• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on Jun 29 2009, 01:08 PM, said:

P.S. I suggest also to update the fire effects, the fire By "gt1750" in the latest 4.1 update is better than the fire of the actual version of DP.

Yes, and it's about time! I didn't like having a different fire in DP.

• Duke Plus Developer

I have updated the main DP download so that it includes the latest CONs, and the DP fire is removed (so the new HRP fire will show). I did not mention this on the web site or in the documentation.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have added DP 2.02 to HRP site downloads section. This time, I have created zipfile but have NOT TOUCHED CONTENTS *AT ALL*. It is just zipfile instead of .rar. ;)

User is offline   Hawkeye 

The new jetpack functionality startled me when I first loaded it up. My first thought was: "Jump boots?"

Is there a way to modify them so that they don't activate the second someone hits the jump key? Say, a second's delay or so, to allow the player to reach the peak of the jump?

They did something similar in the old Starship Troopers TC (god I loved that), where you had to hold down the jump key mid jump, and then snap the 'jetpack' on to get any use out of it.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHawkeye, on Jul 1 2009, 04:01 PM, said:

The new jetpack functionality startled me when I first loaded it up. My first thought was: "Jump boots?"

Is there a way to modify them so that they don't activate the second someone hits the jump key? Say, a second's delay or so, to allow the player to reach the peak of the jump?

They did something similar in the old Starship Troopers TC (god I loved that), where you had to hold down the jump key mid jump, and then snap the 'jetpack' on to get any use out of it.

I keep forgetting to either disable that feature or finish coding it.

• Duke Plus Developer

There's a bug in the current svn version of Polymer which can cause EVENT_GAME to not work properly. This probably explains the strange behavior that some people reported a while back.

I will henceforth disregard all Polymer bug reports until further notice UNLESS the bug is known to happen using the older renderer (polymost).

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM, said:

I keep forgetting to either disable that feature or finish coding it.

I vote finish.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHawkeye, on Jul 2 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

I vote finish.

I will finish coding it...soonish. And by the way, it does not activate the instant you start a jump, it only activates if you are still pressing the key when you start to descend from the jump.

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 2 2009, 03:25 AM, said:

I will finish coding it...soonish. And by the way, it does not activate the instant you start a jump, it only activates if you are still pressing the key when you start to descend from the jump.

I would swear I hear the jetpack sounds even when I just tap the jump key...

• Duke Plus Developer

Duke Plus 2.03 Released

* Removed the replacement fire (the new HRP fire is better)
* Jetpack can now be activated in jump-jet mode by double tapping and then holding jump.
* A few bug fixes
* Tweaked the F7 view to make it more playable (camera is more aggressive about swiveling behind the player)
* Disabled the experimental code for Polymer dynamic light support (will add it back when Polymer is released)

Some of the changes had been made before this, but now it's official.

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 2 2009, 03:32 PM, said:

Duke Plus 2.03 Released

* Removed the replacement fire (the new HRP fire is better)
* Jetpack can now be activated in jump-jet mode by double tapping and then holding jump.
* A few bug fixes
* Tweaked the F7 view to make it more playable (camera is more aggressive about swiveling behind the player)
* Disabled the experimental code for Polymer dynamic light support (will add it back when Polymer is released)

Some of the changes had been made before this, but now it's official.

I was gonna suggest the double-jump-jetpack thing, but you beat me to it. Sweet ;)

EDIT Found a minor issue with the new jetpack mechanic: When the map transitions to another 'upper level,' if you're using the new jetpack functionality, it'll stick at the transition; it won't allow you to proceed upward; it'll just bounce you off the ceiling. (Try it on the E2L1, in, say the forcefield column; you'll see what I mean.)

This post has been edited by Hawkeye: 03 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

User is offline   aherin 

Hi there,
I've just been playing around with the new DNF skin pack for the HRP, and I've noticed just how much better the duke plus shottie fits in with the other weapon models now.

BUT, something that has always bugged me is the muzzle flash. To me it's always seemed too big, to the point of being a distraction. I think that it also needs a better sense of perspective, so that it comes out from the end of the barrel in more of a cone shape.

