• You cannot reply to this topic

Another GrabBag  "my grabbag"

User is offline   QuisEstRex 

this is my mix of grabbag:

new version:

http://www.mediafire...php?5zzznyz22nt

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.D1A1
Lee Jackson (mix by QuisEstRex)

I finally replaced the synths to a string ensemble - Cakewalk Studio Instruments, at the ridiculous bargain price of 50$, which makes it one of the few things I bought at retail price :P .
this is a major change from earlier, just to make it easy to understand you might find this interesting:
http://www.mediafire...php?lnilwyjqtzn
here you can hear the strings alone with only the reverb effect applied on top of them...

since synths are mostly a question of personnel preference, I'll suggest you'll try both version and use whichever you like best.

enjoy
QuisEstRex

http://www.mediafire...php?mnemjwqjzta

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.C1A1

thanks to PimpUigi, theirs now, what I believe to be, a significant improvement in the drums.

http://www.mediafire...php?zdjyydyz3tm

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.B1C1

minor revision with an unnoticeable delay added at the beginning in order to resolve possible playback issues...

http://www.mediafire...php?1vdvwknoygm

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.B1B1

very minor changes,
- increased synth just a little (you likely won't feel the difference if you don't use Sonic Visualiser to compare this and the previous version),
- decreased bells, almost unnoticeable, it's mainly done to fit with the synth...
- increased overall sound quality by using a less tight compression - unfortunately the file is now 2mb, the problem is it seems that both .mp3 and .ogg favour cutting the exact sound that people complain about it being lacking volume... this should resolve it...

http://www.mediafire...php?zdtluzjznky

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.B1A1

This is mostly a finished version, I completed everything I planned on doing with it and then some...
I'm still open to feedback & if anyone has a major issue with something or a solid idea on how to improve it further (say, in the guitar department), I'm still listening...

http://www.mediafire...php?imzdofhmjmx

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.A1C1

OGG file was rendered with a little more quality - plus 200kb...
replaced the organ with synths (thanks MusicallyInspired & d3drocks);
tweaked with bass guitar - the slap bass now plays a larger part
tweaked with reverb across the spectrum - mostly noticeable in the bells...
drums a little tweaked - experimental, let know what you think
many other small things details...

hopefully if people won't find the current state of things too dreadful, I'll be able to move on with mixing automation and maybe see if I can tweak the guitars some more (this will probably be delayed since theirs a lot a leeway for taste in guitar amps and effect - meaning some painful decision would be made...).

Edit: keeping with tradition, here is v.A1C1:
Posted Image

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.A1B1

http://www.mediafire...php?znzzmkiomm2

very similar to before, but I dropped the reverb off the rhythm (opening) guitar (thx d3drocks) and switched the bass from a soundfont to a slapbass I hacked off realstrat and amplitube, it's hardly noticeable but trust me, it's the best synth bass ever ;-)
Most importantly I mixed down the organ since I can't find a replacement and so many folks seem to dislike it.
I'm surrounded by meany's :P

P.S. the reverb on the lead guitar issue is basically one of dynamic range, the previous version sounded louder but at the expanse of distinguishing between the different sounds, this version makes it easier to tell apart from the different instruments - which is the reason I was forced to replace the bass, it wasn't good enough anymore.

here's v.A1:
Posted Image

and here is v.A1B1:
Posted Image

the more steep hills & valleys, the better the range (more dynamic) and hence better sounds...

enjoy !
QuisEstRex

GrabBag remix by QuisEstRex v.A1

http://www.mediafire...php?maiqjz0y5mk

It feels done, so this is more of an "official" release ;-)
I'm still open to feedback and tips, so feel free to drop a few...

enjoy
QuisEstRex

pre-edit:

Oldest Version: http://www.mediafire...php?qtcjtoljnnz

well, its the original midi notes with all sorts of effects and stuff...
I wasn't happy with the HRP4 music mod one (by shine62 I think) so I looked around but couldn't find a version with the heavy guitars and proper drums kit I wanted, so I decided to try and make it...

well, instead of using a noise-gen like L. Jackson used in the redbook, I decided to use a heavily compressed distortion guitars, the result is kinda funky and not very 80's metal, it's even a little too thrashy ;-)

I think it's kinda decent as is but I'm looking for some feedback, so I figured this is the forum to get it...

so, what do you like ? what do you think needs replacing ?

