P

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options