Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Hank 

View PostVinsaneOne, on Mar 1 2011, 07:47 PM, said:

Before anything else, lets welcome RangerC to Duke4 net!

Hey, good stuff modeling, and welcome to the club :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostRanger366, on Mar 1 2011, 07:59 PM, said:

I didn't stole the chaingun model, i modelled it by myself in 3DS max.

IIRC the 3DR model was created after a real weapon so in theory you should be fine to do the same from scratch. But if you reproduce details that appear to be invented by 3DR (maybe that display thingy on top of the gun) the ice gets thinner.
The same should go for any trivial textures like concrete, water, wood, etc. There is a nice German term relating to this that translates to something like 'level of creation'. From this point of view many parts of the HRP could be used in the wild easily without even violating the HRP license (at least by their original creators). But since this community has no means to fund a legal nitpicking battle it has always been a good idea to urge people not to use any HRP stuff for other purposes.

User is offline   Ranger366 

First of all, thanks for welcoming me to the forums.
I was already in panic that you shut my project down...
I did not knew that re-creating in detail is wrong.
I will try to change the weapon concept and so on.

It was never planned that R-Coop uses Duke Nukem stuff, this "mod" is practice for me.
I'm planning to make a game on the Quake engine, so i have to test out the tools i've got.
The reason i morphed it to a Duke Nukem themed game was VinsaneOne, his voice is perfect for the game im making.
To sound serious i morphed myself to a "Duke Nukem Uber-Fanboy" and changed my profile URL to "duke-nukem".
Normally im just a Half-Life/Quake modder, who likes to play Duke Plus in his freetime.

This post has been edited by Ranger366: 02 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

You gotta love playing Duke! Why not mod for Duke as well?

User is offline   Ranger366 

I have no ideas, also im afraid what duke4.net will say.

View PostRanger366, on Mar 2 2011, 03:26 AM, said:

I have no ideas, also im afraid what duke4.net will say.

We spoke of one idea that I won't mention here now. They will love it! (if it can be done at all) Guess we'll see.

Don't think I need a new thread for this and I said I would post it here;

Some people wanted to know how I made the bridge,
Posted Image
so if you haven't already reverse engineered it from the map I released, you can download a small map with the two bridges in it here; http://www.mediafire...abk818duoz4rh8k

To construct the bridge you need to slope the floors (and possibly ceilings for more wacky shapes) of some small sectors and mask wall and parralax the inner most sector and parallax thethe surrounding sectors, adjusting the height to the extremeties of the archway for the nearest sectors and to the extremeties of the surrounding floor and ceiling for the outer-most sectors. You can make any shape you like within reason so you don't only have to make bridges... It's hard to describe, but grab that file and turn no-clip on, you'll soon see what is going on there.

Might try to write better instructions later or if anybody wants I can record one being constructed in Build (Can't record from Mapster right now as I don't have another machine capable of running it) and upload it to YouTube, though I will likely not speak in the video and you will just have to copy what I do... Unless you want audible instructions.

Edit: Want to try something cool? Wonder what would happen if you made something with "Active" sectors, you could probably do some weird stuff with that.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 03 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

xD

http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/

thank you!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Since WGR2 is now in its own subforum where it can easily go unnoticed, I would like to mention that the huge update we have been working on has now been released:

http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=3571

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 4 2011, 12:34 AM, said:

Since WGR2 is now in its own subforum where it can easily go unnoticed, I would like to mention that the huge update we have been working on has now been released:

http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=3571

Needless to say, but I will anyway: Highly Recommend checking this out!

User is offline   Sebastian 

Decided to boot up XP and play this again for the first time in what feels like forever.
It's still very rough, early alpha and all. Though I was wondering if there would be any public interest in playing this (in its current state) since I kinda feel like it's a shame to have it sitting on my harddrive where it won't really do no good. I do intend to polish and finish it as soon as things cool down on DT's end but I don't know when we'll both get around to it.

Posted Image

That looks pretty cool! Very dark and atmospheric. I can see it's 3rd person or will it be 1st person too?
Like to see some more stuff, eventhough it's in an alpha state. Looks promising :P

Close to finishing my slopeactor. This means no more sloping :P This thing does it all for me xD

This post has been edited by Jhect: 09 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Very nice looking. I say do it. I was very unsatisfied with AVP2 and AFAIK the other Aliens FPS got scrapped, so I don't think there's any xenomorph games in development atm.

It's done. 200 lines of code. Some old fart around here told me that you would never be able to make hills with this engine. What a fucker. Now it's even possible to let the game do it for you.

User is offline   Stabs 

That looks great that Aliens mod, is that a more modern 3rd person view that not centered so you can actually see what your shooting?

Iam between things atm so if you need a mapper or any help shoot me a PM, I can probably go full steam sometime in mid april

View PostJhect, on Mar 10 2011, 12:04 AM, said:

Some old fart around here told me that you would never be able to make hills with this engine. What a fucker. Now it's even possible to let the game do it for you.

Hehe, It's awesome when you prove the impossible is possible, hope it was worth the effort.