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 05 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I don't really like it. :P

User is offline   Spiker 

Some sounds are cool but some like the "metalic sound" are much too strong.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Says it was removed from Mediafire. Can't download.

View PostTX, on May 25 2009, 06:34 AM, said:

I don't really like it. :P

what do you think is wrong with it ? I kinda lost perspective after a while so I really need the feedback...

View PostSpiker, on May 25 2009, 12:07 PM, said:

Some sounds are cool but some like the "metalic sound" are much too strong.

yea, I'm thinking I compressed the guitar a little too much, I'll try doing something with it...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 25 2009, 03:42 PM, said:

Says it was removed from Mediafire. Can't download.

really ? seems ok on my end... maybe you can try again ?

Edit: right, so, I'm getting myself a nice guitar vst to hopefully improve on those guitars, currently I'm gating an sf2, so provided that the vst can produce realistic sounding guitar, their should a noticeable improvement in the guitar sounds... hopefully...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 25 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah there we go.

I don't like it either. The problem is the guitars are a big distorted mess and sound more like a bad keyboard trying to emulate a distorted guitar (I loathe keyboard guitars)......with distortion applied on top of that. It also sounds like reverb was added to the samples BEFORE the distortion so even the reverb is distorted. The only way you're going to get guitars that sound better than my music pack is if you have some amazingly good guitar samples and know how to use them and know what you're doing, or record a real guitar yourself.

EDIT: Seen your edit. I have to warn you that 9 times out of 10 no guitar simulator on the planet comes close to sounding like the real thing. Most of them have only one (or maybe a few) sample(s) that just pitch shifts as you go up and down the scale and that's not what a real guitar sounds like. And even if they recorded one sample for every note on the keyboard it's still not going to sound like a guitar unless you're a guitar player and know how a guitar is supposed to sound and are able to engineer the VST or SF2 or whatever in such a way that you can get it sounding at least CLOSE to an actual guitar. But it's never going to sound as good as the real thing and when it comes to a theme like Grabbag it really needs to.

I'm not trying to discourage you but warn you. You're probably not going to be happy with the end result. My advice is buy a cheap guitar and an effects pedal and try to learn how to play it that way.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

well, I only have an old hammer slammer, a marshal amp, a crybaby, and a cheap digitech RP-100, but I suppose I might be able to borrow a stereocaster from a mate and just jam the thing myself, the problem is that I don't have a decent soundcard and jamming it myself kinda defeats the purpose of it all, so sampling is the way to go for me :-)

as for the reverb being distorted, I was actually doing it on purpose because I wanted to avoid using a noise gen, so I figured a distorted reverb sounds just the same but I guess it didn't :-(

well, I will try and take the 'better reverb after distortion' thing under consideration...
hopefully I'll have something better to upload in a little while...

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

It was like listening to a chainsaw grinding through a nail filled piece of wood. With an electric piano and windchimes in the background.

Well... it was okay. I didn't like it because it was too messy. The guitars needs to be a lot more clear and the drumming felt wrong somehow. Too intrusive or just too repetitive.. I'm not even sure. It was like a miss match with extra lowered sound quality.
Clear up the guitar riff, make it longer overall and change the drumming to something more ear friendly.

This post has been edited by Ramen4ever: 25 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

View PostRamen4ever, on May 25 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

It was like listening to a chainsaw grinding through a nail filled piece of wood. With an electric piano and windchimes in the background.

Well... it was okay. I didn't like it because it was too messy. The guitars needs to be a lot more clear and the drumming felt wrong somehow. Too intrusive or just too repetitive.. I'm not even sure. It was like a miss match with extra lowered sound quality.
Clear up the guitar riff, make it longer overall and change the drumming to something more ear friendly.

