Duke4.net Forums: Duke Plus - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is offline   Slapchop 

Hi guys, I've been trying to install DukePlus for the past couple of days but I continually crash on start up. I have Version 1.4 of Duke Nukem Atomic edition installed and have followed the installer text file that comes with DukePlus to the letter and I still cant get this to install correctly. My log is attached, any help would be appreciated.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   supergoofy 

1. Download DukePlus.rar

2. Download and install OpenAL from my link:
http://www.mediafire...php?gotzmkzyuin

3. Unpack DukePlus.rar to an empty new folder, for example: C:\Duke Plus v2.02\

4. Copy DUKE3D.GRP from your Atomic Edition CD to C:\Duke Plus v2.02\

5. Run dukeplus.bat

It's super easy. If it still crashes, then either your DUKE3D.GRP is not the Atomic Edition v1.5, or it may be corrupted.

Also update your graphics card drivers and your sound card drivers.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 16 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

View Postsupergoofy, on Jun 16 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

1. Download DukePlus.rar

2. Download and install OpenAL from my link:
http://www.mediafire...php?gotzmkzyuin

3. Unpack DukePlus.rar to an empty new folder, for example: C:\Duke Plus v2.02\

4. Copy DUKE3D.GRP from your Atomic Edition CD to C:\Duke Plus v2.02\

5. Run dukeplus.bat

It's super easy. If it still crashes, then either your DUKE3D.GRP is not the Atomic Edition v1.5, or it may be corrupted.

Also update your graphics card drivers and your sound card drivers.

Thanks very much, i ll give it a try when i get home from work tonight.

Works flawlessly, thanks so much

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Here is a 3 minute video preview showing the first part of Tribute to Action II, the new level by Dan M. The level is included with the latest version of Duke Plus.

http://www.youtube.c...6--MxbkU&fmt=18

Perhaps another bug report : with Advaced AI on, when you're using the Mindblast attack on that flying fat guys that shots rockets (I really don't remember their name, blame me), they keep using their slam-attack on you and rarely target the other enemies with it.
Obviously, I'm referring to version 2.02

This post has been edited by Headless_Horseman: 17 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

yer its the breakable glass sprites that enemies wont shoot through, iam not sure about other ones, ive never used them before, only want to use dp glass.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Jun 26 2009, 02:48 AM, said:

yer its the breakable glass sprites that enemies wont shoot through, iam not sure about other ones, ive never used them before, only want to use dp glass.

It's because my AI has monsters doing hitscans to check whether they have line of sight to their targets. The hitscan bit is set on the glass sprites, so for them it blocks their view even though we can see through it. You could turn off hitscan by pressing H on the sprites, but then weapons will pass right through them. In other words, it's a bug in the way the AI is coded. I had a reason for doing it that way as opposed to using the normal visibility functions, but unfortunately it has this result. I'll have to figure something out.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Can't you check if the wall/sprite hitscan hits is translucent and breakable? (or just translucent, depending on how miserable you want your enemies to act). If it is, start a new hitscan from the previous hitcoords until you find something that's not. Or would that be too much work because of the way your code is designed?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on Jun 26 2009, 09:32 AM, said:

Can't you check if the wall/sprite hitscan hits is translucent and breakable? (or just translucent, depending on how miserable you want your enemies to act). If it is, start a new hitscan from the previous hitcoords until you find something that's not. Or would that be too much work because of the way your code is designed?

That's all possible, but doing lots of hitscans takes a lot of cpu (imagine 30 monsters all doing it in a level with complex geometry). For this particular problem I think what I'll do is have the hitscan on breakable glass count as target confirmation (the hitscans are always straight at the target, so chances are the glass is the only thing blocking it). This will cause the monster to shoot, destroying the glass. On the next check, the glass will be gone.

EDIT: My code has already been doing exactly what I suggested above, so I have no idea what is going on ;) It might be something else, like an ifcanshoottarget in the monster's original code acting as an extra check and coming up negative...unless I have the map and can do some tests I won't worry about it further.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 26 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

It happens also in my map. But it's just a single instance of AI stupidity.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I found something that might account for the monsters acting stupid behind glass sprites bug. Try the latest CONs to test:

http://deeperthought...m/dp/dpcons.rar

User is offline   Spiker 

For me it didn't work. It would be also useful if something could prevent flying monster from moving vertically (especially down) when there is a deep sector separating them from the player. I mean they tend to fly down into the hole and don't attack the player then.

User is offline   Stabs 

cheers for that deeperthought, works alot better now

sometimes they still walk right upto the glass but they will shoot through it. sometimes a bit
delayed sometimes straight away, but at least they will now

spiker : i had that problem with the commander boss fight in the office in tta2, had to keep changing his respawn placement so he would float in, eventually finding a spot where he would enter correctly
most of the time.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Can anyone help me to get HRP and DukePlus both working?
Im using the latest EDuke32 Polymer SVN and I can only either have DukePlus or HRP not both.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postzchri9, on Jun 26 2009, 03:57 PM, said:

Can anyone help me to get HRP and DukePlus both working?
Im using the latest EDuke32 Polymer SVN and I can only either have DukePlus or HRP not both.

I've heard of that being a problem one other time, and that was with a linux user. You are using linux?

User is offline   Stabs 

btw that new jetpack feature in those cons is great

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 26 2009, 04:00 PM, said:

I've heard of that being a problem one other time, and that was with a linux user. You are using linux?

