Duke4.net Forums: Duke Plus - Duke4.net Forums

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is offline   necroslut 

For me it must have been some junk files in the DP directory, after I deleted it and did a clean install of DP it works again (which I of course should have tried before posting...), maybe it was the def file, I don't know.

View Postmoggimus, on May 10 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

Is the computer turned on?

Bah, of course thats it!

Ok, actually, I'm pretty sure I don't have any updated version of Duke. are you talking about version 1.4 for eduke or for Duke Nukem itself?, because I ran the eduke that came in the DukePlus.zip.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

The difference between 1.3D and 1.4/5 is in the group file.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postnecroslut, on May 11 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

For me it must have been some junk files in the DP directory, after I deleted it and did a clean install of DP it works again (which I of course should have tried before posting...), maybe it was the def file, I don't know.

This is why tech support people often recommend doing clean installs. It usually fixes the problem and it's easier than figuring out what it is.

In this case, it only takes a minute. Just extract dukeplus.rar into an empty folder, add a copy of duke3d.grp, and you are good to go. I would recommend this to anyone who is having inexplicable problems before posting.

How's the DukePlus Community Build Project coming along?

This post has been edited by KillerBudgie: 11 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostKillerBudgie, on May 11 2009, 09:24 AM, said:

How's the DukePlus Community Build Project coming along?

That map is nearing completion. DPCBP and a new map by Mia Max will both be included in the next update. There is no release date but I am tentatively predicting it will be around June 1st.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

DPCBP is amazing, thanks to its selling point, the DukePlus skycar.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 11 2009, 07:20 PM, said:

Just extract dukeplus.rar into an empty folder, add a copy of duke3d.grp, and you are good to go. I would recommend this to anyone who is having inexplicable problems before posting.

Don't forget Duke3d and Eduke32 config files.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on May 11 2009, 10:08 AM, said:

Don't forget Duke3d and Eduke32 config files.

I didn't forget, I purposefully omitted them. If someone is having an unexplained problem, the config files might have something to do with it. For example, a bad Mod Dir setting can make it impossible to save games.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 11 2009, 05:45 PM, said:

That map is nearing completion. DPCBP and a new map by Mia Max will both be included in the next update. There is no release date but I am tentatively predicting it will be around June 1st.

The 'Haunted Castle' map and the DPCBP will probably be the biggest f*** off maps everyone will be playing once the next update is released. I can't wait to play them myself.

This post has been edited by KillerBudgie: 11 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Congrats on all of your progress on this project DT.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Is the DPCBP the same map that I had also worked on, or is it a new one now?

View PostAlan, on May 11 2009, 02:27 AM, said:

Don't see any generated, no.

It does fine when run normal.

Perhaps, since I'm running EDuke32 as a global command.

The log is output in the current working directory, usually one's home directory.

I've found that -game_dir only works with absolute paths, and that DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES.zip needs to be extracted in order to work. Also, when EDuke32 starts up, make a note of the addsearchpath statements in the messages window. Only files in those paths will be usable, and the DukePlus folder needs to be one of them.

This post has been edited by Dr. Kylstein: 11 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDr. Kylstein, on May 11 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

The log is output in the current working directory, usually one's home directory.

I've found that -game_dir only works with absolute paths, and that DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES.zip needs to be extracted in order to work. Also, when EDuke32 starts up, make a note of the addsearchpath statements in the messages window. Only files in those paths will be usable, and if the DukePlus folder needs to be one of them.

Alan was talking about getting the HRP to work with DP, he wasn't having any problem with DP itself AFAIK. But thanks for the information. I didn't realize that the resources were not loading in linux because of the zip. The only reason I started zipping them was for the HRP uninstaller, but now I'm thinking it isn't worth it.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 11 2009, 06:40 PM, said:

I didn't realize that the resources were not loading in linux because of the zip. The only reason I started zipping them was for the HRP uninstaller, but now I'm thinking it isn't worth it.

I have no idea how that works. I thought EDuke32 only loaded archives that it is instructed to load, which is what happens on my system.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDr. Kylstein, on May 11 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

I have no idea how that works. I thought EDuke32 only loaded archives that it is instructed to load, which is what happens on my system.

It also automatically loads archives that are inside the selected game directory. At least that's how it works for me and others who aren't using linux.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostDr. Kylstein, on May 12 2009, 12:34 AM, said:

I've found that -game_dir only works with absolute paths, and that DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES.zip needs to be extracted in order to work.

Why would you have to extract it? It loads it fine if it's in the specified game_dir. What does your log say about it?

