• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostLeoD, on 06 September 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

Speaking of maphacks: WorldTour maphacks overhaul is complete since May, you may want to update the Voxel Pack versions. :(

Done.

User is offline   spacekebab 

I mean, vox enemies don't look too bad. I redid some hrp to voxel conversions a while back at .6 scale for myself and it came out okay after a lot of editing. A faithful pure voxel representation would be... amazing. Might look bulky at 1:1 and it would be a pain to to do all... those... frames, but I don't see any reason not to try.

• The Truth is in here

Gonna be a lot of work though since enemies have a lot more frames than static props.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Gotta be honest, i'm not really a fan of going voxel with the enemies. Maybe as a separate pack, but I think it just goes beyond the scope and of this pack. Keeping it to items/world objects seems the most reasonable to me.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View Postspacekebab, on 10 September 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

I mean, vox enemies don't look too bad. I redid some hrp to voxel conversions a while back at .6 scale for myself and it came out okay after a lot of editing. A faithful pure voxel representation would be... amazing. Might look bulky at 1:1 and it would be a pain to to do all... those... frames, but I don't see any reason not to try.

I see someone ganked my weapon CON code (from StrikerDM) without permission there. Is that Brutal Duke I'm looking at?

EDIT: Anyway, I fixed the "We-stor your crap" sign pivots, because I'm getting ready for another release of my mod: https://drive.google...MTnWHH3Q-lCLNEK

This post has been edited by Striker: 11 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

• The Truth is in here

Outstanding. Will put on GitHub, if you don't mind.

• Auramancer

View PostNightFright, on 11 September 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

Outstanding. Will put on GitHub, if you don't mind.

That's totally fine.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Okay I forgot to post this up before I went out of town. Sorry guys. Anyone is free to use this. It's not perfect, but hopefully it helps.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Jim Rockford: 11 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

• The Truth is in here

Voxel Pack v1.3 pre2 is out. It's basically a collection of fixes gathered in the last few days (plus the new shopping cart), showing that this "public beta" stage is paying off. Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback that helps polishing this project.

We will still keep gathering feedback, hoping to fix anything that may still look odd and maybe add a couple of more voxels before we wrap it up.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 September 2019 - 11:20 PM

User is offline   mjr4077au 

View PostNightFright, on 12 September 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

Voxel Pack v1.3 pre2 is out. It's basically a collection of fixes gathered in the last few days (plus the new shopping cart), showing that this "public beta" stage is paying off. Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback that helps polishing this project.

We will still keep gathering feedback, hoping to fix anything that may still look odd and maybe add a couple of more voxels before we wrap it up.

Apologies profusely if this has been covered in other forum posts, but is there likely to be voxels for Duke Caribbean? I thought perhaps they were included in the download based on seeing maphacks for Caribbean :(

• The Truth is in here

It's possible under two conditions:
- Someone actually makes the voxels (doh)
- There is a way to load Duke3D and Caribbean voxels at the same time w/o them interfering with each other. Right now I think the only way it can be done is with a separate def (duke3d_3.def), but I'd prefer to have an ifcrc parameter for voxels, just like for tilefromtextures.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 September 2019 - 12:37 AM

View PostNightFright, on 22 September 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

- There is a way to load Duke3D and Caribbean voxels at the same time w/o them interfering with each other. Right now I think the only way it can be done is with a separate def (duke3d_3.def), but I'd prefer to have an ifcrc parameter for voxels, just like for tilefromtextures.

I know of a potential way in which this can be done. It would require to forego the autoload folder for a manual install of the voxels, however. When I downloaded the classic Skyboxes pack for Duke, I ran into the issue that I needed the game to load separate instances of duke3d.def, one for the main game, another for Caribbean, DC, and NW. The main game and each expansion had to have a different duke3d.def to load the proper skyboxes and not interfere with each other. In order to achieve this, what I did was create a folder for the main game and each expansion inside the folder where EDuke32 was installed. Inside each folder I placed a different duke3d.def with the parameters to load the proper skyboxes, as well as all the files I needed to get them to work, plus voxels and other mods I wanted to run as well. Then, I created shortcuts for Duke3D, DC, Caribbean and NW. After that I added the following command line parameter to them, along with the folder I wanted EDuke32 to load: -game_dir (duke3d, dukedc, dukecaribbean, dukenw). This would automatically select the proper folder for each expansion, loading separate instances of duke3d.def with each. For example, adding the command -game_dir dukedc to the Duke it out in DC shortcut would make EDuke32 load the dukedc folder with the custom duke3d.def file in it, and the proper skyboxes for the aforementioned expansion.

