Duke4.net Forums: Duke Music 3D Project - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Music 3D Project  "updating the old midi crap"

User is offline   d3drocks 

yep, im back at it. this is ment to be REALLY high quality, instead of the rendered midi files that come with the HRP.
I also cant leave you guys hanging with nothing, so here is a teaser:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FQKT3K1L

thats 4 clips of different songs.

Currently, the only song that is final is WaterWorld.

I am trying my hardest not to brickwall these songs (if you know anything about audio mixing, you will know what I am talking about).

I should probably get a website set up and find some hosting...
maybe later.

so yeah...
leave some feedback :)

User is offline   Mark 

Overall it sounds good. In the first track there is a mechanical "tink" sound that seems too thin and could use longer sustain. But I didn't fire up the original to compare.

Quality was very good except I had to crank up the bass on my computer to bring out the lows to my liking. I usually mix my own stuff to compensate for that if it is going to be mostly listened to on a computer sound system as opposed to home stereo.

I'm looking forward to hearing the final versions.

View PostMarked, on May 25 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

Overall it sounds good. In the first track there is a mechanical "tink" sound that seems too thin and could use longer sustain. But I didn't fire up the original to compare.

Quality was very good except I had to crank up the bass on my computer to bring out the lows to my liking. I usually mix my own stuff to compensate for that if it is going to be mostly listened to on a computer sound system as opposed to home stereo.

I'm looking forward to hearing the final versions.

I've been sacrificing alot of bass, because I've noticed it interfears with gameplay quite a bit when I play games (at least, thats my experiance).
as for that first track, I truely hate it. "dethtoll". incredibly bad song. I'm not doing anything else to it. i dont want to open the project file for it ever again. I hate it that much.
oh well.
2 more songs are done. Gotham and POB.
Gotham I obvously remember hearing, POB, I dont even remember at all. I pulled out the midi and had a look. I updated the sounds in the midi (which is all im doing. I'm not doing anything from scratch cause that would take too long. I already do alot of changes to the midi to make it fit my instruments, redoing it all would probably take longer), and it worked out real well.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Interesting rendition of Dethtoll, but the strings sound really fake. And the tin clang sound is supposed to be a tubular bell. Water World isn't too bad, though. Can't find very much wrong with it. Streets sounds like there's a little too much reverb...just a tad. Like the reverb effect level should be turned down just a bit and the fade-out shortened a little. Stalker sounded pretty good as well, but the synth sounds just a tad too dry. Needs a little bit of something behind it...a bit more reverb maybe. Or a stereo-spread delay effect.

Overall the orchestra samples don't really sound that high quality at all. They're decent, but not terribly high quality. What are you using for your sounds anyway?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 25 2009, 11:04 PM, said:

Interesting rendition of Dethtoll, but the strings sound really fake. And the tin clang sound is supposed to be a tubular bell. Water World isn't too bad, though. Can't find very much wrong with it. Streets sounds like there's a little too much reverb...just a tad. Like the reverb effect level should be turned down just a bit and the fade-out shortened a little. Stalker sounded pretty good as well, but the synth sounds just a tad too dry. Needs a little bit of something behind it...a bit more reverb maybe. Or a stereo-spread delay effect.

Overall the orchestra samples don't really sound that high quality at all. They're decent, but not terribly high quality. What are you using for your sounds anyway?

strings are various soundfonts I've pulled off of sf2midi.
I could go render the string parts in pro-tools 8 with Xpand2, but I'm not going to do that untill they freaking patch pro-tools. its broken beyond belief. (I also cant afford the Varadizen orchrestra soundset for DirectWave right now. otherwize, ide be using that).

I guess you are talking about the percussion reverb with streets. thats a matter of opinion. I happen to like it that way. I could shape the decay a bit I guess.

as for stalker, which synth are you talking about? in that mp3, the one that comes in first is just a holding synth. its probably going to be replaced with something a little more acidish/303 sounding.

as for tubular bells, I have no samples for that, so I made a quick bell-ish with sytrus.

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 25 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

The last piece sounds very nice.

View PostSpiker, on May 26 2009, 03:48 AM, said:

The last piece sounds very nice.

thanks.
the last one was stalker from the first level.

User is offline   QuisEstRex 

very nice !
the hats on the second one (is that a 14" sabain ?) could sustain more, the reverb is great but it's not enough for my taste ;-)
o, and can host on media fire ? they don't have a queue, you can upload and download unlimited without registering, and you can pause and resume their download...