I'm only using the original notation so I unfortunately can't prolong your agony ;-)

I'm uploading a version stripped of the guitars sound so ppl can comment on the balance issues and such, should be up in a little while...

here's the guitar stripped version:
http://www.mediafire...php?mzolltmjgtn

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 25 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

That kick is way too loud. That's one thing I notice right off the bat. I also don't like the sound of the synth instrument you're using.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 25 2009, 09:33 PM, said:

That kick is way too loud. That's one thing I notice right off the bat. I also don't like the sound of the synth instrument you're using.

I upped the kick because L. Jackson did in the redbook, but that's negotiable ;-), as for the synth, I might replace it with an Electric Organ style thingy :-) as soon as I find something that's fits...

here's a version with a nice organ instead of that synth thingy (wavesaw):
http://www.mediafire...php?2mjjm3jxdyn

how about a guitar vst ? I already have some decent amps so I'm looking something like RealGuitar (maybe RealStrat ? never tried it, maybe now is my chance...)... any suggestions ?

OK, this is a very early result from combining a few things, first and foremost is the new guitar vst that replaces the sf2 bank, It's much better then the original but still needs a lot of work, mostly in the mixing and the guitar amps and gates:
http://www.mediafire...php?y5umnvodgyz

Right, so, I feel it's almost done and feels pretty good, this is after some playing around and tweaking the amps and stuff... I think the mixing needs something but I'm not quite sure what at the moment, maybe more drums less bass ?!, hopefully someone here can spot it...
http://www.mediafire...php?nnly3hmtntm
so what do you think so far ? at this point I probably need some input before I can proceed...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 04:29 AM

enjoy
QuisEstRex

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 10:18 AM, said:

enjoy
QuisEstRex

Wow thats a heck of an improvement. Sounds a lot more balanced. The only thing is maybe the drums are still a bit too loud. but thats a nitpick really. I think you got it all balanced.

User is offline   d3drocks 

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 01:18 PM, said:

enjoy
QuisEstRex

not bad at all. what did you use for the guitar synths?
I havnt taken a shot at the grabbag midi in years (cause I've done it all live except for drums). maybe I should.
I can definately help you make it come a bit more alive.
first off, the reverb on the opening guitar. you probably shouldnt have any on that one. its not as bright as the other one, and plays a less important roll to the actual song. from reverb on a bunch of things, there is a very loud low "Drone" tone in the song. you should consider shortening your reverb decay, and limiting/compressing the loudest tracks.
hope you find this advice usefull, and good luck! :D
heh, im gunna go take a stab at that midi now :)

That sync theme in the song is too loud when it plays compared to the rest of the song. or at least it stands out too much compared to everything else. Overall it sounds a lot better than before. :) I agree that it's improved and is now more balanced.

• The Sarien Encounter

Sounds much better. But the organ is even worse than the synth you were using. Get that outta there! And I actually think the drums are a little too quiet now. Or the guitar and organ are too overpowering.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

thread bombardment !
you leave to take a smoke for 5 minutes and look what happens :D

let the counter-attack begin:

View PostCommando Nukem, on May 26 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

Wow thats a heck of an improvement. Sounds a lot more balanced. The only thing is maybe the drums are still a bit too loud. but thats a nitpick really. I think you got it all balanced.

thanks !
I too think it's well balanced (aside from the drums which are a personnel preference of mine... also see MusicallyInspired reply...) so that's why I release it as a v.A1 ;-)

View Postd3drocks, on May 26 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

not bad at all. what did you use for the guitar synths?
I havnt taken a shot at the grabbag midi in years (cause I've done it all live except for drums). maybe I should.
I can definately help you make it come a bit more alive.
first off, the reverb on the opening guitar. you probably shouldnt have any on that one. its not as bright as the other one, and plays a less important roll to the actual song. from reverb on a bunch of things, there is a very loud low "Drone" tone in the song. you should consider shortening your reverb decay, and limiting/compressing the loudest tracks.
hope you find this advice usefull, and good luck! :D
heh, im gunna go take a stab at that midi now :)

right, so, lets start with the vst breakdown:
The lead Guitar (which joins up around 4secs from the start):
MusicLab RealStrat
IKMultimedia AmpliTube Metal
Sanford Reverb
Waves L2

