Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   CruX 

View PostSebastian, on 30 March 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

Been fooling around with ideas for a new map.

How deliciously Lovecraftian ;)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Looks cool. Hey, if you are going to play around with altered newbeasts, James has an awesome winged newbeast edit in Nuclear Showdown. Maybe there could be several different types of protector drones in the map. You could call it "Altered Beasts". Just a thought.

User is offline   Sebastian 

Oh yeah, you're right. I'll see how it pans out, haven't even started on the map yet. I'll probably release the assets before the map.

View PostEmericaSkater, on 30 March 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

How deliciously Lovecraftian ;)

Yeah, I was gonna call my map The Spawn of Cthulhu!

edit: Another testshot in a more appropriate environment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Wolf 

I figure I'll post what I've got for my mod. Try to ignore the numbers on the top right that I forgot to delete. :X

A city (hub?) level:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
A snow level, at night.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
A very early WIP training level, to learn the basics of the mod.
Posted ImagePosted Image

This post has been edited by Wolf: 01 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

lol, Source dev textures. ;)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's a neat concept, Sebastian.

User is offline   CruX 

Posted Image

...Just a little sumthin'sumthin' I threw together this morning.

Nice detailing, I like!

User is online   zykov eddy 

Too much stuff + lack of good shading. The design is nice.

I've got a tip emerica. Instead of adding all these small things, that are really used for eye candy, which it is not because the game is outdated, you should focus more on gameplay. It could use some shading. I know you haven't put it in yet because you didn't have time, just a reminder. Otherwise, it looks really good.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostJhect, on 05 April 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

I've got a tip emerica. Instead of adding all these small things, that are really used for eye candy, which it is not because the game is outdated, you should focus more on gameplay. It could use some shading. I know you haven't put it in yet because you didn't have time, just a reminder. Otherwise, it looks really good.

I want candy! Why give up good looks just because other games have higher resolution? Would you say the same to Gambini?

It doesn't matter who i tell that. What i said was, that all the small things that takes much time isn't really that important, at least for me. I would rather have a game focusing on the gameplay. Ofcourse, if a team is making a game, it's always good that they focus on everything since they have the time. But when you do it alone, it just takes years to fill in sprites that doesn't really do anything.
Now i am going be careful about what i say.
Ofcourse an empty map with nothing to look at is boring. You understand what i mean right?

View PostLeoD, on 05 April 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

I want candy! Why give up good looks just because other games have higher resolution? Would you say the same to Gambini?

Candy must be nice placed, otherwise it looks useless

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Jhect I don't know why you criticized him for prioritizing details over gameplay when he hasn't shown anything about the gameplay yet! For all we know it could be brilliant.

There are good ways to criticize, and there are bad ways. You choose.

I don't think I even get to choose between those two. I mean... TRON is practically another word for candy. ;)

I don't think the high detail necessarily means something else is lacking though. One of the things I love about the pre-full-3D games is the high turnout rate. One-man development teams are so much more feasible.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 05 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

User is offline   CruX 

View Postzykov eddy, on 05 April 2011 - 12:24 PM, said:

Too much stuff + lack of good shading. The design is nice.

The detail is matter a of personal taste, I guess. For me, there can't be too much detail, unless it starts to cramp the player's movement, which isn't happening in that screen. The center walkway is 1024 units wide, so there's plenty of space to move around. I'll concede though, the shading's pretty wimpy. I designed the area first, then added the shade as sort of an afterthought. The problem now is that I don't want it to be any darker than it already is, so I'm going to have to create a few extra sectors to bleed the different shade together a bit better.

View PostJhect, on 05 April 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

I've got a tip emerica. Instead of adding all these small things, that are really used for eye candy, which it is not because the game is outdated, you should focus more on gameplay.

The majority of a map's "gameplay" is in the placement of enemies and weapons. If my first release is any indication, I kinda like to think I've got a good handle on that. Either way, that stuff doesn't come in till the entire map's completed.

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 06 April 2011 - 05:38 AM

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Well I know my project Black Shadow isn't exactly Duke3d anymore, although still a Ken built engine, I'll just post once about it.

I've setup a MODDB profile with vids and some early demos. You can also visit 64digits for secret(not really) more often released tech demos and other stuff. MODDB kind of has a long approval process so stuff posted there will be more completed I suppose. 64digits is for quick demos and feedback.