I'm thinking this can be adapted into keeping separate instances of voxels for duke3d and caribbean. In the duke3d folder, you can have the voxels and duke3d.def file that would be used for the main game, dc and nw. In a new folder, titled say... vacation, you can add the voxels for Duke Caribbean and the additional duke3d.def file. Then, you run EDuke32 and manually select the folder 'vacation' before launching the expansion or, alternatively, create a shortcut and add the -game_dir vacation to it to have it run automatically for you. In theory, if this worked with different skyboxes for each expansion, it should work with loading different voxels for the main game and caribbean. For the main game and the other expansions, you select the folder duke3d.

Anyway I apologize if my way seems way too rudimentary, but my knowledge of these things comes down to just poking around files and whatever info I can find in DuckDuckGo. :(

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 22 September 2019 - 06:52 AM

User is offline   Stripper 

View PostPutrid Pete, on 22 September 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

I know of a potential way in which this can be done. It would require to forego the autoload folder for a manual install of the voxels, however. When I downloaded the classic Skyboxes pack for Duke, I ran into the issue that I needed the game to load separate instances of duke3d.def, one for the main game, another for Caribbean, DC, and NW. The main game and each expansion had to have a different duke3d.def to load the proper skyboxes and not interfere with each other. In order to achieve this, what I did was create a folder for the main game and each expansion inside the folder where EDuke32 was installed. Inside each folder I placed a different duke3d.def with the parameters to load the proper skyboxes, as well as all the files I needed to get them to work, plus voxels and other mods I wanted to run as well. Then, I created shortcuts for Duke3D, DC, Caribbean and NW. After that I added the following command line parameter to them, along with the folder I wanted EDuke32 to load: -game_dir (duke3d, dukedc, dukecaribbean, dukenw). This would automatically select the proper folder for each expansion, loading separate instances of duke3d.def with each. For example, adding the command -game_dir dukedc to the Duke it out in DC shortcut would make EDuke32 load the dukedc folder with the custom duke3d.def file in it, and the proper skyboxes for the aforementioned expansion.

I'm thinking this can be adapted into keeping separate instances of voxels for duke3d and caribbean. In the duke3d folder, you can have the voxels and duke3d.def file that would be used for the main game, dc and nw. In a new folder, titled say... vacation, you can add the voxels for Duke Caribbean and the additional duke3d.def file. Then, you run EDuke32 and manually select the folder 'vacation' before launching the expansion or, alternatively, create a shortcut and add the -game_dir vacation to it to have it run automatically for you. In theory, if this worked with different skyboxes for each expansion, it should work with loading different voxels for the main game and caribbean. For the main game and the other expansions, you select the folder duke3d.

Anyway I apologize if my way seems way too rudimentary, but my knowledge of these things comes down to just poking around files and whatever info I can find in DuckDuckGo. :(

I very nearly did my head in trying to figure out what I could do to fix the skybox issue in caribbean, thank you very much for the breakdown! I hope that your detailed instructions can help others with the same problem.
Also it would be lovely to have widescreen fixed sprites for the water pistol, like the ones for the pistol in the fixpack nightfright distributes. Thinking of doing it myself but the whole folders and .def files situation seems daunting to me.
I wonder if eduke could be updated to have instructions along the lines of what you give included in a readme, or even an option in the launcher? idk

View PostStripper, on 22 September 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I very nearly did my head in trying to figure out what I could do to fix the skybox issue in caribbean, thank you very much for the breakdown! I hope that your detailed instructions can help others with the same problem.
Also it would be lovely to have widescreen fixed sprites for the water pistol, like the ones for the pistol in the fixpack nightfright distributes. Thinking of doing it myself but the whole folders and .def files situation seems daunting to me.
I wonder if eduke could be updated to have instructions along the lines of what you give included in a readme, or even an option in the launcher? idk

You're welcome! I believe you completely, when trying to fix this I browsed the web looking for answers for hours, and ended up pulling an all-nighter trying to crack that one and it was oh so satisfying when it worked! My solution is probably not perfect and there's for sure a better way, but with my limited knowledge of editing duke files it was the best I could do. I just hope what I just shared is helpful for things like a voxel pack for duke caribbean and other things like that.