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate x64

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Jun 26 2009, 05:51 PM, said:

btw that new jetpack feature in those cons is great

Ah shit I forgot that was in there. It was an experimental feature for WGR2 that we ended up not using, and I wanted to preserve the code so I just pasted into DP for safe keeping. I probably should have commented it out, but glad to hear you like it.

For those wondering, it's a little hack that causes the jetpack to thrust if you hold down the jump key. But it doesn't turn on in the normal way, it's more like that ancient Lunar Lander game.

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

A bit like Tribes' jetpack I take it? That's really cool.

So now that you remember it's there, do you plan to remove it for good, or keep it as an option?

User is offline   Stabs 

should def keep it there as an option

User is offline   XenoMatriX 

I was wondering if you could add dynamically placed enemies and pickups to dukeplus.

For example, if you place 5 pigcops or healthkits e.t.c, and gave them all the same number in the "extra" or "yvel" slot or something like that, upon the launch of the map the game would randomly choose one of the sprites and place it, the other 4 would remain invisible. This would be similar to how the difficulty settings work, displaying only the enimies for that particular setting.

I hope that makes sense.

A feature like this would make the re-play value alot higher, would it possible to do?

This post has been edited by XenoMatriX: 27 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

That´s a good idea, i second it but with keycards

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

I agree. That's a pretty clever idea. Especially if it can be leveraged for deathmatch item spawn points as well.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostXenoMatriX, on Jun 27 2009, 08:35 AM, said:

I was wondering if you could add dynamically placed enemies and pickups to dukeplus.

For example, if you place 5 pigcops or healthkits e.t.c, and gave them all the same number in the "extra" or "yvel" slot or something like that, upon the launch of the map the game would randomly choose one of the sprites and place it, the other 4 would remain invisible. This would be similar to how the difficulty settings work, displaying only the enimies for that particular setting.

I hope that makes sense.

A feature like this would make the re-play value alot higher, would it possible to do?

I'm not sure if there are any slots left on sprites that could be used for setting that, but I'll look into it. WG and I are trying to finish the first installment of WGR2, so I won't be working on DP very much (if at all) until then.

User is offline   Flacken.WS 

With Dukeplus, Duke3D turned to The Great Duke Nukem Forever!!!
Adrenaline never end. The more I play, most I want to continue playing it. :D

This post has been edited by Flacken.WS: 07 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

I need a few people to beta-test my new map for DP, please PM me. Polmer runs poor on my machine (don't know about the recent builds) so I've put only a few spotlights (not worth running polymer really, and I couldn't even test them much!). You don't have to use HRP for this map as it should look fine in all modes. The map isn't long and the only advice I can give is "Never fall down" ;) Unless you're sure it won't kill you ;)

I suggest a little extension for special kicks. Maybe many original duke fans can remeber the famous double two foot "kick" not really-bug, or "bicycle kick" (press both at the same time the kicks buttons, left and right). For some reason with the eduke32 port this Non-bug is no longer avaible, i was thinking if you could "recycle" that for DP and make more realistic features, for es. duke cant move for many seconds when he do it and consume all (or half) kick energy. This double kick should make goes the enemy veeery far.

P.S. I suggest also to update the fire effects, the fire By "gt1750" in the latest 4.1 update is better than the fire of the actual version of DP.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 29 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This kick was fixed in the 1.4/1.5 releases.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSpiker, on Jun 29 2009, 12:54 PM, said:

I need a few people to beta-test my new map for DP, please PM me. Polmer runs poor on my machine (don't know about the recent builds) so I've put only a few spotlights (not worth running polymer really, and I couldn't even test them much!). You don't have to use HRP for this map as it should look fine in all modes. The map isn't long and the only advice I can give is "Never fall down" ;) Unless you're sure it won't kill you ;)

I have played the map! *SPOILERS COMING*

First a bug report. Due to a bug with the optional feature that turns models off on characters, the respawned skycar in your map was a black box for me. I have fixed this and will upload the corrected CONs shortly.

This map was medium length, not as short as you made it sound -- it just seems short compared with your last map! Construction is good, difficulty was about right (but see below), DP effects were used well, and the flow was pretty good. Nice detailing, especially on the indoor areas. In your maps, light switches actually work, doors actually open, which helps them feel like real locations. Now I have a few criticisms...

The map goes from hard to easy. Hard in the beginning because you have nothing to fight with, then easier as you get more equipment. This is a common "problem" with Duke maps so I won't make too much of it. There were a lot of grabbable boxes lying around on the rooftops that I could see no use for. I guess they were just for decoration (which is fine because I don't really like to stack them anyway), but some people will be confused by that and think they are supposed to do something with them. This brings me to what was disappointing: Not enough rooftop jumping and exploring! The best part of the map is near the beginning, when you have to use the rotating sign to jump to the next roof. I wish the map had a lot more stuff like that. For a Duke map that is pretty innovative. Why not take advantage of the mantling system and have Duke sliding along an edge with his hands? Or at least have an area with a bunch of those signs where you have to jump from one to another. Once you get inside a building, which happens pretty early in the level, it becomes a very normal Duke experience. You get to go outside a few more times, but you never feel any risk of falling off after that. I liked the Skycar part , and I'm glad you made the area large enough to fly around in comfortably. Maybe I should code a bomb view so you can see the target area before you drop the bomb, because that was the one thing that frustrated me a bit.

I have updated the CONs again to fix the bug I mentioned (same location as always).

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options