I do have to give props to Deeperthought for his early assistance in the Duke3d version, he provided some really great code and suggestions which some I'll be bringing over.

Since things have kind of 'started' over, there's a lot of changes between the two.

http://www.moddb.com...black-shadow-3d

http://www.64digits.com

http://www.youtube.com/scottaw1981

It kinda looks the same... Only a little better ;)

But please do something about the shield. It is annoyingly big.

User is offline   Gambini 

@Emerikaskater:I love your screenshot. Nice details sum up more than a thousand of well placed monsters ;)

This post has been edited by Gambini: 06 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

Finnished one more map. - yay
Added more weapon upgrades / projectile options. - hehe
Added lot's more music - ^^
Changed weapon upgrade system. Now you can't change between the 4 weapon projectile types whenever you want to. You have to go to your local moogle and change between the 4 different weapon upgrades, if you have them unlocked... - yay more unlockables!!!
I only need to add 6 more weapon upgrades, i am pretty sure that i will change some of them, and i have ideas for 2 new out of the 6 that i need. - awesome for me
Added some very cool small things, like ingame clock new bar, enemy hp bar, enemy scan system so you can see a little info about who you are fighting. That is hella important in mods where there are incredibly many monsters.
Added a few codes for a monster arena episode. You have to catch monsters in the adventure episode. Once that is done, you can fight them in the monster arena.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 07 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

What exactly are you making, Jhect?

A mod... duuhh. kidding, it's a mod where you play through many maps that are all connected. Very final fantasy rpg based. And with the cool music from other games like devil may cry.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 07 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

Original:

Posted Image

My mod version:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostJhect, on 07 April 2011 - 12:52 PM, said:

Finnished one more map. - yay

Can we see some screenshots of this so called map so we can compare it to EmericaSkater's map seeing that you sound like a guy who knows what makes a great map as such.
This should be no problem right?

You'd want that right? So you could troll more ^^ i won't, maybe i will when i finish my chocobo :dukegoof:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postzykov eddy, on 08 April 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

My mod version:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wow. Who knew? Can't really even tell that's Duke at all!

User is offline   CruX 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 April 2011 - 06:44 AM, said:

Wow. Who knew? Can't really even tell that's Duke at all!

I was actually thinking the same thing. Killer job, Eddy!

View PostJhect, on 09 April 2011 - 06:26 AM, said:

You'd want that right? So you could troll more ^^ i won't, maybe i will when i finish my chocobo :dukegoof:

It was a pretty legit request. You clearly consider yourself an authority when it comes to map design (and pretty much every other nuance of modding), so it'd be nice to see what you've actually done that makes you think you're so well-versed. One lousy screenshot really isn't much to ask, especially considering the fact that it might help bleed off some of these other posts you've devoted to talking out your ass.

Of course, all of that is said on the assumption that you're trying to be a genuinely constructive forum member, and I highly doubt that now. After the whole downvoting incident, I really can't see you as being anything other than an obnoxious little fail-trolling twerp.

Well that's your opinion :dukegoof: i just said that i liked your map but i would like to see you focus on something else and then you completely super troll me. Good job, keep doing what you do best, asslicker.

I've already posted pictures of my first map, those are older than the newer version. Use the seach button.

I am pretty sure that you and the commander are the guys who downvoted me without a reason, so don't you say that i am a little kid alright?

And you have to agree that it doesn't matter how good my map is, if i show you, you will just troll it down as if it was crap.

That downvoting "incident" must have really hurt you since you now downvote me ^^

Looking forward for the 2 downvotes.

uhh, forgot to post my update lol.

Now i only need 2 more projectile types, one for devastator and one for the freezer. Can't think of anymore types to put in xD

Sorry DT if you think that i stole your idea of a projectile that spawns when a weapon shoot a wall or something and then hurts the enemy. Think it was called something with star.
It was just such a good idea and i cant think or anything else that might work.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 09 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

Jhect, your attitude reminds me of Zaxtor, but at least he keeps quiet now and only shows up when he has something useful to post.

Does it matter if people downvote or troll on your work? No, because you know they will do it, if you made something you need to be open to criticism for it or else keep the thing to yourself. All that matters is that you are happy with it, but if you want to post about how great it is and comparing it with other people's work, you should be sharing screen shots of your stuff so we can see where everyone else is going wrong.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options