The Rhythm Guitar (right from the start):
MusicLab RealStrat
IKMultimedia AmpliTube Fender
Sanford Reverb
Waves RBass
Waves L2
Waves MaxxBass

Bass:
TWest Take1 1.3c (loading vst FluidR3_122501 picked bass)
IKMultimedia AmpliTube 2
Sanford Reverb
Waves MaxxBass

Sawtooth:
Iliadis VH-2
Auto-Pan
Sanford Reverb
Waves L2

Drone:
Iliadis VH-2
Sanford Reverb
Waves L2

Chimes Bells:
TWest Take1 1.3c (loading vst FluidR3_122501 Tublular Bells)
Auto-Pan
Waves L2

Drums:
Toontrack EZDrummer (Drumkit from hell)
waves C1 comp-gate
waves L2
waves RBass

so those are my secret tools :-)
obviously no stone was left unturned in finding little nobs and switches that do strange things to the audio - very VERY customized sound...

I'll reply later regarding the rest of your post...

View PostRamen4ever, on May 26 2009, 07:59 PM, said:

That sync theme in the song is too loud when it plays compared to the rest of the song. or at least it stands out too much compared to everything else. Overall it sounds a lot better than before. :D I agree that it's improved and is now more balanced.

"sync theme", eh, what ? what's that ? now I feel dumb :-(
thanks regardless :D

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 26 2009, 08:14 PM, said:

Sounds much better. But the organ is even worse than the synth you were using. Get that outta there! And I actually think the drums are a little too quiet now. Or the guitar and organ are too overpowering.

I love that organ ! I'm so proud of it ! your just a big meany ! :D
jokes aside, I really think the organ turned out to be great but if you can recommend an alternative I will definitely try it out...
O, and about the drums, see Commando Nukem reply...

now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a break !

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 10:42 AM, said:

"sync theme", eh, what ? what's that ? now I feel dumb :-(
thanks regardless :)

Plays at 23 and 26 seconds. I suppose it's an organ or piano imitation. Whatever it is, it stands out more than it should compared to the rest of the song.

insert massive quote here so i dont get flamed for quoting something huge

honestly, I think your using waaay too much on the guitar sound. the "real" series also uses alot of samples using up ram.

I just uploaded a new demo mp3. there are 2 songs in it that use guitar. I only used 3 things.
Image-Line Sytrus (using a special preset that a guy from the fl-forums and I crafted spesifically for doing this kind of thing)
Line6 Podfarm (came free with my x3, so what the heck :))
delay

making it 100% synthisis. its VERY hard to achieve a real sounding guitar with synthisis, and I didnt do too great with it, but its good.
if you happen to own sytrus, I am willing to share the preset with you (or a newer one. I am currently working on one that adds pinch harmonics).
when amping a non real guitar, the secret is to use ALOT of gain, to hide the characteristics of a recorded one/synthisized one. amplitube metal is the best choice for this with what you have (that I can see)

the drums. very good choice. I havnt bought that yet. its a tad out of my price range for the type of music I do (i currently do ALOT of electronica, and have 1 house album out).

the bass, never heard of it, and im not going to comment on your bass.
bass is something that doesnt have to sound too real. you use it to fill the empty low areas.

View PostRamen4ever, on May 26 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

Plays at 23 and 26 seconds. I suppose it's an organ or piano imitation. Whatever it is, it stands out more than it should compared to the rest of the song.

but I like it ! another meany... :D
it's really a question of taste and preference, but since their are a few folks around who don't like that synth anyhow, you'll just might get your wish ;-)

View Postd3drocks, on May 26 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

honestly, I think your using waaay too much on the guitar sound. the "real" series also uses alot of samples using up ram.

it's ok, I got 4 gigs to spare ;-)
as for the quantity, I actually do very little with each vst, and I find it's the only way to do synth guitars any justice without editing the notation...