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View PostDr. Kylstein, on May 11 2009, 06:34 PM, said:

Thanks! I was expecting it to show up in the ~/.eduke32 folder.

At any rate...

EDuke32 1.5.0devel 20090131
Application parameters: -game_dir DukePlus -forcegl 
addsearchpath(): Added /home/alan/
addsearchpath(): Added /home/alan/.eduke32/
Initializing SDL system interface (compiled against SDL version 1.2.12, found version 1.2.12)
Loading libGL.so.1
Loading libGLU.so.1
Using "x11" video driver
Using config file 'eduke32.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Using group file 'duke3d.grp' as main group file.
Using group file 'autoload/duke3d.grp/duke3d_hrp.zip'.
Using group file 'autoload/duke3d.grp/eduke32_mus.zip'.
Using group file 'autoload/duke3d.grp/maphacks.zip'.
Compiling: EDUKE.CON (27 bytes)
Including: dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON (552873 bytes)
Using DEF file: dukeplus.def.
Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote eduke32_binds.cfg
Using config file 'DukePlus/dp.cfg'.
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/DEFSPLUS.CON (39370 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/USERPLUS.CON (53154 bytes)
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/LIGHTS.CON (21535 bytes)
DukePlus/dpcons/LIGHTS.CON: In actor `SECTOR_CONTROLLER':
DukePlus/dpcons/LIGHTS.CON:405: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
DukePlus/dpcons/LIGHTS.CON:405: warning: empty `else' branch
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/HUDPLUS.CON (60751 bytes)
Resizing code buffer to 32768*4 bytes
Including: DukePlus/dpcons/PLAYERPLUS.CON (106730 bytes)
Resizing code buffer to 65536*4 bytes
Resizing code buffer to 131072*4 bytes
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON: In event `EVENT_PROCESSINPUT':
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON:25538: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
dpcons/DUKEPLUS.CON:25546: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
Found 4 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 102120*4 bytes
Script compiled in 172ms
Compiled code size: 102112*4 bytes, version 1.4+
Pointer bitmap size: 12765 bytes
2778/11264 labels, 642/2048 variables
287/16384 quotes, 46 quote redefinitions
33/88 event definitions, 388 defined actors
Initialized 32.0M cache
RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found
Initializing OSD...
0 joystick(s) found
Setting video mode 800x600 (32-bpp windowed)
OpenGL Information:
 Version:  2.1.8087 Release
 Vendor:   ATI Technologies Inc.
 Renderer: ATI Radeon X1200 Series
Cache contains 0 bytes of garbage data
Initializing music...
Initializing sound...
Initializing MultiVoc... 
  - 32 voices, 512 byte mixing buffers
Executing "DukePlus/dp_binds.cfg"
UDP net deinitialized successfully.

Uninitializing MultiVoc...
Wrote DukePlus/dp.cfg
Wrote DukePlus/dp_binds.cfg

• Duke Plus Developer

What happens if you comment out the first line of DUKEPLUS.CON (the one that says setdefname dukeplus.def)? This will prevent the DukePlus models and textures from loading, but I'm wondering if the HRP stuff will load instead (basically, I'm wondering if the include duke3d.def line in dukeplus.def is not working for you because of a path issue).

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 12 May 2009 - 06:16 AM

User is offline   Alexraptor 

Hey newly registered here. ;)

Dukeplus is a nice addon(allthough found the logo on the main menu standing out a bit too much, maybe make it match the menu fonts?)
Two things which i have noticed in particular.
There seems to be a bug when just using one pistol and the "DNSTUFF" cheat, it will either start firing slowly and can't be reloaded, or it will fire without ever being reloaded.
The second is the hi-res blood, for me it looks more like splatters of dark liquid than blood.

Otherwise a pretty nice mod ;)

User is offline   Hail_Duke 

Hey DT, just dropping by to say I really like the latest Duke Plus. I don't know what has changed since 1.99, since I didn't read the changelogs, but somehow the experience just feels a lot smoother and fun. Maybe it's because of enhanced AI. Maybe it's because double enemies = double the fun. Or maybe it's all in my head.

By the way, I've asked this before on the 3dr forums before:

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.p...5831#post835831

Has this been this looked into? I haven't played it long enough (or figured much use of the MP5 while I'm on sloped/stair areas) to encounter this yet, but I'm curious if it is fixed or anything like that

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View PostDeeperThought, on May 12 2009, 10:15 AM, said:

What happens if you comment out the first line of DUKEPLUS.CON (the one that says setdefname dukeplus.def)? This will prevent the DukePlus models and textures from loading, but I'm wondering if the HRP stuff will load instead (basically, I'm wondering if the include duke3d.def line in dukeplus.def is not working for you because of a path issue).

