• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah, the Slimer and the Egg are very uncustomizable. I'm very seriously thinking about rewriting them for my mod, it just makes the most sense to me.

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Another request: please make it impossible to capture certain monsters with moncapsules.
I mean those monsters (bosses) whose death ends the level.

Yesterday i captured a battlelord and had to release him again and kick him to death because i ran out of ammo. :)

This may be a bug report, but perhaps my rig is just too old : with Advanced AI turned ON, multiple respawns cause a big framerate drop (I cannot play at all). I experienced this situation with several usermaps, like Aquatic Hive, Fernocity and The Chronic : Compton. And I play without HRP, 640x480 32 bit polymost mode.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Advanced AI needs fast cpu

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 08 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Jun 8 2009, 02:49 PM, said:

This may be a bug report, but perhaps my rig is just too old : with Advanced AI turned ON, multiple respawns cause a big framerate drop (I cannot play at all). I experienced this situation with several usermaps, like Aquatic Hive, Fernocity and The Chronic : Compton. And I play without HRP, 640x480 32 bit polymost mode.

Yeah, there seems to be a bug. I was already about to start working on that, so here I go...

Hopefully I'll have a fix later today.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I fixed the advanced AI bug which was causing extreme slowdown.

Replace your CON files with these:
http://deeperthought...m/dp/dpcons.rar

Boring technical details follow:
Monsters using "advanced AI" follow a trail of invisible sprites spawned by the player in order to track him (generally speaking, this works a lot better than the hardcoded following routine). If a monster was not yet latched onto the trail, it would attempt to acquire the trail by checking each individual trail sprite in the array to see if it was accessible from the monster's position, until it found a trail sprite it could reach. The monster would check EVERY trail sprite EVERY single tic until it was latched on, or until the monster fell asleep. Monsters that spawned which were not in view of the player or his trail would therefore cause a huge drag on CPU.

The fix was to make each monster check only one trail sprite per tic, then save its position in the array until next tic. Since the maximum size of the trail array was 100 (and it was usually full), this means the monsters now take about 1% of the cpu that they did before when acquiring a trail.

Fantastic ! I'm going to make a marble sculpture of you, DT, and put it in my garden :)

Argh ! It seems that the latest bugfix messed up the DP Freezing Ray : after some shots, firing the basic ray crashes Eduke.

No problem with me.

Delete cache and cfg and retry

I the next I would like take the Battlelord Chaingun (whit also the bomb feature) and a 8bit sprite form of MP5, alternative shotgun and barreled shotgun (in this way there will no more black cubes if not using HRP).

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 09 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Jun 9 2009, 07:31 AM, said:

Argh ! It seems that the latest bugfix messed up the DP Freezing Ray : after some shots, firing the basic ray crashes Eduke.

Are you sure that wasn't just a random crash? I use that gun a lot and it never crashes. The build of EDuke32 I use is more recent than the last released snapshot so I can't be sure though.

Ah, OK, just got version of Eduke that is too old : now everything seems to look fine.
I also have to mention that the Advanced AI fix greatly improve the overall performance of DukePlus on my PC : just tried the Tribute To Action 2 map, that is filled with sprites and respawns and everything just runs greatly !

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostFantinaikos, on Jun 9 2009, 08:19 AM, said:

I the next I would like take the Battlelord Chaingun (whit also the bomb feature) and a 8bit sprite form of MP5, alternative shotgun and barreled shotgun (in this way there will no more black cubes if not using HRP).

Thats a good idea in principal, but the chaingun is held at or below the hip, so you wouldn't really see anything in the HUD. You could probably raise it up or re-gig it to work somehow. Firing proximity mines into a corridor during deathmatch would be very cool.

If you say, anyway i think this can resolved by the .DEF coding (Scale, Zadd,Yadd,Xadd ecc.) and the Battlelord Chaingun in HRP form is a separeted model so it's made most of the work. I create a sprite for BLC, the front pose (it's 24 bit, maybe need to be converted).

[img=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4707/battlelordchaingun1.png]

Posted Image

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Battlelord_chaingun_1.PNG

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on Jun 9 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

If you say, anyway i think this can resolved by the .DEF coding (Scale, Zadd,Yadd,Xadd ecc.) and the Battlelord Chaingun in HRP form is a separeted model so it's made most of the work. I create a sprite for BLC, the front pose (it's 24 bit, maybe need to be converted).

