• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Dzierzan 

@NightFright

Why did you remove the maphack I created for the Duf Beer?

Without it looks like it:

Posted Image

I did angoff = 0 by purpose because that way the airship will be positioned parallel to the stadion. Unless you and people think it's better as seen above.

Anyway, here's another voxel:

Some kind of air vent on ships I guess (only found in E4L9)

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 06 December 2020 - 07:27 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Angoff 0 shouldn't do anything, technically. I didn't expect it to make any difference. I can bring it back. In this case I don't believe it matters much, though.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 December 2020 - 08:45 AM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

View PostNightFright, on 06 December 2020 - 04:54 AM, said:

Sprite 89 angoff 512
That's the entry that fixes that toilet. I can only think of two reasons why it wouldn't work: Either the maphack file isn't loaded (but then there are also other mistakes), or another file or entry counteracts the fix (e.g. sprite 89 angoff -512).

So it appears the maphack file for that particular level isn't loaded when I play through the episode normally or when I launch the episode and then skip to Freeway. When I use 'map e3l11' in the main menu, the maphack loads fine.

View Postjkas789, on 06 December 2020 - 05:22 AM, said:

Are you sure you are including the maphacks.def file in Duke3d.def?

• The Truth is in here

Our maphacks cover 1.3D, Atomic and World Tour. Atomic also covers Plutonium Pak, so basically there are no other versions. Unless you use an edited version of the map, the hacks should load.

Another voxel:

Posted Image

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNightFright, on 03 December 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

Zeppelin added on Github.

Its a Blimp. Zeppelins are rigid air frames.

• The Truth is in here

Tiles #976 and #4386 added on Github.

Project is now also on ModDB. If you have a nice preview image for me to replace the rather bland one I am using now, feel free to share it here. Will gladly use it if it's showing some nice voxels.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 December 2020 - 01:40 AM

As addon? IMO it's more suitable for MOD rang. Besides it's harder to update that because everytime you wanna make a new version, the previous one will visable as seperate addon, so you'd have to remove it. You don't have that problem with MOD. Obviously you can keep old version and most of people I noticed just change their name to "Outdated" or "Obselete".

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 07 December 2020 - 04:15 AM

• The Truth is in here

Ok, but then I actually need *FIVE* good screenshots before I can publish it... ;)

There's no rush for that. Now, what kind of pictures do you want?

• The Truth is in here

Anything showing a sufficient amount of voxels. Items, pickups, props... It doesn't matter. Can be from any level, even Dukematch.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostNightFright, on 07 December 2020 - 04:24 AM, said:

Anything showing a sufficient amount of voxels. Items, pickups, props... It doesn't matter. Can be from any level, even Dukematch.

Some screenshots I took that have no artistic sense whatsoever but could be useful.

Also while exploring E1L2 for photogenic places I came across some maphack errors.

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Alright, I figured it out. The maphacks are indeed not loaded properly in World Tour and I only noticed it in Freeway, because that's one of the few maps in the 3rd episode that doesn't have a specific maphack for the World Tour version.

When checking the '3drealms_mhk.def' file and scrolling down to the World Tour section, you can see links to maphacks that don't exist, for example "maphacks/3drealms/E1L2_polymost.mhk". There are no '_polymost' mhk-files. Simply deleting '_polymost' from every link fixes it and the maphacks load fine.

• The Truth is in here

Geez. That shouldn't be there at all. The Polymost maphacks are only for the HRP. Will fix that ASAP.

If anyone else is using WT and wants to report maphack problems: Please hold your horses until this is fixed.

*Update #1*
Done. Please get latest Github release before testing again. However, I think it's actually better to rather restore the maphacks I did not include. Atomic definitions include light definitions for Polymer. WT doesn't need those since the maps have their own lights already implemented. I will clone the Atomic maphacks and remove light defs for WT so no recent adjustments are lost.

*Update #2*
Fixed for good now. World Tour support restored in all its glory.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 December 2020 - 01:28 PM

User is offline   Borion 

Model done, lighting done :) Tomorrow I will rotate & pitch dish, add some last touches and post it.

I had to take some creative liberties. Originally this object is based on antennas from Very Large Array, place in New Mexico (detective work done by Jimmy). I think graphic designer that worked on this sprite tried to clean intricate structure of support beams & catwalks to make it fit low resolution. Otherwise it would be a pixel pulp. You can especially see his work on dish support beams. So I had to change some things while making it a 3D object, but tried to keep all it in spirit of real world antenna+original sprite.

