Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I've read there were two Windows desktop themes shipped with the original Atomic Edition, what wallpapers are included with them? Are they available anywhere online?

Also, were ever there any official Duke3D desktop themes downloadable online?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 08 December 2016 - 01:45 AM

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostMrFlibble, on 08 December 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

I've read there were two Windows desktop themes shipped with the original Atomic Edition, what wallpapers are included with them? Are they available anywhere online?

Also, were ever there any official Duke3D desktop themes downloadable online?

Yes there were some wallpapers, along with the gore screensaver and random extra stuff I don't recall. Sadly I lost the disk!

User is offline   Darkus 

I'm lucky that I still own the cd...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also included some icons (some are original game tile that have been edited), and there's also some Duke quotes which apparently have been made specifically for the themes.

Everything is in an auto-extractible winzip archive, but when I click it, I get the following message:
Posted Image

I don't know if I should upload them, I let the experts decide...

This post has been edited by Darkus: 09 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

User is offline   pacman 

im trying to run the 1 level demo from the computergamingworld magazine in dosbox but doesn't work, it crashes... any idea?

https://archive.org/...extra142may1996

i got it from there

View Postpacman, on 15 January 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

im trying to run the 1 level demo from the computergamingworld magazine in dosbox but doesn't work, it crashes... any idea?

https://archive.org/...extra142may1996

i got it from there

It should work fine in DOSBox (assuming you're using that), being based on the shareware v1.1 code.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostMrFlibble, on 16 January 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

It should work fine in DOSBox (assuming you're using that), being based on the shareware v1.1 code.

It doesn't for me. The shareware works, 0.99 also works, this one crashes badly, dosbox collapses :lol:

I think this iso is corrupted, after extracting the duke3d folder, a lot of files are 0 bytes long:

Posted Image

Well then, get it from this CD instead (the file is called dukecgw.zip).

User is offline   pacman 

View PostMrFlibble, on 18 January 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Well then, get it from this CD instead (the file is called dukecgw.zip).

Thanks. I didnt notice anything different, other than the atomic health makes a normal pickup sound, the email from the 3d realms guy in small fonts in the bath is not there, I think there is less duke talk lines, there are no pickup messages, and the mouse aiming is inverted...

I tried the 0.99 beta and it was a mess. There is no mouse aiming and i cant change weapons.

View Postpacman, on 18 January 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

I think there is less duke talk lines, there are no pickup messages, and the mouse aiming is inverted...

I tried the 0.99 beta and it was a mess. There is no mouse aiming and i cant change weapons.

The one-level demo should have the same number of one-liners as v1.1 shareware. Version 1.3D added some new lines, but I can't tell exactly which ones ATM.

The option to invert mouse Y axis isn't present in any of the shareware versions of Duke3D. You can trick the game into doing it by setting Y axis sensitivity to -1 in the v1.3D setup programme, but not in v1.1. Version 1.0 (and anything below, including the leaked beta) doesn't have any mouse aiming at all, and no crosshair too.

On a side note, there is strong evidence that mouse aiming was first introduced based on player feedback from v1.0, as many apparently requested to have mouse controls in Duke like in The Terminator: Future Shock (I have posted some details on this subject here).

Another option to get the inverted mouse Y axis it to use the DOSBox SVN Daum version which allows to invert it from the emulator side.

I don't remember any problems with changing weapons in the beta. Then again, I played it quite a while ago.

Not a miscellaneous fact about Duke 3D itself but rather its legacy: The moving subway trains in Rabid Transit were the inspiration for the drivable rail carts in the original Half-Life. Source:

[Choryoth] I'm gonna ramble on about the Trains for a sec. (it's what i'm working on now, so i'm pretty excited about it)
[Choryoth] The idea came about when I thought back to the subway level in Duke Nukem..
[Choryoth] Nigel, auto: i'll get to that in a sec.
[Choryoth] So anyway, the Duke subway was one of my favorite levels.
[Choryoth] But dangit, I wanted to DRIVE the train!

"Choryoth" is John Guthrie, a level designer who still works at Valve today.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I know this thread has been mainly for DN3D, but I was playing through Time to Kill today, and on the level Miner 69er, there's an annoying platforming section, where if you fail, you fall into the water, and there's an area you swim to where there's a ladder for you to climb and you're able to keep trying to get across. I noticed this under the rock...
Spoiler
WB? Anyone got a clue what this means? I was thinking maybe "Welcome Back" as in they knew 9/10 people would fail at this platforming section.

Seeing this makes me wonder what all is hiding in these console games we don't get to dig deep into like we can with DN3D...