[img=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4707/battlelordchaingun1.png]

Posted Image

Are you saying you want the battlelord to drop his weapon when he dies, so the player can pick it up and use the minigun/mortar launcher as a subweapon of chaingun?

Are you saying you want the battlelord to drop his weapon when he dies, so the player can pick it up and use the minigun/mortar launcher as a subweapon of chaingun?

YESSSHHH, YESSSHHH. (Bison's trumpet)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 9 2009, 03:20 PM, said:

Yeppers. Sounds like a pretty cool idea if you ask me.

And as Fantanaikos mentioned earlier, the Chain/Mortar gun that Hellbound made is a separate model, so should be pretty easy to make a HUD version and a Pick-up.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 09 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Here's the model separated from the battlelord and the skin in the case you have problems to find it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8d207c5...04e75f6e8ebb871

For the mortar model, is in the "projectile" folder with the skin and a glow skin.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Thats a good idea, but to make the weapon fair, it should slow Duke down a lot.

or for duke to use it, he has to use steroids

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 10 2009, 02:45 PM, said:

Thats a good idea, but to make the weapon fair, it should slow Duke down a lot.

Yes. And that's easy to do, because I already have code for Duke moving slow when carrying heavy objects.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Would anyone be interested in a DP feature that allowed the player to turn off models on just the characters? So you could play with the HRP but the monsters, strippers, etc. would have 8-bit art and everything else would be models/hires. I know it sounds strange, but I would use that sometimes due to framerate, clipping and other issues (plus I prefer the original art in some respects).

User is offline   Sebastian 

Yeah, I'd use that actually. No offence but some character models look pretty awful.

User is offline   BlackDays 

Good feature. I always thought that Eduke32 should have come with this option, anyway.

Duke Plus is great. I hope you don't mind if I use a similar method of wall jumping in my TC (not a direct rip or anything.)

Actually, now that I think about it, I may have it switch to third person actually and code some separate animations, though, if I'm going to require it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostBlackDays, on Jun 13 2009, 09:36 PM, said:

Good feature. I always thought that Eduke32 should have come with this option, anyway.

But which tile numbers are "characters" depends on the mod/TC, and EDuke32 is a general platform for TCs, so I doubt that will happen. I've already added the feature to DP.

View PostBlackDays, on Jun 13 2009, 09:36 PM, said:

Duke Plus is great. I hope you don't mind if I use a similar method of wall jumping in my TC (not a direct rip or anything.)

No problem. In fact, you can rip the code if you want, as long as you give credit.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Duke Plus Version 2.02 Released

• A new level has been added to the Duke Plus hub: Tribute to Action II, by Dan Mason.
  • The lighting demo has been removed along with the fake dynamic lightning system to make room for Polymer, the upcoming renderer which has true dynamic lightning.
  • Various bug fixes since version 2.00
  • Optimization to the advanced monster AI option; framerate is improved in some situations.
  • New option in the Effects menu for disabling character models when the HRP is used.
  • Added some basic support for Polymer (currently, the player can use flares and glowbugs have been made into dynamic lights)
  • Added several new Duke taunts and other Duke one liners.
  • Added a new rain sound for light rain.

That new map by DanM is really great and a lot of fun. Check it out!

Edit: I'm re-uploading to fix a minor bug (I left some spawned characters out of the no model option, so they would still use models)

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 14 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

Report: the userplus.con in current dpcons.rar is different/newer than the one in current DukePlus.rar
The other con files are the same.

[edit]

it seems that you reuploaded DukePlus.rar :)
now it's ok

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 15 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsupergoofy, on Jun 15 2009, 08:48 AM, said:

it seems that you reuploaded DukePlus.rar :)
now it's ok

I also included an updated version of TTA2, the excellent new map by Dan M.

In future, in addition to the mortar/chaingan, you can make a way to use DP with Carribean and Nuclear Winter?

User is offline   XenoMatriX 

From the lack of response I take it this question was posted in the wrong place :)

I'll find somewhere more appropiate for it to go.

This post has been edited by XenoMatriX: 18 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options