Edit: BTW, I don't use the classic skybox pack anymore because it introduces a lot of stutter into my game. :( If an updated pack could make its way into a new release, it will make me so happy.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 22 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   mjr4077au 

View PostNightFright, on 22 September 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

It's possible under two conditions:- Someone actually makes the voxels (doh)- There is a way to load Duke3D and Caribbean voxels at the same time w/o them interfering with each other. Right now I think the only way it can be done is with a separate def (duke3d_3.def), but I'd prefer to have an ifcrc parameter for voxels, just like for tilefromtextures.

That's fair enough :(. I hope someone can lay their talents into this excellent expansion as I think the main voxel pack is amazing!

I very nearly did my head in trying to figure out what I could do to fix the skybox issue in caribbean, thank you very much for the breakdown! I hope that your detailed instructions can help others with the same problem.Also it would be lovely to have widescreen fixed sprites for the water pistol, like the ones for the pistol in the fixpack nightfright distributes. Thinking of doing it myself but the whole folders and .def files situation seems daunting to me.I wonder if eduke could be updated to have instructions along the lines of what you give included in a readme, or even an option in the launcher? idk

I do something very similar to this currently, but something using ifcrc as NightFright described could be done, it's definitely a cleaner solution :P

View PostPutrid Pete, on 22 September 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

You're welcome! I believe you completely, when trying to fix this I browsed the web looking for answers for hours, and ended up pulling an all-nighter trying to crack that one and it was oh so satisfying when it worked! My solution is probably not perfect and there's for sure a better way, but with my limited knowledge of editing duke files it was the best I could do. I just hope what I just shared is helpful for things like a voxel pack for duke caribbean and other things like that.Edit: BTW, I don't use the classic skybox pack anymore because it introduces a lot of stutter into my game. :D If an updated pack could make its way into a new release, it will make me so happy.

Do you know what causes this? Seems to only be with the polymost renderer but it is annoying. I've considered lowering the resolution of the PNG files to see if that helps any but love the quality of the pack as it is.

• The Truth is in here

Also it would be lovely to have widescreen fixed sprites for the water pistol, like the ones for the pistol in the fixpack nightfright distributes.

This has just been done in the new v1.3 release which you can get on GitHub. Actually fixes Pistol, Shrinker and Expander in Duke3D and Water Pistol, Super Soak'em and Triple Poison Shooter in Caribbean.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 September 2019 - 12:57 AM

View PostMitch Richters, on 22 September 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

Do you know what causes this? Seems to only be with the polymost renderer but it is annoying. I've considered lowering the resolution of the PNG files to see if that helps any but love the quality of the pack as it is.

Sadly no. I thought about asking about it on the thread, so maybe I'll do that at some point. I think you should go ahead and try lowering the resolutions like you said, just to test if it makes the problem go away or not. If you do, let me know your results.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Overall I'm amazed at the quality of the new voxels, it's truly awesome stuff. One minor nitpick though:
Posted Image
I think the jetpack should look a bit more "metallic" so to speak. The voxel looks great but I think it's clashing with the original sprite a bit.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 September 2019 - 05:10 AM

User is offline   Stripper 

View PostNightFright, on 23 September 2019 - 12:55 AM, said:

This has just been done in the new v1.3 release which you can get on GitHub. Actually fixes Pistol, Shrinker and Expander in Duke3D and Water Pistol, Super Soak'em and Triple Poison Shooter in Caribbean.

Wow! Dang I missed that, thanks! :(

View PostNightFright, on 23 September 2019 - 12:55 AM, said:

Most welcomed fixes for Caribbean, thank you! I hope we can see voxels for this wonderful expansion soon.

So, I made a few voxels for Duke Caribbean to test out if my previously discussed method could work to have different voxels in the main game and the expansion. I'm happy to report that it worked, and I was able to have the voxels for caribbean only show up when playing the expansion.

Here's a link to the pistol voxel in case anybody wants to try it. I wont be sharing the rest because they are absolutely terrible, as it was my first time making an attempt at doing voxels. Pistol is also pretty bad but for testing purposes it'll do, specially because it's one of the first items you see in the first level. Anyway, I only made the pistol, shotgun, and keycard, so it's not like I have much to share regardless.

Remember, in order to have separate voxels you have to create two folders inside the EDuke32 folder, one for Duke3D and another for Caribbean; once you have those, extract the voxel pack provided by NightFright into each folder. Then download my Caribbean pistol voxel and go into the folder for the expansion > voxels > pickups and simply replace 0021_pistol.kvx with the file I provided. Once you start the first level you should come across it right away. Also, remember to select the appropriate folder before launching the expansion under "Custom game content directory".