Just to give peeps an example I've found a few (free, I think) muzzleflashes on the net from here,

http://aenhancers.co....php?f=4&t=1100

and I manipulated the number 4 muzzleflash perspective and size a little using GIMP. This is what i came up with:
Attached Image: shotgunmuzzleflash.png

I am by no means trying to say this particular image should be a replacement because I didn't create it- I just altered another image.

What I am asking is if:
a- anyone else agrees with me that a muzzle flash like this could be an improvement ;) and
b-anyone with sufficient skills could recreate it so we could use it

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd explain myself fully before the inevitable "ZOMG plagiarist" responses ;) I did try this one out in game though and it seems to be on the right track.

Anyway, just a thought ;)

• Duke Plus Developer

If you can come up with something better, then I'm all for it. The current display code rotates the muzzleflash at random angles (and even draws two of them overlapping), so if you replace it with something that has a definite direction, it will look bad. I'm happy to change the display code to work with a better flash, though.

User is offline   aherin 

Ahh ok that does explain why the original muzzle flash seems to change shape, even though there's only one muzzle flash png ;)

Did you make it that way to make up for the fact that the model and the muzzle flash aren't "attached" to each other?
i.e. if a more static, cone shape was used, would it consantly be out of place due to the weapon sway animation?

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postaherin, on Jul 4 2009, 06:22 PM, said:

Ahh ok that does explain why the original muzzle flash seems to change shape, even though there's only one muzzle flash png ;)

Did you make it that way to make up for the fact that the model and the muzzle flash aren't "attached" to each other?
i.e. if a more static, cone shape was used, would it consantly be out of place due to the weapon sway animation?

No, weapon sway is not a problem -- the code already compensates for that.

User is offline   aherin 

Ok well that's good news.
The problem is that my photoshop skills pretty much end at the simple cutting and pasting I did for the image in the original post!
Hopefully someone with skills will heed my call ;)

User is offline   Stabs 

just playing around in my paint proggy and got this new dukeplus ingame logo

looks pretty good, suits duke nicely, here it is if you want to use it

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Would be cooler if it used that Daidoh Remix font that 3DR used for the XBLA version of Duke and on the Duke Nukem Trilogy site.

User is offline   Stabs 

think this is it

User is offline   aherin 

Hi there,
K so i spent most of today giving myself a crash course in making muzzle flashes and this is what i came up with

I tried it in game and it seems to look quite good, except for the rotational weirdness that Deeperthought has coded in.
This is really the first thing I've conrtibuted to the HRP so any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. More than anything, I'd like to know if I'm on the right track ;)

oh yeah the smoke around the outside is a bit off i know. I couldnt really see it until after I'd merged the layers. It doesn't seem to show up in game tho.

User is offline   aherin 

k I tried again from scratch

User is offline   williamjcm 

I liked the new hub map in dp 2.03 and the "under construction" tiles.

Suggestions : A training level and perhaps ironsight for mp5 and pistols (ironsight is a feature i've found in games like Vietcong and Smod (Smod is a HL² mod)). If you're ironsighting you gain accuracy.

This post has been edited by williamjcm: 06 July 2009 - 03:16 AM

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

nice font indeed
Posted Image

User is offline   supergoofy 

now you are talking

Roma Loom, you did a very good job

it looks great

• Loomsday Device

actually I was looking for some dukeish font a long time ago, and now I've downloaded it thanks to this thread \o/

User is offline   XThX2 

Where did you download that from?

This post has been edited by XThX2: 06 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

• Loomsday Device

here

User is offline   atlas 

don't get me wrong here, i love duke plus - but one of the things i wish is it was a little more transparent for hardcore 8-bitters. what i mean is, i wish the was a higher level of selectivity as to whats changed. i would rather have the new features the duke plus provides without any new artwork or sound changes.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, I ended up using Daidoh in EDuke32 2.0 and in the header on eduke32.com as well. It's a cool font.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRoma Loom, on Jul 6 2009, 08:46 AM, said:

Thank you Roma (and DanM).

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options