Photos of antennas from V.L.A. for comparison:
Posted Image

Here current state of antena dish:
Posted Image

EDIT: just to make it clear, graphic in left upper corner of preview is original sprite

This post has been edited by Borion: 07 December 2020 - 03:09 PM

Well done sir! I'd probably shit my bricks if I tried to make it myself.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostDzierzan, on 08 December 2020 - 12:17 AM, said:

Well done sir! I'd probably shit my bricks if I tried to make it myself.

Thats a pitty that we don't make mod for Mindcraft, these would come in handy :P Thanks for kind words, man!

About antenna, still have some work on correcting stuff that were f.. up by rotating parts of model. Again I need to compromise on few things :( Those steel beams under dish are thin & irregular, so are very sensitive to rotation even on "friendly" angles like 45 or 30 degrees. You rotate stuff on two axis and part of model starts to be heavly distorted, you get holes, colour mismatches...who cares if angles are perfect if model looks like shit, right? I might have to settle on pitching dish but don't rotate it 30 degrees on Z angle like sprite suggest. So we can rotate it later with maphacks. Still one mistake remains - I made basis as on sprite, but top part has neutral angle, damn.

This post has been edited by Borion: 08 December 2020 - 11:20 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Damn! Great work!

User is offline   Borion 

Thanks Jim!

There is one technical issue left. In game there are little holes(?) or broken geometry (flipped normals?) near dish edge. In SLAB6 all is correct, so something goes bad when game converts KVX files to meshes (theory). Only solution that comes to my mind, is manually smoothing surface of dish, so mesh is simpler and less likely to f...k up.
Posted Image

EDIT: this holes are not going through the whole model. They only appear on bottom part of dish, letting you see upper part of dish from the inside.
EDIT2: "Manualy smoothing surface" - of course I mean voxel model

This post has been edited by Borion: 09 December 2020 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostBorion, on 09 December 2020 - 08:32 AM, said:

There is one technical issue left. In game there are little holes(?) or broken geometry (flipped normals?) near dish edge. In SLAB6 all is correct, so something goes bad when game converts KVX files to meshes (theory). Only solution that comes to my mind, is manually smoothing surface of dish, so mesh is simpler and less likely to f...k up.

How many voxels thick is the dish there. If its only one that may be the issue.

View PostBorion, on 09 December 2020 - 08:32 AM, said:

Thanks Jim!

Posted Image

EDIT: this holes are not going through the whole model. They only appear on bottom part of dish, letting you see upper part of dish from the inside.
EDIT2: "Manualy smoothing surface" - of course I mean voxel model

If the classic mode looks well, the culprit might be the mesh conversion or Z-buffering issues. I guess the dish is too thin causing the back voxels to pop out. If the glitch depends on sprite's scale or distance, that's the case.
Otherwise this looks magnificent, I love the attention to detail and overall style coherence. Can't imagine the amount of effort it takes to identify the exact source of every game object and accurately reproduce each sprite in 3D by hand. You guys are the best! B)

One question: does the devastator ammo lack the mips for a reason, or that was done by mistake and should be corrected?

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 09 December 2020 - 08:27 PM

So... NightFright.

You though you were being sneaky and we would not notice that you posted the Duke Nukem 3D Voxel Pack on Moddb huh? <_<

Well I noticed. ;)

Congrats on the Moddb release. Hope it gets a lot of attention and downloads! All you guys deserve it for the awesome work.

• The Truth is in here

I wasn't sneaky. It was announced in this very thread, on Dec 7.

(On a side note: The Authentic Quake model project was placed on ModDB on the same day.)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 December 2020 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Hmm..No downloads on moddb yet. Are people grabbing it from the forum here maybe?

• The Truth is in here

Maybe they go to Github, thinking they get a newer version there.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNightFright, on 14 December 2020 - 08:14 AM, said:

(On a side note: The Authentic Quake model project was placed on ModDB on the same day.)

Off-topic but I'm a huge fan of that project

User is offline   Borion 

Dish antena (0479) is finished. Now awaits NightFrights blessing.
Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Wow, 437 KB... easily the biggest voxel in the pack so far, and quite likely the most complex one, too! This is incredibly accurate and ofc there can be no doubt this needs to go into the repository right away. Which has already happened.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 December 2020 - 06:33 AM

Can't wait to see it in game!

Praise Borion, the high lord of voxel art!

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options