Anyway, I'm sure that this rudimentary method can be refined by somebody that actually knows what they are doing, unlike myself who just pokes around files and mostly figure out things by inference. Maybe eventually the talented people who made voxels for the main game can tackle the expansion as well, and hopefully we can also have an easier method to separate voxels between the main game and expansion.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 26 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

User is offline   fgsfds 

Isn't it possible to create vacation.grp folder inside autoload folder and put zip there? I remember using this method.

View Postfgsfds, on 27 September 2019 - 12:40 AM, said:

Isn't it possible to create vacation.grp folder inside autoload folder and put zip there? I remember using this method.

This worked for me only if I load the voxel packs (one in the main autoload folder for the regular game and another inside the vacation.grp folder for the expansion) and nothing more. Any other zip file containing another mod would refuse to work. I found a workaround that required me to combine all the mods into one zip package (and also to edit duke3d.def to include all calls to any .def file needed for all the packaged mods to work) and it resolved the issue. By placing the zip file that combines all the mods and voxels for the main game inside the autoload folder, and placing another zip file with the same mods and the voxels intended for the expansion inside the vacation.grp folder for Caribbean, I was able to load everything in separate instances. The only exception was the duke3dfix mod. If I include that in the package it works perfectly for the main game, but gives me an error compiling CON when I try to launch the expansion. Even if I remove the duke3dfix mod from the zip I had inside the vacation.grp folder, if its present in the one in the main autoload folder, it gives me the same error.

For now I'll stick with how I did it originally since its much easier for me to work with unpacked files for editing and such.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 27 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

• The Truth is in here

If you have more than one zipfile in autoload, you need to keep in mind that EDuke32 only loads the LAST version of duke3d.def or eduke.con it is able to find.
This means if you want to run two mods containing duke3d.def for example, you need to see what's inside of those defs and create a third duke3d.def with the code from both mods, zip that and make it sure it loads AFTER the two mods. There's no need to physically merge any mods.

Example: duke3d_fix.zip and duke3d_voxels.zip in autoload
Create a zipfile named e.g. "execute.zip" or "override.zip" (file name doesn't really matter as long as its first letter(s) is/are alphabetically higher than the other mods) with a duke3d.def containing the following code:
include duke3d_fixes.def
include duke3d_maphacks.def
include duke3d_voxels.def

The first line is from duke3d_fixes.zip, the other two are from duke3d_voxels.zip. Put this new file into autoload along with the other mod files. You can do this with as many mods as you wish, just make sure you include the complete duke3d.def/eduke.con code in that "override" zipfile.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 September 2019 - 07:01 AM

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It worked for loading the mods as individual zip files so it's always good to know it's possible to do so. Whether I packaged all the mods into one zip file with a modified duke3d.def or if I did it as you mentioned in your post, I was still getting an error when launching the expansion about compiling con files. What fixed it for me was to get the original game.con file from vacation.grp using SLADE and replacing the provided game.con present in the duke3dfix mod for the zip package I was using for the expansion (that included all other mods and the caribbean voxels as well).

Anyways, now we know of a much easier way of having separate instances for voxels. If anybody decides to make voxels for Caribbean, then they can be provided as an additional file that can be placed under the vacation.grp folder inside the autoload one. With the current voxel zip file placed under autoload, and with a zip for Caribbean voxels under vacation.grp folder, the game would load different voxels for each.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 27 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

• Auramancer

Haven't heard from Borion in a while, wondering if things are alright.

• The Truth is in here

Well, AFAIK the slimer egg is still pending, but otherwise everything we expected is done. He also mentioned a creative break, so he might have finally taken it.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 20 October 2019 - 02:31 AM, said:

Well, AFAIK the slimer egg is still pending, but otherwise everything we expected is done. He also mentioned a creative break, so he might have finally taken it.

Hi fellas!
I'm busy with my private matters for the time being. I'll be back sooner or later :o
Have a good day

• The Truth is in here

You certainly earned it, mate. Take some rest and return when you feel like it.

In the meantime, I asked Hendricks about adding a few voxel functions.

- Rotation toggle: It might be possible to add a def command for this from NBlood. Nothing via menu, though.

- Individual toggles for enemies etc: Not gonna happen (as expected).

- Option to write custom menu with new cvars: Hendricks agrees that something like that is needed, but it can't be rushed with mere hacks.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 October 2019 - 10:44 PM

User is offline   spacekebab 

View PostStriker, on 11 September 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

I see someone ganked my weapon CON code (from StrikerDM) without permission there. Is that Brutal Duke I'm looking at?

That would be me :o
It's for personal use - I cannibalized a lot of code and art from a lot of things

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options