I just uploaded a new demo mp3. there are 2 songs in it that use guitar. I only used 3 things.
Image-Line Sytrus (using a special preset that a guy from the fl-forums and I crafted spesifically for doing this kind of thing)
Line6 Podfarm (came free with my x3, so what the heck :D)
delay

making it 100% synthisis. its VERY hard to achieve a real sounding guitar with synthisis, and I didnt do too great with it, but its good.
if you happen to own sytrus, I am willing to share the preset with you (or a newer one. I am currently working on one that adds pinch harmonics).
when amping a non real guitar, the secret is to use ALOT of gain, to hide the characteristics of a recorded one/synthisized one. amplitube metal is the best choice for this with what you have (that I can see)

I don't have Sytrus, and as long as it sounds good, I don't care if it synth or real.
I just heard your new cuts, and commented on how good they are, I see now what your preference in guitar sound, sorry but I don't share it :) I prefer my heavy thrashy sounds...
but I'm still processing everything and I'm waiting at-least a day until my sensitivity returns...

the drums. very good choice. I havnt bought that yet. its a tad out of my price range for the type of music I do (i currently do ALOT of electronica, and have 1 house album out).

thanks, I went through a dozen vsts and countless drum-kits, only to find the obvious choice best...

the bass, never heard of it, and im not going to comment on your bass.
bass is something that doesnt have to sound too real. you use it to fill the empty low areas.

yap, the bass is just a free vst + a free sf2 with a lot of gating so it fills the gaps just right and won't overtake the sounds...

as for the reverb and "drone" sound, again those are on purpose to fill in instead of white-noise, plus I actually don't like those choppy cold picks with that huge assault so I preferred giving it a heavy distorted sound to cover both issues.
I think it's ok as is, but I'll give it another try in a little while once my ears freshen up ;-)

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

Excellent news:
just talked to a mate of mine, and he carelessly mentioned he has access to NI B4 !!! I didn't even mentioned I'm working on this project !!! I knew the guy works off-time, when not in uni, in a studio, but HOLY CR*P !!!

well, if B4 turns out to be half as good as folks say, It will be great ! I hope...

P.S. cool, he said he doesn't even have it installed - its an old version for pc only and since they recently upgraded to mac (probably pro tools HW they bought, I suppose...), I can have it !
- we still didn't discuss price but the guy just might convince them to either sell it cheap or even let borrow me it...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 02:46 PM, said:

but I like it ! another meany... :)
it's really a question of taste and preference, but since their are a few folks around who don't like that synth anyhow, you'll just might get your wish ;-)

I know you're probably joking anyway, but don't be too quick to call constructive criticism "being mean." More than one person has said now that they dislike the organ sound and since you're making this as a replacement for the music pack for other people to use it would probably be wise to heed their comments or else many may not use it as a replacement at all.

But if it's just a remix you're making for yourself feel free to do whatever you want! :D

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 26 2009, 04:30 PM, said:

But if it's just a remix you're making for yourself feel free to do whatever you want! :)

thats general rule #1 of music.
when I started in music, I was making tunes that I wanted to hear. I didnt care if other people hated them. I've more then trippled my skill since I originally said that to myself. its a good rule to go by.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's why I added that line at the end. I don't make music for anybody but myself as well. When you're creating music for other people, though (a music pack for Duke3D being a good example), you should listen to their preferences about certain things if they're interested in using it. Doesn't have to cramp your creativity in any big way certainly. But you know what I mean.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 26 2009, 10:30 PM, said:

I know you're probably joking anyway, but don't be too quick to call constructive criticism "being mean." More than one person has said now that they dislike the organ sound and since you're making this as a replacement for the music pack for other people to use it would probably be wise to heed their comments or else many may not use it as a replacement at all.

But if it's just a remix you're making for yourself feel free to do whatever you want! :)

yea, I was only kidding, although I like the fake 70's feel of that organ, I will be working to replace it simply because it doesn't fit the genre very well - can any one remember Jethro Tull ???

and by the way. I will LOVE to get it in the Music Pack, and I'm aware that keeping to the original midi notation is a primary requirement, but when I started it I was only thinking about making grabbag sound good, and now that d3drocks got into the groove, I honestly believe he can do it ten times better then me, so I'm not holding my hopes high :-)

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 05:00 PM, said:

yea, I was only kidding, although I like the fake 70's feel of that organ, I will be working to replace it simply because it doesn't fit the genre very well - can any one remember Jethro Tull ???