User is offline   Lunick 

The game wasn't published by Warner Brothers and there's no one in the credits with those letters as their initials. It's very odd.

Two thoughts;

1. The texture was meant to be removed or updated. I am thinking of textures such as those with "DELETE ME!" or similar comments shown in the Shadow Warrior Beta. I guess it is entirely possible you're seeing "me!" in reverse and split in two across the different polygons. Any way to pull the texture out of the game? Should be possible to tear it out of RAM in an emulator if nothing else, shouldn't it?

2. The texture isn't supposed to be used that way and denotes some effect in the level. Perhaps something relating to the water used this texture in their editor and it was accidentally pasted to the rock? Perhaps "Water Boundary" or some such. I am thinking of textures like "Mirror" and "No Draw" in Shadow Warrior or "Decoy*" and "Spawn" in Blood.

* I seem to think I posted some of the developer's notes about what Decoy was meant to do at some stage which also highlighted how Blood was influenced by Dark Forces. I did not quote it properly though so I can dig out the DOC again if anyone wants me to?

User is offline   The Nate 

For whatever reason, Eidos decided to use beta images for the box for the Kixx retail version of Duke3D.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: s-l1600.jpg

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Spoiler

There are some rocks near the astronaut in the center of the image that appear in Lunar Apocalypse.

User is offline   Darkus 

More about faces of death...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Its a modern day miracle. Now someone can finally replace those old blocky tiles in the HRP. Are there more where those came from?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostDarkus, on 25 April 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

More about faces of death...

(devheads)

I look forward to seeing this in an SVN update

This post has been edited by Newcomer: 26 April 2017 - 04:17 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNewcomer, on 25 April 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

Shit should be in an HRP SVN update by now.

Nice sense of entitlement.

View PostHendricks266, on 25 April 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Nice sense of entitlement.

Shit, as in the shit, as in the good stuff, as in it's cool. Sorry.

• Weaponized Autism

No, I get that. I'm talking about the "should", as in someone should have done the volunteer artist work in the four hour timespan between the two posts.

View PostHendricks266, on 26 April 2017 - 04:04 AM, said:

No, I get that. I'm talking about the "should", as in someone should have done the volunteer artist work in the four hour timespan between the two posts.

Ok, I edited it. "Could"

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNewcomer, on 26 April 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

Ok, I edited it. "Could"

That actually makes it sound worse, more passive-aggressive. Try "I look forward to seeing this in an SVN update."

User is offline   Mark 

I'm too busy to do these properly but I felt like spending about 10 minutes just for fun using the pics from the earlier post. I used the clone tool to transfer the face from pic to original. Then I used the line tool to make a more defined tan border. Then I used pixelate tool make the face look less like a high def photo which looked out of place against the lo def backround. I hope the rest of the faces can be found so someone can do the entire set at once.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: testpic1.jpg

Frame still low quality and the shirt collar of Lee isn't gray 0/10. Also you didn't fixed the too much water in Mark's Picture (:()

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 26 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

User is offline   Mark 

...and that is why I don't do HRP content. That was only a 10 minute quick test for fun and already the nitpicks start in. :( But honestly, I would have no problem using it as-is for myself. If it was going to be for the HRP, obviously the entire backround would be made from scratch

This post has been edited by Mark.: 26 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostMark., on 25 April 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Are there more where those came from?

Well... No, that's all I could find. Note that the pictures I posted above are resized, the original pictures are in much better quality, and they can be found in the ROTT goodies pack.

From the beta thread:
3D Realms site article

FilePlanet download

Steve looks like Rob Hubbards long-lost brother.

Posted Image

Great find!

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 02 May 2017 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Miscellaneous knowledge, without much importance:

Were there any direct reasons why the 3DRealms devs left the sentry drones out of The Birth episode? They made two "cameo" style appearances, once early in the first level, and later a single one (with S2 skill) in XXX Stacy.

Was it the case that devs simply didn't notice or thought it would be cool to add them as cameos, since they weren't that popular? In my theory the reason is technical. By that time, I had terrible issues on my computer with the drones' sped up humming sound. Sometimes the computer simply crashed as soon as drones appeared. The same problem occured with the intro of The Birth episode, somewhere around the rape moment, also in Caribbean with the modified wind.voc in the last 2 levels... except those crashes were permanent in both cases without exceptions. The drone sound problems appeared randomly instead, so it didn't broke the game. But I remember that others had this issue as well on the AMC board.

In the release of WT, the humming sound was throttled down. Maybe they remembered the problem... anyway, drones became regular again in E5.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 02 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options