User is offline   SwissCm 

It's a shame the dethtoll from the Saturn version can't be used. It's actually a pretty damn good arrangement and goes for a more ambient approach.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it might be worth it for you to check out the Saturn version of the soundtrack to get some ideas. Most of the tracks from it are very good.

This post has been edited by SwissCm: 26 May 2009 - 05:09 AM

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 08:56 AM, said:

very nice !
the hats on the second one (is that a 14" sabain ?) could sustain more, the reverb is great but it's not enough for my taste ;-)
o, and can host on media fire ? they don't have a queue, you can upload and download unlimited without registering, and you can pause and resume their download...

sure, go ahead. host it there, just make sure to give it the proper discription, and link back here :D
as for the hats, thats out of my controll sadly. its a soundfont.
and thanks :)

It's a shame the dethtoll from the Saturn version can't be used. It's actually a pretty damn good arrangement and goes for a more ambient approach.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it might be worth it for you to check out the Saturn version of the soundtrack to get some ideas. Most of the tracks from it are very good.

man, I hate deathtoll with a passion. there is no way I will go back to that song.
as for the saturn sound track, do you have a download link?
ide gladly gather ideas from it.

View Postd3drocks, on May 26 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

sure, go ahead. host it there, just make sure to give it the proper discription, and link back here :D
as for the hats, thats out of my controll sadly. its a soundfont.
and thanks :)

you can edit the midi notation to do it, in reaper(v3) you double-click the midi take to open the note editor, ctrl+a to select all the notes and with the mouse pointer you drag the edge of one of the note to the right in order to prolong the note duration (I.E: the sustain of the high-hat) or left to shorten it.

P.S: I'm working on Grabbag here: http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=1005 it's not as good as your works, but since you seem to know your stuff I will love some feedback and tips ;-)
just make sure you pickup the latest version...

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

you can edit the midi notation to do it, in reaper(v3) you double-click the midi take to open the note editor, ctrl+a to select all the notes and with the mouse pointer you drag the edge of one of the note to the right in order to prolong the note duration (I.E: the sustain of the high-hat) or left to shorten it.

P.S: I'm working on Grabbag here: http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=1005 it's not as good as your works, but since you seem to know your stuff I will love some feedback and tips ;-)
just make sure you pickup the latest version...

heh, I did sustain the midi notes :)
In fl-studio, I selected all the hat notes at once changed sustain values as well as lengthening the notes, and changing the velocity.
I hit the end of the sample in the soundfont.
I'll take a look at your song in an hour or so.

View Postd3drocks, on May 26 2009, 07:14 PM, said:

heh, I did sustain the midi notes :D
In fl-studio, I selected all the hat notes at once changed sustain values as well as lengthening the notes, and changing the velocity.
I hit the end of the sample in the soundfont.
I'll take a look at your song in an hour or so.

hehe, too bad :)
you can try to duplicate the track and shift it a little in the time line, with proper compression, gates, echo and reverb you might be able to juice-out a few ms ;-)

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 01:15 PM, said:

hehe, too bad :)
you can try to duplicate the track and shift it a little in the time line, with proper compression, gates, echo and reverb you might be able to juice-out a few ms ;-)

that will require some unison stuff, and phase shifting but it could work. I definately wanna finish more music before I do anything like that though.
btw, im gunna reply to your thread with your song. (to keep this one on topic.)

their's a cheap quick way to do a very good natural phasing in midi:
you duplicate the track and using a very restricted auto-pan that is set with a small margin for note delays (the same thing can be used to humanize a midi take) you can get a real phasing effect :-)

of-course their should be a vst that does the same plus makes the necessary echo, reverb and other necessities easy to access :)

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

their's a cheap quick way to do a very good natural phasing in midi:
you duplicate the track and using a very restricted auto-pan that is set with a small margin for note delays (the same thing can be used to humanize a midi take) you can get a real phasing effect :-)

of-course their should be a vst that does the same plus makes the necessary echo, reverb and other necessities easy to access :)

I could actually just replace the cymbols with synthisis. Ogun is AMAIZING for cymbols and hihats. I only have the demo right now, but I plan on buying it within a few months.

then better wait, it's not like you're on a schedule ;-)

aren't imageline the guys that do toxic biohazard vst ? isn't that the demo vst you get with FL Studio ?
come to think of it, it made a great saw, but that's unrelated...
regardless, don't know them much to be honest, so I'll wait and see what you can make of it ;-)

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 02:45 PM, said:

then better wait, it's not like you're on a schedule ;-)

mhm.

here is another demo of 4 more tunes btw:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oyt3j3

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I love your remix of the song @ 1:21 (forgot what it's called). Keep up the great work. :)

the guitar sounds good, very good considering your using only Sytrus !!!