and by the way. I will LOVE to get it in the Music Pack, and I'm aware that keeping to the original midi notation is a primary requirement, but when I started it I was only thinking about making grabbag sound good, and now that d3drocks got into the groove, I honestly believe he can do it ten times better then me, so I'm not holding my hopes high :-)

thanks, but from what ive seen, you have MUCH more expenive tools then me :) (if that makes a difference).
you have done a great job this far man. effort and practice make the music world (well, not anymore if you listen to the top 40, but thats not music anyways :D )
practice makes better (you can never have perfict, but you can come close).
I gave up videogames to do music. I rarely play games. I've been at audio for 5-6 years now. I dont know how long you have been doing it, but I can tell your gunna do just fine :D

View Postd3drocks, on May 26 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

thanks, but from what ive seen, you have MUCH more expenive tools then me :) (if that makes a difference).
you have done a great job this far man. effort and practice make the music world (well, not anymore if you listen to the top 40, but thats not music anyways :D )
practice makes better (you can never have perfict, but you can come close).
I gave up videogames to do music. I rarely play games. I've been at audio for 5-6 years now. I dont know how long you have been doing it, but I can tell your gunna do just fine :D

thanks, I'm only getting into audio to this extent lately, I've been mostly trading and wh*ring software of all kinds to sustain my different nerdy addictions, and this is just one of many...

and what do you mean expensive ? I got reaper for like 100$ on-sale; sanford reverb was 25 bucks; VH2 is free; from the 3 waves, one I got bundled with the other in some dealer's offer, which was already ridiculously cheap; the Amplitube I got from these two dudes who got theirs off a retailer (the same one) as a replacement for a pre-order he couldn't keep, and they only do house, so I traded-in 20hr of tech support and 150$ ;-)

and it's not like I'm lucky with this buys, I'm constantly trading software with several guys, and even a few retailers. I.E. both the Amplitube and the RealStrat are already sold (trade for some other stuff) to a guy, and the waves I wh*re out to like every person I know for 15$ a pop :D and I covered their cost two month after I got them, so my pc is no ones b*tch no-more :-)

don't get me wrong, I'm no ghetto, but to think I'm paying full price on this stuff is ridiculous...

p.s. and yes, my account's transactions sheet does look like an RPG sell log :-)

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 06:04 PM, said:

thanks, I'm only getting into audio to this extent lately, I've been mostly trading and wh*ring software of all kinds to sustain my different nerdy addictions, and this is just one of many...

and what do you mean expensive ? I got reaper for like 100$ on-sale; sanford reverb was 25 bucks; VH2 is free; from the 3 waves, one I got bundled with the other in some dealer's offer, which was already ridiculously cheap; the Amplitube I got from these two dudes who got theirs off a retailer (the same one) as a replacement for a pre-order he couldn't keep, and they only do house, so I traded-in 20hr of tech support and 150$ ;-)

and it's not like I'm lucky with this buys, I'm constantly trading software with several guys, and even a few retailers. I.E. both the Amplitube and the RealStrat are already sold (trade for some other stuff) to a guy, and the waves I wh*re out to like every person I know for 15$ a pop :) and I covered their cost two month after I got them, so my pc is no ones b*tch no-more :-)

don't get me wrong, I'm no ghetto, but to think I'm paying full price on this stuff is ridiculous...

p.s. and yes, my account's transactions sheet does look like an RPG sell log :-)

ahh, ok.
I've paid full price for everything I have (minus 2 accustic guitars that were gifts). 2 electric guitars, pod-xt, pod-x3, pocket pod, FL-Studio XXL edition, Pro-Tools LE 7.4/8 with Mbox2 Mini, M-audio Keystation, etc. the list goes on.
btw, if you ever are interested in FL-Studio, I can get you a 10% discount on everything from their webstore. just say the word and I can get you a cupon code :D

I definately dont own any waves products. I have amplitube Live! because it was bundeled with Riffworks Standard edition.
I actually, make my own VSTs as well: http://www.d3drocks.co.cc/
I have some better ones planned, but I need to upgrade my synthmaker, and I cant afford it right now.
the biggest VST I've done right now is my own guitar amp model. I've cracked the secret of cabinent modeling :D

