Duke4.net Forums: Duke Plus - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Still can't get Duke Plus to work with the HRP without overwriting the entire directory and hacking together the DEFs myself.

User is offline   Alexraptor 

Feedback: A way to get the default orange/red enemy lasers instead of the new white/yellow
Bit of a personal preference.

User is offline   Spiker 

Use software mode :P

View PostSpiker, on May 15 2009, 08:26 PM, said:

Use software mode :P

I play using the HRP....

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAlexraptor, on May 15 2009, 11:20 AM, said:

Feedback: A way to get the default orange/red enemy lasers instead of the new white/yellow
Bit of a personal preference.

I'm going to have to do something about that. In polymer, they give off red light, and it doesn't go with the white/yellow. So I'll either have to make the laser appearance adjustable, or I'll have to change my replacement graphic to match the original color.

In the mean time, here is what you can do. Open up DUKEPLUS.CON in a text editor. Find this:

case FIRELASER

action FIRELASERACTION

and change it to this:

case FIRELASER

// action FIRELASERACTION

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 15 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Cheers, that did the trick. :P

User is offline   Moggimus 

Thanks, can you also post how to set the original FIRELASER sound back as well?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postmoggimus, on May 15 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

Thanks, can you also post how to set the original FIRELASER sound back as well?

There's already a menu option for toggling the DP replacement sounds. But if you just want to reverse that one sound, you'll have to go through the cons and change it in all the places where monsters fire those.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 15 2009, 07:20 PM, said:

There's already a menu option for toggling the DP replacement sounds. But if you just want to reverse that one sound, you'll have to go through the cons and change it in all the places where monsters fire those.

Actually changing that option doesn't affect it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postmoggimus, on May 15 2009, 05:17 PM, said:

Actually changing that option doesn't affect it.

Yes it does. Changing "New Sounds" from YES to NO in the effects menu will change the sound back to normal. I just checked in game to make sure. Also there is this code which guarantees that result:

ifvare dpsounds YES sound PRED_ATTACK2 else
sound PRED_ATTACK
shoot FIRELASER

If it's not working for you, then either you edited the CON file or you changed PRED_ATTACK definition so it makes the new sound.

Now please, I have enough trouble with actual bugs, I don't want to waste time looking into stuff that works correctly.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 15 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

I guess I should have been more clear. The sound changes back for enemies that fire it, but not the Lasergun weapon.

User is offline   Flacken.WS 

Sorry if I'm interrupting something important, but why Duke pick and, automatically, select the LASER GUN and DOUBLE BARRELED SHOTGUN, ever with SWITCH WEAPONS ON PICKUP ( in PLAYER MENU ) is OFF ?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFlacken.WS, on May 16 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

Sorry if I'm interrupting something important, but why Duke pick and, automatically, select the LASER GUN and DOUBLE BARRELED SHOTGUN, ever with SWITCH WEAPONS ON PICKUP ( in PLAYER MENU ) is OFF ?

The DB shotgun only gets selected when autoswitch is off if you pick it up while holding a different shotgun.

I coded it that way at the time because they were new weapons and I didn't want people complaining that they didn't know how to select them. The laser gun goes in the same weapon slot as mighty boot (weapon 1). That's not obvious, and if someone picked up the weapon and didn't know better, they might try selecting pistol. But I couldn't make it a subweapon of pistol because I was already using the pistol key as an akimbo toggle. The DB shotgun is a subweapon of shotgun; when you cycle through the weapons it will not show up unless it is your current shotgun (press 3 to toggle them). I know from experience some people would not even know they had the weapon unless I force it into their hands.

So, yeah, technically I should make it switch to those weapons only if switch on pickup is selected, but at least I have managed to avoid complaints (until now) by coding it the way I did.

I'm changing it now, though.

Get the latest code HERE. Replace files inside of the dpcons folder. That will fix the autoswitch thing and has some other undocumented changes (most notably Skycar improvements).