Don't be surprised if it goes widely ignored... Like those maps I released that haven't appeared on any of the review/hosting sites yet - Admittedly my first map is awaiting another revision that allows it to go stand-alone, this is pending the next DP release, also it probably performs too crappy for anybody to actually review it themselves, but still... They were widely ignored despite being revolutionary! (Yah, I can be arrogant!).

The only thing i don't like about your map is that i can't play it :P too bad for me lol. Anyway, probably gonna upload the main boss music soon on youtube.

Heh, I wouldn't worry, I just saw an oppurtunity to point it out to the forum as a whole and took it.

User is offline   Stabs 

I will give your map a spin, Its just after massive build sessions that iam always doing the last thing i want to play is anything in build lol

its tf2 time or the flavor of the month then

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHigh Treason, on Mar 9 2011, 08:20 PM, said:

Hehe, It's awesome when you prove the impossible is possible, hope it was worth the effort.

Don't be surprised if it goes widely ignored... Like those maps I released that haven't appeared on any of the review/hosting sites yet - Admittedly my first map is awaiting another revision that allows it to go stand-alone, this is pending the next DP release, also it probably performs too crappy for anybody to actually review it themselves, but still... They were widely ignored despite being revolutionary! (Yah, I can be arrogant!).

My maps where ignored, because, well, they sucked at the time. Now, years later, they are on sites that did not even exist then. One posted it as “On this day XYZ was released”. I've got fair marks from M. Sandt. Also, check the number of downloads, you may be not as ignored as you think. :P

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJhect, on Mar 9 2011, 04:04 PM, said:

It's done. 200 lines of code. Some old fart around here told me that you would never be able to make hills with this engine. What a fucker. Now it's even possible to let the game do it for you.

Ok, I'll bite. What are you talking about? And maybe you should thank the "old fart" for motivating you.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on Mar 10 2011, 12:46 PM, said:

My maps where ignored, because, well, they sucked at the time. Now, years later, they are on sites that did not even exist then. One posted it as “On this day XYZ was released”. I've got fair marks from M. Sandt. Also, check the number of downloads, you may be not as ignored as you think. :P

Oh, which maps have you done Hank? I'm interested in having a look at them :D

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on Mar 10 2011, 03:29 AM, said:

Oh, which maps have you done Hank? I'm interested in having a look at them :P

For now look under 'Phoenix' at MSDN, I think this is where the better one's are. Be carful, they work with version 1.3, and do not use the cons! If you play them in Eduke32, the fire dance stupidly, 0 gravity does not exist etc. , and if I can pull it off, they will work with our art and actors in another engine. :D

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 10 2011, 01:08 AM, said:

Ok, I'll bite. What are you talking about? And maybe you should thank the "old fart" for motivating you.

It's from that triangles thread.

I'm really not fully understanding what this thing does, only that a grid of triangles was drawn as a map, and then an actor automatically slopes them to 'generate' terrain. Not sure of anymore than that.

This is correct wayskobfssae.

The main purpose for the actor is to save the map creater a lot of time. I tested it yesterday. I made a hill manually. It took med over an hour. With the actor it took me under 5 minutes o.O But remember, sloping the map to create terrain eats up a lot of walls and also a bit of sprites. But if you are making a nature level, then you usually don't spend so many walls like if you did a house based level. And the hills really gives the map a feeling instead of just one big flat floor. And then ofcourse, this gives the minimum ammount of edges when you slope.

View PostJhect, on Mar 10 2011, 01:54 PM, said:

This is correct wayskobfssae.

The main purpose for the actor is to save the map creater a lot of time. I tested it yesterday. I made a hill manually. It took med over an hour. With the actor it took me under 5 minutes o.O But remember, sloping the map to create terrain eats up a lot of walls and also a bit of sprites. But if you are making a nature level, then you usually don't spend so many walls like if you did a house based level. And the hills really gives the map a feeling instead of just one big flat floor. And then ofcourse, this gives the minimum ammount of edges when you slope.

I guess the one thing that I was really confused by is, do you have any manual control over it? Can you change seed values like something akin to a fractal terrain generator, or can you tell it specifically where you want a hill or a valley to be placed?

Can you please explain, i don't understand what you mean :P

If you have 2 sectors which height is not the same. then puttin this actor and if you do it corret. Then the there won't be any edges.

View PostJhect, on Mar 10 2011, 04:45 PM, said:

Can you please explain, i don't understand what you mean :P

If you have 2 sectors which height is not the same. then puttin this actor and if you do it corret. Then the there won't be any edges.

Oh, so you set the heights of the sectors and the actor decides the slopes? I was envisioning the whole room being flat when the map first loads.

The best way as i see it, is start by making a sector. This sector is what i call the center sector. The height of the center sector has to be different from the surrounding sector. The surround sector is the sector that we don't touch, it is the sector that is always flat. Arround the center sector we have the sloped sectors. These sectors are always triangles, and the firstwall has to be to the nextsector of either the center sector or the surround secor.
So all you gotta do is, make the center sector first. Set it's z position. Make the slope sectors, give them the correct firstwall. Put in the actor and give them the correct shade value. Shade value 1 is for the is for the triangle with the firstwall next to the center sector, and shade value 2 is for the other slope sector.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 10 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options