View Postd3drocks, on May 27 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

ahh, ok.
I've paid full price for everything I have (minus 2 accustic guitars that were gifts). 2 electric guitars, pod-xt, pod-x3, pocket pod, FL-Studio XXL edition, Pro-Tools LE 7.4/8 with Mbox2 Mini, M-audio Keystation, etc. the list goes on.

you've got pro tools ? that's tight ! way off my budget ;-)

btw, if you ever are interested in FL-Studio, I can get you a 10% discount on everything from their webstore. just say the word and I can get you a cupon code :D

I had it once. now, no more :-)
FL didn't feel right, probably because it's more loops oriented then I care for...

I definately dont own any waves products. I have amplitube Live! because it was bundeled with Riffworks Standard edition.

no one can afford waves, that's why I get a big grin every time someone asks me to do a pass on his wav with L2 or C1 :)

I actually, make my own VSTs as well: http://www.d3drocks.co.cc/
I have some better ones planned, but I need to upgrade my synthmaker, and I cant afford it right now.
the biggest VST I've done right now is my own guitar amp model. I've cracked the secret of cabinent modeling :D

now that's amazing !
I always thought you need programming skillz to write vsts, but now all you need is music theory skillz, unfortunately I lack in both :-(
seriously though, you're a true pro when you do your own vsts...

p.s. deal fell through, no NI B4 :-(
what do you guys suggest I use instead ? I was rethinking that Toxic Biohazard by Image Line d3drocks mentioned before for a saw ? I would prefer a free vst though...
p.p.s seems if you have Image Line Toxic III you get Toxic Biohazard free ! note to self, first thing in the morning start making calls...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 26 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

View PostQuisEstRex, on May 26 2009, 08:42 PM, said:

you've got pro tools ? that's tight ! way off my budget ;-)

I had it once. now, no more :-)
FL didn't feel right, probably because it's more loops oriented then I care for...

no one can afford waves, that's why I get a big grin every time someone asks me to do a pass on his wav with L2 or C1 :)

now that's amazing !
I always thought you need programming skillz to write vsts, but now all you need is music theory skillz, unfortunately I lack in both :-(
seriously though, you're a true pro when you do your own vsts...

p.s. deal fell through, no NI B4 :-(
what do you guys suggest I use instead ? I was rethinking that Toxic Biohazard by Image Line d3drocks mentioned before for a saw ? I would prefer a free vst though...
p.p.s seems if you have Image Line Toxic III you get Toxic Biohazard free ! note to self, first thing in the morning start making calls...

I mentioned Ogun for hihats. I also love sytrus. the IL guys gave me toxic biohazzard for free as a bonus for doing some presets for them.
the ones I most highly suggest getting are these:
http://www.image-lin...s/toxicbio.html
I have 1 soundbank released publically for this.

http://www.image-lin...nts/sytrus.html

Sytrus is PURE GODLYNESS.
have a listen to the last demotune. done completely with sytrus.
actually, all of those songs use only sytrus.
I just like that last demotune because its badass.
I actually have alot of memories with sytrus.
I learned synthisis on it. it was my first synth I ever did presets with. probably a bad choice on my part, but man. am I ever happy I ran into it.
this is one that, if you plan on getting, I HIGHLY SUGGEST taking the discount on. its a pricey little tool, but man does it ever scream.

EDIT:
they also ahve this one: http://www.image-lin...s/morphine.html
while I dont own it, I am very farmilliar with it, and was very active with the beta version of it.
it specializes in instrument recreation. it has specal "sample chargers" which can convert samples into synthisis with a bit of tweaking. I have absolutely no idea how it works, but man, it pulls of some amaizing stuff. this is one that you should definately try the demo of first though. it can be a complicated little thing. they do have in depth tutorials for it (if you can get past the guy with an extremely heavy scottish accent.)
demosong 17 is a good example of it recreating instruments. that one is a classical guitar and a harp both following the same pattern.
ide also check out demosong 24. that one is also a good example. harps and cellos. I have used those presets, so I can tell you that its not a mockup.

This post has been edited by d3drocks: 26 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options