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 16 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Flacken.WS 

I coded it that way at the time because they were new weapons and I didn't want people complaining that they didn't know how to select them. The laser gun goes in the same weapon slot as mighty boot (weapon 1). That's not obvious, and if someone picked up the weapon and didn't know better, they might try selecting pistol. But I couldn't make it a subweapon of pistol because I was already using the pistol key as an akimbo toggle. The DB shotgun is a subweapon of shotgun; when you cycle through the weapons it will not show up unless it is your current shotgun (press 3 to toggle them). I know from experience some people would not even know they had the weapon unless I force it into their hands

Make sense.

I just said that because some situations ( traps, bosses ) need control of weapons.

Example: Battlelords ahead, I'm going to use rocket launcher, walking back ( turned to battlelords ), I touch in liztroop captain corpse and pick the Lasergun. Can you imagine what happen later ?

EDIT: I Test the latest code, LASERGUN work fine. The DBSHOTGUN, when pickup, it uses the original, or CRUISER SHOTGUN with DB functions.
Turn SWITCH WEAPONS ON PICKUP to 'ON' back the Shotguns ( BOTH ) to normal, as select as fire.

This post has been edited by Flacken.WS: 16 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Plagman helped me understand what's going on with getting it to run with the HRP. For reference, to run it properly in Linux with EDuke32 set as global:

cd ~/.eduke32 && eduke32 -game_dir DukePlus

User is offline   theduke 

View PostSweet Potato Vines, on May 9 2009, 01:38 AM, said:

Hey guys, Id really like to try out the mod, but eduke32 won't let me!

I've tried multiple reinstalls and it doesn't seem to work.

The eduke 32 log is attached, it should help.

First it says that the file "dukeplus/dp.cfg" can't be found. Import from "eduke32.cfg"

I click yes, then it says: ERROR found in the file EDUKE.CON. Do you want to use the internal defaults?

I click yes, and then it says ERROR COMPILING Con FILES, and quits.

Help would be appreciated

EDIT: I can't seem to attach the eduke log, so I'll see if I get get it somehow else.

Install the latest high res. which is Duke3D HRP 4.0(32) exe. and make sure Duke3D.GRP is installed and make sure Duke3D plus is checked before installing.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You dont need the High Res pack to play Duke Plus.

User is offline   engineer 

View PostDeeperThought, on May 9 2009, 09:10 PM, said:

Easily done, if I had a flashlight model. Ideally, it would also be nice to have a hud model of Duke's hand holding the flashlight, but I could do with just the flashlight.

You could probably modify the fist used to hit the nuke symbol at the end of each map to hold the flashlight.

User is offline   XenoMatriX 

I have created some new textures for the HRP, duke plus has introduced sound and footstep noises for certain textures, but how do I make these work with my new textures? for example if I create a metal texture how do I tell the game to make metal foot step noises when walked over or when shot at?

any help would be appreciated.

Great mod by the way

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostXenoMatriX, on May 23 2009, 01:10 AM, said:

I have created some new textures for the HRP, duke plus has introduced sound and footstep noises for certain textures, but how do I make these work with my new textures? for example if I create a metal texture how do I tell the game to make metal foot step noises when walked over or when shot at?

any help would be appreciated.

Great mod by the way

There isn't any nice, user friendly way of doing it. It involves finding the right place in the code and inserting your tile numbers into a list. You can open up USERPLUS.CON in a text editor and find "state CHECKSTEPS", which is about halfway through the file. That will bring you to this neighborhood:

// 0 DEFAULT
// 1 WOOD
// 2 TIN
// 3 GRATE
// 4 GRASS
// 5 TILE
// 6 CARPET
// 7 CONCRETE
// 8 SNOW
// 9 WATER
// 10 ELECTRONIC
// 11 ORGANIC

gamevar STEPSOUNDFX 0 1
gamevar FLOORTEX 0 1
gamevar FOOTSTEPCOUNT 0 1

state CHECKSTEPS

// ifvarg underwater 0 { setvar STEPSOUNDFX 9 break }

setvar STEPSOUNDFX 0

switch FLOORTEX

case 0 setvar STEPSOUNDFX 0 break

case 70 case 370 case 735 case 745 case 749 case 821 case 822 case 879 case 880 case 884
case 1188 case 1200 case 1201 case 4110 case 4111 case 4303 case 4428 case 1170
// DC steps
case 3684 case 3685 case 3691

setvar STEPSOUNDFX 1 break

In this badly formatted code, notice the commented list of surface types (type 1 is wood, 2 is metal, etc.) Following that is a big switch statement that groups tile numbers into the different types. The last line in the code above "setvar STEPSOUNDFX 1 break" is grouping the cases above it into the wood category. Below that, you will see another (much larger) group of cases followed by "setvar STEPSOUNDFX 2 break", which are the metal tiles. The cases commented as "DC steps" are tiles from the Duke it out in DC add-on. You can remove those cases if they conflict with your tile number (they are in the tiles014 range IIRC).