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

View PostYatta, on May 26 2009, 03:58 PM, said:

I love your remix of the song @ 1:21 (forgot what it's called). Keep up the great work. :D

thanks. I also forgot the name, so I went by the midi name.
"POB"

the guitar sounds good, very good considering your using only Sytrus !!!

I do audio engineering as a hobby and professionally. I know quite a bit about synthisis. (but not spelling aparently)
this sound was a collaboration between me and another sound designer on the FL-Studio Forums.
actually, if anyone reading this has been interested in FL-Studio, I am a reseller of their products, and can get anyone (that is a new customer to them) a 10% discount on anything from their webshop.

sytrus is a very underrated tool, especially because the presets that it comes with dont do it justice.
on the sytrus webpage though, the last mp3 demo is of bag pipes designed by daven hughes. I thought that mp3 was badass!

back on topic. thanks for the feedback yet again :)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice job! Sounding good. Though the bass on POB is barely audible. That's a big part of the song for me.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 26 2009, 04:19 PM, said:

Nice job! Sounding good. Though the bass on POB is barely audible. That's a big part of the song for me.

thanks.
and that would also be because I didnt add in my usual back up bass, or swap the slap samples.
that slap sound is from a roland midi soundset that comes with FL-Studio. I seem to have missplaced my usual slapped bass vst, so this is just a holder for now :)

View Postd3drocks, on May 26 2009, 10:23 PM, said:

thanks.
and that would also be because I didnt add in my usual back up bass, or swap the slap samples.
that slap sound is from a roland midi soundset that comes with FL-Studio. I seem to have missplaced my usual slapped bass vst, so this is just a holder for now :)

their some really good banks here:
http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soundli...p;ListLength=15
until recently those were my first choice.

here is teaser #3:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3v2ycw
we see here, 2 of the more orchestral tracks, plus 2 others.
these tracks were alot of fun to put together.
if you wanna rehost this with mediafire, please do. sendspace links dont last forever.

omg im an idiot. I left out a song in that mp3!
grr.
I'll put together a new teaser tomorrow.

should have been 5 clips, not 4.

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 28 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

I love them all !
the first mission un-possible :-) is really coming along nicely !
the second has an amazing feel...
is that an organ in the third ;-) ? the third feels a little empty comparing to the rest...
the fourth, the drone is perfect, the synth - I can't say :), the bass - good, the drums - I know how difficult it is to give a kick some feel without a snare, so, well done.

their something I want you to check out if you get the chance, the 85' Aliens (Alien 2) soundtrack, specifically track 05, the combat drop, and track 23, the percussion only version - you might find it interesting inspiration for RESTRICT.MID and some other tracks, the mixing along makes it a useful tip ;-)

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 29 May 2009 - 03:12 AM

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 29 2009, 07:00 AM, said:

I love them all !
the first mission un-possible :-) is really coming along nicely !
the second has an amazing feel...
is that an organ in the third ;-) ? the third feels a little empty comparing to the rest...
the fourth, the drone is perfect, the synth - I can't say :), the bass - good, the drums - I know how difficult it is to give a kick some feel without a snare, so, well done.

their something I want you to check out if you get the chance, the 85' Aliens (Alien 2) soundtrack, specifically track 05, the combat drop, and track 23, the percussion only version - you might find it interesting inspiration for RESTRICT.MID and some other tracks, the mixing along makes it a useful tip ;-)

thanks.
yes, you did hear an organ in the 3rd. thats what its suppost to have, but I changed the notation on all of the organ parts to be less annoying.

View Postd3drocks, on May 29 2009, 02:26 PM, said:

thanks.
yes, you did hear an organ in the 3rd. thats what its suppost to have, but I changed the notation on all of the organ parts to be less annoying.

cool, though changing the notation is a big no-no in my book...
also, let me have a peek at what you're doing with grabbag, I'm dying to see what you're doing with it now that I've mostly finished my mix...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 29 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 29 2009, 01:55 PM, said:

cool, though changing the notation is a big no-no in my book...
also, let me have a peek at what you're doing with grabbag, I'm dying to see what you're doing with it now that I've mostly finished my mix...

ok, that will be the first track I officially release. needs a tad of changing though.
I just wanna wait to see if duke4 will give me some hosting, so I dont have to abusese these file sending sites that no one likes in the first place.
if they choose not to host me, I'll go find a free hosting service.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options