Yeah, the HRP works now. What's needed to make both work?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAlan, on May 12 2009, 09:58 AM, said:

Yeah, the HRP works now. What's needed to make both work?

At least now we know the general cause: the "include duke3d.def" line at the top of dukeplus.def is failing to include the duke3d.def inside of duke3d_hrp.zip.

One explanation is that you have a different file named "duke3d.def" loose in your Duke directory, and that file is not including what the HRP one includes. If so, delete it.

The only other explanation I can think of is that it is not finding the duke3d.def that is inside your duke3d_hrp.zip. I don't know why that would be, but I suppose you could try copying the duke3d.def from the HRP into the root level of your Duke folder.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I think that you include duke3d.def in a way that it looks in the DukePlus folder for the file and doesn't know to check /autoload/Duke3D.grp/duke3d_hrp.zip because it's not explicitly stated. I did try setting that include line to include ../autoload/Duke3D.grp/duke3d_hrp/duke3d.def but that also didn't work.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAlan, on May 12 2009, 12:35 PM, said:

I think that you include duke3d.def in a way that it looks in the DukePlus folder for the file and doesn't know to check /autoload/Duke3D.grp/duke3d_hrp.zip because it's not explicitly stated. I did try setting that include line to include ../autoload/Duke3D.grp/duke3d_hrp/duke3d.def but that also didn't work.

It doesn't need to be explicitly stated. The autoload folder is among those that it is supposed to look in. It should also be looking at the root level and in the selected game directory. This is the way it works for everyone else. I don't have duke3d.def in my DukePlus folder or at the root. The only copy I have is in the HRP inside the autoload folder, and it works. It works for most everyone else, too. Try this:

include autoload/duke3d.def

EDIT: Are you absolutely sure that you don't have a duke3d.def lying around somewhere?

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 12 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Nope, the only duke3d.def is in /autoload/Duke3D.grp/duke3d_hrp.zip... Tried putting those files in /autoload/ and it won't run the HRP even when run normally.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAlan, on May 12 2009, 03:08 PM, said:

Nope, the only duke3d.def is in /autoload/Duke3D.grp/duke3d_hrp.zip... Tried putting those files in /autoload/ and it won't run the HRP even when run normally.

That's insane. Well, I guess your only option is to do it the old-fashioned way, like in the days before the autoload folder. Place duke3d_hrp.zip at the root level, and add
-gduke3d_hrp.zip to the command line of the dukeplus.bat

Hmmm apparently the hitboxes have been reduced, thanks Deeperthought. However, corpses are still a quirky annoyance, like in Episode 2 Level 4, in the 2nd or 3rd room filled with several Enforcers. You have to go down the moving pillar things that are generating electricity fields, crouch and shoot a switch to open a door. Problem is, there was an enforcer blocking the switch, so I killed him, and now his corpse his blocking the switch. I don't have anymore explosives with me unfortunately, so I had to cheat in order to blow up his body to hit the switch.

Just thought I'd let you know.

This post has been edited by Hail_Duke: 13 May 2009 - 01:21 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHail_Duke, on May 13 2009, 02:13 AM, said:

Hmmm apparently the hitboxes have been reduced, thanks Deeperthought. However, corpses are still a quirky annoyance, like in Episode 2 Level 4, in the 2nd or 3rd room filled with several Enforcers. You have to go down the moving pillar things that are generating electricity fields, crouch and shoot a switch to open a door. Problem is, there was an enforcer blocking the switch, so I killed him, and now his corpse his blocking the switch. I don't have anymore explosives with me unfortunately, so I had to cheat in order to blow up his body to hit the switch.

Just thought I'd let you know.

I could make it an option, but I hate adding more stuff to the menu and I would rather make the feature work flawlessly so it doesn't have to be optional.

I could make the bodies stop absorbing shots after a certain number of hits. Trouble is, people won't know that and then they'll report it as a bug when it happens and will still get stuck in situations like your because they won't know about the hit limit (same problems if I make the bodies jib after a certain number of shots).

I wish I could make the bullets hit the bodies and still pass through them, but I don't think that is currently possible.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 13 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

Maybe you could allow the bodies to be kicked out of the way?

This post has been edited by Dr. Kylstein: 13 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

I see what you mean. Yeah it's definitely tricky to handle, when you put it that way. What about having bullets pass through bodies, but not projectiles like rockets?

Maybe you could allow the bodies to be kicked out of the way?

Problem is, sometimes you just need to fire at something, but the corpse itself, which is some distance away, presents itself as an obstacle

This post has been edited by Hail_Duke: 13 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options