So what you would do is add new cases to the list with your tile numbers, in the section corresponding to the right tile type. This controls not just stepping sounds, but also what happens when you shoot the tile.

User is offline   XenoMatriX 

This has been a great help thankyou.

This post has been edited by XenoMatriX: 24 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I was just watching some Duke Plus videos and I'm really impressed with the physics. Throwing a case of beer at the window and breaking it is awesome. Throwing balls out of a pool table by shooting it is real cool. Kicking an enemy FEAR-style and watching them fall back is awesome.

The next Polymer trailer should be done using Duke Plus. It's hands down the best EDuke32 mod I've ever seen.

User is offline   supergoofy 

There is also another bug with the red stripper (E1L2):

If you first freeze her and after she is defrosted, you try to shrink her she dies

You can freeze and shrink the other strippers as many times as you want

This is only SD_Duke and DukePlus bug and doesn't happen when you play with the HRP only.

The red stripper is located on the left when you enter the room with strippers (after you open the lock with the red keycard)

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 30 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostYatta, on May 28 2009, 11:46 PM, said:

I was just watching some Duke Plus videos and I'm really impressed with the physics. Throwing a case of beer at the window and breaking it is awesome. Throwing balls out of a pool table by shooting it is real cool. Kicking an enemy FEAR-style and watching them fall back is awesome.

The next Polymer trailer should be done using Duke Plus. It's hands down the best EDuke32 mod I've ever seen.

Thanks! Let me know when you plan on making another polymer trailer so I can do some bug exterminating first.

@supergoofy: Are you saying that the bug only happens with red strippers? How strange.

User is offline   supergoofy 

View PostDeeperThought, on May 31 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

Thanks! Let me know when you plan on making another polymer trailer so I can do some bug exterminating first.

@supergoofy: Are you saying that the bug only happens with red strippers? How strange.

yes it happens with the red strippers (1313). It's very strange and I have made many tests to confirm it. Please check it the bug is real and it happens even if you don't use HRP with DUKEPLUS.

SD_Duke has the same problem

[edit]

the bug it doesn't happen with the original game either if you use HRP or not
the bug happens only with DukePlus even if you don't use HRP.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 31 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostDeeperThought, on May 31 2009, 01:14 AM, said:

You're welcome but I was just being honest. :)

The next Polymer trailer will be done when at least 25% of the levels are light mapped, so none of the footage will have to yield complaints from uninformed people saying "it's too dark." :D

I hope to use Duke Plus extensively in the next trailer.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

Just a small note. I think the term light mapped might be a bit misleading as it implies the game uses light maps which it does not.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Sorry, I meant ambient lighting. I picked up that former term from here.

Some advices for the next version :)
- It's possible to make the Slimer Egg gibs & blood green and not red as they currently are ?
- It's possible to avoid that flames spawn on water surfaces and underwater areas ?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Jun 7 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

Some advices for the next version :)
- It's possible to make the Slimer Egg gibs & blood green and not red as they currently are ?
- It's possible to avoid that flames spawn on water surfaces and underwater areas ?

Those two fixes are now included in these CONs:

http://deeperthought...m/dp/dpcons.rar

No more underwater fires spawning due to RPGs on enemies, and egg gore is green (as long as the egg was pal 0). For some reason it was tough to get the slimer fix to work. I tried changing the color of the gore when it spawned (in EVENT_EGS) but that did not work, so I had to change it elsewhere with an ugly kludge. And it reminded me of why I don't enjoy working on Duke Plus these days. I'm tired of all the workarounds and nasty bugs that crop up. Partly it is due to hardcoded stuff, and partly it is due to having a zillion optional features that all have to work together in any random combination. Coding a TC like WGR2 seems trouble free by comparison.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options